Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan.. Extension or move on, what would you do ?

Lavarleap56

You look at Year 4. If he isn't 9-7 or 10-6 next year, he should be fired next year

That's a ridiculous position to take. We could finish worse than 9-7 and still make obvious strides forward on both sides of the ball. This team is still raw... it's unfortunate that it's still raw but that's just how the cards have played out and patience is going to be necessary if we're going to see this through. We are not in a position like the 9ers were in where we can bring in a new coach and suddenly turn things around... unless Shanahan has actually done a much better job than we have given him credit for so far.

The only reason you fire Shanahan after Year 4 is if the team takes significant steps backwards offensively, makes no progress defensively, and he begins to lose the locker room. You don't extend him after this season by any means and you don't extend him after Year 4 unless we show significant progress. That doesn't necessarily make him a lame duck coach, it just makes it clear that he's on the hot seat like half of the head coaches in the league are at any given moment.

You don't give an extension based on anything besides W-L. This business is about wins and losses nothing else.

I agree and to date MS is what 14-27 about half way through. Not too good IMO. The product on the field speaks volumes of MS apitude in winning in todays NFL.

I agree and to date MS is what 14-27 about half way through. Not too good IMO. The product on the field speaks volumes of MS apitude in winning in todays NFL.

Dead last in the league in penalties also speaks volumes about coaching aptitude.

This is the most glaring issue IMO.

I hear what you are sayin bedlam, but I think fickle is the wrong word.

Fans are smart enough to look around the league and see teams that are playing at a higher level than the Skins, with FIRST year coaches, and worse rosters.

Shanahan should not look this horrible in year three. Even Zorn and Spurrier had better records :doh:

Zorn and Spurrier both quit on their teams - Zorn payed to much attention to the public adoration he got from carrying the roster over from Gibbs and then got caught up in Vinnys attempts to cover his own ass - Spurrier simply did not want to put the work in . Neither lasted more than 2 years but both because of reasons other than simply their W-L record .

And okay maybe I am being more naive than other when I say - actually no I do not see particulary the wrechedness of this team people seem to be in a hurry to convince themselves of to justify going down the tried and tested fireing the HC half way through his contract to get us to the superbowl -

I give you the colts do look good - but outside 2011 they were a very good team - and outside a handful of players (they still have Reggie Wayne, Matthis, Freeny etc) they have a decent core of that team - to go with the phenom that is Andrew Luck

The Dolphins - To be honest look an awful lot like the dolphins of old - but with the bounce of the ball going their way a little more than it did in the past - thier defense is a shade scarrier and Tanehill has done a good job but watching them yesterday i see the same kind of team that Cam Cameron put out ... that said they are reaping the rewards of good drafting in the past in administrations before this one with the likes of Long, Puancy (sp?) and Wake ....from the CFL (and we ended up with Wilson)

Then you have Schiano and again they were a well put together team that had a rapid downward spiral and had the components to bounce back - but look at their 5-4 record this season they lost to us, the cowboys and the Giants (and saints) and have built their record beating up the likes of the cheifs, panthers and raiders ...

Speaking of the Raiders (Denis Allen) - posibly the team you could argue has a worse roster than us with a straight face - have just given up 97 points in the last two games and looked terrible in the process .... can you honestly say they look better or are playing harder than the Skins ..

Then you only have to look around the NFL this weekend - did you see the Giants against the Bengals or the Cowboys/Eagles teams - none of the rest of the NFCE look sharp and poised and the Giants (looked terrible yesterday- one of those days like we had against the Steelers where nothing went right) are a superbowl winning roster ...

the point is looking around the league watching a couple more games than i normally would do I would not say there is a massive rift between us and any other midle of the pack teams out there - The panthers loss was crushing and should have been a game we could have won, and we will win in the future but now is the time to find out if this team has any spirit or backbone at all .

The problem is I see us round about where I would expect us to be this season with this laundry list of starters out with injuries and suspensions and rookies and second year players (especially second year players coming of major injuries) sprinkeled around the roster .. if the fans thought we should be playing for a superbowl this season (which what being a play off team really is) then I think that was an unrealistic expectation - (although an outside posibility if everything had played out for us) and no one should be loosing their jobs on unrealistic perceptions ....

That's a ridiculous position to take. We could finish worse than 9-7 and still make obvious strides forward on both sides of the ball. This team is still raw... it's unfortunate that it's still raw but that's just how the cards have played out and patience is going to be necessary if we're going to see this through. We are not in a position like the 9ers were in where we can bring in a new coach and suddenly turn things around... unless Shanahan has actually done a much better job than we have given him credit for so far.

The only reason you fire Shanahan after Year 4 is if the team takes significant steps backwards offensively, makes no progress defensively, and he begins to lose the locker room. You don't extend him after this season by any means and you don't extend him after Year 4 unless we show significant progress. That doesn't necessarily make him a lame duck coach, it just makes it clear that he's on the hot seat like half of the head coaches in the league are at any given moment.

sorry if you cant make the playoffs 1 time in 4 years, you suck as a coach. i dont care how bad the players are.

If I'm Snyder/Allen I'm looking at available candidates and putting them up against Shanahan to see if any of them have more potential to take this team to the next level. I've read where Chip Kelly of Oregon is ready to move on and runs incredible practices. His record on the field shows how good he is. Given what Schiano is doing in Tampa Bay (with no prohead coaching experience), I would have Kelly at the top of my list to replace Mike Shanahan. I love matching him up with RG lll for the next 10 years (hopefully).

With Chip Kelly, points are going up on the board. We would simply outscore opponents every week regardless of how good our defense is.

Here are some reasons why I'd let go of Shanahan:

- 13 and 27 record during his tenure including a stretch of 8 straight losses at home.

- poor choices of coordinators at certain positions on the coaching staff

- most of Shanahan's 13 wins have come in September meaning teams are catching up to us after film study and Shanahan is not adjusting

- continued inability to win close games

- continued failure to be relevant, even in a division that is down this year.

- near the bottom of the league in penalties

For those of you naysayers about college coaches making the jump to the NFL....think Jimmy Johnson/Troy Aikman. That's what I'd be looking for in bringing in Chip Kelly.

Kelly/RG lll.......now that would be exciting.

Before this season Shanny had my support for an extention past year 5. At the midway point of this season and his stint in DC, he no longer has my unconditional support. He has from now until the end of yr 4 to get it right. If its more of the same, I say get him out of here. I just can't take much more of the losing, I don't care who it is!! :mad:

---------- Post added November-12th-2012 at 08:41 AM ----------

If I'm Snyder/Allen I'm looking at available candidates and putting them up against Shanahan to see if any of them have more potential to take this team to the next level. I've read where Chip Kelly of Oregon is ready to move on and runs incredible practices. His record on the field shows how good he is. Given what Schiano is doing in Tampa Bay (with no prohead coaching experience), I would have Kelly at the top of my list to replace Mike Shanahan. I love matching him up with RG lll for the next 10 years (hopefully).

With Chip Kelly, points are going up on the board. We would simply outscore opponents every week regardless of how good our defense is.

Here are some reasons why I'd let go of Shanahan:

I would also consider replacing our scouting department. I'm not sure how many people have discussed this. But i think we also need to shake some things up there as well.

I think the decision to terminate Shanahan early should be made solely upon RG3's development. The team is built entirely around RG3 - that's what happens when you give up essentially four starters for one. If RG3 is improperly developed or gets seriously injured, it would set the team back for years.

I really haven't been keen on the way he's been used. He's just exposed to too much contact. This isn't a playoff team; there is no reason for him to be running the option or, worse, faking the run. Save that for later when it can make a difference - right now I could care less if we're 3-13 or 7-9. I want RG3 to use his running ability, but use it wisely.

That being said, I really don't know if Shanahan is feeling pressure from above to win now. Winning is his job and if the boss says start winning or you're gone, then it's Shanny's job to play to win.

As I've said before, its pretty laughable that, around here, Norv, Schott, Spurrier, Gibbs, and now Shanny, are all bad coaches. Anyone looking from the outside would see that the problem lies elsewhere.

It really doesn't matter. Our organization is dysfunctional from the top.

You don't go around kissing your prospective head coach's ass to try to get him to come here, then jet set around the carribean with him and go hang out with him at scouting combines in Texas hoping you can be his buddy.

The situation we find ourselves in now is one where there is no accountability for the coaching staff. Hell, the coach picked his GM and told the owner what he would and wouldn't do before he got here.... and the owner still begged him to come here. Guess that same Owner now gets to fire them both? If it's Shanny or whatever other big name is begged to come here, it just doesn't matter. We have a clown running the show who doesn't know the first thing about organizational leadership.

You hire a GM, then you hold their asses (GM and coach that GM hires) accountable every step of the way. You don't hang out with them for Thursday Tea or vacation with them in the Bahamas, because its not appropriate. You sit down with them (coach and GM) midway through the season and at the end of the season and assess their performance to the goals that you set for them when you hired them.

You're SOOOO spot on. But,...unfortunately nothing at the top is going to change. Dan is Dan.

I ultimately think Shanny will fail. Yes, he's changed some things, team is younger, we got our QB but the result for the past 2 1/2 years is the same. The gimmicky offense has been figured out and the lack of talent at the WR just compounds it. The defense is terrible, nuff said.

I'm not in favor of firing Shanny during the season. That would just make a bad situation even worse.

If the Skins finish with 5-6 wins,...I honestly can't see how you can justify keeping him on. With 6 wins that would be 17-31 overall,....just dreadful. But I don't trust Dan to make a good decision or having the ability to hire that next young, hungry, up and coming head coach. Add to that the bull**** cap hit next year, no first round draft picks for the next two years,.....I think the Skins are ****ed for the near future.

So, outside of him completely losing the team -- I ultimately think we have to stick with Shanny (as much as I don't like that option) just to keep some assemblance of continuity.

Keep/extended Shanny

Fire Haslett

Overhaul the scouting department

With the draft picks you have draft as many studs on defense as possible (DB's and pass rushers)

Do what you can in FA, again, defense, defense, defense.

Agree wholeheartedly. Anybody that expected this team to become a winner overnight after all the damage created for years by Snyderatto is disillusioned. If we didn't have the injuries that we have had this season, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. I like what the team has done both draft wise and FA wise since Shanahan has taken over. Progress, in the short term, can't always be measured in wins/losses. Don't forget about the BS salary cap issues we had last year and will have this year. If the team would have had that 18 million last year, you can bet that there would be a few different starters on this team this year. Don't get me wrong, I am as frustrated as anyone on the teams performance this year, but I also take into consideration all of the obstacles Shanahan has to contend with. Probably the most injured team in the league, Salary cap bs, and has to remake and entire teams takes years to overcome.

That's a ridiculous position to take. We could finish worse than 9-7 and still make obvious strides forward on both sides of the ball.

Oh my god, you'd still be content with ONLY having growing pains after year 4?! Your patience is admirable but do we ever get to actually win football games and make the playoffs with this guy or do we just get to sit and watch as he cashes a paycheck on the backs of other mediocre coaches (who he has a worse record than)? Yeah, coach instability is not good for a franchise but **** coaches aren't good either.

This isn't the 80's, there are no more dynasties, there's just a glut of good, solid franchises fielding competent to very good teams year in, year out. Any one of 8-10 teams can legitimately win it every year, and the personnel rules are made so that EVERY year one or two of the dregs can get a taste if they're not completely ass backwards. For some reason the Skins can't get anywhere near that level and they're on this archaic five year rebuilding arc, to what? Nobody knows. They got an elite QB this year who was ready to go and win from Week 1 but this staff couldn't get the rest of the team up to snuff in three offseasons....they should be ashamed. Nobody owes them anything. Start paying us back for the patience.

What about if 2/3rds of that is already coming to fruition and the ONLY, and I mean ONLY progress offensively is being brought by a once in a generation talent? Take RG3 off this team and what is it? 0-9? 1-8?

No matter how you spin it and believe me plenty of you are, there is no "progress" when there is continuous losing. Losing breeds a losing culture

---------- Post added November-12th-2012 at 10:30 AM ----------

Oh my god, you'd still be content with ONLY having growing pains after year 4?! Your patience is admirable but do we ever get to actually win football games and make the playoffs with this guy or do we just get to sit and watch as he cashes a paycheck on the backs of other mediocre coaches (who he has a worse record than)? Yeah, coach instability is not good for a franchise but **** coaches aren't good either.

This isn't the 80's, there are no more dynasties, there's just a glut of good, solid franchises fielding competent to very good teams year in, year out. Any one of 8-10 teams can legitimately win it every year, and the personnel rules are made so that EVERY year one or two of the dregs can get a taste if they're not completely ass backwards. For some reason the Skins can't get anywhere near that level and they're on this archaic five year rebuilding arc, to what? Nobody knows. They got an elite QB this year who was ready to go and win from Week 1 but this staff couldn't get the rest of the team up to snuff in three offseasons....they should be ashamed. Nobody owes them anything. Start paying us back for the patience.

What about if 2/3rds of that is already coming to fruition and the ONLY, and I mean ONLY progress offensively is being brought by a once in a generation talent? Take RG3 off this team and what is it? 0-9? 1-8?

I don't know how anyone could argue this man's post.

I don't think you have to be in a position like the 49ers. Look at the Colts and Bucs, for instance. Nobody thought those teams were sitting on a goldmine of accumulated talent.

---------- Post added November-12th-2012 at 10:39 AM ----------

It really doesn't matter. Our organization is dysfunctional from the top.

You don't go around kissing your prospective head coach's ass to try to get him to come here, then jet set around the carribean with him and go hang out with him at scouting combines in Texas hoping you can be his buddy.

The situation we find ourselves in now is one where there is no accountability for the coaching staff. Hell, the coach picked his GM and told the owner what he would and wouldn't do before he got here.... and the owner still begged him to come here. Guess that same Owner now gets to fire them both? If it's Shanny or whatever other big name is begged to come here, it just doesn't matter. We have a clown running the show who doesn't know the first thing about organizational leadership.

You hire a GM, then you hold their asses (GM and coach that GM hires) accountable every step of the way. You don't hang out with them for Thursday Tea or vacation with them in the Bahamas, because its not appropriate. You sit down with them (coach and GM) midway through the season and at the end of the season and assess their performance to the goals that you set for them when you hired them.

And there you have it. Even when Snyder steps away from the day to day, he still screws it up by making Shanahan coach and GM.

Ive bashed Shanahan endlessly....but I will say this..

Keep Shanahan the coach

Fire Shanahan the "GM".

Fire Haslett

Keep Bruce Allen, but hire a Director of Player Personnell.

These changes keep the must have continuity that so many preach about yet shake things up enough.

I get the whole "Im the cook, I want to shop for my own groceries Parcell schpeel". But I think a DPP would be able to bridge a gap between whats good and what Shanahan feels is good. There is no way on earth any human has the ability to coach/run a team & perform the task of GM effectively. Each duty takes away from the other.

But hey what do i know, im just a dope typing on a computer :)

Ive bashed Shanhan endlessly....but I will say this..

Keep Shanahan the coach

Fire Shanahan the "GM".

Fire Haslett

Keep Bruce Allen, but hire a Director of Player Personnell.

These changes keep the must have continuity that so many preach about yet shake things up enough.

I get the whole "Im the cook, I want to shop for my own groceries Parcell schpeel". But I think a DPP would be able to bridge a gap between whats good and what Shanahan feels is good. There is no way on earth any human as the ability to coach/run a team & perform the task of GM effectively. Each duty takes away from the other.

But hey what do i know, im just a dope typing on a computer :)

Mike seems way to strong willed to step down as GM. I think that's a pipe dream

Ive bashed Shanhan endlessly....but I will say this..

Keep Shanahan the coach

Fire Shanahan the "GM".

Fire Haslett

Keep Bruce Allen, but hire a Director of Player Personnel.

This is pretty much I would do, good job. It's not the traditional FO structure - the GM does the contracts and manages the budget, the DPP brings in the talent, etc, but I think it could work. It's not like separating different aspects of the "senior manager/CEO" job doesn't work in the business world.

Extension, assuming Kyle stays, to keep some continuity for RGIII and the draft picks from the last two years. Yes, it's taken him 3 years to find a QB, but who was the last Redskins coach to find a QB with the potential of RGIII? So my vote is give him one more year at least; let's not go back down the failed route of a new offensive system every year hoping the grass is greener.

The defensive problems we have are IMO mainly down to coaching. Yes, the injuries and suspension really hurt us, but this defense was starting to leak over the last half of last season, when Orakpo and Carriker were healthy. All the signs are that we run a defense that other teams find completely predictable; in some games this year it's like the other team's OC is calling our defensive plays. The in-game adjustments that are made are slow to come and frequently produce the same poor results. I don't think the players believe in the defense anymore, and some of them are doing their own thing rather than following the calls.

I think the coaching casualties should be on the defensive side next year, or when / if a top 2 position finish in the NFCE becomes impossible. The Shanahans stay, but they have to reach a winning record next year.

I'm at a loss for words,....your post makes so much sense it should dis-allowed on this site. Bravo sir.

I believe it all hinges on the rest of this season. The notion that Mike's job is safe for at least one more year went right out the window after that Carolina debacle imo. If we finish the year like we did last year he's in trouble. If the defense can't find a way to improve at least marginally and worse yet if this offense continues to regress I think we see another reboot. And rightfully so. We'll probably know the truth sooner rather than later. As in at Fedex Field next Sunday vs. the woeful Eagles.

I believe it all hinges on the rest of this season. As in at Fedex Field next Sunday vs. the woeful Eagles.

If Nick Foles and the 3-6 Eagles come into FedEx and beat the Skins AND the Skins don't show a marked improvement in scheme/preparedness/game-management/execution with two weeks to prepare, then I would say it's over (it really already is). I can look past a loss, it happens....but another flat loss at home? To a division rival licking it's wounds, to a rookie and a lame duck coach who's ****** us six ways to Sunday over the past decade now begging for the deathblow? Nah.

Not that we need another Shanahan thread, but I'd like to see a breakdown of the pros and cons of his regime to date. The record makes it easy to lambast him, particularly seeing success in other perceived 'poor' teams. One thing that balances this out for me just a bit is the philosophy change from Vinny to Shanahan (and of course the acquisition of Griffin and offseason handicaps).

I think a real telling point is that if the defense played/ranked like last year (and, subsequently, our record reflected it) would we be having this discussion? It's a moot point, and it supports those claiming record is the only thing that matters, however, it also supports the theory that we need a new DC. Shanahan does not, obviously, deserve an extension... But I'm fine with him having another year (at minimum) as long as a defensive change is made.

correct me if I'm wrong here: Shanahan is the coach. He's on a 5 year contract here. It'll be 3 years officially on January 5th 2013. There's no extension here, and he'll be the head coach for next year. I don't even think this is debatable with Allen and Shanahan. I mean this team is building its depth still, and they're doing it with guys out, and they've been out. If it wasn't for Mike we wouldn't have RG3, not that we couldn't trade for him, the Browns offered more than us. He has circles in this league to get things done. It's been Mike and Kyle's ability to incorporate RG3 into the phenom he's really turning out to be. They equipped this offense for him so that he can run it. Last off-season it was "Kyle Shanahan is a control freak, these coaches don't adjust the offensive style to the QB, they just mold them into their schemes" Wrong wrong and wrong.

These coaches are adapting and changing like anyone else in the NFL, to be honest we have a couple geniuses running this organization right now and everyone is viewing this through doomed shades. Let's talk about this some more next year.

The Redskins are still in contention for the division, but they're loosing grip. The Cowboys and the Eagles are possibly both on the verge of restarting their franchises, and you guys want to go on and do it with them, starting fresh for what? To destroy what we've started. The majority of you don't know what it's like to win or build anymore. This is a bigger project to accomplish than most of you can comprehend.

I would have damned like to see Tanard Jackson, Brandon Meriweather, Pierre Garcon, Brian Orakpo, Adam Carriker, Jonathon Goff, Fred Davis, and Roy Helu on the field the whole year, but that's not how it turned out. There's a ton of talent on this team, and a good load of it is on IR. Yet still on the field we have guys that were brought in and are good players. A phenom QB, a star RB, and honestly this is supposed to be fun. You're missing the point of a project here folks, you're missing the lesson in the off-season of patience.

The front office has gone above and beyond their draft histories prior to being here and have selected some overall studs. If you could tell me in a rebuilding year we found RG3, Alfred Morris, and Kai Forbath QB, RB, K in one rebuilding season, plus a load of offensive tackles and guards waiting to come up next year, plus the birth of a franchise LT, and what we're really missing is a reloaded defensive secondary which can easily be built in the next 1-2 years. Sounds to me like a promising ****ing future. Not to mention you got a coach who knows the game inside and out, will draft hard again, will get another round at FA and small trades which he has excelled.

I mean Jesus ****ing Christ. You guys do realize there's going to be a specific market of guys who will ACTUALLY WANT TO COME HERE NOW. Because they're going to have a STUD QB on their side for the next 10 years.

And if you want to praise RG3's ass all day, yet you point the finger at the coach and GM for their current failing record, I can reverse the logic for you. You can't have it both ways. IF the organization is represented and faulted and applauded through the top to the bottom, than you need to applaud the staff and managers for bringing in all this talent that most of you are gambling will work with another coaching staff.

Archived