Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan.. Extension or move on, what would you do ?

Lavarleap56

I'd extend Mike Shanahan the head coac,h but I would move on from Mike Shanahan the GM. Not sure if those are mutually exclusive I think he only stays if he has total contro, though Dan has a compelling argument that after year 3 the teams does not seem to be improving and rather than firing him he needs to loose a bit of control in the player selection part of his job.

The info in the podcast, if true, doesnt really surprise me. It's been going on with this org. for over a decade now. 6 coaches and a decade + of losing football. Players ,coaches - it doesnt matter.. its just a freaking mess.

Not sure what it will take to right the ship. A real GM with real power maybe?

A coach that will just coach? they have the QB - but need just about everything else.

A huge mess - but just another year at Redskins Park.

also - watch game footage of Shanny going back to last year - he looks lost and clueless on the sidelines. He is an embarassment now.

After giving it careful consideration, I think that we should just move on after the 2013 season. If Mike is unwilling to give up his GM duties, then relieve him of his responsibilities and let Bruce Allen find our next Head Coach.

You follow the same blueprint model and hand it over to someone more or less you can control.

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 12:00 PM ----------

The info in the podcast, if true, doesnt really surprise me. It's been going on with this org. for over a decade now. 6 coaches and a decade + of losing football. Players ,coaches - it doesnt matter.. its just a freaking mess.

Not sure what it will take to right the ship. A real GM with real power maybe?

A coach that will just coach? they have the QB - but need just about everything else.

A huge mess - but just another year at Redskins Park.

also - watch game footage of Shanny going back to last year - he looks lost and clueless on the sidelines. He is an embarassment now.

I would not extend it that far so I don't know where you get this notion that he's an embarrassment on the sideline.

1. I believe we should extend Shanny by two years...give him that vote of confidence...that'd give him his full five years he asked for, with no one to blame. If he fails, no one anywahere can say boo to the Skins for firing him. The 2 year extension gives us a year to resign him (if the team is heading in the right direction) before he is a lame duck. I am not sure there are better coaches out there. Anyone that IS sure of such a thing is talking out of their arse. I do not want to see the team and the fans go through the "false hope" cycle again.

2. Fire Haslett. Re-do the defensive side of the ball from the ground up.

3. Fire Danny Smith. He's been serviceable, and I like his fire. But changes need to be made to clear the air and show the team who's the boss (Shanny).

I think what is so sad is that this fan base clings so hard to this team. Over years and years of crappy seasons. We deserve a team that can go to the playoffs.

God forbid he goes 5 years without a winning record though. If he goes 4, the hot seat's gonna be smoking in the last year of his deal. Which is a whole other thing, cuz having a guy coaching for his job usually doesn't end well. Unless you're Tom Coughlin, that is. And you're not extending a guy that can't get the team over .500.

Thw worst part is if Shanny doesn't produce a playoff berth next year what should be done? For that matter how much of a statement would Shanny have to make in the playoffs? If he goes one and out is that really going to satisfy Snyder?

What's really kind of ironic is our fanbase is screaming for patience from everyone -- except themselves. We, as a group, are less patient than Snyder or Cerrato.

:applause:

We've been saying for years and years that the team was old and lacked talent, needed to be built from the ground up, needed professionals running the show. Well, it's finally happened and they're ready to bail because it didn't produce immediate results, nevermind all the factors that contributed to that (bloated cap, old roster, cap penalties, RFA rules year 1, the lockout). And now we want to start ALLLL over from scratch and instill and new philosophy once again, from the top down, changing schemes, changing players, changing attitude, changing identity and everything that comes along with it. Not only that, they want to trust Snyder not to **** it up and bring in complete bumbling, laughingstock, disrespected by the entire league losers. Be patient, let it ride, at the end of 5 years re-evaluate. I'm not ready to start over again, I want this team to see something through for once in the last 20 years and have something take hold for once. Change this team's aura and identity.

• 1 month later...

Sometimes pipe dreams come true, eh?

By the way...

Redskins weighing possible contract extension for Mike Shanahan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-weighing-possible-contract-extension-for-mike-shanahan/2012/12/31/8c4f28cc-53a7-11e2-89de-76c1c54b1418_story.html

By Mark Maske, Published: December 31

The Washington Redskins are seriously considering negotiating a contract extension this offseason with Coach Mike Shanahan, multiple people with knowledge of the team’s planning said Monday.

The extension would be Shanahan’s reward for coaching the Redskins to their first NFC East title since the 1999 season. The Redskins secured the division crown with Sunday night’s 28-18 victory over the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field. They’re scheduled to host the Seattle Seahawks this Sunday at 4:30 p.m. in a first-round NFC playoff game.

The Washington Post’s Mike Jones breaks down the Redskins’ win over Dallas for the team’s first division title since the 1999 season.

One person with knowledge of the team’s deliberations on the matter said Monday that Redskins officials were trying to decide whether to work on a possible extension with Shanahan this offseason, with two seasons left on his existing contract, or wait to do it when he’s down to one season remaining on his contract.

That person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the issue publicly, said he did not believe that a final decision had been made on the matter but he thinks it is likely the Redskins will pursue the extension with Shanahan this offseason rather than waiting.

I don't see the value in extending him until the end of next year. If the talk of extension is as a reward for winning the NFCE and making the playoffs then surely there are bonuses built into his current contract for that?

Edit: My theory being - I want to keep Kyle. I think extending his Dad is more likely to lead to Kyle exploring other options.

I don't see the value in extending him until the end of next year. If the talk of extension is as a reward for winning the NFCE and making the playoffs then surely there are bonuses built into his current contract for that?

Edit: My theory being - I want to keep Kyle. I think extending his Dad is more likely to lead to Kyle exploring other options.

My concerns/thoughts as well.

As of now, here's what I'd do: Extend Mike as President.

Sign Kyle to extension and provide a clause that states he is in line to be the next head coach should Mike decide to go to the front office only.

At the time we extended Gregg Williams in 05 or so, the word was that there was a similar clause in his contract. It's doubtful that Snyder has any credibility with a clause like that anymore.

Snyder didn't just move in another direction from Williams - he strung Williams along for weeks on end and basically made a fool out of Williams.

At the time we extended Gregg Williams in 05 or so, the word was that there was a similar clause in his contract. It's doubtful that Snyder has any credibility with a clause like that anymore.

Except he's a new man. At least that's the image he's portraying. And with Gibbs, Snyder's idol, firmly in the Shanahan's corner... It works.

Snyder didn't just move in another direction from Williams - he strung Williams along for weeks on end and basically made a fool out of Williams.

Turns out that it might have been a good move, given his involvement in Bounty Gate, no? Maybe Snyder knew something we didn't ;)

The bigger question is does Mike Shanahan want to continue coaching after his contract is up? He will be 62 at the end of the 2014 season. I know a lot of coaches like to coach into their late 60's but there is no guarantee that he will want to. Also if you sign Mike you are going to lose Kyle to a head coaching job somewhere else. It is inevitable at this point.

Hello everyone, I was actually looking to start a thread but I'm a bit reluctant. I'm glad this topic was being discussed so I will just put my .02 here. I realize that there have been highs n lows but with all of the injuries and suspensions along with our salary cap being snipped I really see a great job by Coach Shanahan.

And then there's the QB & RB position being handled excellently with rookies. Thoughts?

Archived