Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe that drafting Cousins has placed excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Right but who's saying there is?

Not me.

Then what's your argument? That if Shanahan valued someone else they could have taken them? They didn't value someone else. They valued Cousins.

Then you said something about the pressure being unnecessary no matter how well Griffin handles it...

What pressure?!?!?!?!

Look at the results of this poll. The pressure is media driven.

You know something else that bothers me about what Bayless said. In so many words, he said that "black" quarterbacks need to be "protected." Protecting RG3 from unnecessary pressure is more important than developing a solid team with depth on the roster from top to bottom? Shanahan's first responsibility now is to Griffin because he is a black QB, NOT to doing everything he can to make the Redskins a better team?

I know RG3 or any other black QB would not agree with that for one second.

I say no because I was never that impressed with Cousins in college. Some should already know that I'm disgusted with the Cousins pick not because of a threat to RGIII, but I just think it was a totally wasted pick.

I've heard about Cousins being the Redskin's 3rd ranked QB in the draft...ahead of Tannehill, Weeden and Wilson?? smh

My contention is that a successful pick of a back-up QB has less on the field benefit then an equally successful pick at another position.

That can easily be argued against, though...there is the philosophy and belief that there IS no more valuable backup than the backup QB, regardless of how much he sees the field in any given season.

I've read this thread and have listened to radio commentary ad-nauseum. You can dissect this pick all you want and draw whatever conclusions, but how about this for thought:

We have been in desperate need of competent quarterbacks since 1992. We finally get what seems to be two studs, solidifying the most important roster position, and people still find a way to *****.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

32 starting nfl QBs in the WORLD. The job pressure is there for all of them. The gifted still need to work harder than everyone else though.

The kid is golden right now. He has the ability and the brains..just needs to keep learning and working hard throughout his career.

I say no because I was never that impressed with Cousins in college. Some should already know that I'm disgusted with the Cousins pick not because of a threat to RGIII, but I just think it was a totally wasted pick.

I've heard about Cousins being the Redskin's 3rd ranked QB in the draft...ahead of Tannehill, Weeden and Wilson?? smh

What are your credentials that you're able to judge talent better than the Redskins FO?

I appreciate where you're coming from, in this blog. But, Cousins is just not ready yet. Eventually, this kid will take the number 2 spot from Grossman. Just, not this year. Still, I'm anxious to see him develop, and I think he'll develop faster than we can even imagine. Stop and think. Everytime RGII runs, there is potential for injury. Do you really want Rex replacing him? I think not. For now I'll put my eggs into two baskets: RGIII and Cousins.

I do not think RG3 is that 'sensitive' about Cousins coming in and the Skins have made it clear that RG3 is the franchise QB not Cousins. RG3 is a mature and disciplined kid, he can handle it.

There is a reason why Cousins fell to the 4th round, he was picked as a developemental QB to understudy RG3 not as a starter.

As long as we/he/everyone understands that, there is no QB controversy. If RG3 underwhelms in year 1, I wouldn't want Rex in there anymore than I do Cousins. There are always growing pains and we should let RG3 figure it out.

Injury to RG3 is a wholly different animal, I'd give Rex the shot and let Cousins sit a for year like Rodgers.

I read that Cousins has take brain 'therapy' to increase his mental capacity, he can use that brain power to sit and absorb the playbook and watch Griffin.

To answer the poll....NO....Here's a funny story though....a sports talk radio show in Vegas just got done saying a trade is in the works for Randy Moss and a 1st round pick for Kirk Cousins as we speak. He is getting railed by football fans calling in. He swears it's true though. I'm having trouble not laughing. Idiots....

To answer the poll....NO....Here's a funny story though....a sports talk radio show in Vegas just got done saying a trade is in the works for Randy Moss and a 1st round pick for Kirk Cousins as we speak. He is getting railed by football fans calling in. He swears it's true though. I'm having trouble not laughing. Idiots....

If true, and I'm pretty sure it's not. Mike and Bruce are ****ing geniuses. Even though I don't want R Moss, but a 1st rounder for a 4th round pick, hahahahahahaha "gasp"..

That can easily be argued against, though...there is the philosophy and belief that there IS no more valuable backup than the backup QB, regardless of how much he sees the field in any given season.
But that is a different argument.

I'm not talking about value I'm talking about actual on the field benefit and any player that actually plays has more on the field benefit then one that doesn't play.

Hell, I'd take Moss and a 4th in a heartbeat. We aren't a good enough team to turn down Randy Moss.

I guess my problem is.....if the 49ers wanted Cousins so bad....why wouldnt they have just drafted him? Back on topic though...the more I think about drafting Cousins the more I like it.

Then what's your argument?
I'm not making an argument I answered the questions in the OP then answered the questions posed afterwards.

I didn't create the parameters I'm responded to them.

If you have an issue with choice of words or the poll questions talk to Painkiller.

What pressure?!?!?!?!
!?!?!?!?!?!??! ;)

I don't know; whatever pressure Painkiller was refring to in the poll question.

My guess would be the pressure to perform though wouldn't you think?

The pressure to perform in the NFL when a player is drafted at another players same position.

Look at the results of this poll. The pressure is media driven.
The poll question is so obviously loaded that its nearly meaningless.

And at the end of the day its an extremeskins poll, there were polls that said that Colt Brennan shoulda been the starting QB.

---------- Post added May-1st-2012 at 05:25 PM ----------

Here's my complete view on the Cousins pick from the 2 QBs thread: (only posting it to pre-empty false assumptions about my viewpoint)

I agree that every championship contending team needs a viable back-up.

And like you said Cousins doesn't help us this year.

As much as I dislike the idea of Rex being the back-up, he's well liked and has a knowledge of the offense that Cousins won't eclipse in one offseason. (but we can hope c'mon Kirk)

But if Cousins doesn't help us this year because Rex is the better back-up then we used a valueable 4th round pick this year to address a future problem.

In essence it was a drafting for a need, albiet a future need.

I don't see the benefit in addressing a future problem with immediate resources when there are areas that represent both an immediate benefit and long term benefit.

The standing argument seems to be 'well Cousins was the BPA'.

And obviously this is true because we drafted him; if Cousins wasn't the BPA on our board then we wouldn't have drafted him.

And the fact that we drafted Cousins in and of itself is something to take solace in.

Unlike the reaction to my posts, I have nothing against Cousins as a prospect.

Its part of a double edged sword because our scouting department tends do good job in the middle to late rounds.(Riley, Helu, Royster, Hurt, Nield etc)

The flip side of that sword suggests that they may have made a good pick at another position.

And for me adding talent at another position, a position that can actually contribute on the field, would have been the way to go.

Their mid-late round drafting success also suggests that they may have been able to find another QB in the later rounds.(recent QB decisions prior to this draft excluded of course McNabb, Wrecks, Beck)

But, the real question can only be answered in time: whether they were right to value Cousins higher then some of the other players available.(I've already mentioned some of those players in my earlier post)

-Hail

---------- Post added May-1st-2012 at 05:29 PM ----------

greenie the Colts took two QB's in this draft as well. One in the first and one in the seventh. How do you feel about that?
I don't 'feel' anyway about it.

Do you even know how I feel about the Cousins pick in the first place? All you're doing is jumping to conclusion based on your obviously biased poll questions which don't match my view point at all.

Do you think because they drafted Luck they shouldn't have taken another QB for depth in this draft?
Nope.

As others have said, pressure isn't a BAD thing. I don't believe this puts any pressure on Griffin. But the NFL, the playoffs, and the superbowl are intense pressure for any player to deal with. You WANT a player who can handle pressure, not a player who avoids it and is babied away from it.

If Griffin cant handle the pressure of a 4th round pick, he cannot lead this team to the superbowl, case closed. The best QB's eat pressure for breakfast, and thats what we have been missing.

This whole topic makes my head hurt. People on both sides make arguments that just don’t make sense to me.

Robert Griffin is the unquestioned starter. He is the man. There is no real controversy here. What the team gave up to get him makes that a fact. Any pressure given by Kirk Cousins pales in comparison to the other pressure he faces here. Let’s see Cousins beat out Rex Grossman before we start any discussion about a QB controversy. It’s amazing how this guy’s stock has risen when some people didn’t even consider him a second tier QB (Tannehill, Weeden, and Osweiler).

What Mike Shanahan did with pick 102 was unconventional. That’s why it is being questioned by some. Fourth round picks are not throw away picks. I understand why some people think a team in our position should have gone for another position. You can find starters in that round. Shanahan got Helu, Riley, B. Marshall and E. Dumervil in the fourth. It was a bold move but I understand why he did it. Backup QB is a unique position and we have a need there. Shanahan obviously feels more comfortable with some of our other positions than people realize. If Cousins' value to them far outweighed anyone else on their board then I get why they took him. This isn’t a move for this upcoming season. If they think this guy can play then it only makes our team stronger down the line.

Finally, I don’t understand why people continue to try to compare this move to what the Eagles, Patriots and Colts have done. It’s not the same thing in my eyes. In two of those situations you’re dealing with aging QBs, one of which is highly established at his position. In the Colts situation, the second rookie QB is literally “irrelevant”. Mike Shanahan found himself in a unique position and made a bold call. Let it be judged on its own merits and not compare it to situations that don’t quite match-up. There are better arguments to be made to justify the Cousins selection.

I'm glad that we will have a backup QB to develop. Look what happened to the Colts. If Manning had be injured any earlier in his career with Curtis Painter as the backup QB for a number of years, their season would have been very bad long before they were ready to replace Manning. We will be competitive with RGIII and with Cousins as our backup QB. They will both develop in the same system at the same time. I have zero confidence that Grossman can come in and win any games with a division, conference or SB title on the line.

I don't see additional pressure because Kirk isn't 2nd string and won't get many meaningful preseason series. More importantly there is slightly less pressure on the organization with a viable backup option down the road who just as importantly may be a chip to retain some picks in the future. The pressure to have RG3 for 16 games every season has dropped. The Redskins are in better shape now

I don't think it has put pressure on RG3. I just think it shows him that we don't have confidence in him.

If everything works out as it should, RG3 will be playing every down for many years to come and Cousins will never see the field. We should surround RG3 with weapons, not another QB to compete with. I hate the pick.

I don't think it has put pressure on RG3. I just think it shows him that we don't have confidence in him.

If everything works out as it should, RG3 will be playing every down for many years to come and Cousins will never see the field. We should surround RG3 with weapons, not another QB to compete with. I hate the pick.

Yeah, okay. We only swapped first round picks and spent two other first round picks and a second round pick in this year's draft to move up and get the guy. Clearly we've got no faith that Robert Griffin III can be a franchise quarterback.

Another thing to add to the "dumbest things Redskins fans have said" thread...

Archived