Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I'm starting to wonder what the conversation was between the hosts and their bosses after the show. It seemed that Skip was told to quit talking through his headset after making his few brilliant statements. Both idiots weren't prepared for the poise under fire that Cooley showed. Receiving every punch and countering twice as hard like he's a seasoned t.v. veteran. How much damage control was espn doing behind the headsets.? We will never know. I am betting the post show meeting wasn't the best.

The issue that bothers me is that the media is treating this whole debate as if the Washington Redskins is a democracy and if enough people vote then Dan has to change it. The very stance of the "debate" is a fallacy. To even call it a "debate" is a crock.  

And Smith can take a flying leap. He said, "with all the problems in Virginia". Hey Stephen, "**** You!"

The issue that bothers me is that the media is treating this whole debate as if the Washington Redskins is a democracy and if enough people vote then Dan has to change it. The very stance of the "debate" is a fallacy. To even call it a "debate" is a crock.  

And Smith can take a flying leap. He said, "with all the problems in Virginia". Hey Stephen, "**** You!"

I don't think people up north really know what Virginia is like lol...seriously growing up in northern Virginia is nothing like growing up in the south.

and not only that, but I found the confederate flag bit to be one hell of an insult.  They are still trying to turn this thing into something it is not.  I think Cooley did a great job.    

You know what really drives me crazy.  None of these people who speak out against the name in the media will ever actually acknowledge that there are many Natives who don't care or who do support the team.  Never do they admit this.      

They only present the opposing view.  

Since when does the minority rule and get to influence issues?  

It is worse than that. It is a minority of a minority. If the whole Native American community was united against the name that would be a different issue. There should be some consideration for protection of minority concerns. But only if that minority group is united in their cause. If a vocal sliver of a group is shouting about something but the rest of that group does not care then there should be no issue.

and not only that, but I found the confederate flag bit to be one hell of an insult. They are still trying to turn this thing into something it is not. I think Cooley did a great job.

That was all Smith regurgitating some bull**** that WaPo's favorite Attention Whore wrote a week or so ago.

Wow, Cooley did a great job. Slightly off topic (since we have talked about the main points of the debate for months/years), I'm so impressed with Cooley's post-football career. 

I thought the guy was nothing more than a goofball football player. Since he's retired and been in the media, he has shown me that he's a very smart, articulate, and charismatic guy. Very impressed. 

You know what really drives me crazy.  None of these people who speak out against the name in the media will ever actually acknowledge that there are many Natives who don't care or who do support the team.  Never do they admit this.      

They only present the opposing view.  

That is why Cooley's comment about lazy journalism made Smith upset, and Bayless have to admit his laziness. It was perfect.

That is why Cooley's comment about lazy journalism made Smith upset, and Bayless have to admit his laziness. It was perfect.

I don't think Skip came off too bad in the segment I heard. He seemed much more open-minded than Smith. I applaud him for actually giving credit to Cooley for doing his research. Now, I have to say that I don't have any clue what Skip has said about the name debate previously...if he's been all-in on it being offensive, etc. then my opinion changes. But, based only on the conversation they had, he didn't come off too bad. 

He didn't sound like a jerk at all. He simply admitted that he was not diligent as far as his knowledge of the situation. That was what made Cooley seem to be on point with his responses to questions.

He did his homework and knew about the situation better than either of them did.

I just watched Cooley.

Was it just me or every time that Cooley started to make his point about "You guys are calling me and many other football greats racists." did they decided they needed to got to break or change the subject. It's ok to call name supports racists but when those people want to defend themselves you change the subject?

Either you want to change the name because you think it's racist or you want to change the name because you're a coward. That's what it comes down to. I don't enjoy being called something I'm not and I don't like people who are afraid to draw a line in the sand.

and when Bayless admitted his laziness....I'm thinking to myself, than how the hell can you sit here and say you have formulated an opinion based off of what Native Americans think, without having done any research on the topic and actually talked to Native Americans?  I also thought his "I always thought the name kind-of, sort-of sounded racist" bit was really dumb.  Again, do some damn research and learn what you are talking about before you start spouting off all the time about the issue and essentially start supporting a political agenda without any real knowledge of the facts, or that a Native American opposing view actually does exist.

It is lazy journalism, and it's intellectually lazy.

it's Bang's Kardashian Kulture at work.

For me, I also keep coming back to this question...

Why is the opinion of the offended Native Americans more important than those who are not offended?

Exactly. They both got punked. Skip just handled it a little better by not getting all bent out of shape.

His other point about the cancer society (iirc) was a good one too.

Hey man, if one person is against helping people with Cancer....we have to listen right? 

LOL

This is the funniest thing to me about UnWise Mike...

He will not say "Redskin" but he will call a Native American who supports the name an "Uncle Tomahawk" on Twitter.  No Mike, that's not racist.

That to me says he shouldn't have a job doing what he's doing because he's basically a name calling child.  If you disagree with him, he resorts to name calling.

All while trying to make a bigger name for himself.

UnWise Mike is the least professional writer for any major publication I've ever seen.

It's unbelievable to me a newspaper like the Post would put up with how he behaves.

In all candor, the fact the Post associates with him has had more to do with why I have not bought their paper in a few years than anything else.

~Bang

Archived