Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the greatest thing in Mother Nature you seen?

757SeanTaylor21

Wow, a lot of ESer's have seen some really cool stuff. I agree with posting pics...or do we have another thread for that? I forget. But I'd LOVE to see some of the cool things you all are talking about. I'll try to locate the pics of mine and post them :)

Ooooohhh, that's on my bucket list! I'm so jealous! :) Do you have any pics? !

Sure do!

250476_10100188843253659_5953695_n.jpg

25561_779729913099_8064750_n.jpg

25561_779730142639_220851_n.jpg

25561_779729793339_2885022_n.jpg

25561_779729763399_3206463_n.jpg

No I did not take this pic. I believe these are Box Jellyfish.

25561_779729838249_6408783_n.jpg

25561_779729858209_7406331_n.jpg

25561_779729753419_627601_n.jpg

25561_779729773379_4065371_n.jpg

25561_779729967989_6586114_n.jpg

25561_779730137649_2580311_n.jpg

25561_779729748429_983037_n.jpg

25561_779532798119_400610_n.jpg

I also want to swim with Great White sharks in South Africa. A girlfriend and her husband did that about a month ago and posted their videos on facebook...so awesome!!!

I want to get in the Shark cage with those crazy jumping sharks too!

Last year while fishing, I was watching an osprey doing the same. The osprey dove and caught a fish and labored to get into the air. After shaking excess water from its wings in mid-flight, it turned to head for its nest only to run into a red tailed hawk that immediately started harassing the osprey for its catch. Both raptors had talons on the fish and furiously fought in mid air. It was a pretty even battle and the outcome was definitely in doubt when out of nowhere, a bald eagle came in and simply plucked the fish from the both of them. The eagle never even broke stride or slowed in the slightest. I could almost hear it say "tax time fellas" as it soared away with the no longer contested catch, It was pretty amazing to watch.

Damn. Mightly envious of you after reading that, musta been one helluva sight.

Damn. Mightly envious of you after reading that, musta been one helluva sight.

It was pretty fantastic. My buddy was with me and every time since, when we see an osprey, we are both like: "Remember that time...". It was around this time last year that it happened and we have not been to that particular spot in quite awhile. There are several eagle nests on the river there. Perhaps its time for a visit.

I guess scuba diving the great barrier reef for me

I'm going to learn to dive in the next few months. I think I might leave the island for the summer at least and I want that under my belt.

En route to south pacific islands. No land for 1000s of miles. Clear night with innumerable stars, shooting stars every few seconds.

I did that in the Atlantic with no moon. The ship turned off all the lights. It's pretty good on an island too.

When I was in the Navy, we out to sea and using our active sonar. It attracts dolphins, it seems, as the were thousands of them swimming with our ship. As far as you can see in every direction. I have never seen anything like that before or since.

I saw that with sharks when I was in the Navy. They were swimming next to us, thousands of them. Everybody got real quiet, real quick. It was ominous.

Whale watching in Santa Barbara and having a huge blue whale maybe 100' from us out in the ocean. Such an amazing experience

I was gonna say blue whale. You are very lucky to have seen one. Most whale watchers never catch a glimpse of a blue whale.

I would love to see a bald eagle in the wild. To the ones who have, you're very fortunate.

I was gonna say blue whale. You are very lucky to have seen one. Most whale watchers never catch a glimpse of a blue whale.

I would love to see a bald eagle in the wild. To the ones who have, you're very fortunate.

There was a couple Bald Eagles near my old town. I would kayak every day where they usually were and I never saw them. Was in the park they lived in hiking with the dog, never saw them. Everybody else seemed to see them fairly regularly. It started to feel like a conspiracy or like I was the guy in Mallrats who never got to see the sailboat. I would love to see an eagle.

Threads like this are cool, because I realize how much cool stuff I've done and how much more there is to see.

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 10:54 PM ----------

333552_395366823873298_1555566981_o.jpg

Crucian Sun Rise. I see most of them.

704037_390709801005667_1273085309_o.jpg

I wish I had a good sunset photo. This place is amazing.

Here is where I work at.

643901_517971978222346_2058391862_n.jpg

14596_533953489957528_1670204183_n.jpg

Hmmmm. Maybe one of the main areas of Harrison's Cave in Barbados. The cave is about 100 feet tall in that part. It's like standing in Moria (before it got overrun with orcs, that is). Pretty awe-inspiring.

Not too long ago at the Atlanta zoo (I know, I know, but hear me out) there were these two new tiger cubs that had been born. They were still pretty young, it was the first week they were let out and viewable to the public. There were 2 of them playing with the mother. She would grab one by the scruff of the neck and carry it around while the other was chasing after her and nipping at her ankles. The mother would drop the one then go chasing after the other. Catch it, pick it up, and start carrying it around while the first cub was chasing after her and nipping at her ankles. They kept this going for about 10 minutes. You don't often see those moments of activity and playfulness. It was like something out of Planet Earth.

Not so much "great" as really unusual and memorable...One time I was going around DC with a friend of mine, and we were near the Jefferson Memorial, I believe, when we happened upon an albino squirrel at the base of a tree. We were able to get very very close to it. It had these blood-red eyes, like Bunnicula or something. It was crazy. Never seen anything like it.

We were on the Big Island of Hawaii and we went down to see the Kilauea volcano early one morning. The lava flow had changed during the night and moved about a quarter mile east from where it had been, and it burned out the road. So we drove along the coastal highway and the road suddenly just ended at a ledge with a 40 foot wide fast moving sheet of red hot lava flowing past, right below your feet about 10 feet down. It was like being at the crack of Mount Doom. It was hard to breathe and my sneakers were melting. We dropped rocks in and watched them sink in and explode.

The road ran right beside the ocean there, so every time a wave came in, there was a huge hiss and cloud of steam, and the red lava would turn black, then cracks would appear as the top layer of cooled rock slid down into the ocean exposing the red lava underneath.

The funny thing is, for the next few years I thought that was just the way it was - go to the Big Island, get up close and personal with lava. I was sadly disappointed the next time I went there and all i could see was some steam rising up a quarter mile away.

What is the greatest thing you seen happen in Mother Nature?

Happen? Hmmm. I remember when we lived in Fort Leavenworth back in 71-72,Mom Nature provided a storm but couldn't make up her mind whether she wanted it to be a snow or ice storm. Changed her mind several times during the night. When it was all said and done,the storm left about 8 inches of snow and ice,(in layers),with ice being the top layer. My dad was 6 feet 220 at the time and fell in the front yard. Never even cracked the top layer of ice. Needless to say,sledding was legendary the next couple days.

Couple of years later during the Summer,we were at a small horse show outside of Fort Campbell right near the Tennesse/Kentucky state lines. We're sitting there when the skies darkened and things started to look a bit ominous. I looked over at some very low clouds hovering nearby when the winds picked up,and the clouds suddenly started to spin,then get sucked up in to the cloud cover above. :rubeyes: This happened several times. About an hour later we had evacuated,(quickly I might add),to a friends house. I was standing on the deck with my dad and a family friend when the sky turned that milky green and the clouds got that cotton ball look and then they started to move. It looked like the sky was boiling. Weird stuff.

I marveled at the randomness of tornado damage back in 79 when the remnants of Hurricane David moved in to NOVA. Funnel cloud formed right on our street but didn't quite set down before hopping back up again and moving towards WT Woodson,(it actually tried to set down again right near Rutherford pool off of Guinea road. Toppled trees like bowling pins). That whole quiet before the train passes by thing was in full effect when it passed over our house. Took a massive oak tree,(that was nearly dead),in our back yard,snapped it in half,and hurled to the ground so hard,that a branch from the tree was driven several feet in to the ground. Meanwhile about 200 yards down the street,a little tree was bent over. I've seen it snow 3 feet and more in a bit more than 12 hours twice in my life. Holy crap that was some serious snow.

As for greatest things I've seen in nature in general,wow. I tend to love her every day work,(as easily noticed by my photography),so that's a loaded one. :silly:

Bryce Canyon.

3786JM.jpg

Zion's Park

zionstrailsmll.jpg

Sundial Peak in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

LakeFlorencePansmll.jpg

Waterfalls nearby.

Lkblanche5.jpg

Slate Gorge in the Uintas.

Mrrlk1.jpg

One of several hundred small lakes in The Uintas at sunset. You walk over a small outcropping of rocks,a small lake. Walk over a rise,then downhill about 50 yards,another. Rinse. Repeat.

UintasLk.jpg

A rare "moment" near Scout falls in the Timps in Utah. Record amount of water content in the snow in 2011 provided these huge falls due to the prolonged runoff. Usually these falls are down greatly by the mid summer.

timpankee2-1.jpg

Lake Tahoe. Amazing place.

Unedited3.jpg

To name a few. :silly:

(Chose not to buy a camera when I was stationed in South Florida. :doh: Ah the keys and the everglades.

I've been to Bryce and Zion. It was around 94 and I still have vivid images in my mind. Just breathtakingly beautiful landscape.

I love sunrises here. There are so many different colors in layers just before the sun comes up and you look out over the hills and valleys and see the occasional palm tree break the smooth landscape, sticking up out of nowhere. It's bright red and orange near the ground, with layers of clouds, looking like white lines, striping the lower sky, then turning to a bright blue with fat bright white puffy clouds jus kinda hanging there. It's amazing here. Everyday.

"Seen Happen", well the aftermath . . . A microburst. It's a very localized area of destruction. One hit here and there was this area of where thick old Oak trees were just snapped and there was a very clear radius of the destruction. It was crazy. it's like it just stopped and started.

Hurricane Hugo- Charleston SC The things that storm did were unbelievable!

Example- It moved an entire house off its foundation a few streets over and put it in the middle of a road but every book, wine glass etc was exactly where the owner left them nothing moved inside

Hurricane Hugo- Charleston SC The things that storm did were unbelievable!

Example- It moved an entire house off its foundation a few streets over and put it in the middle of a road but every book, wine glass etc was exactly where the owner left them nothing moved inside

Hugo (Hell Under Gods Orders) sat on this poor little island for 24 hours. People say that not even a single blade of grass stood afterwards. Island still hasn't recovered completely. There are reminders everywhere. No power for 9 months in most places. I've heard some crazy stories about it.

Archived