Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan.. Extension or move on, what would you do ?

Lavarleap56

I think its quite simple. You don't trade what was traded for RGIII, and then cut loose the coach that acquired him one year in. That is a Cerrato move. You certainly don't fire Kyle Shanahan. If you still feel Kyle Shanahan needs to be fired after reading Reeking Paradigm's game analysis, I don't know what to tell you.

Nobody says Kyle needs to be fired. His contract is up after this year.

---------- Post added November-11th-2012 at 07:06 PM ----------

I don't think it ever comes down to that. Either Kyle is let go or they both are.

I don't think Kyle has been bad enough to really warrant letting go of at this point, though. So I think Mike stays.

Kyle has to be Re-signed, FA coach after the year.

Unless we see significant improvement the final 7 games, I would fire him.

I'm sick of hearing how inherited a mess....outside of RG3, he's done nothing.

---------- Post added November-11th-2012 at 02:32 PM ----------

Besides all the poor decisions he's made, I don't thin he's a good coach....calling timeouts on offense down 2 scores late in the game, attempting a 62 yd FG, clock management, etc....

I'd wait till the end of the season before making a decision on Mike.. The DC and Teams coaches should be gone yesterday, imo.. The "scouts" staff, if we have one, should of been replaced years ago as well, cause the players we're bringing in appear to be hot garbage for the most part.. But if we end up 5-11 or worse, I don't see how you can extend the Shanahan's.. Always changing is one thing, but 3 full years and no improvement pretty much says the writings on the wall..

Nobody says Kyle needs to be fired. His contract is up after this year.

Assuming we offer him a contract (which I think will happen) I have a good feeling he'll sign it. He just got a new toy with RG3, it would take an awful lot of money to pry him from it.

Resign Kyle for two years, leave Mike's contract as is, fire Haslett.

I'm as big of a Shanahan proponent as there is, but I won't automatically extend him without seeing tangible on-field success. I also wouldn't let him go without seeing what he can do with this offense for another year.

Before the season, someone asked whether Shanahan should be let go if this team was 6-10 or worse. My response back then was that it would depend; if this team showed real progress offensively, then there's no way I would let Shanahan go...yet. If the team lost because this offense was yet again the sticking point to victories, then Shanahan could be let go. That hasn't changed for me.

Read the link below.. Mike explains how they plan to take 3 years to really get RG3 going.. Only has 2 years on his contract.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000078914/article/robert-griffin-iii-mike-shanahan-cook-up-everevolving-offense

This is year one of RG3. He has two years left. Unless something has changed in math, 1+2=3

Am I missing something?

I say you give Mike and son and extension. I am patient enough to reap the rewards of building a team the right way compared to the Dan & Vinnie Show for the last ten years. If you look at what the Houston Texans have done under Gary Kubiak as he has been their head coach around 7-8 years and the last 5 seasons have been less that stellar and the owner McNair kept Kubiak around despite the record. They are now a SB contender. I also think changing head coaches is a huge mistake although I think Shanny needs to replace Hasslett and Slowik. Most of the Shannahan hate is media driven and I mean local media. Their always trying to divide the team by asking ridiculous questions, twisting words around, and having their sources leak information that is not 100% accurate. The biggest enemy to the team is the washington media. I blame them as well for the teams failure. Other than that I think the future looks bright- our future head coach K Shannahan, a young dynamic franchise QB, young durable running back, and OL that is improving, and a probowl caliber TE in Davis. I also think Kyle needs to start putting more of the Houston style of offense into games and scale back off this college style offense a little.

Drops and poor discipline are a direct result of poor coaching. .

I keep hearing this - but is this accurate - To me it is simple lack of execution on the part of the players - You have to remember this is a young team for the most part - They will make mistakes - but everyone was calling for us to get younger (no one over 25 etc etc) .

Your coaching can only take the blame to a point . The coach cannot be there and direct a player how to catch a ball - or how to line up properly or tell a WR for example when to jump offside ...

Lack of accountability and lack of execution is a direct result of being a young team - we are missing a whole bunch of players (starters) so now we have players who were being prepared all season for bit parts to fill in being called upon to be full time starters - .... we are missing leaders... and that is important - because on the field because at the end of the day the players have to be accountable to one another ....

That is what you get from continuity players who grow and know each other - In the same system with the same ideals .

You look around the league today and 3-6 is not out of it Hell It is not even out of it for the division crown watching how the Giants have gone into their mid season swoon .

We all knew this was going to be tough and then when it turns out it is tough then the Redskins fans go into a flap the familiar change everything chant begins . It is tiring ... and this another FIRE SHANAHAN!!!! thread is on top of the 20 or so other FIRE SHANAHAN threads

NOW RGIII is getting criticism now for not being able to operate out of the pocket at all - and the talk around him coming from the media and some Redskins fans on here - is getting very close to out and out calling him a bust .

Is our fan base this fickle - things are not going well 2 and a half years into a five year plan - and we want out - it is NEVER going to be an instant turn around and the more we whine and want things to change it makes me think we are as irrational as my 2 year old mid tantrum .. No one has offered a cast iron cannot fail alternative to what we are doing now - because there isn't one . The grass will always look greener on the other side of the fence until we are regularly putting up double digit wins . Now is not the time to ***** and whine- now is the time to suck it up as a fan base and wait it out .

The past is never going to change - the only thing we have is the future and I know there are things that have to change - and that could mean new coaches and new players - but not everything . We have been there before . Did it work then ... ?

I hear what you are sayin bedlam, but I think fickle is the wrong word.

Fans are smart enough to look around the league and see teams that are playing at a higher level than the Skins, with FIRST year coaches, and worse rosters.

Shanahan should not look this horrible in year three. Even Zorn and Spurrier had better records :doh:

You don't give an extension based on anything besides W-L. This business is about wins and losses nothing else.

Completely disagree. This is how teams like the Cleveland Browns (one of the worst franchises in the NFL over the last few decades) end up firing a guy like Bill Belichick (one of the greatest coaches in NFL history). If all it takes is to look at the W-L records, you wouldn't even need a GM; any John Doe from a fan forum can review an overall record without any intelligent analysis and pass proper judgment. Of course, we know that isn't the case.

There is a lot more that goes into evaluating the job that a coach like Mike Shanahan has done than ONLY looking at the W-L record.

Completely disagree. This is how teams like the Cleveland Browns (one of the worst franchises in the NFL over the last few decades) end up firing a guy like Bill Belichick (one of the greatest coaches in NFL history). If all it takes is to look at the W-L records, you wouldn't even need a GM; any John Doe from a fan forum can review an overall record without any intelligent analysis and pass proper judgment. Of course, we know that isn't the case.

There is a lot more that goes into evaluating the job that a coach like Mike Shanahan has done than ONLY looking at the W-L record.

You look at Year 4. If he isn't 9-7 or 10-6 next year, he should be fired next year

Not that I disagree, but maybe my memory is off... But didn't Cleveland move after 95? They never really fired Belichick...

Yes, I know they like to say he was "fired" in February, right before the team moved... But I think that was more of a "new identity" firing than an actual firing.

---------- Post added November-11th-2012 at 06:02 PM ----------

When I say "let go" I don't necessarily mean "fired". I mean he goes to another team.

"Fickle" is the perfect word to use, bedlam, don't listen to illone. :nana:

I think a lot of fan bases are fickle now, though. In fact, society in general is "fickle". We handle very little well anymore.

---------- Post added November-11th-2012 at 04:16 PM ----------

You look at Year 4. If he isn't 9-7 or 10-6 next year, he should be fired next year

I can agree with this, however, it depends on how much we can do in Free Agency this year with the cap penalty. If it's obvious we can't do anything because of it, I'm not going to be too angry if we have another poor season.

I've said from the beginning I want this to be a 5 year project, period. Mike has done a lot to improve the depth of this team and get us younger. He also got us our franchise QB, something we've lacked for decades. We should be grateful. I'm not going to back down from my belief that this needs to be finished because a lot hasn't went our way. I also fully believe that we'd be a much better team this year had we not got hit with the penalty. I have yet to see an argument refuting that.

It really doesn't matter. Our organization is dysfunctional from the top.

You don't go around kissing your prospective head coach's ass to try to get him to come here, then jet set around the carribean with him and go hang out with him at scouting combines in Texas hoping you can be his buddy.

The situation we find ourselves in now is one where there is no accountability for the coaching staff. Hell, the coach picked his GM and told the owner what he would and wouldn't do before he got here.... and the owner still begged him to come here. Guess that same Owner now gets to fire them both? If it's Shanny or whatever other big name is begged to come here, it just doesn't matter. We have a clown running the show who doesn't know the first thing about organizational leadership.

You hire a GM, then you hold their asses (GM and coach that GM hires) accountable every step of the way. You don't hang out with them for Thursday Tea or vacation with them in the Bahamas, because its not appropriate. You sit down with them (coach and GM) midway through the season and at the end of the season and assess their performance to the goals that you set for them when you hired them.

Wow, I love this post

Not that I disagree, but maybe my memory is off... But didn't Cleveland move after 95? They never really fired Belichick...

Yes, I know they like to say he was "fired" in February, right before the team moved... But I think that was more of a "new identity" firing than an actual firing.[/Quote]

You could be right, I was just trying to find an example. Though I think if they knew just how good he was, I don't know of they would have let him go. Tom Coughlin being fired after struggling for a few years with Jacksonville is another example (who's owner admitted he regretted doing as recent as 2011).

You don't give an extension based on anything besides W-L. This business is about wins and losses nothing else.

What about the perceived future possibility of winning under a current regime, despite current hiccups? Do you pass on that for a win-now philosophy, in essence uprooting everything that was built and starting over? And if that's not successful in two years, do you continue to repeat that action?

What about the perceived future possibility of winning under a current regime, despite current hiccups? Do you pass on that for a win-now philosophy, in essence uprooting everything that was built and starting over? And if that's not successful in two years, do you continue to repeat that action?

Well i was talking to the point above that i would wait til year 4 to make a judgement. we would be idiots giving him a extension this offseason. You see the results from year 4 and then decide if he becomes a lame duck

Well i was talking to the point above that i would wait til year 4 to make a judgement. we would be idiots giving him a extension this offseason. You see the results from year 4 and then decide if he becomes a lame duck

Fair enough. Whether I agree or not is irrelevent. Well formulated point. Thanks for clarifying :)

Archived