Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

The truth of the whole damn thing right here. She spells it out for you.

http://www.upworthy.com/shes-no-football-expert-she-doesnt-play-in-the-nfl-but-shes-still-qualified-to-talk-about-it

This type of thing will not help them, only hurt them, because even people who may think the Redskins name is inappropriate will think this is over the top.

I want to see the poll that has whatever percentage of NAs that are offended by 'Redskins' are also offended by Chiefs, Infians, Blackhawks, etc.

That will be this teams best defense to end the madness in my opinion. This is the true driving force in name changers IMHO

The problem with that "long term" "decades" thing Jack Evans speaks of though is this....  

If the name EVER changes, it will essentially be seen as an indictment of the team and it's fans from any time earlier than when the name does change that the team was called a derogatory racial slur, and it's racist fan base supported it being called a derogatory racial slur for a century.  My collection of historic Redskins gear and collectibles I have put together over the years that I want to pass down to my family when I am gone will have to be hidden away for fear that my children and grand-children could/will be labeled racists for possessing it. Essentially, if the name changes it will be spun as proof that the name should never have been allowed to be Redskins to start with, and BECAUSE the team did change the name, which is essentially an admission of "guilty as charged," there will be no real way to argue against that "fact" as they will see it.  

"Well, if the name wasn't racist and derogatory than why did they change it?  and your granddad was a racist for having supported them." 

This is sort of wrong. Nobody (reasonable) is saying Washington fans are racist for supporting their team name. And if it changes, nobody is going to say you were racist for supporting it in the past. Feelings towards words change over time. Pretty much every derogatory term today started out as something that was widely acceptable to say in the past. 

However, Chris Cooley did bring up a great rebuttal to this, saying that even still, changing the name will make it awkward and uncomfortable for fans to continue to sport older gear with the Redskins name on it. You wouldn't be called a racist, but it might look at least insensitive to some. That's definitely an issue people need to consider when asking for the name to be changed. It's unfair to say that everything will be just fine for people with current merchandise if it were to change. 

The truth of the whole damn thing right here. She spells it out for you.

http://www.upworthy.com/shes-no-football-expert-she-doesnt-play-in-the-nfl-but-shes-still-qualified-to-talk-about-it

This type of thing will not help them, only hurt them, because even people who may think the Redskins name is inappropriate will think this is over the top.

Did they just create a new football team? I think they put the Blackhawks logo on a football helmet... I could be wrong but I know is wasn't a Redskins helmet.

Did they just create a new football team? I think they put the Blackhawks logo on a football helmet... I could be wrong but I know is wasn't a Redskins helmet.

Goalie helmet.  And I do wish the debate was held in an honest fashion. It seems that we as a society feel the need to argue broad issues by focusing on very specific things, and the bigger picture gets lost.

Associating Native Americans in any way to a power to curse someone else is more derogatory than the name will ever be.

This is sort of wrong. Nobody (reasonable) is saying Washington fans are racist for supporting their team name. And if it changes, nobody is going to say you were racist for supporting it in the past.

Keyword there being "reasonable". 90% of the name-changers don't fall into that category.

They feel Redskins is as bad as the "N-word"...think they won't still be raising a stink about high school students wearing their Skins shirts on school campuses once Snyder caves and changes the name? It will be compared to walking around with "N***ers" on your shirt.

Nobody (reasonable)

this is the key, but many people who wield the ability to influence thousands are arguably being unreasonable.  Maybe not directly calling us racists, but the innuendo has been popping up in places.  

For me, even racially insensitive is a problem, because I don't believe that it's either one, racist or racially insensitive.  We cannot allow the opposition to control the message, because if the name changes I very firmly believe the legacy of the team and it's fans will be destroyed over time.  

I have seen some of the opposition on Facebook essentially posting that the name of the Redskins should change, because Marshall at one time refused to segregate and white supremacists marched to keep the team all white.

As if one had anything to do with the other.  When you defeat them in a debate, they resort to ridiculous comparisons.

And the hits just keep on coming. From the link:

George Washington University professor John Banzhaf and his supporters are considering challenging the radio station licenses of Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, but he is also considering a host of other ways to keep the FCC busy this football season.

"My colleagues and I are considering a variety of legal action to use federal broadcast law to attack the continued unnecessary use of the racist term 'Redskins' on the air," Banzhaf told B&C/MultiChannel news, "especially during prime time when impressionable children — Indian as well as non-Indian — are adversely affected."

He did not say what legal tactics among many available he will ultimately opt for (see below), but one would be challenging all the FCC station licenses.

"Another [approach] is to oppose the license renewal of a station in California where the license renewal date is just around the corner," he says, while a third "would be to advise small stations — in markets where there are a significant number of Indians, and not very much interest in D.C. football — that their license renewals will be challenged if they continue to use that word on the air."

And what grounds would there be for denial?

"In each case the underlying legal theory would be based upon what happened with the challenge I helped put together in the early 1970s to the license renewal of a major D.C. TV station. We argued racism because, at the time, the station had no black on-the-air reporters (much less anchors), not any blacks in significant on-the-air roles, even though D.C. was overwhelmingly black. The reaction was immediate — with all of the major TV stations suddenly putting blacks on the air as reporters and in other positions.

"As with most legal documents, the arguments would probably be framed in the alternative. One could argue by analogy to obscenities (including even fleeting ones), to hate speech, to profanity ('including language so grossly offensive to members of the public who actually hear it as to amount to a nuisance'), to the Drug Lyrics Policy, or more generally that using racist derogatory words on the air when it isn't necessary isn't consistent with the legal requirement to operate in the 'public interest, convenience, and necessity,'" he said.

Nothing like a little coercion for a "good" cause.

The truth of the whole damn thing right here.  She spells it out for you.  

Oh yeah, that's it... go ahead and tell off Dan Snyder, but everything is OK with the Seminole Tribe of Florida (New job with the Seminole channel) about the SAME thing she is talking about.

http://nativejournalist.wordpress.com/tag/amy-stretten/

Scroll down a little further and she'll give you some dates about one of her favorite DJ groups... A Tribe Called Red.

I thought this was the coolest thing, and I wanted to share it with you guys.  A Redskins fan posted it on the "Redskins Facts" Facebook page.  This gentleman Louis Weller was one of the four original Native American players on the Redskins.  Sure doesn't sound disparaging to me.   

From a November 15, 1930 program between the University of Idaho and Haskell Indian Institute. Louis Weller is one of the four Native Americans who became part of the Boston Redskins in 1933. Keep in mind, this program predates the Redskins franchise and they were the Haskell Indians. Read the small snippet below his picture and decide for yourself whether or not being called a "Red Skin" is a disparaging word as most media outlets would like you to believe or is a word associated with tradition and pride.

10548822_767452339965290_148919908008214

Thought people might find this interesting.  Here is a HS in California that calls itself the Arabs.  They recently changed their logo:

http://www.newser.com/story/193261/calif-high-school-drops-arab-mascot.html

Wow...you mean to tell me that using a race of people as your team's emblem and name can be seen as a positive by that same race of people? lol...

Got a good laugh at ESPN's poll results today:  http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11451964/redskins-poll-most-favor-keeping-name-dissent-growing

Basically it's "Here are our poll results, but we don't agree with them so we're going to try to distract you with other stuff.  Oh, and dissent is growing."

**** you, ESPN.  

Did anyone else noticed the edited picture? That one came out a couple months back--where the Redskin bust looked like it was decapitated...

Say it isn't so...Lindsey Czarniak has joined the name changer crusade. 

“Covering the team and cultivating the relationships with the owner, Coach Gibbs, the coaching staff and the players will always be a highlight of my career but I do regret that I wasn’t more sensitive to this topic at the time,” Czarniak said. “A big part of that is because of nostalgia. Even today, one of my six-month old son’s first baby gifts was a Redskins Onesie. I prefer not to use the name. If it is offensive to someone and if we know that, that’s all we need to know.”

There we go again with the "If it's offensive to one person..." bull ****. Apparently the MNF sideline reporter is offended too, so she'll refuse to say the team name.

Seriously white people, if you're so offended, take a real stand and don't cover the team. Or use the "blood money" and give to some needy Native American charities.

I'm beyond done with this bull ****.

And yes, Lindsey has sold out.

“Covering the team and cultivating the relationships with the owner, Coach Gibbs, the coaching staff and the players will always be a highlight of my career but I do regret that I wasn’t more sensitive to this topic at the time,” Czarniak said. “A big part of that is because of nostalgia. Even today, one of my six-month old son’s first baby gifts was a Redskins Onesie. I prefer not to use the name. If it is offensive to someone and if we know that, that’s all we need to know.”

Anyone else notice how she says she prefers NOT to use the name WHILE using the name? 

There we go again with the "If it's offensive to one person..." bull ****. Apparently the MNF sideline reporter is offended too, so she'll refuse to say the team name.

Seriously white people, if you're so offended, take a real stand and don't cover the team. Or use the "blood money" and give to some needy Native American charities.

I'm beyond done with this bull ****.

And yes, Lindsey has sold out.

It would not surprise me to hear about an ESPN mandate on the issue

"If it is offensive to someone and if we know that, that’s all we need to know.”

So what's your solution Lindsey, because your logic leaves you at a segue. Some people find the use of the name offensive. OTHERS find the attempts ot refrain from using it, and the message that's sending, is offensive. You're being "offensive to someone" either way, so the BS notion that you're doing it so as not to offend is itself hollow.

There's a ton of **** that offends me but I'm not going to tell others how to feel or react, I wasn't raised that way.

I never thought our great country would fall this far, I'm coining this era or generation as the PC Generation or PC Era.

Of course, Kardashian Kulture works too.

Got a good laugh at ESPN's poll results today:  http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11451964/redskins-poll-most-favor-keeping-name-dissent-growing

Basically it's "Here are our poll results, but we don't agree with them so we're going to try to distract you with other stuff.  Oh, and dissent is growing."

**** you, ESPN.  

from the comments....

This whole argument is ridiculous! Words are not the problem here, it is intent in the way that they are used. We all know that this name for the team was not created in bias and that the far left is trying harder everyday to create a divide in this country. When do we stop changing the vocabulary in this country? Every time someone uses a word in a derogatory fashion we just toss it out? Words are just that, words and when they are not being used to hurt anyone as in this case people need to get past it and just move on to bigger things.

that guy gets it

Archived