Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe that drafting Cousins has placed excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

RG3 is a killer. An elite physical specimen. This kid is as mentally tough as they come and he eats competition for breakfast. One playaction boot seeing him take off like a G6 around the edge or pull up to throw a laser to whomever is going to put all this asinine B.S. to bed forever. Fans who are fickle enough to call for Cousins are the reactionary types anyway, so the many flash plays of RG3 will hypnotize them to never ever give thought to Kirk Freakin Cousins.

So you are saying that it is okay to draft backup CBs, LBs, RTs and D-linemen with a fourth round pick but not a backup QB, right?

I would say that at this point in time, it would have been more prudent to have taken a cb, oline, or other player at a position we still had team needs at. Or are u implying that we were good to go everywhere but backup qb? 5 and 11 record last season may imply that we need more help than just a potential stud qb.....also, last time i checked, our d was not top 10 either. We could have waited until 7th round....or after draft bring in a undrafted rookie qb.....

I would say that at this point in time, it would have been more prudent to have taken a cb, oline, or other player at a position we still had team needs at. Or are u implying that we were good to go everywhere but backup qb? 5 and 11 record last season may imply that we need more help than just a potential stud qb.....also, last time i checked, our d was not top 10 either. We could have waited until 7th round....or after draft bring in a undrafted rookie qb.....

So are you saying that you believe in drafting for need and not drafting the best player available? I ask because it seems that we drafted a QB that was rated as about the 5th best in the draft and was a 2nd rounder in many mock drafts and we got him in the 4th round. Clearly he was one of the best players available and at a position of need. Next year we won't need Sexy around anymore.

After signing several CBs, LBs, OL in free agency and drafting 3 DL last year.

We have needs!

We have a need for fans to notice when needs are addressed.

~Bang

We also have a need to be realistic. I fail to see how picking a player that is in a position of need....say....secondary, oline, ilb, dline.....with a 4th round pick, then take a qb prospect in either 7th round or undrafted fa would not have been wiser. While Rex has his imperfections, he is a serviceable backup imho.....no immediate need on our part to replace him.

Or did i miss something last season? While overall i love the direction the team is taking under Shanahan and Allen, this pick left me wondering....it is not as if we have a dominant team already, secure at most positions with the starters.....heck, how many new faces will we see in this years starting lineup vice last year?

At least we will have a young unproven qb riding the pine as a backup rather than wrecks grossman, huh. Still gotta pray that RGIII is like peyton manning in at least one aspect.....ability to play over a decade without missing a start. If that beomes the case then anyone could be the backup and it just would not matter.

---------- Post added May-4th-2012 at 01:27 AM ----------

So are you saying that you believe in drafting for need and not drafting the best player available? I ask because it seems that we drafted a QB that was rated as about the 5th best in the draft and was a 2nd rounder in many mock drafts and we got him in the 4th round. Clearly he was one of the best players available and at a position of need. Next year we won't need Sexy around anymore.

Concur that cousins probably was a value pick, just not one that we needed to make at his point in our rebuilding effort. Are u comfortable with picking our potential backup qb vice picking a player at another position of need who may actually see playing time this season with the 4th pick? Guess all our issues/needs at other positions have been answered.

I am not unhappy we drafted a young qb as backup, just disagree with when that backup was taken, and some of the rationale for the move.

I believe if RG3 struggles initially there will be some impatient morons calling for Cousins.

CULT OF COUSINS

We were aiming for our own Rodgers/Flynn scenario (who wouldn't?) and I hope to God that we achieve that. I don't mind the pick, although Rex probably does.

I don't care

He's insurance

You know who we had at QB last year? The more young arms we have, the better off we'll be. We don't need Rex backing RG3 up and throwing picks all over the place, or throwing wildly inaccurate bombs. We need a youth movement.

I hate MSU but Cousins is an above-average prospect that should be given a shot to backup (and I'm trying to be nice because I'm heavily biased against MSU). If for some unlucky reason RG3 suffers injury, we can just put in another young QB.

RG3 will be fine

Not according to Mike Shanahan. The other night, he laid it out to all of us and showed us the depth we have at all of the positions you just listed. He said he could have added even more to those areas, or take a quality QB that was valued very high--one that slid to the 4th round. Your premise is incorrect, which sets up the second half of your argument to fail.

I think that pick was for a trade to upgrade a 4th for a 2nd or a 3rd. Cousin was projected as a second and we will see him alot in preseason to show his ability. There are teams out there that wanted him. He had the highest value on our board at the 4th round. I wish we had taken another OL guy but shanahan always has a reason. Grossman is not a good backup. Hes ok but a liability. Rushing qb's get hurt. So if RG does we are back to where we were last year. We need a better backup. Grossman knows the offense and be our teacher to the new guys.

Take a look at the rest of the offseason.

To that point in the draft we'd already brought in 2 free agent corners. . We drafted another corner later in the day. We need a nickel back, someone to press Barnes

(we also brought in 3 FA safeties, and drafted another. 7 New DBs on the squad heading for minicamp.)

OL, we brought in a free agent, and drafted 3 of them. (2 G, 1 T) Also, take into account the development of our rookie OL last offseason. Tyler Palumbus looks like he could compete for the RT job based on his work down the stretch last year. Other rookies and young players got invaluable experience for depth players.

we addressed so many of the needs that people think we didn't address. You want to take an undrafted QB to come in if RG3 gets hurt, or would you rather send in whatever losers are floating around the league looking for a job?

Cousins was an excellent choice in a position of need.

i keep hearing about all this other need, well, in the 4th you're drafting for depth. And to think we have or don't need to concern ourselves with depth at the QB position is ridiculous, IMO.

The undrafted QBs, the 7th rounders,, these are the Curtis Painter's of the world. You really want that? You'd (rightfully) have a fit if our backup left tackle was such a bad player.

I don't see why folks are willing to accept horrible players at QB2.

~Bang

I can see the argument both ways.

I think getting Cousins in the 4th round is really good value.

But, I also think that the argument that it was a luxury pick that the team might not be able to afford has merit as well. Remember, Helu was a 4th rounder last year and he was starting by the end of the season.

If things go as planned, Cousins won't be starting ever as a Redskin.

I have no idea why the Redskins drafted Cousins. There is no reasonable rational for it. Its stupid and creates an unnecessary distraction for this franchise.

It's only a distraction if we make it one. Who cares with the national media thinks? The whole story is coooling off anyway in the wake of the NFLPA filing grievances and the untimely passing of Junior Seau.

I have no idea why the Redskins drafted Cousins. There is no reasonable rational for it. Its stupid and creates an unnecessary distraction for this franchise.

Are you dense? Did you not read this whole thread or listen to MS explain why? The pick is made and he's wearing a Redskins jersey. Why he was picked cannot be more clear.

But, I also think that the argument that it was a luxury pick that the team might not be able to afford has merit as well. Remember, Helu was a 4th rounder last year and he was starting by the end of the season..

The funny thing? Everyone swore up and down that Roy Helu and Evan Royster were luxury picks. "Why are we taking two running backs? We have Keiland Williams and Ryan Torain. We don't need anymore running backs, what is Shanny thinking, we could've used those picks on offensive lineman, blah blah blah blah..."

It went on like that for a long time. It was until we got into the season and K-Wil was gone and Torain was underperforming and hurt again that people sort of quieted down, and it helped that Helu looked awesome. But even then, people grumbled about Royster until he got called up and played.

The two guys that were considered "luxury picks" last year both went on to have some pretty damn good production for us. Yes, in an ideal world, Cousins never sees the field. The problem? This ain't an ideal world. Far from it. "Luxury picks" are only "luxury picks" until your starting running back goes down and your back up underperforms, and then "oh look---we've got two young, fresh guys with fresh legs just sitting on the bench." And when Roy started to wear down, we had Evan to pick up the slack.

It's only a distraction if we make it one. Who cares with the national media thinks? The whole story is coooling off anyway in the wake of the NFLPA filing grievances and the untimely passing of Junior Seau.

its a distraction because the local media see a story here and will run with it.

And its May, lets wait until training camp starts and preseason to see if this a story or not.

Are you dense? Did you not read this whole thread or listen to MS explain why? The pick is made and he's wearing a Redskins jersey. Why he was picked cannot be more clear.

This thread was made because people are unsure if it will mess with RG3's mentality. Thats what the title says, so maybe I am not the one being dense.

MS says its a steal? And that we have depth to win? This team has only won 15 games the last 3 seasons, do you really believe we have the talent needed to be a playoff team right now?

The Redskins need players all over the field. Drafting a QB in the 4th round after trading away 2 first round picks and a second round pick to get your franchise QB is unnecessary and has already created a distraction.

= I have not read any page or post in this thread prior to this one, and frankly I don't care to.

Disagreeing with the pick is a valid position.

But there are 21 pages in this thread. If you have no idea why anyone understands the pick or is even (gasp) in favor of it, then you simply don't get it or haven't been paying attention. And I apologize for how that sounds, but c'mon man.

"This pick sucks" =/= "no reasonable rational [sic]"

The funny thing? Everyone swore up and down that Roy Helu and Evan Royster were luxury picks. "Why are we taking two running backs? We have Keiland Williams and Ryan Torain. We don't need anymore running backs, what is Shanny thinking, we could've used those picks on offensive lineman, blah blah blah blah..."

It went on like that for a long time. It was until we got into the season and K-Wil was gone and Torain was underperforming and hurt again that people sort of quieted down, and it helped that Helu looked awesome. But even then, people grumbled about Royster until he got called up and played.

The two guys that were considered "luxury picks" last year both went on to have some pretty damn good production for us. Yes, in an ideal world, Cousins never sees the field. The problem? This ain't an ideal world. Far from it. "Luxury picks" are only "luxury picks" until your starting running back goes down and your back up underperforms, and then "oh look---we've got two young, fresh guys with fresh legs just sitting on the bench." And when Roy started to wear down, we had Evan to pick up the slack.

people were happy with Keiland Williams and Ryan Torain? I dont say that to be snarky, but I wasnt happy with those two at all. More than anything, Williams and Torain were signed off the street. We did not give up 3 top draft picks to get those two.

We need players elsewhere, especially since we do not have many early round picks. And its also created an unnecessary story.

---------- Post added May-5th-2012 at 12:39 AM ----------

= I have not read any page or post in this thread prior to this one, and frankly I don't care to.

But there are 21 pages in this thread. If you have no idea why anyone supports the pick or is even (gasp) in favor of it, then you simply don't get it or haven't been paying attention. And I apologize for how that sounds, but c'mon man.

"This pick sucks" =/= "no reasonable rational"

Nope, I read the thread title and first post and replied, ie I ANSWERED THE THREAD'S QUESTION WITH MY OPINION. Am I not allowed to do that?

And you should read the entirety of a post instead of running here mad, which you tried to accuse me of. I dont see a reason for the pick. We need players in other positions, aaaaannnnnd it creates a story that was unnecessary.

Nope, I read the thread title and first post and replied, ie I ANSWERED THE THREAD'S QUESTION WITH MY OPINION. Am I not allowed to do that?

And you should read the entirety of a post instead of running here mad, which you tried to accuse me of. I dont see a reason for the pick. We need players in other positions, aaaaannnnnd it creates a story that was unnecessary.

Who's running here mad? Not me. In fact I find the entire Cousins debate very entertaining lol (note my sig).

And you're certainly entitled to your opinion. If you "read the entirety of a post" (your words) you'd see where I recognize that:

But just because you disagree doesn't mean there's no reasonable rationale for it. How can you even make that claim if you admittedly haven't read anyone's posts?

Very simple question for the poll. Do you believe that the Redskins drafting Kirk Cousins somehow places excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

no.

Do you agree with the draft pick? Do you see Cousins as competing for the back-up job, or potentially competing for the starting job?

yes, backup job hopefully sooner than later.

Do you believe that if RG3 struggles throughout the season, that the fan base will call for Cousins?

no.

RGIII is the savior of the franchise, the fans know that, the media knows that, everyone knows that. how can a physically limited projected backup qb threaten him?

if that qb does threaten him and causes him to fail then the mistake pick wasn't the backup it was the starter.

its a distraction because the local media see a story here and will run with it.

And its May, lets wait until training camp starts and preseason to see if this a story or not.

Who gives a flying **** what the local media says? Mike Shanahan could accidentally step on an ant and Jason Reid could spin that into a two page article about how this translate to his lack of compassion towards his players and other humans beings? I'm supposed to give a **** because LaVar "Can't Speak" Arrington and his buddy jump on the radio on critique the move, or a bunch of jackasses on ESPN talk about it nationally? What these assclowns say only holds water because whenever they say something, there will always be one group of people who vehemently take offense to what they say, therefore driving views to their articles or ratings to their shows, or there will one group that will take it as gospel.

Why waste valuable time worrying about agenda driven ********s have to say? Just ignoring it. Tune it out. You'll have more fun that way.

And it's may, and Cousins won't sniff the starting job. Quit being paranoid. The only story out there is the one being created by a news media starved for a story sense the draft is over, and the one in the panicked minds of Redskins fans.

And it's always damn funny when people go "Well this was a 5-11 team, we only one 15 games the last three years." So? Move on. Grow up. You wouldn't call this franchise awesome because we won't the Super Bowl 20 years ago, right?

To hear people talk, it's like we need to turnover the roster once a season. Here's an idea; quit ****in' worrying about us being a playoff team and just worry about us putting out a competitive team period.

But just because you disagree doesn't mean there's no reasonable rationale for it. How can you even make that claim if you admittedly haven't read anyone's posts?

do you have any way the pick will be seen as reasonable then?

I just dont see the point of it considering we have a lot of holes in this team.

people were happy with Keiland Williams and Ryan Torain? I dont say that to be snarky, but I wasnt happy with those two at all. More than anything, Williams and Torain were signed off the street. We did not give up 3 top draft picks to get those two.

The whole "we gave up so much to get him we should've never looked at Cousins in the 4th" thing is of like complaining that your neighbor bought a beautiful new Mercedes, and then went out and bought a Toyota to take the family around in. "HE CAN'T BUY A TOYOTA! Look how much money he spend on that Benz, and now he's spending money on a Toyota? That's just not a good decision on his part! He spent so much money on the Benz in the first place, why we he need another car? Just drive that car and never worry about it bringing! Hell, you always have that 1987 Ford Escort in the garage, and if the Benz breaks down you can get plenty of solid rentals."

Archived