Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe that drafting Cousins has placed excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Who gives a flying **** what the local media says? Mike Shanahan could accidentally step on an ant and Jason Reid could spin that into a two page article about how this translate to his lack of compassion towards his players and other humans beings? I'm supposed to give a **** because LaVar "Can't Speak" Arrington and his buddy jump on the radio on critique the move, or a bunch of jackasses on ESPN talk about it nationally? What these assclowns say only holds water because whenever they say something, there will always be one group of people who vehemently take offense to what they say, therefore driving views to their articles or ratings to their shows, or there will one group that will take it as gospel.

Why waste valuable time worrying about agenda driven ********s have to say? Just ignoring it. Tune it out. You'll have more fun that way.

And it's may, and Cousins won't sniff the starting job. Quit being paranoid. The only story out there is the one being created by a news media starved for a story sense the draft is over, and the one in the panicked minds of Redskins fans.

And it's always damn funny when people go "Well this was a 5-11 team, we only one 15 games the last three years." So? Move on. Grow up. You wouldn't call this franchise awesome because we won't the Super Bowl 20 years ago, right?

To hear people talk, it's like we need to turnover the roster once a season. Here's an idea; quit ****in' worrying about us being a playoff team and just worry about us putting out a competitive team period.

they are the ones covering this team, and are always the biggest story in this town. You can keep your head in the sand all you want, but many players dont and neither does Shanahan. This will be a story, and its a distraction that just isnt necessary considering that we have a lot of holes on this team, and using a 4th round pick on a DB or WR or an inside linebacker or another OL or DL pick. Just ignoring the media's take, this pick made no sense to me because we arent a team like Green Bay or New England who can afford to develop players because they are already elite teams and can flip those picks in the future. We are no where near that right now and need guys who are going to step on the field.

I am not being paranoid at all. I havent one time, even tho you have decided to accuse me of saying it, said that Cousins will start over RG3 or worry about RG3 starting. Even though I am concerned about where Shanahan is leading this team, I do not believe that Cousins will beat out RG3 or start a game this season. That isnt the reason for my concern, and I have said that throughout.

And lol at "move on" "grow up," You should follow that advice yourself. Your post just came across as a guy needing to "grow up" and look whats in front of you. This team is not very good and we need players. Using a 4th round pick on a QB after drafting the guy who is the franchise QB was unnecessary and now its created a story that is not needed.

---------- Post added May-5th-2012 at 01:17 AM ----------

Name a hole, and i bet you I can name a player we either drafted or signed to fill said hole, if not multiple players.

I named it above this post, but that isnt the point. We need A LOT of players. We need those guys to compete with each other. Getting RG3, and giving up all those picks for him, shows that RG3 will be hte QB going forward. Now we need to look at the rest of the team and figure things out. IMO, no player on that Oline except Trent Williams should be seen as safe in their job. No player in the secondary should be seen as safe in their job. No player should be considered a starter beside London at ILB. This team still has a ways to go. Using a pick on another QB is a waste. We need to acquire a lot of talent on this team at other positions.

Nope, I read the thread title and first post and replied, ie I ANSWERED THE THREAD'S QUESTION WITH MY OPINION. Am I not allowed to do that?

You're allowed to do that. But it's not the kind of participation we seek as a habit. If you need any "why" explained on that, you'd don't belong on ES. If you're able to do so intelligently enough, however, even as a habit, no one would ever criticize you for it---certainly no one who's opinion might matter in any conventional way. But your comments here are hardly the first of yours that has struck me, for instance, as not very football-intelligent, but worse you have made the post below, and coupled all this to a posture of blowing off any need to read ta thread in which you're commenting. Any ES'er chastising you for it is absolutely correct.

I have no idea why the Redskins drafted Cousins. There is no reasonable rational for it. Its stupid and creates an unnecessary distraction for this franchise.

Now this is just an EXTREMELY stupid post (and I know it came before the other one I quoted, I just set my response up this way). It is so stupid, no matter what "side" of the topic one takes, that in and of itself it could be enough for me to send you packing elsewhere. ES staff does make such moves on such grounds at times.

What exacerbates the sheer stupidity of it, is this attitude you've attached of not being interested in reading the thread at all before you posted such a response. If you had, and assuming you really aren't just this stupid all the time, you'd have seen any number of posts that would have helped you put together a much less stupid thought wherein you would know some reasonable and rational arguments for the move---and then could still go ahead and disagree, but argue your ideas (perhaps of more important priorities for instance) at least somewhat (hopefully) intelligently.

That's a great reason to read most threads a bit before replying (and definitely ones like this) and its how we develop the more intelligent conversations here, which is what we want. What you have done lowers the level of discourse and celebrates that choice (a more serious error). I strongly suggest you do better in the future, no matter what the topic or your "side" on it.

Asiatic, the reply you made above while I was typing is much better, though position/argument-wise I think it's very weak (and that doesn't matter), but at least now it's a big step ahead of your previous effort. And next time read the thread that you're going to participate in (is my suggestion).

do you have any way the pick will be seen as reasonable then?

I just dont see the point of it considering we have a lot of holes in this team.

You're asking me to repeat things that have been answered/argued ad nausem in 3 or 4 different threads for the last week. At this point we'd be arguing the general concept as opposed to specific points because you (again, admittedly) have not read the previous pages of the thread.

I would go back and read why some people feel the way they do; personally, I didn't like the pick at first either, but I think an objective mind can see the rationale and validity of the opposing argument.

But for now it's been a rough work week and it's time to get these old bones to bed lol.

-Cheers; HTTR

I named it above this post, but that isnt the point. We need A LOT of players. We need those guys to compete with each other. Getting RG3, and giving up all those picks for him, shows that RG3 will be hte QB going forward. Now we need to look at the rest of the team and figure things out. IMO, no player on that Oline except Trent Williams should be seen as safe in their job. No player in the secondary should be seen as safe in their job. No player should be considered a starter beside London at ILB. This team still has a ways to go. Using a pick on another QB is a waste. We need to acquire a lot of talent on this team at other positions.

...Right. Because the way great NFL teams build their teams...is essentially by having no continuity whatsoever at said positions.

...Like I said, this is why fans could never be general manager and coaches.

So what you're saying is, basically, that all Mike's talk about competition and wanting guys to compete and bringing in talent to compete and saying the world compete ad nauseum over the last three years...is basically bull****, and that it doesn't matter how hard you worked last season or what you did last season, we should essentially open up every position but quarterback, left tackle and inside linebacker up for competition.

That we are basically so devoid of any kind of talent anywhere but those three positions that we can't "afford" to spend any "luxury picks".

...Everyone likes to talk about how we overvalue our players too much, but I found it's just as true that so many fans of this team think this team is absolute garbage and can't and won't do anything ever unless we turn our team upside down every year.

We need A LOT of players. We need those guys to compete with each other. Getting RG3, and giving up all those picks for him, shows that RG3 will be hte QB going forward. Now we need to look at the rest of the team and figure things out. IMO, no player on that Oline except Trent Williams should be seen as safe in their job. No player in the secondary should be seen as safe in their job. No player should be considered a starter beside London at ILB. This team still has a ways to go. Using a pick on another QB is a waste. We need to acquire a lot of talent on this team at other positions.

ignoring jumbo crushing you:

"we need competition"

most players drafted over the past 2 years of any NFL team, almost all have or will make the team. overpriced entitled FA's have been shown the door.

"trent willaims is the only olineman safe"

obviously you don't pay too much attention because we've drafted 4 linemen in the last two years. not to mention the o-line is often unfairly criticized because of qb's like beck and grossman and the injuries and suspensions last year. they still were in the top half of the league in pass and run blocking when it was all said and done.

"secondary can be replaced"

i thought wilson had a pretty good year, and having our 2 starting safeties miss the majority of the games didn't help. but all those FA acquisitions and drafted players again don't matter to you.

"no player except fletcher is a starter"

couldn't you have started with this? and don't you contradict it with TW a few sentences ago? how about the front 7? you're telling me that rak, kerrigan, riley, cofield, carriker, and bowen aren't starters? we had the 13th ranked defense, but i guess we should just cut everyone and start over.

"blah, blah, blah"

obviously you have no argument because of your limited football and current event knowledge.

if you actually pay attention to the draft and free agency you would see us moving to address your concerns, but instead you'd rather claim ignorance and refuse to listen to reason.

Someone help me out. We are discussing one pick, right? There have been a myriad of criticisms of this pick, but one I find somewhat baffling is the 'WE NEED DEPTH!!" argument. Were we supposed to package this 4th round selection for a super trade down in order to draft 20 special teams players? It's just one pick. How could we have added depth throughout the team by selecting someone else???

I feel dumber for asking it, but I really want to know.

Someone help me out. We are discussing one pick, right? There have been a myriad of criticisms of this pick, but one I find somewhat baffling is the 'WE NEED DEPTH!!" argument. Were we supposed to package this 4th round selection for a super trade down in order to draft 20 special teams players? It's just one pick. How could we have added depth throughout the team by selecting someone else???

I feel dumber for asking it, but I rreally want to know.

the worst part is the "more depth" people never name a guy, and if they manage to get a name together it's just someone they've heard of and not necessarily a fit like that heavy footed tackle.

hell, a lot of people were clamoring for minnefield there and we got him after the draft.

... how can a physically limited projected backup qb threaten him?...

Cousins does not need physical tools because he's already mastered the cerebral/intellectual aspect of both the playbook and the general pace/environment of the NFL.

Cousins is coming for RG3. Kirk Cousins is the reason Waldo is hiding.

There used to be a street near the Mich St campus named after Kirk Cousins, but it was changed because nobody crosses Kirk Cousins and lives.

I feel dumber for asking it, but I really want to know.

I don't get it either. And no one gives a coherent argument other than "well these are the same guys who were on a 5-11 team", which kind of ignores how many people we've added that WEREN'T on our team last year.

But...it's like, people say we should've gone offensive line. Only a few people can actually name an offensive lineman we should've taken, and everyone ignores that we took three, and added one in free agency, and found a couple solid guys in free agency.

Well we should've gone safety or corner! Okay; name one. "...". Okay, we we signed all these guys. "Well we're not sure about those guys!" And we also drafted two. "Well they're late rounders!" And a fourth round pick isn't? "...".

We should've drafted a linebacker! Okay, we did draft a linebacker. "Okay but what about depth"? Well what about Kehl and Goff, and we also have a couple undrafted free agents.

I feel like people are just making excuses up for not liking the pick. And it's like...it's okay to just straight up not like the pick. I'd think so many people would save themselves the trouble if they simply said "I don't like that we drafted Kirk Cousins. I just don't. I understand other people do, but it's just not a pick I like."

And it'd be even more so if 3/4's of the people who say they don't like the pick had ever seen Cousins play. "I don't like the Cousins pick, I just don't find him to be a good quarterback prospect or a good potential back-up on our team." Boom. Simple. Easy.

But the "OH EM GEE WE HAVE HOLES EVERYWHERE AND NO DEPTH" argument is getting old, fast. We've got more depth than we've had in years, and simply adding guys just to add guys because adding guys even at positions where you have depth is a great way to get lots of guys doesn't mean anything.

I don't get it either. And no one gives a coherent argument other than "well these are the same guys who were on a 5-11 team", which kind of ignores how many people we've added that WEREN'T on our team last year.

But...it's like, people say we should've gone offensive line. Only a few people can actually name an offensive lineman we should've taken, and everyone ignores that we took three, and added one in free agency, and found a couple solid guys in free agency.

Well we should've gone safety or corner! Okay; name one. "...". Okay, we we signed all these guys. "Well we're not sure about those guys!" And we also drafted two. "Well they're late rounders!" And a fourth round pick isn't? "...".

We should've drafted a linebacker! Okay, we did draft a linebacker. "Okay but what about depth"? Well what about Kehl and Goff, and we also have a couple undrafted free agents.

I feel like people are just making excuses up for not liking the pick. And it's like...it's okay to just straight up not like the pick. I'd think so many people would save themselves the trouble if they simply said "I don't like that we drafted Kirk Cousins. I just don't. I understand other people do, but it's just not a pick I like."

And it'd be even more so if 3/4's of the people who say they don't like the pick had ever seen Cousins play. "I don't like the Cousins pick, I just don't find him to be a good quarterback prospect or a good potential back-up on our team." Boom. Simple. Easy.

But the "OH EM GEE WE HAVE HOLES EVERYWHERE AND NO DEPTH" argument is getting old, fast. We've got more depth than we've had in years, and simply adding guys just to add guys because adding guys even at positions where you have depth is a great way to get lots of guys doesn't mean anything.

Lol

I joked awhile back about Battered Fan Syndrome, akin to Battered Wife/Girlfriend Syndrome.

We've got this super hunk with a great personality with soft eyes, and deep pockets, and we're struggling. It's almost too good to be true. They'll start to shortcircuit when he engages them in deep conversation, buys them new shoes, compliments how they look, holds the door for them.

Surely, he has to be a serial killer/drug dealer/child molester right?

I think people are struggling to accept that for the first time in a very long time, we might actually know what the hell we're doing. :)

Someone help me out. We are discussing one pick, right? There have been a myriad of criticisms of this pick, but one I find somewhat baffling is the 'WE NEED DEPTH!!" argument.

Well it's clear that drafting Cousins will be the difference between a 12-4 season and a 4-12 season. Football is a "team sport," but drafting Cousins has set this franchise back 3 years. We needed a "real" depth player to have a fighting chance this season.

Back up QB doesn't qualify. :rolleyes:

Babble babble gfurfle sputz jork norbiffle gnork gnork jassput noik lallop zadringo snaforfle humpett gashnork. Repeat hourly for 10 days.

Best post in days here.

This topic has be hashed, rehashed, reviewed and dissected to death and beyond, and IMO was pretty much given all the attention and explanation needed in the first 24 hours. Some people, NLC1054 in particular, have gone out of their way to offer an informed critique several times and the simple sense of adding a backup QB shouldn't warrant all this angst, but the thread has morphed into something far beyond that. It isn't about Cousins, it isn't about Skip Bayless and his vomitous commentary, we've gone WAY beyond those topics, it's a barometer for that % of the fanbase that has cultivated their contrarian stance to BE their fanhood, that faction whose sole expression on anything Redskins is "I hate it! I disagree with the coaches, can't stand Dan Snyder, don't like the stadium design, wouldn't have called that play, can't believe they drafted ___________, can't believe they didn't draft ___________, etc, etc, yadda yadda yadda gabble glarf!" I am sure there is some clinical explanation for people that reject the rehab, that have suffered some structural damage due to longterm disappointment and NFL abuse so badly that they never recover, and if there isn't I'm going to apply for a govt grant to study it right here. Ought to be able to write off all tailgating and tickets, and even sitting here on ES, as research on their tab.

This thread was made because people are unsure if it will mess with RG3's mentality. Thats what the title says, so maybe I am not the one being dense.

Actually, not to beat a dead horse, but this thread was certainly not created out of my being "unsure" if Cousin's will mess with RG3's psyche. This was definately one of those times where it pays to read the entire thread. See post #268 for example.

The thread was created to prove a point, and the point was proven. Now...the merits and worth of such an idea have come up for debate in the thread, and people are entitled to their opinion, but make no mistake. The thread was not created because this member was concerned about RG3 with respect to Cousins.

Painkiller, mi amigo, I have no doubt that you will agree with me that it is time (really, well past time but we like to give all the idiot-leash we can) to put this one to bed for a number of excellent reasons. There are still other threads where the need for this particular rehashing, mindless or not, can occur. :)

Archived