Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

How does Harry Reid get away with saying some of these things?

"Barrack Obama is more appealing because he's light skinned without a Negro dialect"

"Asians aren't smarter"..."too many Wongs"

"My Indians"

Oh that's right, because he's a Democrat.

A better snow job has never been done than this party convincing minorities that they hold the monopoly on supporting them, and I'm loyal to neither party.  I think for myself. 

980 talked to Jack Evans, the anti name DC City Councilman, yesterday I think it was. He said the name should not be a consideration for a move of the team back to DC. His view was that long term (decades), the ownership will change and the name will change and that should not influence getting the team back to DC. He talked about how Jack Kent Cooke and DC leadership got into an ego battle over a new stadium and that lead to DC losing the team. Now Cooke is dead, the DC Mayor at the time is gone and the city lost the team. The city gained nothing from that fight and the two parties who were bickering are long gone.

He said DC wants the team in a stadium on the site of RFK. The city would pay to clear the site and the team and the NFL would have to build the stadium. 

It's only a matter of time before these councilmen cave in. They're practically salivating at the Redskins coming back to DC.hahaha Their pockets are screaming and they have $$ signs all in the eyes. It's really on DC's end to lose, again. Snyder knows that VA has been overwhelmingly supporting the team for years and they've been wanting to host the Redskins. Snyder is pretty much in a win-win scenario.

SUU removes Harry Reid’s name from building

www.thespectrum.com/story/news/local/cedar-city/2014/08/28/suu-removes-harry-reids-name-building/14779347/

CEDAR CITY – U.S. Sen. Harry Reid is no longer a part of the Southern Utah University Outdoor Engagement Center. SUU President Scott Wyatt decided to make some changes that called for the Nevada senator’s name to be removed from the building.

Several months ago, some concerned citizens met with Wyatt, calling for the removal of Reid’s name from the center.

No wonder that asshole is attacking us again, he's trying to save face.

The problem with that "long term" "decades" thing Jack Evans speaks of though is this....  

If the name EVER changes, it will essentially be seen as an indictment of the team and it's fans from any time earlier than when the name does change that the team was called a derogatory racial slur, and it's racist fan base supported it being called a derogatory racial slur for a century.  My collection of historic Redskins gear and collectibles I have put together over the years that I want to pass down to my family when I am gone will have to be hidden away for fear that my children and grand-children could/will be labeled racists for possessing it. Essentially, if the name changes it will be spun as proof that the name should never have been allowed to be Redskins to start with, and BECAUSE the team did change the name, which is essentially an admission of "guilty as charged," there will be no real way to argue against that "fact" as they will see it.  

"Well, if the name wasn't racist and derogatory than why did they change it?  and your granddad was a racist for having supported them." 

Potomacs is looking better and better these days. It would be ultimate proof that the issue isn't as straightforward as many dummies think. I'm still totally against changing the name, but if it happens it'd be nice to have the opposition (at least the fake, Washington Post types) feel as stupid as they should.

Some person named Jim mclellan- claiming to be a teacher of native American history for over 40 years- said in the Washington bleeps op ed page today that there's 'no doubt the term had its origins as a racial slur'.

Throwing out completely unsubstantiated claims as fact is the new black these days, so it would seem.

Gotta love our educators.

Potomacs is looking better and better these days. It would be ultimate proof that the issue isn't as straightforward as many dummies think. I'm still totally against changing the name, but if it happens it'd be nice to have the opposition (at least the fake, Washington Post types) feel as stupid as they should.

Potomac redskins is better

Some person named Jim mclellan- claiming to be a teacher of native American history for over 40 years- said in the Washington bleeps op ed page today that there's 'no doubt the term had its origins as a racial slur'.

Throwing out completely unsubstantiated claims as fact is the new black these days, so it would seem.

Gotta love our educators.

Potomac redskins is better

I see, he was a teacher of Native American History for 40 years, and now he is a political activist.   

With all his years of teaching Native American History, he surely must know who Ives Goddard is then right, and if so he very likely knows about Ives Goddard's EXTENSIVE study on the term "Redskin," so he must know that he is patently incorrect about the origin of the word being a "racial slur"

My response to him would be....PROVE it.  

Decided to boycott Ed Schultz for a while, since he's decided to take up "the cause" of changing our name. He's had several folks on over the last couple of months, but the "young yahoo" on Thursday night, 2 hours before our preseason game was not only doing a poor job of presenting his case (he's young & easily influence, I think), but let all of his emotion get away from him when he was trying to slam Dan Snyder personally with the comment, "The team sucks!"

Then we went on to a sweet win.

(Btw, both men used the term "Redskins" in the interview. Thought that went a little against the "code", but whatever. I guess some people are only offended some of the time.)

It's all or nothing for the name changers. Changing the name won't satisfy UnWise Mike, Keith Olbermann, Sue Harjo, Amanda African-American Horse, Harry Reid, Bob Costas, or the liberals. They won't it all gone and that includes historical videos, photos, and artificats in the HOF.

I presume you're an adult, correct? And you believe in curses? Ugh

Oh man, just goes to show, if you don't have a good point... make up ANYTHING.

Talk about saying "dumb things"

See...this is the type of thing that gives me plenty of reason to have hope. In order to keep pressing this issue the opposition is going to have to go way way WAY out in left field to keep this issue at the forefront of the news, and the nore they speak the more regular people of all races and backgrounds are going to see them for the loons they are.

I'm surprised that came out of Gyassi Ross's mouth. He's a respected Native lawyer and a good writer.

Just last year he wrote that the name issue isn't a problem for Natives and that his son is a diehard Redskins fan because of the logo.

I wonder if Halbritter bought him off too.

A classic debate strategy is if you don't have enough facts to effectively counter your opponent's point, then try to damage their credibility in an attempt to weaken the validity of their argument and try and bring them down down to your level.  This is a classic failed example of that tactic and it's a classic example of what the name changers have been doing throughout most of this debate.

I don't know Mike Ditka personally, but I've never heard charges or allegations of racism against him before this and to suggest that he is a racist merely because of the era in which he was alive and actively played football is to suggest everyone from that era is.  The statement of "Ditka became a coach so he could impose his will on people of color" and statement of "the reason why Ditka isn't coaching anymore is because he couldn't accept input from people of color" would be insulting if it weren't so ridiculous.  Is Mr. Ross aware of the fact that Ditka traded an ENTIRE draft to select Ricky Williams?..  Who just happens to be a person of color.  That's a hefty price to pay in order to merely have an opportunity to submit you will on someone else, as Mr. Ross alleges...

And what of this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5207667

Coach Ditka is defending Gale Sayers, another person of color and "segregation era player", against against Brian Urlacher, who just happens to not be a person of color.  If Ditka is a racist, he certainly isn't very good at it.

“segregation-era football player who became, appropriately, a coach of – of a team – a team – an NFL team that was comprised largely of black players that he could dictate his will to.”

“There is a reason why Mike Ditka is not a football coach now and is a commentator and that’s because he can't take input from people of color.”

^^From BleedBNG's link.

I don't recall ever seeing a better example of slander in my life, and this is from somebody who should know better.  I hope this guy gets raked over the coals for this...as he should. 

“is at the point where he’s asking for Mike Ditka and Sarah Palin to give him credibility on a topic that relates to social justice and race and ethnicity and Native Americans.”

Dan Snyder asked Mike Ditka and Sarah Palin to give him credibility?  I must have missed that one.  All this does is help us.  Just like when Amanda Blackhorse came clean about the real intent of this "movement" and said the Chiefs should change their name also.  Their fans where like, wait....what?  Why?

The truth of the whole damn thing right here.  She spells it out for you.  

http://www.upworthy.com/shes-no-football-expert-she-doesnt-play-in-the-nfl-but-shes-still-qualified-to-talk-about-it

This type of thing will not help them, only hurt them, because even people who may think the Redskins name is inappropriate will think this is over the top.  

Archived