Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe that drafting Cousins has placed excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The only person who should be worried about Cousins being drafted is Rex Grossman. The fact that Beck was released immediately, tells us Shanahan is looking for a qualified backup that isn't going to screw the pooch for the team if RG3 goes down with injury for a chunk of games over the course of his career.

Grossman might know the offense, but his turnovers tend to make a huge difference for a team that is locked into a ton of close games, especially against division rivals.

Shanahan is thinking long term, and setting up the pieces it will take to hang with the "big boys" for years to come.

At worst, we will have a nice bargaining chip for teams in need of a QB, and can get a 1st or some 2nd round picks traded TO US for a change.

Media people criticizing this move are the same ones who roasted us for going to war with Rex and Beck. We just can't win!

Cousins was thought of pre-draft as a third rounder, back-up project and that's what he's going to be for a team with serious QB needs.

I could understand the flap if we'd picked Weeden and Griffin, but come on.

I like Shanallen more every day. They are not building a team, they are building a franchise. They are thinking about more than 2012, and even more than 2013. In fact, I could see Rex here in 2013 as well.

The skins needed Doug Williams to win a Super Bowl. The Giants needed Hostetler. What happened to the Eagles when Vick went down? What about the Bears when Cutler went down? Colts w/o Manning?

Good franchises develop good depth who can come in and play when they're needed. Shanallen has developed depth at WR, OL (through this draft), RB, TE, DL, LB (through FA/draft) and now QB. He also brought in people to play DB. Our 53 man roster is far from perfect, but it's far far far better than anything we've seen since the Norv days.

This team is growing, and will continue to grow together. We're younger and better than we've been in years. People won't want to play us and 2012, and they'll fear us in 2013...because Shanallen are building a franchise.

I think Kirk Cousins could be a fine backup to RG3. I think the idea that he'd place ANY pressure on RG3, however, is quite silly. Shanahan drafted Cousins to be a young, developmental backup -- and for the next few years a cheaper option to Rex. That really is the only rational explanation for this pick.

The idea that he would somehow compete for the starting QB job with RG3 in serviceable condition is a joke of an idea.

Oh, I have no doubt some morons will crawl out of the woodwork when Kirk Cousins plays well against the third string back-ups in preseason. That's just the nature of the beast; when the quarterback is struggling, the back-up is the favorite guy in the world. (See: 49ers fans chanting for David friggin' Carr in 2010, versus really wanting Alex Smith resigned in 2011.)

Here's the thing; Mike doesn't give a **** what any of us think. And if RGIII struggles (and we're talking about Blaine Gabbert levels of struggling, not just regular rookie growing pains), Rex will be in the game, not Kirk.

I feel like that's what gets left out in this whole thing. Rex is the back-up. Not Kirk. Kirk's third string.

I wish that the 6 people who voted yes on this poll would come and explain why they think this puts unnecessary pressure on RG3.

In the world of sports if you don't have competition, suckage has a tendency to rear its ugly head. BTW I don't for a minute think that Cousins is competition for RG3, but rather Grossman...

Oh, I have no doubt some morons will crawl out of the woodwork when Kirk Cousins plays well against the third string back-ups in preseason. That's just the nature of the beast.

Thought about that last night. I have no doubt that it will happen, especially since Cousins, according to many, is a film junky, hard worker, etc etc.

Guys will try to show up RGlll, and he'll probably have to get used to a lot of presnap stuff early on, getting adjusted to playing at a faster pace than he is used to, while Cousins is lighting up the "All 9-5 Team."

I pray that we as a fan base can be smarter than that though, and recognize the how/why of it all, but I know better.

I can't believe all the chatter about this pick, am I the only one that was in total agreement with this pick? After next year bye bye to back up Rex, maybe he will be 3rd string. We will have a monster at starting QB and a solid YOUNG backup. This is a great plan moving forward, especially for a franchise that has been in QB hell for what 20 + years.

more pressure than have a pile of high picks traded for you, being the presumed starer for an organizaion that has not had a franchise QB for over 2 decades and playing in front of a fan base that is expecting you to turn things around quickly....I don't think the fact that Cousins is on the roster matter....RG has a lot of pressure regardless.

I don't agree. I think no matter when you do it, bringing in another free agent or draft pick for depth at the QB position was necessary. I think over the long-term this will be the best move. Two experienced guys brought in the same year, who have learned the system together.

Some people have tried to draw comparisons to Shuler and Frerotte. I remember those times well, and the situation was completely different. Different management, different era, different coach, different front office. Different expectations even, the team was just coming off it's most successful period ever.

Its probably not a big deal but there is already a ton of pressure on RG3 - all those picks, the fans, the hype. It looks like he is mentally ready to handle all of it but why put any more on him?

I agree, the skins need a backup but I think cousins was a luxury pick that could have been used elsewhere.

When the talking heads at ESPN started immediately bad-mouthing the pick, I could see where they were coming from regarding unnecessary pressure on RG3. But Shanahan said he spoke with RG3 prior to making the pick and RG3 was fine with it, so that's all that matters. Pick #2 vs #102? Where's the controversy?

Yes, I agree with and love the pick. Cousins was drafted to be a very servicable back-up in case of injury. It also doesn't hurt that, on the remote possibility that RG3 ends up being a bust, Cousins could be a viable replacement.

Finally, I cannot see the fan base calling for Cousins if RG3 struggles throughout the season. I believe the fan base is smarter and more patient than that. They know the price that was paid to get RG3. They also know he is very young and a bit raw.

Here's the thing; Mike doesn't give a **** what any of us think.

Just another great change made by this FO. If you're really listening to the fans about how to run the team, you need to be looking for work elsewhere.

This whole subject is getting increasingly dumb, anyone that thinks this even IS an issue needs to get to get that slow leak in their skull patched.

Hell No. RG isn't that type of person. Shanahan told him in advance what he was going to do and he understood...He's the #2 pick for a reason.. There's nobody picked in the 4th round that is going to rattle this kid

I don't know who the guest was on Cowherds show a moment ago, but he was actually suggesting that one of the reasons the cousins pick made no sense was because we Don't have any first round picks. (we only lose 2 right? 2013 2014? seriously?) They forget we signed Garcon and Morgan, who may not be Randy Moss or TO in their prime, but are good receivers. And my argument is the fact we don't have a 1st Round later, means we had one chance to take on a QB who could be good to great, but likely not hall of fame material in Cousins (he may prove that statement wrong who knows) or do nothing to fix our Back up QB situation next year or in 2014. Seriously, did they see our QB play last year?

Also, I've gotten so I can't even listen to Wilbon anymore. The Guy is so Anti Skin anymore it isn't funny. Cousins has a better chance of making the roster than our 7th round picks I imagine, and not just because he was a 4th Rounder. I just can't believe some the crazy stuff I've heard this week already.

IN the history of the Redskins (Forgive me Early Skins if I miss someone) there have been only 2 4th Round PIcks in the entire history of the Redskins Before Shanahan who made what I consider to be significant contributions. Those Redskin players:

Stephen Davis, RB

Don Warren, TE

That's it! In all those years of the draft how many 4th Round picks were significant contributors, just 2? Really? Wow. (note I'm not counting current skins)

I can't believe all the chatter about this pick, am I the only one that was in total agreement with this pick? After next year bye bye to back up Rex, maybe he will be 3rd string. We will have a monster at starting QB and a solid YOUNG backup. This is a great plan moving forward, especially for a franchise that has been in QB hell for what 20 + years.

Did you see the poll results?

The one criticism I can see of this pick would be from people who don't trust Shanny with Defense. Maybe he could have loaded up a little more with a safety or corner?

This pick certainly isn't the only way we could have gone, but the hand-wringing is silly and contrived. I think that Shanallen looked at Cousins as the BPA on our board and thus went that direction. It makes perfect sense unless you're a Skins basher.

---------- Post added May-1st-2012 at 12:49 PM ----------

Wilbon and Cornhole just offered their two cents of course as well. They don't agree with the pick either, because it could possibly "undermine" RG3.

Wilbon's word.

The only thing being undermined is certain reporters' credibility.

Archived