Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES's Offical 11/6/2012 Election Results Thread (DISCUSS THE RESULTS HERE)

88Comrade2000

I suspect if you had dealt with this industry from both a law enforcement and public health perspective (which I currently am) and witness, firsthand, how it impacts the local youth population, you might have a bit different of an opinion. Or maybe not. :)

So wait...you're saying that marijuana is one of the biggest problems facing our law enforcement, troubling our teens, and causing health problems??? I think not...

On behalf of former teenagers everywhere who smoked weed all through high school, graduated from college and landed a decent job to become productive members of society, I'd like to call bull****.

I believe people think the Hispanic vote is more in play than it really is. It went 71-27 Democrat.

The minority vote in general is about as blue as it gets. It was roughly 26% of the electorate this time and went overwhelmingly D. Even Hispanic males, who can be as socially conservative as anyone, were 65-33 for D.

The Republicans have completely lost the minority vote.

Looking ahead though, I see restructuring for the GOP as inevitable, and I see the loss of certain demographics from the Democrats as inevitable.

One of the huge problems for the GOP is that they're losing my demographic. College educated middle class white males under the age of 45. Particularly the ones who are not religious. The party of the religious right and big business is not for us, and is highly unappealing to college educated middle class whites under 30, both male and female. But the party of minority issues and women's issues is also not for my demographic.

Obama is one of the most gifted politicians of his generation. He has an ability to pull a diverse swaths of the electorate into his tent. Plus, he's gotten my demo to vote for him in surprisingly large numbers, when in the 80's, it would have been overwhelmingly and naturally Republican and turnout would be very high in this demo. What happens when a democrat who isn't as good at pulling people together is running? I don't have numbers. but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the turnout for the male "WASP" vote was much lower than it used to be this election.

For the GOP to become competitive in national races they need to resolidify and reenergize their white male vote with the younger generations before they can think about taking back a minority vote that is overwhelmingly blue. Honestly, that should be obvious. The fact that this race was even close, when you had an incumbent running against a strange super rich Mormon guy is clear indication that the white male vote is very hesitant to go blue.

Snarky. Cute :)

I suspect if you had dealt with this industry from both a law enforcement and public health perspective (which I currently am) and witness, firsthand, how it impacts the local youth population, you might have a bit different of an opinion. Or maybe not. :)

I was just messin' with ya over the ironic typo, nothing serious. Thank you for taking it in stride.:)

Honestly, I can see both sides of the marijuana argument. I don't have any horse in that race but I'm willing to see states start to -- dare I say it -- experiment with it a bit here and there to see what happens.

Looking ahead though, I see restructuring for the GOP as inevitable, and I see the loss of certain demographics from the Democrats as inevitable.

I just don't know how the GOP does it, if they go to the center they will lose what is now their base, if they go to their base they lose the center. I would say that this election is showing that America is moving toward being Blue Dog Democrats rather that Moderate Republican.

I must say that I was pretty annoyed with the comments I kept seeing on Facebook, from both the left and right. I had numerous Facebook friends post something like, "If you're not voting for ________, then we might as well not be friends." So, guess what? I defriended about 4 people, not because we support different people, but because they sound like such judgmental, raging ****s.

I believe people think the Hispanic vote is more in play than it really is. It went 71-27 Democrat.

The minority vote in general is about as blue as it gets. It was roughly 26% of the electorate this time and went overwhelmingly D. Even Hispanic males, who can be as socially conservative as anyone, were 65-33 for D.

26% and rising. By 2016 it could be over 30%. Also even socially conservative minorities are loosening up. Question 6 won in MD almost SOLELY because Obama came out for gay marriage, which made black support for gay marriage swing about 20 points in a week. And the minority vote is growing because of young minorities coming of age.

Young and minority in a very liberal age cohort - almost unwinnable for any conceivable Repub.

Particularly the ones who are not religious. The party of the religious right and big business is not for us, and is highly unappealing to college educated middle class whites under 30, both male and female. But the party of minority issues and women's issues is also not for my demographic.

Then what? Even a more socially libertarian GOP is going to trend towards big business, and it'll still be at least another cycle before they can dump the Religious Right for good.

For the GOP to become competitive in national races they need to resolidify and reenergize their white male vote with the younger generations before they can think about taking back a minority vote that is overwhelmingly blue. Honestly, that should be obvious. The fact that this race was even close, when you had an incumbent running against a strange super rich Mormon guy is clear indication that the white male vote is very hesitant to go blue.

White males are going to gradually shift blue as the Boomers die out and the Millenials who are the bluest electorate, like, ever, and they're going to be followed by Generation Z, who are probably going to be even bluer (the first of those voters will be voting in 2016, i.e the people who were born in 1998 and will probably come of age in a robust Obama-led recovery). And there are some wild-cards in the mix - these past two years the unions have really gotten some of their old mojo back at least in their Midwest strongholds. Ohio went Dem because Obama essentially saved the American automotive industry. Will that carry over long-term?

2008 I think was a realignment election after all - it's just that the Republicans pulled out every stop they could to delay the inevitable.

I just don't know how the GOP does it, if they go to the center they will lose what is now their base, if they go to their base they lose the center. I would say that this election is showing that America is moving toward being Blue Dog Democrats rather that Moderate Republican.
I keep seeing this repeated. I disagree. the popular vote right now is Obama +2.5M. That sounds like a whole lot, but in reality it is just over 1%. That is not a shift. That is Obama pulling votes that would have gone to the Reps if Mitt wasn't the nominee. As bad as this board paints Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, that won 49% of the popular vote.

If we are going to be honest about this election, what won Obama reelection was him carrying 93% of the African American vote, with historic African American turnout. If a Rep candidate can't cary more than 7% of the African American vote and 30% of the Hispanic vote, they can't win a general election. No, I am not saying that the African American vote is racist. I am saying that Reps need to actually pay attention to African American priorities to get back to the 75-25 party identification split we have seen as recently as 2004.

Gun ammo prices are going to suck hard for the next 8-12 months.

:(

I saw you bumped the Gun thread...but you didn't say anything. Why not state that there? 2 years of not bumps. Just odd or silly to not state the reason in either thread about the details for all to see.

Ammo was going up no matter what.

I keep seeing this repeated. I disagree. the popular vote right now is Obama +2.5M. That sounds like a whole lot, but in reality it is just over 1%. That is not a shift. That is Obama pulling votes that would have gone to the Reps if Mitt wasn't the nominee. As bad as this board paints Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, that won 49% of the popular vote.

Can you explain the bolded part? Who is it you think would have held all the areas Romney did and pulled in another 1 or 2% from Obama? Santorum, Gingrich, Cain, Perry, Bachmann, Paul - which of them would have been as appealing to the moderate independent voters? Huntsman, Pawlenty, Trump - seriously, do you see any of them getting over the top?

You know as well as I do that the two major parties could put up Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse and still get 40% of the vote each. The battle is fought for the remainder and Romney looks to me to have the best shot. I think in several ways he fumbled the campaign, could have handled things better. But I don't see any of the others getting as close as he was in the first place.

I saw you bumped the Gun thread...but you didn't say anything. Why not state that there? 2 years of not bumps. Just odd or silly to not state the reason in either thread about the details for all to see.

Ammo was going up no matter what.

Because that's a no-politics thread.

I am saying that Reps need to actually pay attention to African American priorities to get back to the 75-25 party identification split we have seen as recently as 2004.

Do you mean total minority when you say 75-25 split?

Bush only got 11% of the African American vote in 2004.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

Is there any chance enough Republican in the House can come together to get some sort of comprehensive immigration reform passed that isn't everybody that is here now illegally needs to go home and get in the back of the line to come into the country legally?

I listened to talk radio this morning to see what sort of tone they (and their callers) would strike, and they didn't sound like they were ready to move on any real issues. It was a lot of dig in and fight harder.

And that the problem was the Romeny isn't/wasn't a REAL conservative.

Now, I'm not surprised by that, but I don't see how you address minority issues and not lose those people.

Can you explain the bolded part? Who is it you think would have held all the areas Romney did and pulled in another 1 or 2% from Obama? Santorum, Gingrich, Cain, Perry, Bachmann, Paul - which of them would have been as appealing to the moderate independent voters? Huntsman, Pawlenty, Trump - seriously, do you see any of them getting over the top?

You know as well as I do that the two major parties could put up Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse and still get 40% of the vote each. The battle is fought for the remainder and Romney looks to me to have the best shot. I think in several ways he fumbled the campaign, could have handled things better. But I don't see any of the others getting as close as he was in the first place.

I didn't mean one of the primary candidates, because I think last night demonstrated Mitt did about as well as could have been expected (minus FL & VA). I was talking about the Rep party as a whole. They lost my vote over the last 8 years. I would vote for a true fiscal conservative that wasn't a neanderthal man on social issues. The Rep party had a chance after the 2004 election to drop the crusties and move to a younger, more energetic, more inclusive model. Instead the country get the barrel of monkeys we saw at the primary. Mitt Romney is 65 years old. Obama is 51. It is MUCH easier to identify with a candidate that is closer to your age than your grandparents age.

So don't take my statement to mean the Reps nominated the wrong guy (from the options presented). My statement is more an indictment of the direction of the party from 2004 - today.

---------- Post added November-7th-2012 at 09:51 AM ----------

Do you mean total minority when you say 75-25 split?

Bush only got 11% of the African American vote in 2004.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

Is there any chance enough Republican in the House can come together to get some sort of comprehensive immigration reform passed that isn't everybody that is here now illegally needs to go home and get in the back of the line to come into the country legally?

I listened to talk radio this morning to see what sort of tone they (and their callers) would strike, and they didn't sound like they were ready to move on any real issues. It was a lot of dig in and fight harder.

And that the problem was the Romeny isn't/wasn't a REAL conservative.

Now, I'm not surprised by that, but I don't see how you address minority issues and not lose those people.

I didn't say vote, I said party identification. I used those words for a reason. If Mitt Romney wins even 11% of the Aftican American vote, the conversation this morning is different. He likely wins VA with those numbers.

As bad as this sounds, I think Obama has to make the first move toward the Reps, like Clinton did in his second term. We either go that way, or nuclear winter IMHO.

Archived