Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

This issue is draining on the soul. 

The way the media is trying to twist the word Redskins into revisionist racism really makes my blood boil. This false, phony groundswell of offense.

As a cradle-to-grave Redskins fan, I don't think I'll ever understand this cause. I mean, I used to cry as a child when the Redskins would lose football games. This is a lifelong obsession, with nothing but love, respect, and honor behind the name "Redskins" when I've used it. And for someone to look me in the eyes and tell me I'm being racist for using the term, it's like living in the twilight zone.

very well said. honestly, i wake up and say to myself "is this for real? are these people serious?" i swear im in an alternate universe. 

its mind boggling. 

I'm happily cancelling my subscription to the Washington post. (Phone can't auto correct that)

cooley is the best. i love that guy more and more every day. doesnt give a **** what anyone thinks, yet hes got a brain and speaks on the issue with intelligence. 

love it.

the espn first take with cooley is epic. cooley absolutely owns stephen a smith and skip.

starts at about the 38 minute mark. 

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=11393171

a couple of thoughts on this- i love how smith (especially after his dramatic pause at the beginning of his questioning) kept coming up with these questions that he must have thought were 'gotcha' questions', only to have cooley repond with facts that completely rip smiths point to shreds. 

and skip talks about how he grew up thinking redskins was a racist term. yet doesnt admit to hypocrisy in still using it. 

cooley coming out with how journalists forming their opinions without doing any actual research on the issue 'lazy' may be the highlight for me. 

good stuff.

Just out of curiosity....and I'm sure it's liberal media-driven, but why haven't more people who are in favor of keeping the name (like Cooley) given a platform to speak on the topic on TV/Radio?  It's been, to me, almost ENTIRELY one-sided as far as the "debate" is going.  You get breaking news for guys like Tom Jackson, Phil Simms, Tony Dungy, etc. who say they won't be using Redskins when they speak, but never do you get anything other than the occasional blurb referencing anyone who thinks it should remain. 

Just out of curiosity....and I'm sure it's liberal media-driven, but why haven't more people who are in favor of keeping the name (like Cooley) given a platform to speak on the topic on TV/Radio?  It's been, to me, almost ENTIRELY one-sided as far as the "debate" is going.  You get breaking news for guys like Tom Jackson, Phil Simms, Tony Dungy, etc. who say they won't be using Redskins when they speak, but never do you get anything other than the occasional blurb referencing anyone who thinks it should remain. 

They have no interest in debating the topic. In their mind the issue is settled. The term is derogatory and anything that supports that claim will be pushed. Anything that disputes that claim will, for the most part, be ignored. They are all for open mindedness and inclusiveness of ideas as long as you agree with them.

Why isn't espn posting excerpts from the Cooley debate. They wouldn't push an agenda would they?. Nah. Not espn. Last year they did a poll on the name and it was 80% for keeping and they pulled the poll the next day.

Because Cooley schooled them and made them look like idiots.  Hopefully it'll be on youtube.  They tried to counter Cooley at first with extremely weak arguments like "well, if a few people are offended, isn't that enough to change it?"  Cooley countered back and said (I'm paraphrasing here) "there will always be someone offended about something.  You can't change everything, otherwise you'll have anarchy.  A cancer foundation (can't remember which one) has a 97% approval rating.  What about the feelings of the 3% who disapprove?"  Then Cooley said that the media analysts are being lazy with their reporting and spouting off talking points without any facts.  That's when Stephen A. Smith got defensive.  What's so funny is that Skip Bayless at one point admitted he never talked with any Native Americans or did any significant research on the matter; thus, proving Cooley right lol.

It was more in depth than what I covered.  It's a must watch for Redskin fans, or anyone who has an interest in the topic.

EDIT:  I see the video was posted on a previous page.  Awesome.

Smith inferred that Snyder bought tribal antipathy.

Insulting. Ignored what Cooley said about actual concerns about healthcare, alcoholism, and real things real Natives are actually concerned about.

Smith inferred these people told them they didn't find it offensive because Snyder offered money.

Unbelievably insulting

Smith inferred that because there are racists in Virginia who fly the confederate flag  and like the Redskins then all redskins fans who support the name are in fact supporting them.

Incredibly insulting.

~Bang

Smith inferred that Snyder bought tribal antipathy.

Insulting. Ignored what Cooley said about actual concerns about healthcare, alcoholism, and real things real Natives are actually concerned about.

Smith inferred these people told them they didn't find it offensive because Snyder offered money.

Unbelievably insulting

Smith inferred that because there are racists in Virginia who fly the confederate flag and like the Redskins then all redskins fans who support the name are in fact supporting them.

Incredibly insulting.

~Bang

Smith looked really opinionated, insulting ,and biased in that interview. Skip mostly just looked ignorant. I think that's a microcosm of the major problem with the whole name change debate. There's a lot of loud, opinionated, ignorant people who don't care about the facts yelling at the top of their lungs.

Perhaps Stephen A Smith read that deplorable UnWise Mike article in which he implied that all Virginians are racists and homophobes because they like the Redskins.

Again, this is all about Snyder. I read a Wise article from 2011, he used the name Redskins a whopping 23 times! Seriously asshole, what changed for you? did you run out of Snyder haterade for your articles?

Disgusting.

Damn, Cooley did a GREAT job.

I do like that he emphasized the minority dissension in multiple widespread areas (Santa Claus, ACS, our own government)

And when Steven Ahole. Smith gets 'offended' because Cooley states media (Wise, etc) has used it for decades was great. Smiths response that we were alerted 'it was racist' just this year, that made us change... Like it hadn't been referred to as 'racist' back than.

Good investigative journalism Steven Ahole

And Skips poignant insight... Uhhhhh, when I was a boy, duuuuuuu, I used to say 'Red' 'Skin'...uhhhh it just sounded racist, uhhhhh

Yea, great work Skip. (How in the world is this guy gainfully employed)

What's so funny is that Skip Bayless at one point admitted he never talked with any Native Americans or did any significant research on the matter; thus, proving Cooley right lol.

Cooley was spot on with the lazy comment. The media is a big echo chamber. A couple people start an idea and it ping pongs around getting louder and louder until people just go "Oh, well I read it here and I like that guy. It must be true." Which is exactly what Bayless did with the MMQB article.

Smith inferred that because there are racists in Virginia who fly the confederate flag  and like the Redskins then all redskins fans who support the name are in fact supporting them.

When Cooley called him on it Smith was like "Woah, woah, woah... Nobody said racist." Yeah, but you just compared confederate flag supporters to Redskins name supporters. It was weaker than that really. Smith used UnWise Mike to make the comparison.

The sad thing is there were many people who read that Wise column and though "Right on that is a great point." It looks like Smith may have been one of them. I'm sure years ago when the same logic was used to point out communist groups or other fringe people supporting Obama these people scoffed at that idea as being absurd.

Perhaps Stephen A Smith read that deplorable UnWise Mike article in which he implied that all Virginians are racists and homophobes because they like the Redskins.

Yeah, I've never read the Wise article, but I found what Smith said about the Redskins fan base in Virginia vs. DC and Maryland incredibly insulting. So, just because the team practices in Virginia, and has fans who are Virginians, they're supporting racism. What the heck???

I think its beautiful they are now referring to Redskins fans basically as racists. Apparently even all the thousands upon thousands of minority Redskins fans which include Native Americans. I guess they are racist against themselves. This hardline (desperate) approach is going to do nothing but make the fans and supporters of the name angrier and more defiant.

Bring it assholes

On the topic of Wise and sports columnists for the Post: is there anyone worth reading other than Tom Boswell? 

For me, I think since the post is taking a stand against the team...I don't really think it matters anymore.  I'm not reading anything they print, and I'm not clicking on any links in the Breaking News that are written by a Washington Post writer.  I strongly urge all Redskins fans to do the same.  Let them know they are going to pay a price for going against the team and the fans.

For me, I think since the post is taking a stand against the team...I don't really think it matters anymore.  I'm not reading anything they print, and I'm not clicking on any links in the Breaking News that are written by a Washington Post writer.  I strongly urge all Redskins fans to do the same.  Let them know they are going to pay a price for going against the team and the fans.

Yeah, I've found myself reading the Post online less and less lately. Used to read it religiously, both in print (when I was living up there) and online (after I moved to North Carolina). 

It really is a shame its come to this. I really do love the Washington Post. 

Yep, I'm gonna reach out to TK and Hap and ask their opinions about this.

IMO the Wash Post and PFT have no place on ES.

I've got NO problem with no longer posting WP articles here. I just don't want to be banning people that DO start posting them if we were to instigate a "no WP" policy. 

Cooley is the man, he handled that really well.

I've caught the last few nights of Olberdouche's show on espn and he's really trying to lead the charge on this name change.  To call him obsessed wouldn't be inaccurate.  

Olberdouche is right about one thing:  When Redskins sponsors start getting boycotted due to their sponsorship of this team, it's going to change.  Snyder is a businessman, first and foremost and if it affects his bottom dollar he'll change the name.  I've already conceded that this name will change, perhaps in the next few years.  I don't want it to change, but I just think our country is becoming entirely too PC and sensitive to a dangerous point where the vocal minority on an issue can force a change.  Cooley was absolutely right about that and Bayless and Smith didn't address it at all.  Since when does the minority rule and get to influence issues?  

I've said it before, I'll say it again:  I'd love to see what this debate would look like if we never drafted RG3, had his jersey sell the most in Year 1, won the division and then had more nationally televised games than anyone last year.  If all of that never happened and this franchise kept plodding along at 4-12, 5-11 with no superstar quarterback and no nationally televised games, is this debate getting ANY attention at all?

My gut tells me that it doesn't get any traction at all, and to me that's the real shame here.  ****ing media ****storm drummed up out of nowhere.  Minority rules, media talking heads rule.  

Archived