Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

i wouldn't have guessed that the level of 'serious' spear talk would be so irresistible

and to me, admittedly, kinda stupid per the overdone way and we don't even know what's coming in the details of future changes

but then it is the internet, much as we try to differentiate es 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

But when you see shots of the crowds (along with the racial disparity in ticket purchases to pro sporting events), and think of how far and wide the fanbase is (or used to be), it's predominantly white, yes?

Nope. I think its a mixture of everything..

Honestly I don't even know how I could support this team anymore.. I won't be able to wear my old gear, and I just wear polo's, without the idea of being judged as some racist despite the fact I come from a mixed race household. I mean can we even wear the old colors??? Sure you change the name but the colors still represent the old tradition, and you know someone down the road will make that argument.... I mean when it gets to the point where my fandom could affect my future I gotta consider ditching the team.. Not worth the hassle.. That what this name change means..

31 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

Spears have been decorated with tassels and feathers since the Paleolithic times, many many tens of thousands of years before Native Americans crossed the Bering Straights...It's part of our collective human nature...

So, the idea is that a team that's been pressured to get rid of it's name that's considered offensive to Native Americans, and who are further being told to remove all NA imagery, to revert to spears and/or feathers, the same objects used during the period they are being criticized for, and then, when asked if they are continuing their use is related to Native American iconography, to basically reply like this?

PersonalGivingArieltoucan-size_restricte

source.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Correct. One black man is the most prominent figure that pops into your head when you think of Skins fans in mock Native getups. One. Black. Man.

But when you see shots of the crowds (along with the racial disparity in ticket purchases to pro sporting events), and think of how far and wide the fanbase is (or used to be), it's predominantly white, yes?

I have no idea what you're  trying to ask me here. Could you elaborate?

This is turning into a congressional hearing 😆

Congressional hearing on Jerusalem shuts out Palestinians | The ...

10 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Nope. I think its a mixture of everything..

A "Mixture of everything" doesn't mean there isn't a dominant feature, in a vacuum. The US is a mixture of all different races and religions, White Christians being the majority, and that would still apply even if one Black Christian, or a group of Black Christian's were the most visible

8 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I have no idea what you're  trying to ask me here. Could you elaborate?

This is turning into a congressional hearing 😆

Well, I generally am straight to the point, and respectful, when I actually care what the other person has to say (and aren't that familiar with them). Helps with communication 

So... Should I still care? :)

21 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

You have been a E.S. member since 2006 and according to your profile a Redskins fan since 1995, Im not picking on you when i ask this is something that has been eating away at you all these years ? Thats terrible if the answer is yes.

beyond absurd Orwell quotes, it seems your focus in this thread is on getting people into “gotcha” moments 

what are you trying to accomplish with this line of questioning?what do you think the answers to these questions will  show?

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

beyond absurd Orwell quotes, it seems your focus in this thread is on getting people into “gotcha” moments 

what are you trying to accomplish with this line of questioning?what do you think the answers to these questions will  show?

Careful Harry, my Spider Dumbass Senses are tingling :unsure:

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I have a question for Those of you who support the name change and find it offensive. Before the past year or so errr before 2016  , before  Kap & NFL flag kneeling,  did ya'll  just suffer in silence all these years ? Because the truth of the matter is some of you who are most adamant on "doing whats right" never made so much as a peep in regards to your desire for the Redskins to rebrand as something else, something less offensive, Can all of you honestly sit here and tell me not a single one of you own Redskins merchandise with the native American logo?  Or did you just become enlightened in the wake of the recent social issues effecting the country ?

Just a honest question expecting honest answers. 

Yea. I bought something that says redskins on it three weeks ago. The name doesn’t bother me.

But so what?

What about the people who it does bother?  Is the name of a football team that important that it’s worth offending a substantial amount of people who have always been vocal about it but whose voice was drowned out until now?

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I have a question for Those of you who support the name change and find it offensive.

I'm not offended by the name but i'm fine with a name change. 

Like anything in life you pick your battles wisely, this doesn't seem like a battle worth fighting for.

21 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Encapsulates just where I'm at too. 

Sadly waiting to move on. 

To quote one of the two greatest English exponents of the arts 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.'

Memory's my friend. They can't take those. 

Hail. 

it’s all good.

You can still sing Nazi drinking songs and launch fireworks at Gypsies at EPL games.

Probably.

1 hour ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Yea but with this change I just feel like I'm being told my fandom for my team was wrong the entire time.

I think you're doing that to yourself. Darrell Green will always be my favorite Redskins player like some people with Wes Unseld being the greatest Bullet.

You have to separate this from the idea that the Washington fans have been malicious and racist for some purpose. That isn't the case at all. 

For all the people skeptical of the name change because they're concerned that real things could be done to help Native people, they'll be happy to hear that today the Supreme Court backed the federal legal standing of an old treaty and declared large portions of Oklahoma to be Native reservation land, even though the state of Oklahoma argued that there are just too many white people unaware that they are living on Native land currently residing there, for a change to be fair. 

Big legal victory for Native people and an important precedent.

1 hour ago, carex said:

Can I ask why the threads have been divided up as they have or closed?  I don't understand it.

your post actually is a rule violation---read rule 18--should be in feedback/tech support forum where all comments and questions about board/mod actions go

but this thread is going to be closed for a couple hours so people can "catch up" with what will be an adjusted op to do a reboot that's less restrictive on what you can post in here  rather than our preferred course of keeping it more focused (with apologies to those of you who are able to regulate yourselves)

everyone can take a break, when you return you'll want to read the new thread title and op carefully

you'll have to wait a bit for the new op to be made

I saw a video on youtube...guy was saying Snyder is a tone-deaf idiot because he was claiming the team name was meant to honor NAs, not slur them...then said Snyder was too stupid to know that the name meant the bloody scalp of an Indian, and then showed the one singular notice about the horrific bounty program that mentions "red-skin". It's the only thing in existence that connects the name with that barbaric practice on even a minuscule level. He didn't mention anything else about the name. That was enough.

He then went on to claim both the Annenberg and WP polls were "flawed" because...well, you know the normal criticisms (self-identify, "only" 500 people polled, etc). It was like watching that guy in the bar in Good Will Hunting who was trying to embarrass Ben Affleck by passing off his memorization of economic theories as his own original thoughts lol...lots of arrogance and a ****load of condescension accompanied his rant that I'm positive he felt was airtight and beyond dispute.

**** like this bothers me. We're gonna have a new name--fine, whatever. But don't rewrite history in the process.

*Edited due to bringing frustration and irritation from youtube over here unnecessarily lol...

• Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic

ok---new op and title is up; pinned stadium thread with new op directing all talk here, gonna pin this one, too

will open this one at 5pm eastern 

opened

read the new op

thenk yew veddy much

• Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I think you're doing that to yourself. Darrell Green will always be my favorite Redskins player like some people with Wes Unseld being the greatest Bullet.

You have to separate this from the idea that the Washington fans have been malicious and racist for some purpose. That isn't the case at all. 

I'm sorry, I can't.. How do you bring up the past anymore when we do pregame ceremonies bringing back old players?? You gonna show highlights with Herzog saying touchdown washington redskins? Can't do that. What makes you think won't go further and associate the uniform colors to the old redskin team and demand those be changed too??? We can't have throwback nights in DC anymore when the NFL wants to celebrate an anniversary.. We're just awkward now. its a feeling I hate and I'd rather not deal with it, get my Sundays back and just not watch the NFL anymore.. I already live in a city that had an NFL franchise get stripped away. They learned how to move on. So can I..

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

it’s all good.

You can still sing Nazi drinking songs and launch fireworks at Gypsies at EPL games.

Probably.

If anyone was going to crassly bring fascism into this of all topics in a lame attempt to be funny .....

But regardless, what, prey tell, is the 'EPL?'

Hail. 

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

When do you think we'll get a decision?  I'm thinking in a week or so.  If Schefter is correct that they won't have a name that has any Native American connotations or symbols, then it sounds like they've whittled it down a bit.

you should have seen the list that dan gave me of his own ideas, and while it was widely varied i heard my voice repeatedly saying "no, no, that's going to be the same sort of problem...yes, yes,  i know you don't mean anything wrong..."

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

When do you think we'll get a decision?  I'm thinking in a week or so.  If Schefter is correct that they won't have a name that has any Native American connotations or symbols, then it sounds like they've whittled it down a bit.

Im hoping it’s soon so we can get over this **** and move on personally. I would think Dan has had have a few ideas rolling around in that head of his for sometime now even if he didn’t really want to address the situation. 

Archived