Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the greatest thing in Mother Nature you seen?

757SeanTaylor21

There are a couple for me that stand out: • Driving deep in Baja Mexico and coming around a bend on a dirt road & suddenly staring face to face with a Brahma bull that likely outweighed my vehicle. He didn't give a damn about me and I had to wait for him to waltz off the road. • Fishing at Lake Mary just south of Mammoth Mtn (California Sierras) and turning around on the shoreline to find I'm right next to a Black Bear. He proceeded to sniff and forage thru all my gear till he was satisfied there was nothing he wanted (yeah, I can't fish for anything). • Seeing the surf go from lake flat to 25 feet on the island of Kauai in the span of about 24 hours •Surfing giant waves @ Hanalei Bay (Kauai, HI) and losing my board a half mile from shore. Humbling in every sense & the only time surfing that I thought I very likely would die.

Softball sized hail decimate a new car lot in May 95. Punched holes through all of the windshields and through the composite fenders. I stood under a metal awning at the end of our service drive and watched cause get smashed. Like being hit hundreds of times with a baseball bat. Incredible.

A bald eagle stole the first salmon I ever caught in Alaska. I didn't notice him, my partner tells me "get the stringer out of your fish and walk away". He pointed to it as I watched it spring up from the island and come over, snatch my catch, and disappear into the twilight. Pretty cool.

Also, the northern lights. I was in Fairbanks from January to June in 06. We had purple lights, which I'm told is pretty rare. If you have extra money, it is worth every penny. Sometimes you feel like you can reach up and touch them. Plus all the stars....truly amazing.

I have seen a lot all over the world but I think the two most impressive sites for me were Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon. Yellowstone is just a magical, magical place. Beyond words

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 01:30 PM ----------

The waterfalls in Hawaii from a helicopter view and the sunsets in Maui.

The mountains at Machu Pichu.

The views from the Swiss alps.

I really want to see machu pichu. Pictures look incredible

I really want to see machu pichu. Pictures look incredible

I went there 4 years ago. My wife is from Peru. I'm not sure what words describe it. Even though this thread is about mother nature and Machu Pichu was a man made settlement, the surrounding are is incredible. Just incredible how they could live up there and live off the land.

There are a lot of things I've seen that I've been in awe of...

- Victoria Falls on the Zambian side.

- Pride of lions just chillin and feasting on a water buffalo in Botswana.

- Rainbow Bridge at Lake Powell

- Grand Canyon

- Double Rainbow over my village in Madagascar after a major storm that caused several mud slides

It's pretty lame but I work offshore occasionally and saw a shole of sea bass so numerous you felt like you could walk across them was pretty impressive.

Did they have lasers on their heads?!?!? :)

Oh, forgot, when I spent a few days in Seattle as a kid, I got to ride on one of those ferries on Puget Sound, and saw a volcano up close (from the freeway) in Mt Rainier. Looked like something out of a poster. That was also around the time that I discovered that mountains could have snow, which was pretty cool as well.

When I went hiking to the top of Sentinel Dome in Yosemite at dusk, and stayed up there until after dark with my cousin, brother, and dad. Sure we were creeped out the whole way back that we were going to run into a bear or mountain lion with only some knives to protect us, but up there, at 8,000 feet, and without any lights around you can let your eyes adjust to the darkness, lay down, look up at the sky and see so many stars it's impossible to not marvel at their beauty. You can see the thicker cluster of the galaxy around you, and you can easily track satellites floating around in orbit. It's one of the things that reminds you that you're just this small human wandering around on one of countless planets in the mysterious void of the universe.

I'm a pretty big fan of the sun, Yosemite's mountains and trees are also amazing, the drive south from San Francisco along the pacific coast is ridiculously awesome. Big Sur, and the big happy cows just chilling near side cliffs just munching on grass as the sun sets... could watch that all day long. Recently saw Jupiter and some of its moons through a telescope. Humming birds are also pretty amazing.

All in all, I can't name one, but those have come to my mind

Last year while fishing, I was watching an osprey doing the same. The osprey dove and caught a fish and labored to get into the air. After shaking excess water from its wings in mid-flight, it turned to head for its nest only to run into a red tailed hawk that immediately started harassing the osprey for its catch. Both raptors had talons on the fish and furiously fought in mid air. It was a pretty even battle and the outcome was definitely in doubt when out of nowhere, a bald eagle came in and simply plucked the fish from the both of them. The eagle never even broke stride or slowed in the slightest. I could almost hear it say "tax time fellas" as it soared away with the no longer contested catch, It was pretty amazing to watch.

20545153.jpg

On my list ...

• The Grand Canyon - both from the air and hiking to the river
  • Greenland glaciers from the air
  • The Milky Way from a really dark location, and
    the craters on the Moon with a telescope

But seeing the rings of Saturn through a good telescope is genuinely awesome. It's a sight that sometimes brings people to tears when they first experience it.

Wow, a lot of ESer's have seen some really cool stuff. I agree with posting pics...or do we have another thread for that? I forget. But I'd LOVE to see some of the cool things you all are talking about. I'll try to locate the pics of mine and post them :)

I guess scuba diving the great barrier reef for me

Ooooohhh, that's on my bucket list! I'm so jealous! :) Do you have any pics?

I also want to swim with Great White sharks in South Africa. A girlfriend and her husband did that about a month ago and posted their videos on facebook...so awesome!!!

Archived