Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe that drafting Cousins has placed excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Let's see.... Griffin is fine with thousands of fans with high expectations, extreme media attention, and the story of 20 years of failed QBs in Washington... but you throw in a 4th round QB and now you wonder if it puts too much strain/pressure on him? Get out of here...

Going from memory, but wasn't there another QB taken with Aikman? Did it crush his confidence when he sucked the first year?

Having a second QB drafted just increases our odds of finding a good one. Why do fans hate the thought of Cousins outplaying RG3? The draft picks have been spent. To my mind we spent the picks to get a franchise QB. I am thrilled if either of them turnout to be a franchise Qb. If both do, we could be set for a decade by trading one.

My question is now that both are on the team and the picks have been spent, will fans and coaches be able to look at both and assign their roles on the team based on what they do currently rather than how much was given up to get them? What was spent is gone. Now we need to look at what we have and make all future decisions based on what we see now.

Going from memory, but wasn't there another QB taken with Aikman? Did it crush his confidence when he sucked the first year?

Yeah it was Steve Walsh. They got him in the supplemental draft. He competed against Aikman then they traded him to the Saints.

Ok, so let me pose a question.
Let me ask you some questions first:

o Do you think that NFL players feel pressure when a player is drafted at their position? Yes/No (if yes then answer the following question)

o If player X doesn't need pressure then how would you define the pressure placed on player X when player Y is drafted at player X's position: neccesary or unneccesary?

If we drafted a mid-round QB next season, assuming that RG3 had some growing pains this season...would that be more or less unnecessary pressure than drafting Cousins this year?
By the definition drafting Cousins was unneccesary therefore whatever pressure he represents is also unneccesary.

But to answer the question from your scenario above it would be less unneccesary pressure.

Because depending on the level of growing pains drafting another QB could be viewed as neccecesary considering that the team might actually have to replace the QB if their 'growing pains' become on obstacle to the teams performance.

By the definition drafting Cousins was unneccesary therefore whatever pressure he represents is also unneccesary.

Drafting him wasn't unnecessary. You'd rather draft a raw rookie to backup RG3 next year, most likely in the absence of Rex? If RG3 goes down, we throw the rook to the wolves? Or would you rather have a guy with a year in the system as our #2 in 2013? Answer that question on its face.

Let me ask you some questions first:

o Do you think that NFL players feel pressure when a player is drafted at their position? Yes/No (if you answer then answer the following question)

o If player X doesn't need pressure then how would you define the pressure placed on player X when player Y is drafted at player X's position: neccesary or unneccesary?

The stars of this league don't feel pressure.

You either have it or you don't.

Manning, Brady, Aaron Rodgers, they laugh at competition. You think London Fletcher and Ray Lewis fear it? Players are players. If Griffin truly is a bad ass, he isn't concerned.

like stephen a smith said, "If RG3 is worried about Cousins, the Redskins have a bigger issue to deal with"

And I gotta agree 100% with that. RGIII is not going to be trouble by a back-up QB, you can hear it in his voice. He has already grasped what the intangibles are for the job.

Lets just say in two years, we are in the middle of a playoff run at ehh about 7-1 then Griffin gets hurt and has to miss about 4 games. Everyone could certainly come to appreciate this pick much more. Its a great insurance policy

I put out this scenario before, would you rather see Rex Grossman trot out there or Cousins, the answer is obvious.

No way.

If RG3 has THAT fragile an ego, he won't last long anyway. However, he doesn't, so it doesn't matter.

As Joe Gibbs once said (and I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact quote :) ), if your starting QB can't handle the simple pressure of a backup QB looking over his shoulder (and ALL backup QBs do that), then he can't handle the ENORMOUS pressure of being in the 4th quarter of a playoff game, having to drive 60 yards for the winning score, in the pouring rain, in a hostile stadium.

If he can't handle the everyday pressures, then he can't handle the really difficult pressures that come with being a starting QB in the NFL.

RG3 can more than handle it. He will be just fine. :logo:

The media is blaming Mike Shanahan for a QB controversy that is 100% media-driven. No. This is an idiotic premise. Any one with half a ****ing brain is going to scoff at this proposition. Ashley Fox, Skip Bayless I am looking in your direction. This is so damned irritating. Maybe, yes, there is someone that could have helped the Skins this year or next. However, without a 1st round pick for two more years, and given the ridiculous price QBs are getting drafted at (Ponder, Locker, Gabbert, Tannehill, Weeden were all severe reaches, the historical price paid to draft RGIII) Cousins will probably be very valuable in a year or two. I don't think Shanahan is getting enough credit for this move. It could very well turn out to be quite shrewd. But the stupid-ass morons at ESPN simply want to drum up controversy where there isn't any. There is NO way the Redskins are handing the keys over to Cousins after surrendering that historical price. Anyone who even mentions otherwise needs to be fired on the spot and never allowed to analyze anything sports related again. Dumbasses.

It won't effect Griffin III at all.

I do think though that there is an inherent "root for the underdog" mentality with some and I think those people, at least the ones who also hated what we gave up to be in a position to draft Griffin III, will be booing Griffin III if he struggles and Cousins looked good in preseason.

But in all honesty, that is the nature of the beast. This is nothing new and (to Skip the moron) it has nothing to do with race.

I can remember way back when I attended a preseaon game in 1986 against the Falcons at RFK. Jay Schroeder came in for Joey T in 1985 and played well. Led the team to a 5-1 finish and was the unquestioned starter going into 1986. Yet when he struggled in that game, he was booed and booed fairly loudly. Remember this is a year and a half before the whole Jay vs. Doug stuff. The boos went away as he went on to a great year in 1986. But they returned very quickly, despite a pro bowl season the year before, in 1987.

Point is Griffin III will be booed. Not saying I will do it (hell I was a Shuler, Ramsey & JC supporter to the bitter end. I want our high draft picks to work out come hell or high water especially at QB). Just that I'm expecting it to happen if he struggles. Griffin III fans had better be ready for it. It seems to be in the dna here when it comes to quarterbacks.

I think that booing will be far more destructive to Griffin III's psyche rather than Cousins being here. That booing would happen regardless of Cousins.

So drafting Cousins has not placed excessive and unnecessary pressure on Griffin III. Being the #2 pick and the picks we gave up to get him, is where the pressure will come from.

Come to think about it, I'd say it's pulling pressure off of him. The RG3 threads are dropping down the page, nobody is talking as much about him.

I'd say this might be the most pressure a guy drafted to be the #3 QB this year (and probably next) has ever felt.

Bottom line, KC1 isn't ready to play, he makes bad decisions. He will play against our D and in preseason other defenses and he will get humbled with a quickness.

Hell No!!! If our failed track record of the past 20 years at qb doesn't shake him, then I fail to see how Cousins' presence will. RG3 is the face of this franchise. EVERYONE with common sense knows this. It's only the idiots like Skip Bayless, etc who say otherwise.

I am so effin' sick of the whole "We could have used the Cousins pick to fill another need" HELLO!!!! QB was a position of need. We would have been better than 5- 11 if our qb situation was better. Mike and Bruce addressed all the glaring needs on the team. 3 Offensive lineman, 2 QB's, a ILB, a Safety and a Corner. We also added another potentially good running back in Morris who takes pride in pass blocking.

Mike and Bruce added 4 players on offensive who will protect RGlll. They added 2 weapons in the passing game in free agency. With the addition Chris Wilson, Kennan Robinson and Goff to the linebacker's core we bolstered our front seven. A good defense will also make life easier for a rookie qb. Special teams will also be key to helping out RG3 and the offense.

The way the media talks about Kirk Cousins, you'd have thought they drafted him at the end of the first round, rather than the 4th round. He's got no character issues, has all this experience and ability, yet he was only a 4th round pick. But yet, the 4th round pick is supposed to threaten the #2 overall franchise QB with 2 drafts worth of #1s invested? That makes a lot of sense. He should've gone when Tannehill went if he's so good, he's gonna be that much of a threat to unseat RG3.

Now, I will concede there's the Shuler/Frerotte history, but that was a lifetime ago and different circumstances.

I find it odd how suddenly so many people consider a 4th round pick a "high pick". It was a value pick for a position where we are eventually going to need a good backup; Rex will not be here next year. So we could bring in yet another washed up journeyman QB as a backup in 2013 or have our own home grown mid round guy who was a good college QB and will be in his 2nd year in the system as a backup. I'd rather have the latter.

And as far as any sort of controversy...there is none. Listen to Shanahan's presser when he talked about the pick. He made everything absolutely 100% as clear as you possibly can. RG3 is the future. He is the guy. Period. Cousins is here to hopefully be a quality backup. Mike told Cousins that when he drafted him.

And I think RG3 can handle the pressure of having the Skins take a flyer on a 4th round QB as a potential backup. If he can handle all of the pressure he has already as well as he has then I doubt that Cousins even registers on the radar other than maybe having another rookie QB to work through the playbook with. Either way, my guess is that Cousins doesn't even dress for any games this year. He will be the #3 QB behind RG3 and Rex and then take over as #2 in 2013.

This entire thing, IMO, is manufactured and completely nonsensical.

Archived