Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe that drafting Cousins has placed excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

lol really, let me guess you have never made a judgement on a player in all your nearly 15,000 posts.

Never.

I was just curious what mechanics he looks for in a quarterback. And what he values in a quarterback. And how he weights system fit into his equation for judging quarterback talent. Does he value fleet footedness? Accuracy? What about footwork on his 3 and 5's?

I was hoping he was a scout and could fill us in, seeing how he knows that Weeden, Tannehill and the like are all much better than Cousins...

(PS: I had Cousins rated below them, too. Yet I don't claim to know everything and scoff at a professional front office. There's a reason they chose Cousins. And the fact that he's operating off of a rumor that Shanahan had him as the third rated QB on the board gives me pause. He must be a scout.)

What really irritates me the most is teams like the Steelers, Giants, Patriots etc are widely hailed as being smart drafters b/c they ignore needs for the most part and just grab the best player available. Isn't that what the Redskins did here?

Didn't the Steelers just draft for need this year? 2 OL, 1 DL and LB with their first 4 picks And the Steelers are now one of, if not the oldest team in the league along with being against the salary cap. They have their work cut out for them and I'd love to see their fans, along with Patriot fans suffer for 10 years with crappy teams.

Didn't the Patriots just draft for need with the worst SB defense ever? Need a pass rusher, check. Need a LBer. check. In fact, not only did they take 6 defensive players with their 7 picks, their drafts have been atrocious for the last 5 years.

Giants need RB depth. Draft Wilson. Check. Injuries in the secondary and tight end. Draft each. Check. Lose Manningham. Draft Randle. Check. O-Line getting old. Draft O-Line. Check

There is such a falicy about some teams and the BPA thing. I think if you really analyze the draft, most teams draft with a combination of BPA and need. Cousins was a rare, "this guy is still on the board?" situation that you can't pass up.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2012 at 09:30 AM ----------

I but ultimately, people get too caught up in the "that draft pick could've been something else", much like people complained when we took two running backs last season.

Particularly, I remember people bagging on the Royster pick HARD, insisting that we had "other needs" elsewhere that would've been better served on something other than a guy like Royster, because he was a "Penn State running back" and didn't have a ton of speed. And then dude comes in and plays great and no one cares about any of that.

I'll admit that I bagged on both the Royster AND Paul picks after we took Helu and Hankerson. Good thing the FO knows more than me. Not only did we "need" Royster at the end of the season, Paul was our best special teams player and STs MVP in my eyes. Two GREAT picks by Shanallen and I'm enjoying my crow. It's great with Fava Beans and Chianti.

Didn't the Steelers just draft for need this year? 2 OL, 1 DL and LB with their first 4 picks And the Steelers are now one of, if not the oldest team in the league along with being against the salary cap. They have their work cut out for them and I'd love to see their fans, along with Patriot fans suffer for 10 years with crappy teams.

Didn't the Patriots just draft for need with the worst SB defense ever? Need a pass rusher, check. Need a LBer. check. In fact, not only did they take 6 defensive players with their 7 picks, their drafts have been atrocious for the last 5 years.

Giants need RB depth. Draft Wilson. Check. Injuries in the secondary and tight end. Draft each. Check. Lose Manningham. Draft Randle. Check. O-Line getting old. Draft O-Line. Check

That's why I said "widely hailed" and "for the most part." I should have added "by ESPN" to it, which would have made my point a little clearer: They are given credit for being smart drafters b/c they appear to go BPA -- even though it may or may not be true.

There is such a falicy about some teams and the BPA thing. I think if you really analyze the draft, most teams draft with a combination of BPA and need. Cousins was a rare, "this guy is still on the board?" situation that you can't pass up.

That's pretty much my exact take on it. Not to mention, maybe we can get some team, desperate for even a mediocre QB, to pony up some serious picks for him in 2 years. Given the rate QBs are going for these days, it's not unlikely that if he shows ANYTHING, some team (Raiders, Jags) will come knocking...

That can easily be argued against, though...there is the philosophy and belief that there IS no more valuable backup than the backup QB, regardless of how much he sees the field in any given season.

And as someone else has already eluded to, only 14 teams out of 32 had the same QB behind center all season.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2012 at 09:46 AM ----------

I wish people could consider looking down the road -- not in year 1 of Griffin's career, but late into year 2 or year 3. When the accumulated hits might be shelving Griffin for a couple of games. Do you want an 34 year old Grossman, or the waiver-cuts of that season, to step in to back up Griffin, assuming that the Skins are in a drive to make the playoffs? Or maybe a scheme savvy backup that you've been training for 2.5 years?

So maybe the Skins decide take someone with NFL talent, and try to groom him as a decent backup? Or out of concern for Griffin's sensitivities, rely on some waiver-wire, journeyman QB picking up enough of the Skins offense to run the team?

I think Griffin already knows that the Skins are committed to his succeeding as the starting QB of the Washington Redskins. And I suspect he's emotionally secure enough to handle that his backup is a young QB as well. From Shanahan's messaging, it's clear to all, that Cousins is the backup.

Great post Wyvern. Too many people looking at this year only and not down the road.

I think there is more pressure on Cousins. They guy was supposed to be a 2nd round pick, dropped to the 4th and now has to compete for a backup spot when he was supposed to be drafted as a starter.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2012 at 09:47 AM ----------

That's why I said "widely hailed" and "for the most part." I should have added "by ESPN" to it, which would have made my point a little clearer: They are given credit for being smart drafters b/c they appear to go BPA -- even though it may or may not be true.

That's pretty much my exact take on it. Not to mention, maybe we can get some team, desperate for even a mediocre QB, to pony up some serious picks for him in 2 years. Given the rate QBs are going for these days, it's not unlikely that if he shows ANYTHING, some team (Raiders, Jags) will come knocking...

Cool. I think I misinterpreted your post about the Stillers, VaGiants and Cheaters.

Isn't the Cousins pick insurance like a Vegas blackjack player putting a chip on the insurance line, knowing its a bad bet, but needing the extra protection in case things went bad? Would every one feel better if the pick wasn't Cousins, (a steal) but some other less competent QB pick? Doesn't the defense stand to gain with the Cousins pick, since the backup plays the opposing QB and a good QB will stress the defense.

If RG3 feels pressure from a fourth round pick when we used 3 firsts and a second on him:

he's not nearly as smart or as competitive as we all hope and believe he is.

That might hold some truth if this wasn't Washington DC. Pressure will start RGIII very first preseason game

---------- Post added May-2nd-2012 at 12:41 PM ----------

Skip Bayless is a freaking idiot for even bringing this up in the national spotlight.

Drafting Cousins was a great move and ensures that we have depth at the most important position on the field.

I actually agree with Skip. Based on pure FACTS he makes alot of sense. All Skip is saying that this fanbase is way too fickle for this situation. That pressure will start if KC plays well in preseason. If you don't understand that then you must been living under a rock for the last 10 years or so. Redskins fans can't handle this. Were have embraced the Losing syndrome. We have embraced the losing culture. Trust me this will happen unless, RGIII is playing "lights out", and KC play is just so so. Then infact common sense will say that there's no competition, but If RGIII has a bit of a learning curve and Kurt is that unsung bench warming hero then Skip's words will ring to be true. Trust me, it's a fact. We do it every year. Hell people were just yelling for Torrain and for the rookie Royster to be cut on here on ES. There are multiple threads to support my truth. I mean through all of the Betts vs Portis, CP26 vs Torrain, Beck vs Grossman, Mcnabb vs Rex, Rakpo vs Kerrigan,ect. The list can go on and on bruh. This is what Skins fans love to do. This is not even my opinion, I just given you FACTS. There are threads that you can pull up on everything I've just said. Some People just can't handle the truth SMH

Competition is always good. I hope RG3 does feel a little pressure, so he never ever gets ****y or suffer from Mark Sanchez syndrome. I like to think that Cousins will push RG3 to get better, and RG3 will push Cousins to get better. Both are good scenarios for the Redskins.

...That pressure will start if KC plays well in preseason. If you don't understand that then you must been living under a Rock for the last 10 years or so...
I agree with you point, but for me, I'm done reading into preseason for QB play. Beck and Grossman looked like probowlers last preseason only to be pathetic during the regular season.

Kirk Cousins will also be going up against 2nd or more likely 3rd string guys. If he looks good, one would hope people had enough perspective to realize he was playing well against guys who probably won't be in the league after the 4th preseason game.

What we're doing is confusing the small but vocal minority of boneheads who will want Cousins to play because he played decent against back-ups in a preseason game with a loud majority. Fact is, unless RG3 looks like Blaine Gabbert, I think we'll give RG3 more than few opportunities to impress us. Even if he just plays halfway decent and doesn't turn the ball over, we might look like a better football team.

Kirk Cousins will also be going up against 2nd or more likely 3rd string guys. If he looks good, one would hope people had enough perspective to realize he was playing well against guys who probably won't be in the league after the 4th preseason game.

What we're doing is confusing the small but vocal minority of boneheads who will want Cousins to play because he played decent against back-ups in a preseason game with a loud majority. Fact is, unless RG3 looks like Blaine Gabbert, I think we'll give RG3 more than few opportunities to impress us. Even if he just plays halfway decent and doesn't turn the ball over, we might look like a better football team.

I certainly hope so dawg, but I never seen that from the Skins fans before. We love the backup. I think right now it's just too early for Fans to have the real feel on how it's going to be once the emotion sets in, but right after the preseason or regular season losses start to kick in this fanbase will go into panic mode.The losing mentality will start in our heads. People will actually start to believe in all the negative, hating , things that other fans that hate on the Skins are saying. RgIII is "overatted", "Kirk is y'all best Qb" If yall want to win y'all betta put that other boy in the game" ect. The threads will start, the media will minipulate off of the fans emotions. 106.7 the fan will start off every freaking tool bag of a show with " RGIII or Captin Kirk who you taking DC" type of pointless shows that fuel the losing mentality. Our best bet in order for this thing to work out is that RGIII just comes out on fire where there isn't any shadow of a doubt that He's our man. I think he will IMO. If this happens MS will look like a genuis and then this pick will come out to be one of the greatest steals in NFL history IMO.

I've never seen a more successful troll baiting than this thread. 629+ victims of a troll topic. Cant wait until the season starts.

Here's the thing though. There are many in the national media that are portraying this as a legitimate topic for concern. This thread was in my own way made to counter that. If you don't believe that several persons in the media browse this website, you just haven't been paying enough attention.

In a non-scientific way, we have sent them a strong message.

How can an argument led by a confirmed Cowboys homer last for 18 pages...?

---------- Post added May-2nd-2012 at 02:19 PM ----------

I've never seen a more successful troll baiting than this thread. 629+ victims of a troll topic. Cant wait until the season starts.

35918k.jpg

Here's the thing though. There are many in the national media that are portraying this as a legitimate topic for concern. This thread was in my own way made to counter that. If you don't believe that several persons in the media browse this website, you just haven't been paying enough attention.

In a non-scientific way, we have sent them a strong message.

Many in the media purposely troll and create troll topics because they actually get paid for it. The message we send them is if they want to get a rise out of us, this is the way to do it.

If Cousins was the best player available at that pick then you take him. Only way you wouldn't is if there was another player in a position of need that was rated closely or slightly less. Otherwise if it's a big dropoff you take the BPA. Without knowing how the others available were graded by the Redskins we can't really judge it. Only time will tell.

Kill this thread with hot fire...good lord. So pointless.

I have a solution for you...why not just stop posting in it if it's so pointless. Every time you post the thread jumps back up to the top of the page. If you want it to die, stop contributing to keeping it around.

Not a sermon, just a thought. :)

Archived