Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan.. Extension or move on, what would you do ?

Lavarleap56

We were until the last 2 weeks. It appears they have figured that out also.

well then Haslett is all but done... actually he's done... We can get any other DC and not be worse.

---------- Post added November-13th-2012 at 07:38 PM ----------

Losing 36 million in cap had nothing to do with it?

Cool story though.....

I'll re-state the obvious you just stated... we were hindered by the unexpected cap penalty... Now I'll summarize my post: Our talent in the secondary sucks.

That was my point. If you want to say our penalty had something to do with that... then that's cool.

I wonder how many other teams were persuing any of those 4 as potential starters?

Fair point (I have no idea), but all they had to do was beat out Doughty and Gomes to be an improvement for us. I doubt many other teams had such a low benchmark. I think we can all agree that if we had anything better than awful safety play, our record probably would be at least marginally better. Even forgetting the other games, if we had just won the giants game, the criticism/anger would probably be much less.

Shanny has 2 more years, there is nothing we need to do with him as far as contract.

What we need to do is strip him and his GM duties. He will coach and only coach. Now, if he doesn't like that, then he can leave.

We also need to replace both coordinators and again if Shanny doesn't like that, he's free to leave.

Those are the only changes that need to be done if Shanny agrees.

Shanny has 2 more years, there is nothing we need to do with him as far as contract.

What we need to do is strip him and his GM duties. He will coach and only coach. Now, if he doesn't like that, then he can leave.

We also need to replace both coordinators and again if Shanny doesn't like that, he's free to leave.

Those are the only changes that need to be done if Shanny agrees.

Who would we give GM duties to? Our scouting and drafting history is laughably bad, I would say the last few years have been pretty good, although obviously could be better. Bruce Allen has an absolute terrible track record, he is our resident nerd who crunches numbers. Shanahan is historically a good drafter, and our draft classes have been pretty good, or in the very least decent.

I like Kyle, he does get too fancy and gimmicky a lot, I think he will learn to tone it down with experience. I think we need to let him call more conventional plays and let RG3 throw in a conventional offense, because God knows he has the talent to do so. We just feel very college-y right now, you don't have to eliminate all the pistol and gadget plays, but you need to tone them down a bit, and have RG3 go under center and throw to some receivers on routes particularly in the red zone.

Keep Bruce, see who he recommends, but also see if Kyle will stay as new HC if Mike is willing to retire. If Mike is not, but is also unwilling to let Haslett and Danny Smith go, then I'd start over. If Mike is willing to bring new guys in and wants to keep coaching, then I'd stick with him. When he goes to year 5 he no longer has the cap to worry about, he likely is in year 2 with the DC, and he'll have that draft and the one prior, which are both stocked outside of the 1st rounders. He keeps building around RG3, Morris, Garcon, and Trent on offense, which means he only needs a mid-tier/average defense, which can be achieved with a decent DC.

Who would we give GM duties to? Our scouting and drafting history is laughably bad, I would say the last few years have been pretty good, although obviously could be better. Bruce Allen has an absolute terrible track record, he is our resident nerd who crunches numbers. Shanahan is historically a good drafter, and our draft classes have been pretty good, or in the very least decent.

I like Kyle, he does get too fancy and gimmicky a lot, I think he will learn to tone it down with experience. I think we need to let him call more conventional plays and let RG3 throw in a conventional offense, because God knows he has the talent to do so. We just feel very college-y right now, you don't have to eliminate all the pistol and gadget plays, but you need to tone them down a bit, and have RG3 go under center and throw to some receivers on routes particularly in the red zone.

Our scouting history is bad? What? Morocco Brown is pretty highly-regarded around the league. Just because he's not listened to doesn't mean that he's at fault.

You're also suggesting that RGIII throw to receivers on routes. As opposed to offensive linemen just standing around? Come on, man.

I know one thing. If the team shows no fight or energy in the coming weeks then Shanny's seat will and should get hotter. Watching how flat the team was last week led me to where I am now in regards to Shanny's tenure here. A coach needs to be a motivator and I think he lacks that intangible.

Keep Bruce, see who he recommends, but also see if Kyle will stay as new HC if Mike is willing to retire.

We may need to go to lengths to promise him the head coaching job when Mike retires IF our front office feels he's an important piece to the puzzle. Apparently, the Eagles have some kind of interest in Kyle Shanahan for their head coaching position. Other teams may come knocking as well. Here's the link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2012/11/12/kyle-shanahan-on-list-of-eagles-head-coach-contenders/

Now, we all know journalists very often talk out of their ass and make stories up out of nothing to create stir, so there may be no buzz. You'd have to think that Kyle would know if there was any real interest. But for the sake of conversation, if there is interest, we need to be prepared with how we're going to approach the situation. Do we move on from Kyle and hire a guy who isn't quite ready to be a head coach, has a sound offensive mind, and is willing to work under Mike (all the while having quiet and COMPLETELY UNMENTIONED) thoughts to see if he can succeed Shanahan when he moves on? (And meanwhile, we also do that with our new DC). That's the direction I would take if Kyle moves on. New OC, new DC (similar offensive system [so hire a guy who fits that system!!!!], whatever defensive system the best candidate lays out to fit our personnel and direction) and have the unspoken intent to evaluate them to be Shanahan's replacement.

My goodness, do we really want to hit the reset button every three years. I don't think so. Keep him until RGIII finishes his acclimation to the league.

And about Haslett. How about we find some Corners and Safetys who can play before we scream for his head.

Listening to Shanny talk about how things are so much better and headed in the right direction, etc...reminds me of Baghdad Bob.

Outside of RG3, I see very little that's headed in the right direction...and this is year 3.

Alfred Morris, the passing game is good if Garcon and Davis are in, the OL is improved. Defense when Orakpo comes back we have a good LBer group. DL needs a fresh face at NT, secondary needs new safeties and we need a new DC. Certainly not the end of the world and certainly doable in the offseason. The entire offense is headed in the right direction, and that is something good teams can win with.

I third that..way too much churn the past few years. Mike told Danny...5 years or don't hire me. Take him at his word...

What's really kind of ironic is our fanbase is screaming for patience from everyone -- except themselves. We, as a group, are less patient than Snyder or Cerrato.

Alas, it is November and yet another offseason Superbowl to look forward to..............

Probably, but we're not out of it yet. In our division alone the Giants are crapping the bed after a good start, so who is to say we don't have a turnaround ourselves, but a positive one. Maybe Haslett starts getting riskier instead of vanilla with his job on the line, the players see the change and play better, and the defense is average, which is enough for us to win games. Our division is weak right now and 5 of our remaining games are divisional.

Listening to LL's podcast (a must listen, if you have the time), I am officially disturbed. How can we win games when there is so much dissention within the coaching staff?

I, like many, have been an ardent supporter of giving Shanny his five years. The number one reason being that we could use some stability. However, after listening to the podcast, I'm not so sure about it anymore. Our organization is so dysfunctional, it might be time to make a move. There certainly doesn't appear to be anything stable behind closed doors.

I want to thank LL, TK, etc. for taking the time to do these. It offers such a diffferent perspective for the casual fan.

We drafted RG3 to be the savior for our franchise. God bless that kid. He's gonna need it.

Probably, but we're not out of it yet. In our division alone the Giants are crapping the bed after a good start, so who is to say we don't have a turnaround ourselves, but a positive one. Maybe Haslett starts getting riskier instead of vanilla with his job on the line, the players see the change and play better, and the defense is average, which is enough for us to win games. Our division is weak right now and 5 of our remaining games are divisional.

the-pipe-dream-mini.jpg

Listening to LL's podcast (a must listen, if you have the time), I am officially disturbed. How can we win games when there is so much dissention within the coaching staff?

I, like many, have been an ardent supporter of giving Shanny his five years. The number one reason being that we could use some stability. However, after listening to the podcast, I'm not so sure about it anymore. Our organization is so dysfunctional, it might be time to make a move. There certainly doesn't appear to be anything stable behind closed doors.

I want to thank LL, TK, etc. for taking the time to do these. It offers such a diffferent perspective for the casual fan.

We drafted RG3 to be the savior for our franchise. God bless that kid. He's gonna need it.

yeah man...I felt like it 2009 all over again when I was listening to it

I third that..way too much churn the past few years. Mike told Danny...5 years or don't hire me. Take him at his word...

God forbid he goes 5 years without a winning record though. If he goes 4, the hot seat's gonna be smoking in the last year of his deal. Which is a whole other thing, cuz having a guy coaching for his job usually doesn't end well. Unless you're Tom Coughlin, that is. And you're not extending a guy that can't get the team over .500.

Where does one access these said podcasts?

Outside of Shanny's comments after the Carolina game, it sounds like the main issues are on the defensive side of the ball. I 100% agree Slowick is terrible and needs to go -- our LBs have regressed (even without Orakpo). Our biggest loss this past year was Lou Spanos. There is a noticeable difference in our LB play. It looks more and more like Haslett has totally lost control of the defense. A total overhaul is needed there.

I would also be curious who said Shanahan is a joke. I would be very interested in what executive said that...

And yes, I fully believe we are going to get smoked this week. We will have no answer for Jackson, Maclin and McCoy. Foles or not...

Archived