Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe that drafting Cousins has placed excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't know; whatever pressure Painkiller was refering to in the poll question

The poll question is so obviously loaded that its nearly meaningless.

And at the end of the day its an extremeskins poll, there were polls that said that Colt Brennan shoulda been the starting QB.

I was referring to what Skip Bayless referred to in his tirades yesterday and today. Those were his words. The poll question is fine. I even left open some wiggle room in the discussion and the third option was obviously for people who couldn't get on board with bloth excessive and unnecesary. Are you really going to try to say that the poll results mean something different then what they clearly show? Clearly the overwhelming majority don't see an issue here.

As much as I love RG3, you can't love a player who can't earn their position or shys away from competition. It's a competitive sport. We don't need to baby the 2nd overall pick in the draft. Too much discussion over this over-hyped issue.

I was referring to what Skip Bayless referred to in his tirades yesterday and today. Those were his words. The poll question is fine. I even left open some wiggle room in the discussion and the third option was obviously for people who couldn't get on board with bloth excessive and unnecesary.
I don't watch First Take, I don't care to know what Skip Bayless said.

I was responding to the questions from the OP.

Are you really going to try to say that the poll results mean something different then what they clearly show? Clearly the overwhelming majority don't see an issue here.
You guys really struggle with accepting what people actually type.

I said what I intended in my last post.

If I wanted to make say the poll results mean something different I would have said that.

No. Period! The media is trying to blow this out of the water ...

We needed QBs for 2 decades. And, hopefully, we have 2 to last us for a decade. RG III knows he is the Franchise QB, and how much we have invested in him.

This thread and poll are apparently based on some media drivel and not your actual questions you wanted honest responses too.

But, now that I know the genesis of the questions/thread its peace out time-

But let me answer the question implied in the OP/poll:

Do I think Griffin will be negatively effected by the pressure from the FO drafting Cousins?

And the answer is no.

Griff is a stud bro, and I'm sure like most great athletes he already puts an immense amount of pressure on himself to perform at high level.

The answer is right here:

later skaters-

by preseason fans will be split between the two QB's. Hell if RGIII doesn't have an interceptionless preseason fans will start multiple trade RGIII threads.This fanbase is way too fickle to have two good players on the same team, playing the same position. That's what we fans here in DC like to do. Compare our own players Smfh

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/05/01/a-look-at-what-the-redskins-drafting-qb-kirk-cousins-means-for-coach-mike-shanahan/?module=HP11_content_stream

One of the NFL draft’s most interesting decisions came when the Redskins drafted Michigan St. QB Kirk Cousins in the fourth round. It led to some serious debate (considering they picked their franchise in Robert Griffin III in the first round) and lots of criticism.

I thought all that was pretty stupid. If Griffin feels intimidated by a lowly fourth-round pick, then he’s not the right guy, anyway. And sure, the Redskins have plenty of holes to fill.

Click link for the rest

by preseason fans will be split between the two QB's. Hell if RGIII doesn't have an interceptionless preseason fans will start multiple trade RGIII threads.This fanbase is way too fickle to have two good players on the same team, playing the same position. That's what we fans here in DC like to do. Compare our own players Smfh

Fans are stupid. Mike knows that. Mike also doesn't give a **** what the **** the fans say, or really want they want.

Did competition affect him in college? The year he was recruited, they signed two other QBs. 2 more the following year. Did that affect him? Did having backups cause him to not play well? Did it cause him unnecessary pressure? I think he did just fine in college. I expect him to do fine in the pros.

But if Cousins doesn't help us this year because Rex is the better back-up then we used a valueable 4th round pick this year to address a future problem.

In essence it was a drafting for a need, albiet a future need.

---------- Post added May-1st-2012 at 05:29 PM ----------

I tend to look at this a little differently. You see adding Cousins as addressing a future need, while I see as addressing a immediate need. We need someone other than Rex as a backup and the sooner the better. Cousins had a 2nd round grade by our scouts and the sooner we get a really viable back up, the sooner we dont have to deal with Rex. If we wait till next year, we're still a year out from having someone else as the backup. And with not haveing a 1st round pick for the next couple of years, we'd better get someone in here now while we have some picks. If we wait till nex year, the guy is going to be hopefully ready 2 years from now. Two more years with Rex is NOT something I want to have to deal with. Or, do we instead do like we have been doing for years, spending a 6th or 7th rounder on a QB? That hasnt really worked for us, Brennan, Daniels and Palmer (just the recent ones) never made the squad and our back QB situation has as a result...... been horrid. I'm glad we took him, it wont be long before I can get rid of this rediculous signature that I've had over the last couple years.

I absolutely do not like the Cousin's pick. And I agree that if RG3 is bothered by us picking a QB in the fourth round, then he's not the QB we thought we were getting and he'll bust anyways.

*(I don't think RG3's bothered. And I think for about a league 50% hit rate for drafting at his position, with Shanny picking, our odds are better that RG3 isn't a bust)

edit: I think the fans are going to go crazy in a bad way when they see RG3 is still human and will make plenty of mistakes, even if he turns out to be HOF. I shudder at the thought of him having less than a Cam Newton rookie season.

I don't really even see him competing for the back-up spot.

Outside of Tyrod Taylor last year I cannot recall a rookie QB winning the back-up. (excluding rookies waiting to be the starter e.g. Freeman, Cutler, Eli etc)

Kurt Warner did (and end up winning the SB the same season). Gus Frerotte did and ended up replacing the #3 pick. Tom Brady did too and won the SB the next year.

19 trolls on this thread and 15 over-analyzers.

If there are any fans out there clamoring for Cousins at any point in the season, barring a consistent Jamarcus Leaf performance from RG3, we need to give up our "intelligent football fan" card immediately. The fringe fans who are entertaining the idea of a controversy or unnecessary pressure on Griffin need to call in on the Lavar n' Dukes show and fill some air time for those doofuses. They would genuinely love you.

Man, I'm getting bitter about this whole debacle. Why is it that BPA is a brilliant approach for almost all other teams while it is a national fiasco for the Skins? How about we talk about the real jokes of the draft, like the JAGS TAKING A PUNTER IN THE 3RD ROUND!

I wish people could consider looking down the road -- not in year 1 of Griffin's career, but late into year 2 or year 3. When the accumulated hits might be shelving Griffin for a couple of games. Do you want an 34 year old Grossman, or the waiver-cuts of that season, to step in to back up Griffin, assuming that the Skins are in a drive to make the playoffs? Or maybe a scheme savvy backup that you've been training for 2.5 years?

So maybe the Skins decide take someone with NFL talent, and try to groom him as a decent backup? Or out of concern for Griffin's sensitivities, rely on some waiver-wire, journeyman QB picking up enough of the Skins offense to run the team?

I think Griffin already knows that the Skins are committed to his succeeding as the starting QB of the Washington Redskins. And I suspect he's emotionally secure enough to handle that his backup is a young QB as well. From Shanahan's messaging, it's clear to all, that Cousins is the backup.

19 trolls on this thread and 15 over-analyzers.

If there are any fans out there clamoring for Cousins at any point in the season, barring a consistent Jamarcus Leaf performance from RG3, we need to give up our "intelligent football fan" card immediately. The fringe fans who are entertaining the idea of a controversy or unnecessary pressure on Griffin need to call in on the Lavar n' Dukes show and fill some air time for those doofuses. They would genuinely love you.

Seriously. Sadly we know we have some dumb ass fans that will start booing probably the first time he has a multi INT game at home.

Archived