Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES's Offical 11/6/2012 Election Results Thread (DISCUSS THE RESULTS HERE)

88Comrade2000

Didn't Romney also want to ban assault weapons? And honestly, what does a normal person need an assault weapon for anyway?
And this is where semantics comes into play. What is an assault weapon? We keep hearing AK-47 and M-16/AR-15. That is nice and all, but those weapons already require a Federal permit that takes money and extensive time to get. Fully automatic weapon permits are not just handed out. AR-15 is an M-16 that is semi-automatic. One squeeze, one round. No different than a 30-06, or 22 rifle (I use these rifles for a reason - they fire the same sized round as an AK-47 and M-16). But the impression one gets is that these weapons somehow inflict more damage. They don't. The last time an assault weapon ban was discussed, a semi-automatic pistol that accepted an extended clip (more than 10 rounds) was to be considered an assault weapon.

I just don't know how the GOP does it, if they go to the center they will lose what is now their base, if they go to their base they lose the center. I would say that this election is showing that America is moving toward being Blue Dog Democrats rather that Moderate Republican.

Who would they lose the Religious Right to, out of curiosity? Seems to me like a candidate could be anti-abortion/gay marriage but claim it outside of the president's purview (or something along those lines) thereby opening themselves to support from swing voters.

I'll take the narrow margin in the popular vote that Romney wasn't conservative enough. To me, he would've won this if he just gave a concrete plan instead of sprinkling truths with lies. He had so much time to just come up with a position on tax reform, but when you're not actually being a leader of the party then you have "constituencies" you need to run it by first.

On tax reform: he could never say that he's repealing child tax credits and mortgage interest deductions and student loan deductions and health insurance premiums and child care deductions etc—would've been suicide. But if was a man of his word, then these are the exact (or some of them) that he would've tried to cut. So the guy didn't have a plan other than "I'm not Obama." Pathetic.

Thoughts on last night from former VA 5th Representative Tom Perriello:

Friends-- Some extended reflections on the Election and the New Middle Class Populism.

This election was either going to be the final chapter of the old election playbook, or the first to reflect an American landscape transformed not just by new demographics but by the “new normal” when it comes to the economy.

In my three months of travelling 15,000 miles across ten battleground states and every corner of my home state of Virginia, I was constantly reminded that Americans think everyone deserves a fair shot. Whether talking about the economy, the voting process, or treatment of women and minorities, Americans react strongly against those who try to rig the system. The old ideological debates about the size of government lacked the urgency or depth of people’s deep desire to talk about how to rebuild the American dream of social mobility and economic security, how to be a more perfect union that celebrates our differences, and how to make sure that our elections reflect the will of all people rather than the agenda of the powerful.

Last night we witnessed the emergence of a powerful new middle class populism, propelled by an unlikely coalition of manufacturers in the Midwest, women, Latinos, and young people aspiring to economic security. The views that I heard on my travels converge into a consensus starkly different than the one inside the beltway.

The America I saw believes outsourcing is a serious problem, and thinks economic security for the middle class and re-inventing American competitiveness are more urgent causes than fiscal austerity. These voters rejected the conservative argument that government is irrelevant to job creation, despite heavy spending on the You Built That meme.

This new coalition respects success but believes the richest Americans should play by the same rules and pay at least the same tax rate as the middle class. This coalition believes Medicare, Social Security and that the safety net are important components of the American community and saw the 47% critique, long a staple of conservative talking points, as offensive.

This new American consensus across these states is not the halfway point between the two parties but a different agenda anchored in a new normal of economic insecurity and seemingly rigged economic and political systems. The Democrats seem to recognize this shift and would be wise not to abandon it now that the election has ended.

My second lesson from last night was that our political leaders shouldn’t be afraid to deliver results. In the Midwest and Rocky Mountains, the auto-recovery defined this election. Women and Latinos recognized advances in women’s health and pay equity, over 1 million DREAMers brought out of the shadows, and a Supreme Court that more closely reflects America. LGBT advocates showed up for a President whose leadership helped to turn a 0 for 32 record on marriage equality initiatives into a 4 for 4 night. And perhaps most notably, young people written off as fair-weather voters turned out massively after being engaged on student loan reform and access to health care. Give Americans a concrete reason to care, to believe things could get better, and they will rally.

I note this not to litigate past success but to suggest the hopeful observation that voters are smarter than the operatives and pundits (other than Nate Silver) think. Leaders in both parties would be wise to see that the cynical politics of obstruction and othering has a glass ceiling in American politics that is descending quickly. As we head into conversations about the fiscal cliff, immigration, education reform and hopefully climate change, I believe there are political rewards for doing the right thing, even in an era of extreme gerrymandering and 9-figure donations.

Four years ago, we elected a great man as President. Last night, we voted for a great idea – demanding a fair shot for every American. It was the political culmination of a vision that began on the streets of Ohio and Wisconsin, found its voice in a speech in Osawatomie and remains deeply rooted in the American promise of an economy that works for all of us, and a democracy that reflects all Americans, not just those who can buy the largest megaphone. That is our strength, and it was reaffirmed last night by those who stood in long lines to demand that America move forward together.

Blessings,

Tom

Who would they lose the Religious Right to, out of curiosity? Seems to me like a candidate could be anti-abortion/gay marriage but claim it outside of the president's purview (or something along those lines) thereby opening themselves to support from swing voters.

That's not going to keep the Chritian Right's "Value Voters", they want the President to do something about these issues, those that I know would say that there is no difference what you describe and the Left's agenda. Which IMO why the Christian Right didn't really warm to Romney because he gave a head nod to those things, but they really suspected that it was all lip service.

That's not going to keep the Chritian Right's "Value Voters", they want the President to do something about these issues, those that I know would say that there is no difference what you describe and the Left's agenda. Which IMO why the Christian Right didn't really warm to Romney because he gave a head nod to those things, but they really suspected that it was all lip service.

Fair enough, but does the CR then turn to someone else? Or do they just not participate? It just seems to me that they should find a way to skirt the gay/abortion issues and stick to the rest. It would agitate their base, yes, but it would pull a lot more moderates too.

The GOP has been following the money (which is obviously the wrong thinking looking at demographics) and trying to make the 'other guy' look bad by essentially crippling the government.

The America I saw believes outsourcing is a serious problem, and thinks economic security for the middle class and re-inventing American competitiveness are more urgent causes than fiscal austerity. These voters rejected the conservative argument that government is irrelevant to job creation, despite heavy spending on the You Built That meme.

This new coalition respects success but believes the richest Americans should play by the same rules and pay at least the same tax rate as the middle class. This coalition believes Medicare, Social Security and that the safety net are important components of the American community and saw the 47% critique, long a staple of conservative talking points, as offensive.

Four years ago, we elected a great man as President. Last night, we voted for a great idea – demanding a fair shot for every American.

Blessings,

Tom

Well written letter.

Well written letter.

Look for Perriello to run for statewide office in VA in the next two years. I think he'll likely run for AG (a stepping stone to Governor), but he could also try to swing Senator if Mark Warner makes a run at President in 2016.

I’ve never been as enthusiastic about a politician before. His dad was my doctor in high school (before he passed), and Tom is a genuinely good person, which seems to be a rare quality these days. Here’s a wiki bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Perriello

The Religious Right is slowly turning into a millstone around the GOP's neck. During the 80s and 90s, it gave the GOP victories. You could argue that it is now costing the GOP victories outside of the states in the Deep South.

According to some of the polls I saw, Evangelicals turned out in record numbers in 2012 and voted overwhelmingly for Mitt Romney. But their vote is too concentrated in "Red" states, and their politics have no appeal for people under 30.

The GOP needs to figure out a way to maintain the support of the Religious Right while simultaneously broadening their base. I don't know how they do it.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/11/rove-obama-succeeded-by-suppressing-the-vote-149046.html

Rove: Obama won 'by suppressing the vote'

GOP strategist Karl Rove went on Fox News today to argue that President Barack Obama "succeeded by suppressing the vote" -- an argument that directly contradicts the conventional wisdom that Romney failed to appeal to non-white and female voters.

Rove argued that Obama won with a smaller popular vote and a smaller margin of victory than in the 2008 election against Sen. John McCain. Instead of expanding voters, Rove argued, Obama "suppressed the vote" by demonizing former Gov. Mitt Romney and encouraging people not to vote.

"President Obama has become the first president in history to win a second term with a smaller percentage of the vote than he did in the first term," Rove said.

"But he won Karl, he won!" Fox News host Megyn Kelly interjected. Kelly also asked Rove how Republicans intended to appeal to minority groups, especially Hispanics, after doing so much to alienate them in 2012. Rove pointed to Hispanic-voter turnout in Texas to argue that there was no fundamental disconnect between his party and Latino voters.

:ols::ols::ols: Wow.

Archived