Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

43 minutes ago, Koala said:

I dont understand why we are still talking about this.  How is Snyder this ****ing retarded when it comes to media relations?  It boggles the mind.  FedEx, Amazon, now even Loudoun County are lining up to condemn the team name.  This is clearly different than the other times.  This is clearly the end of the "Redskins" name, the current socio-political climate makes it impossible for such a controversial name to survive beyond 2020.  Its over, Dan, its obviously over, its over to anybody with a set of eyes.  Why hasnt there already been an announcement?  Every second that the announcement is delayed, damages whatever might be left of this Franchise's reputation.  The franchise is starting to look as obtuse and tone-deaf as that Police Union chief that was screaming about, "Why cant people just show us the respect we deserve."  Dan is making it ridiculously  ****ing hard to root for this franchise.   

Look, if Dan doesnt make an announcement soon that the team is beginning the process of looking for a new name, then Im done with this franchise.  Im done.  **** them.  Not even because Im so offended by the name, but I am offended by this unnecessary obsequiousness.  Get over it, you man child, the world has dictated you cant have your team-name.  Grow up and move-on.  It just such a douche move to make, at this time in history.  All Im asking Dan to do is not be biggest **** in the D.C. area not named Donald, and he's struggling way too much with that task right now.   

Don't have a lot of patience, do you?

Excerpt from Les Carpenter’s Washington Post column.  I mean it’s fairly obvious at this point that Warriors is going to be the name am I wrong?

“It is unclear whether Snyder already has settled on a name. Rivera’s comments seemed to indicate a small pool of likely contenders, but he didn’t provide more details.  Rivera said repeatedly that he and Snyder want the name to “honor” Native Americans as well as the military. (The Redskins have long had a close relationship with the military, based in part on the franchise’s geographical connection to military headquarters.) The coach said he hopes the franchise will reach out to Native American leaders and military officials to be sure the name the team picks will be respectful to both.”

1 hour ago, Koala said:

I dont understand why we are still talking about this.  How is Snyder this ****ing retarded when it comes to media relations?  It boggles the mind.  FedEx, Amazon, now even Loudoun County are lining up to condemn the team name.  This is clearly different than the other times.  This is clearly the end of the "Redskins" name, the current socio-political climate makes it impossible for such a controversial name to survive beyond 2020.  Its over, Dan, its obviously over, its over to anybody with a set of eyes.  Why hasnt there already been an announcement?  Every second that the announcement is delayed, damages whatever might be left of this Franchise's reputation.  The franchise is starting to look as obtuse and tone-deaf as that Police Union chief that was screaming about, "Why cant people just show us the respect we deserve."  Dan is making it ridiculously  ****ing hard to root for this franchise.   

Look, if Dan doesnt make an announcement soon that the team is beginning the process of looking for a new name, then Im done with this franchise.  Im done.  **** them.  Not even because Im so offended by the name, but I am offended by this unnecessary obsequiousness.  Get over it, you man child, the world has dictated you cant have your team-name.  Grow up and move-on.  It just such a douche move to make, at this time in history.  All Im asking Dan to do is not be biggest **** in the D.C. area not named Donald, and he's struggling way too much with that task right now.   

Who pissed in your cornflakes? They made a announcement 5 days ago. Relax. Breath. Eat a snickers. 

13 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Excerpt from Les Carpenter’s Washington Post column.  I mean it’s fairly obvious at this point that Warriors is going to be the name am I wrong?

“It is unclear whether Snyder already has settled on a name. Rivera’s comments seemed to indicate a small pool of likely contenders, but he didn’t provide more details.  Rivera said repeatedly that he and Snyder want the name to “honor” Native Americans as well as the military. (The Redskins have long had a close relationship with the military, based in part on the franchise’s geographical connection to military headquarters.) The coach said he hopes the franchise will reach out to Native American leaders and military officials to be sure the name the team picks will be respectful to both.”

See I don’t even know why Riviera said that because the letter stating to even change our colors shows we’re dealing with folks that are not concerned about the name.  They just don’t want the franchise to exist at all in its current state.  And we’re suppose to get their blessing?  NA not the military I mean.  The whole point is to disconnect so why would we get their approval?  It looks like us trying to keep connected.  If they don’t like our name it’s out there we felt the need to ask and you can’t take that back. Maybe the only thing I’d see is if the feather could be kept to use with a spear since the feather is iconic for the franchise.  Get rid of the Indian head completely. 

2 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

See I don’t even know why Riviera said that because the letter stating to even change our colors shows we’re dealing with folks that are not concerned about the name.  They just don’t want the franchise to exist at all in its current state.  And we’re suppose to get their blessing?  NA not the military I mean.  The whole point is to disconnect so why would we get their approval?  It looks like us trying to keep connected.  If they don’t like our name it’s out there we felt the need to ask and you can’t take that back. Maybe the only thing I’d see is if the feather could be kept to use with a spear since the feather is iconic for the franchise.  Get rid of the Indian head completely. 

I agree.  

Here’s what we are up against.. Another excerpt but this time from Erik Brady’s column in USA Today.

“But let’s say, for the sake of argument, that the team jettisons all Native American imagery and still chooses Warriors. Sorry, that won’t work either: Some Washington fans would see it as an invitation to continue dressing up as play Indians — more white guys in war paint.”

Oh, you mean like Chief Zee? 🤔

57 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Don't have a lot of patience, do you?

With Dan, when it comes to media relations, no.  No I dont.  Why give people the opportunity to sit there a line up to take shots at the franchise and its name?  Put it to rest already, get out ahead of the controversy, and for once be a step ahead.  Its just frustrating watching the Redskins bungle their way through media relations, I know for a fact I could do better. 

22 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Who pissed in your cornflakes? They made a announcement 5 days ago. Relax. Breath. Eat a snickers. 

What announcement?  Thats an honest question.

10 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I agree.  

Here’s what we are up against.. Another excerpt but this time from Erik Brady’s column in USA Today.

“But let’s say, for the sake of argument, that the team jettisons all Native American imagery and still chooses Warriors. Sorry, that won’t work either: Some Washington fans would see it as an invitation to continue dressing up as play Indians — more white guys in war paint.”

Oh, you mean like Chief Zee? 🤔

Uh yeah, exactly like Chief Zee. I realize he's beloved within the fanbase and RIP to that man, he grew up and mostly lived in a different time throughout the duration of his fanhood, when it came to this issue. He brought a lot of joy to a lot of people over the years and I know some here had a personal relationship with him. And yet it still counts as a problem--he wasn't Native American but appropriated the look and wore it as gameday dress-up for entertainment value. It's a tough subject given how popular he was but it's not like it's made much better by the fact that he wasn't white, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

that is a ridiculous statement from the writer.  Warriors with no Native imagery absolutely works, and I barely if ever see any "white guys in war paint" at the games to start with.  I've been a Redskins fan all my life.  I have to believe that this was written from Coach Rivera's statement that some Native imagery may be kept.  I think it's quite evident now that will not be the case.  

14 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

that is a ridiculous statement from the writer.  Warriors with no Native imagery absolutely works, and I barely if ever see any "white guys in war paint" at the games to start with.  I've been a Redskins fan all my life.  I have to believe that this was written from Coach Rivera's statement that some Native imagery may be kept.  I think it's quite evident now that will not be the case.  

Absolutely ridiculous, man.  Even if they decide to go with Warriors and honor Native American heritage how is it any different from going with Red Tails and honoring the heritage of the Tuskegee Airmen?

24 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Uh yeah, exactly like Chief Zee. I realize he's beloved within the fanbase and RIP to that man, he grew up and mostly lived in a different time throughout the duration of his fanhood, when it came to this issue. He brought a lot of joy to a lot of people over the years and I know some here had a personal relationship with him. And yet it still counts as a problem--he wasn't Native American but appropriated the look and wore it as gameday dress-up for entertainment value. It's a tough subject given how popular he was but it's not like it's made much better by the fact that he wasn't white, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I’m getting at the obvious fact that Chief Zee wasn’t “White guys in war paint.”

13 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I’d only turn the fan case if they just completely rebranded everything.  I’m not giving more years of my life to a brand new team after decades of misery.  

Sadly we probably will have to though I wish we could keep it.  The feather was always unique. 

There are a ton fans that are going to be done with the Maryland Redwhatevers. You just dont see it here.

Just look at the people that are posting here that dont have an issue with it, the people with thousands and thousands of posts, in other words the 1% hardcore. Do you know how often you have to be on here to get to 20K+ posts!

Just now, -JB- said:

Absolutely ridiculous, man.  Even if they decide to go with Warriors and honor Native American heritage how is it any different from going with Red Tails and honoring the heritage of the Tuskegee Airmen?

The argument they consistently have made, for those of us that have really paid full attention to their arguments over the years, is that Native mascots/imagery being used for sports teams is cultural appropriation and damaging to Native people.  Their argument has never been just the Redskins name...that's the low-hanging fruit.  The ultimate goal is the removal of all Native American imagery from all sports teams.  The Redskins changing will have a domino effect throughout sports.  Might take a while, but all the rest are going to go as well.  We need a benign name that honors no-one and everyone so we don't have to worry about this again.     

1 minute ago, Painkiller said:

The argument they consistently have made, for those of us that have really paid full attention to their arguments over the years, is that Native mascots/imagery being used for sports teams is cultural appropriation and damaging to Native people.  Their argument has never been just the Redskins name...that's the low-hanging fruit.  The ultimate goal is the removal of all Native American imagery from all sports teams.  The Redskins changing will have a domino effect throughout sports.  Might take a while, but all the rest are going to go as well.  We need a benign name that honors no-one and everyone so we don't have to worry about this again.     

I’ve always been fine with changing the name.  I’m fine with honoring no one or nothing as long as it’s fair across the board and schools like Notre Dame have to move away from the Fighting Irish as well.

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I’ve always been fine with changing the name.  I’m fine with honoring no one or nothing as long as it’s fair across the board and schools like Notre Dame have to move away from the Fighting Irish as well.

If a vocal group of Irish make it their mission in life to have it changed, get the support of the National media, and have all their corporate sponsors bounce on them...that one will go also.

40 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It's a tough subject given how popular he was but it's not like it's made much better by the fact that he wasn't white, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

It’s the fact that he used “white men” when the most well known by far “transgressor” was a black man. He should’ve just said “non-Native Americans.” Also, I can’t remember seeing ANYONE in the stadium wearing NA garb for years. I’m sure there have probably been some, but it’s not even remotely the issue this guy makes it out to be. It’s lazy, low hanging fruit writing. 

1 minute ago, Painkiller said:

If a vocal group of Irish make it their mission in life to have it changed, get the support of the National media, and have all their corporate sponsors bounce on them...that one will go also.

Why does it have to be a group of Irish?  Native Americans aren’t the only group of people lambasting the organization for bearing the name Redskins.  Look at Black Lives Matter and how many non blacks are fighting for what they believe in.  If we are truly being fair why aren’t people bringing up the Fighting Irish?  Just the same as why isn’t Desean Jackson getting the same flack for his anti-Semitic rhetoric as a non black person would for speaking anti-black rhetoric??

I can't believe there are people who think monuments is a good idea.

there are so many reasons to stay away from that one.

for starters it's a monument to george Washington and although I believe any significant changes to his memory are a ways off I believe they're coming so we should avoid partially for that reason. 

two, it's a singular statue, how do you pluralize it without it sounding a little ridiculous. 

and lastly, in the words of tom Hanks, "it's a building what's fun about playing with a building" please god in heaven stay away from the Washington monuments.

edit,  I just realized I was posting name suggestions in the wrong thread but I went to the stadium and followed the link and thought i was in the right place, my bad.

13 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Why does it have to be a group of Irish?  Native Americans aren’t the only group of people lambasting the organization for bearing the name Redskins.  Look at Black Lives Matter and how many non blacks are fighting for what they believe in.  If we are truly being fair why aren’t people bringing up the Fighting Irish?  Just the same as why isn’t Desean Jackson getting the same flack for his anti-Semitic rhetoric as a non black person would for speaking anti-black rhetoric??

Generally, I don't disagree with what you are saying, but I think at least some Irish would have to take offense and publicly state they do for the argument to catch any steam.  While the overall percentage of Native people who find Redskins offensive remains questionable...there is no question that a sizable number do take offense.  

9 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Generally, I don't disagree with what you are saying, but I think at least some Irish would have to take offense and publicly state they do for the argument to catch any steam.  While the overall percentage of Native people who find Redskins offensive remains questionable...there is no question that a sizable number do take offense.  

No doubt, I hear you!

10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

He writes for the Undefeated, so no.

The only UnWise Mike I acknowledge.

78A201B5-AD3B-4957-9F39-CFAF8376637A.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

It’s the fact that he used “white men” when the most well known by far “transgressor” was a black man. He should’ve just said “non-Native Americans.” Also, I can’t remember seeing ANYONE in the stadium wearing NA garb for years. I’m sure there have probably been some, but it’s not even remotely the issue this guy makes it out to be. It’s lazy, low hanging fruit writing. 

That’s been a chiefs thing honestly.  They are known for the head dress stuff.  

Honestly that whole head dress thing is overplayed.  Coming from a family that does have some native roots to a tribe originally in Maryland that definitely isn’t normal tribe attire (No I wouldn’t be able to tell you where they stand on this but my grandma did tell me where they reside now there’s schools with the nickname redskins ironically.).  But with all the issues Natives have its very likely they could careless about the random dude sporting feathers on sundays. 

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

Read the thread title. If you want to discuss name options there is a thread in the Stadium for that purpose.

There have been a number of warnings on this now. People are going to start getting some time off.

No.

It appears all of the threads associated with names changes in the Stadium are closed?

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

I agree.  

The more I think about this quote, the more angry it makes me, beyond the "white guys in war paint" line. So ... don't do something because of what some people MIGHT do as a result? What a slippery slope that thought process leads to.

"You can't put that scene in your film because some idiot might misinterpret it."

"You can't wear that dress because it might cause someone to want to assault you."

"You can't read the Koran because someone might think you're a terrorist."

If something's wrong, it's wrong. I don't even think there are many people left who would happily go to a game in full NA gear. As said in another post, I can't remember the last time I've even seen that at a game. This veers into Minority Report territory imo. 

23 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Indiana....let it go 

We get it already you want to change everything.  Maybe we should just send the team to Nebraska and wait for a expansion team then? 

Spears were used throughout history and if we’re the warriors there’s absolutely no reason it can’t be used.  Hell I think of Trojan War before NA as far as spears.  If we were changing from anything else but a Native American reference no one would raise a eye brow to a spear. If someone finds a spear offensive they should consultant a psychologist.

Archived