Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

So Snyder is willing to trade 80+ years of tradition for a stadium? All those years of him saying he will never change the name he will do a complete 180 for a new stadium?

I think it's more along the lines of what Bang is saying. If his hand is forced on the name change, he could possibly reap some benefits from doing so. Another possibility that occurred to me is if dropping the name when a move comes is part of the deal, Snyder could theoretically drop Washington from it as well. In a way, it would like honoring the franchise history and keep the Washington Redskins name preserved in time as the last team to officially rep the nations capital. People have mentioned Potomacs as a possible nickname alternative, but I could see it as being a regional reference. i.e. The Potomac Redskins or whatever, instead of using Virginia or Washington. Not saying I like the idea, but I like it better than the Virginia somethings.

Like I said,this works both ways. $$$$ talks. Virginia knows this,(hence the wonderful deal they struck with the Redskins to move camp to Richmond and the improvements to Ashburn. No doubt that the name controversy is a lot more in the public eye now than it was back when these deals struck,but whether it's bigger in a few years or not is mere speculation,(and wishful thinking by both sides),at this point. Either way,it will be about the $$$$ and votes. The team brings a lot of money to the state and if that continues,that could be worth any potential blowback from keeping the name.  That and votes. They'll be polling for sure on that one too I'm sure. Don't have to do the math on that one to decide how that could play in to to it I don't think. 

huffingtonpost.com: "Indigenous Performance Artist Will Experience 8 Hours Of Abuse In 'Redskin'"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/gregg-deal-redskin_n_5711845.html

"In "Redskin," Deal will work with three non-Indian "antagonists" who will act out the abuses, for a total of eight hours, including singing the team song "Hail to the Redskins," donning red face, and comparing Deal to preconceived stereotypes. Deal hopes to transform the site-specific performance, planned for Washington's "Art all Night: Nuit Blanche" event on September 27, into a film, much like "The Last American Indian on Earth.""

He's even planning on having actors physically abuse him to portray the "negativity" of the name Redskin.

All of you who still live in the DC area should go to this on Sept. 27 and do the opposite of their planned skit... encourage him by telling him how great and proud it is to be a Redskin, help him up when the "actors" abuse him, etc... 

maybe it would be great if some local Native American Redskins fans held an opposing performance in honor of the Redskins name...

he's even trying to raise $5k to put on this performance. maybe he's just trying to fill his own pockets...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/redskin-indigenous-art-and-identity

So Snyder is willing to trade 80+ years of tradition for a stadium? All those years of him saying he will never change the name he will do a complete 180 for a new stadium?

Ok. One, nowhere in that article did it say he would change the name in exchange for a stadium. And two, it was Vinny "freakin" Cerrato who put that out there. Never believe Vinny.

Like Park City said, Snyder has the leverage. He can go to Virginia.

Ok. One, nowhere in that article did it say he would change the name in exchange for a stadium. And two, it was Vinny "freakin" Cerrato who put that out there. Never believe Vinny.

Like Park City said, Snyder has the leverage. He can go to Virginia.

I'm not saying that's what is written in the article. I'm saying that people are now going to speculate that he will. Personally, I do not think Snyder would ever pull off such a thing.

Maybe.

Let's face it, the PR problem isn't going to go away.

have you ever known a movement that believes it is righteous to disappear?

As much as I disagree with them, they won't stop. They never stopped when they had zero support, they certainly won't stop now that they have some.

Snyder is facing a few options.

!. hope that against all historical precedence that these protests dry up and disappear.

2. fight for the rest of his life. constantly have his team distracted by this, run the risk of having players or league entities such as officials shun his team, or

3. figure a way out that saves him some face, and gives his fan base some 'peace with honor".

As a smart businessman, he has to be looking at the options #3 affords him.

the NFL has to be thinking the same thing, and would likely offer up some nice money for his stadium to get him to budge them into more positive PR.

They will make it worth his while. right now, aside from 'tradition' etc. the main reason to keep the name is brand recognition and loyalty. Completely financial.

If that problem is solved, there will be movement.

~Bang

I gotta disagree with you bang and think Snyder should go with Option 2. This thing has become bigger than the Redskins. If they win here, it will just swell their heads with arrogance and power and the PC people will not stop. They have already said the Redskins are just the first Dominoe. I actually think the NFL should step in here and put a stop to this. It's a privilege to get to sit around and talk football analysis for the salaries they get paid. It's a privilege to ref the NFL games at the salaries they make. Costas is rumored to make around 5 million, with Buck, Nantz, Michaels making around 3 million. Refs make around 25-75k for 16-20 days of work and whatever clinics they go to. The Redskins are one of the biggest revenue streams for the NFL and these people are hurting our image with false information to almost outright lies. Still waiting for evidence of this "Vast Majority". If these people (PC Crowd) have a problem with covering the NFL and the teams within it, they should go find other work. It's that simple. The Redskins keeping the name isn't going to hurt the NFL brand. No huge numbers are going to stop watching if the Owners all got together and told these people to knock it off or they will take their game to another network. They can have their personal opinions off the air, but on the air when the are covering the NFL they should leave their personal bias out of it. That's not what they are being paid quite well to do. Would anyone miss Tony Dungy, Phil Simms or Bob Costas if they weren't with the NFL? I know i wouldn't their spot would be filled easily and life would go on.

Maybe.

As much as I disagree with them, they won't stop. They never stopped when they had zero support, they certainly won't stop now that they have some.

Snyder is facing a few options.

!. hope that against all historical precedence that these protests dry up and disappear.

2. fight for the rest of his life. constantly have his team distracted by this, run the risk of having players or league entities such as officials shun his team, or

3. figure a way out that saves him some face, and gives his fan base some 'peace with honor".

As a smart businessman, he has to be looking at the options #3 affords him.

the NFL has to be thinking the same thing, and would likely offer up some nice money for his stadium to get him to budge them into more positive PR.

They will make it worth his while. right now, aside from 'tradition' etc. the main reason to keep the name is brand recognition and loyalty. Completely financial.

If that problem is solved, there will be movement.

~Bang

You're probably right, and a reasonable person will eventually succumb to pressure and choose #3.

I wouldn't be that guy though. I'd go to my grave with no money and a shattered football team, but that team would be named the Redskins. 

I hope Dan is the same way.

There will be no day more sad than the day the name changes. I hope I'm not alive to see it. 

I gotta disagree with you bang and think Snyder should go with Option 2. This thing has become bigger than the Redskins. If they win here, it will just swell their heads with arrogance and power and the PC people will not stop.

In all honesty, would anyone here really give two ****s if the Chiefs or Braves changed their names? If the Redskins lose, it means the Redskins lose. I have no emotional attachment at all to any other Native-themed name. St. Johns changed their name years ago, and every year, there is a moment where I see their basketball team and think "Oh yea....They aren't the Redmen any more. Weird." And I then I eat a burrito or something.

Rick Peck: Let me get this straight. You want me to let my client of 15 years, one of my best friends, die in the jungle alone, for some money and a G5?

Les Grossman: Yes.

Rick Peck: [pause] A G5 airplane?

Les Grossman: [whispering] Yes... and lots of money... playaaaa!

Works both ways. Dan could move in to NOVA under the condition there will be no pressure to change the name. :)

and as a Marylander I would hate to see them leave, but I would hate even more for the name to change. I have no problem driving across state lines if I must.  Do it all the time anyway.  :)

The name changers claim "tens of thousands" are offended. Isn't that like .02% of the 5.2 million Natives in the country?

Well, let's say there are exactly ten, ten thousands.  :)  That would be 100,000, which would be exactly a whopping

.02%.    LOL

In order for 10% to be offended as the Annenburg Poll indicated.   

that number is 520,000 people.  Little better than half a million, out of 5.2 MILLION people.

Here is my thing, what is left for the opposition to do that will change more people's minds on the topic?

A Strong Nevada @AStrongNevada 20m

Harry Reid says Redskins owner tried to "buy off some of my Nevada Indians." So Nevada's "Indians" belong to Harry? http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/sherman-frederick/my-nevada-indians-reid-does-it-again 

‘My Nevada Indians’ — Reid does it again

Really, Sen. Reid? Can you possibly go a week without making everyone cringe with some stupid racial statement? Apparently not.

Today Reno political reporter Ray Hagar gives us the scoop from a sit-down with Harry Reid. Get a load of how Nevada’s most senior senator characterizes the Las Vegas Paiutes.

Reid says that the owner of the Washington Redskins tried to bribe the tribe.

“Redskins is a racist name and native Americans believe that,” Hagar reported Reid as saying. “They have tried to buy off some of my Nevada Indians and they have not been able to do that, giving them trucks and stuff like that.”

By “stuff” I hope we can assume Sen. Reid isn’t referring to trinkets and beads, too.

Hagar goes on to say that Reid’s “senior advisor for Nevada media, Kristen Orthman, confirmed that it was the Las Vegas Paiute Tribe that Sen. Reid referred to. “They were approached about being given a van.”

Now, lemme get this straight, he owner of the Redskins football team tried to bribe the tribe with a van? Really? Sounds like a dumb-arse move to me. But if it is true, it would not be the only news.

Don’t you love it when a guy who “can’t keep his Wongs straight” at an Asian Chamber dinner, calls a female U.S. senator “hot” and is thrilled Barack Obama has “light skin” (etc, etc, etc) calls you “my Indian”.

So par for the course. And, so utterly embarrassing for Nevada.

Maybe.

~Bang

I don't know brother.  I see real progress being made on our side.  Personally, I'm fine with a quagmire for the rest of my lifetime.  lol

Likes for "Redskins Facts" on Facebook has grown 39% since last week.  The number of likes is now 71, 475 people...just since 07/07/14 when the page was started.  Except for the same 5 to 10 people, a few of which are just straight up trolls, 99% of the comments are positive about the name from fans and non-fans, and all races and backgrounds to include countless Native Americans.  If you are on Facebook, I encourage you to join the website.  

If you are a Native American fan of the team, I encourage you to join "Native American Redskins Fans" also on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Redskinsfacts/timeline

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NativeRedskinsFans/

Archived