Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

re my post above-

this is the problem i have with the name changers- they apparently believe that because a name CAN be used in a negative way, that we should do away with it. they ignore the fact that context (along with intent) actually define words.

the fact that the words original meaning is benign only makes this belief more ridiculous.

"redskins" as a slur is an extreme minority ****ization of the word. that should not redefine the word itself as a "slur".

I'm in the, "I don't care either way," crowd.

im not even sure what to say about that

Back in the 90s I made a comment about Monica Lewinsky being a bimbo. A woman I worked with said that was an offensive term. When I asked her why she replied "because it is only ever used to describe women. "

"Have you ever called a woman a wimp, or an @$$ h-le?" I asked.

"No."

"So those are derogatory terms used exclusively for men, yet you don't find them offensive and have in fact used them on many occasions. "

Somehow she didn't see any correlation, and probably called me the 2nd one after I left.

Lindsey Czarniak 

"If it is offensive to someone and if we know that, that’s all we need to know.”

My god, is this really the standard we want to set in this country?  If someone is offended by something, ANYTHING, that's all we need to know?

These are downright scary times we live in.  I worry about our country, I really do.        

Got a good laugh at ESPN's poll results today: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11451964/redskins-poll-most-favor-keeping-name-dissent-growing

Basically it's "Here are our poll results, but we don't agree with them so we're going to try to distract you with other stuff. Oh, and dissent is growing."

**** you, ESPN.

Hahaha. I love it! ESPN and the media is trying so hard to convince the public that the name is offensive and they are failing miserably.

Got a good laugh at ESPN's poll results today:  http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11451964/redskins-poll-most-favor-keeping-name-dissent-growing

Basically it's "Here are our poll results, but we don't agree with them so we're going to try to distract you with other stuff.  Oh, and dissent is growing."

**** you, ESPN.  

Well I think their point is that if nearly a quarter of people think it's offensive, that's way higher than it's ever been in the past. If the percentage keeps rising at this rate then it's only a matter of time before sponsors are pressured to force change.

Also, most people are stupid, as you guys have pointed out many times in this thread. Maybe the name should change, maybe it shouldn't. But I'm not going to let the fact that the majority of people think something influence how I think. The majority is often wrong (not that I'm necessarily saying they are in this case).

If the percentage keeps rising at this rate then it's only a matter of time before sponsors are pressured to force change.

Not likely.  I strongly suspect that the point of diminishing returns has been reached on this issue for the naysayers to convert more people to their side.  

Who is going to change their mind on the issue that hasn't already?

Associating Native Americans in any way to a power to curse someone else is more derogatory than the name will ever be.

Let alone that is not the NA Way, 

EDUCATION AND PASSION IS YOUR KEY TO A STRONGER CULTURE. HATE ONLY BREEDS MORE HATE. A FIGHT IS ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR REASON.

What is there to say?  It's simple, they can change the name or keep it.  I don't care.  They can call them the Washington Pencils for all I care.  It's just a name. 

Redskin2.jpg

http://www.badeagle.com/2008/05/06/redskin-magazine-no-kidding/

Redskin Magazine–No kidding! by David Yeagley · May 6, 2008 · 22 Comments ·     

For those who may not know, there is an entertainment magazine by and about Indians called Redskin Magazine. You’d think that would break all those little liberal hearts out there–especially the ones that campaigned so desperately against the Washington Redskins professional football time (like, heavy-weighted Suzan Harjo). Well, well. Sometime, liberal-trained protesters are just wrong. They don’t stand for Indians at all. I certainly never believed they did myself, but, then, those same liberals were just so very sure was the one “off the reservation.” (Or, should I say, still on the reservation? That liberal jargon is so hard to make sense of.)

COVERS.jpg

- See more at: http://www.badeagle.com/2008/05/06/redskin-magazine-no-kidding/#sthash.N7qVsEd1.dpuf

This story is so old.  Make it stop please. 

The only way to make it stop is to change the name, unfortunately.

I'm in the, "I don't care either way," crowd.

Don't do that.  Don't let this debate just....make you ambivalent.  Don't get tired and give up.  I mean if you REALLY want it to change, that's fine, I understand.  But don't just get tired and give up, don't let them wear you down.

My god, is this really the standard we want to set in this country?  If someone is offended by something, ANYTHING, that's all we need to know?

These are downright scary times we live in.  I worry about our country, I really do.        

I agree 100%.  Scary times indeed. Majority doesn't rule anymore.

Who rules?  Those with the loudest voices and the ones that can get the media on their side.  

I'm pretty sure that ESPN poll now means that Larry has switched sides.

USA! USA! USA!

I'm assuming you don't mean me, since I can't think of a single thing I've said on this topic that would lead to that conclusion.

But I can't figure out which OTHER Larry you're referring to, either.

BSPN is having yet another debate on the team name issue, only this time Chris Cooley will be the lone supporter of the name. He'll be attacked by 5 other white dudes who claim we're all knuckle dragging racists.

From this Roody-Poo:

Hope you'll watch all our coverage of the R-Word debate, tonight at 8 on ESPN2

Nice job eliminating ANY appearances of objectivity dumb asses.

Why won't I stand for name change?

Because I will never stand to have anyone call me a racist when I know in my heart I am not.

I got called that on Twitter and I was just trying to engage in conversation to express my view on the name, never once did I actually use the name either.  ,--- God should have made us inside out, but how boring. 

I feel badly for anyone who is the victim of racism, a bunch of people rooting for a Football team named to honor is not racism. Racism is mocking, we have not been mocking the mascot of our team. 

I got called that on Twitter and I was just trying to engage in conversation to express my view on the name, never once did I actually use the name either.  ,--- God should have made us inside out, but how boring. 

I feel badly for anyone who is the victim of racism, a bunch of people rooting for a Football team named to honor is not racism. Racism is mocking, we have not been mocking the mascot of our team. 

That's what Wise and his disciples do, they attack and insult. One of Wise's followers once called me a [gay slur that rhymes with maggot] and a bigot in the same tweet.

Irony?

quoted for truth. well said. 

Anyone watching this outside the lines on the redskins name? They asked Amanda Blackhorse about the numbers offended (small minority) and she was not prepared. She was all over the place and looked weak.

The guy supporting the name is really doing well. Amanda responded by accusing him of being paid by the team which looked bad (for her).

Archived