Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe that drafting Cousins has placed excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

There needs to be a "it will make him better button"

---------- Post added May-2nd-2012 at 05:29 PM ----------

I have a solution for you...why not just stop posting in it if it's so pointless. Every time you post the thread jumps back up to the top of the page. If you want it to die, stop contributing to keeping it around.

Not a sermon, just a thought. :)

So you wanted a thread you started to get to page 2 of the site? LMAO!

So you wanted a thread you started to get to page 2 of the site? LMAO!

I'm just telling Saqs how he can contribute in saving us all from this pointless thread, by not contributing to the pointless discussion...by adding substantially more pointless commentary.

:)

Of course it will. I don't know how he's going to handle it. Sure he was fine with being the future of our storied franchise, costing tons of picks for us to get him and he has been anointed our savior for the next 15 years, but a 4rth round, 3rd string QB is absolutely the straw that will break the camels back. I can't believe Shanny would make his future starter doubt the safety of his job, in only a matter of hours from drafting him. What an idiot.

This was a smart move for the Redskins that helps them in the long run. This is RGIII's team for at least two years or beyond depending on his performance and health. Rex Grossman is the backup and if RGIII gets hurt then Grossman comes in to take over and not Cousins. In 2013 is when Cousins becomes the backup. The only way that RGIII loses the job is by either getting hurt, stinking up the joint, or both. Cousins is just someone that will make us better at the QB position with better options than Rex Grossman and John Beck. So no he hasn't put any added pressure than there already was before the Cousins pick. RGIII knows he has to perform or else he will be gone along with Mike Shanahan.

Pressure isnt coming form Cousins the pressure is coming from Shanahan..

See the difference between homers and knowledgable fans is that knowledgable fans remember EVERYTHING! They remember Shanahan saying Campbell was a starter in this league but brought Grossman in from Houston. They remember trading high draft picks for McNabb, shipping Campbell to Oakland and then benching him after eight games for Grossman. They remember that he benched Grossman after endorsing him.They rememeber that he benched Beck after enodorsing him, and now they draft Cousins to surplant Grossman, who Kyle Shanahan described as " our best playmaker last year". Ya see it doesn't matter what shanahan says...you can't believe it. But if you look at what he does it will tell you his motives. He is always trying to figure out plan B before fully committing to plan A.He should let RG3 be the man in D.C, the man in the Locker Room, and the only QB that the media talks about in D.C. Instead all of our games will be broadcast on TV with the storyline of Kirk Cousins waiting for RG3 to get hurt or play bad.... UNNECESSARY!!!

Not to mention there were several CBs, LBs, RTs and D-linemen still on the board.

I see a bunch of fans in this thread who listen to some mediats opinions and formulate their own thoughts on what those people said. I watched it on draft day as most people in my chat room thought it was a good pick till the draft commentators started to question it about 20 minutes later.

Simply put all those other "positions of need" are currently 3 to 5 sets deep with players ready to complete. QB had Rex Grossman, soon to be cut Beck, and that other kid sitting there to back up RG3. Most people were expecting the skins to draft another QB anyways (most thought later) but heck lets draft a 6th team safety or 4th team OT instead of the most important potential backup in sports.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2012 at 03:00 AM ----------

Pressure isnt coming form Cousins the pressure is coming from Shanahan..

See the difference between homers and knowledgable fans is that knowledgable fans remember EVERYTHING! They remember Shanahan saying Campbell was a starter in this league but brought Grossman in from Houston. They remember trading high draft picks for McNabb, shipping Campbell to Oakland and then benching him after eight games for Grossman. They remember that he benched Grossman after endorsing him.They rememeber that he benched Beck after enodorsing him, and now they draft Cousins to surplant Grossman, who Kyle Shanahan described as " our best playmaker last year". Ya see it doesn't matter what shanahan says...you can't believe it. But if you look at what he does it will tell you his motives. He is always trying to figure out plan B before fully committing to plan A.He should let RG3 be the man in D.C, the man in the Locker Room, and the only QB that the media talks about in D.C. Instead all of our games will be broadcast on TV with the storyline of Kirk Cousins waiting for RG3 to get hurt or play bad.... UNNECESSARY!!!

Not to mention there were several CBs, LBs, RTs and D-linemen still on the board.

So let me get this straight.........

A. You must have forgotten how poorly those QB's played before they were benched.

B. You must have forgotten such facts as Mcnabb lied to them and that he refused to learn the offense.

C. You expect the leader to not show support for their troops before taking them into battle, regardless of how they really feel? I hope you never lead anyone anywhere.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2012 at 03:05 AM ----------

This was a smart move for the Redskins that helps them in the long run. This is RGIII's team for at least two years or beyond depending on his performance and health. Rex Grossman is the backup and if RGIII gets hurt then Grossman comes in to take over and not Cousins. In 2013 is when Cousins becomes the backup. The only way that RGIII loses the job is by either getting hurt, stinking up the joint, or both. Cousins is just someone that will make us better at the QB position with better options than Rex Grossman and John Beck. So no he hasn't put any added pressure than there already was before the Cousins pick. RGIII knows he has to perform or else he will be gone along with Mike Shanahan.

Exactly,

Cousins will be the 3rd Emergency QB this year. Next year Rex's contract will be up and he will be gone as Cousins steps into the backup role.

If we waited to draft a Qb next year as some are advocating, then that means Rex is around for yet another year. This saves us cap room next year with the second round of cap penalties. But hey we could have drafted yet another OT and had 3 on the practice squad this year instead of 2.

Did we really need to draft another QB this year? I can understand having to eventually replace Grossman, but I question the timing of this move. The way I see it, we need to use ALL of our remaining draft picks to fill the greatest needs on this team right now. RGIII can't do his job well without the right personnel of players around him. We practically "mortgaged the farm" to get RGIII, and then Shanahan decides to draft another QB almost immediately afterwards? Hmmm. His claim was that Cousins would bring more depth to the team. Well, I don't know if the QB position is the place where this team needed any more depth right now. I'm sorry, but I'm having a tough time trusting Shanahan's reasoning, especially with the QB position. Let's see. How many QBs have come and gone in the short time that Shanahan has been here? I almost can't count them on just one hand. Once upon a time, our wonderful head coach said, "I stake my reputation" on Grossman and Beck. If anybody is facing pressure right now, it's Shanahan. This is his last chance. If RGIII is a bust, then Shanahan will more than likely be gone, and then we'll have to start all over again with a new coaching staff. Sound familiar? I don't want to believe any more than the rest of you that RGIII will be a bust, like Heath Shuler was in 1994. By 1996, it was "In Gus We Trust." How many of you remember that disaster? If not, then here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW4eXFFxn40&list=FLfn8FosVqrsfzVsNVCv6ILA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

The biggest thing that worries me is all of the uncertainties. Not all college athletes, Heisman trophy or not, make a successful transition into the pros. RGIII also had an ACL injury in 2009, so there have been some concerns about his durability. When you think about Shanahan's track record with QBs, forgive me for not having more faith. All we can do is hope for the best. I will say this. If the RGIII era fails, then it will be the biggest embarrassment to this organization than all of the others of the Snyder era.....combined. There's nothing wrong with being optimistic, but I think we also need to stay realistic about what might or might not happen.

In the NFL today you need two good Qb's. It would rare to see a starting QB not to miss games over a span of four years. This way we are set for at least that long and who knows after 2 or 3 years it might be Griffin that is trade bait. It was a great pick getting Cousins.

Did we really need to draft another QB this year? I can understand having to eventually replace Grossman, but I question the timing of this move. The way I see it, we need to use ALL of our remaining draft picks to fill the greatest needs on this team right now. RGIII can't do his job well without the right personnel of players around him. We practically "mortgaged the farm" to get RGIII, and then Shanahan decides to draft another QB almost immediately afterwards? Hmmm. His claim was that Cousins would bring more depth to the team. Well, I don't know if the QB position is the place where this team needed any more depth right now. I'm sorry, but I'm having a tough time trusting Shanahan's reasoning, especially with the QB position. Let's see. How many QBs have come and gone in the short time that Shanahan has been here? I almost can't count them on just one hand. Once upon a time, our wonderful head coach said, "I stake my reputation" on Grossman and Beck. If anybody is facing pressure right now, it's Shanahan. This is his last chance. If RGIII is a bust, then Shanahan will more than likely be gone, and then we'll have to start all over again with a new coaching staff. Sound familiar? I don't want to believe any more than the rest of you that RGIII will be a bust, like Heath Shuler was in 1994. By 1996, it was "In Gus We Trust." How many of you remember that disaster? If not, then here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW4eXFFxn40&list=FLfn8FosVqrsfzVsNVCv6ILA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

The biggest thing that worries me is all of the uncertainties. Not all college athletes, Heisman trophy or not, make a successful transition into the pros. RGIII also had an ACL injury in 2009, so there have been some concerns about his durability. When you think about Shanahan's track record with QBs, forgive me for not having more faith. All we can do is hope for the best. I will say this. If the RGIII era fails, then it will be the biggest embarrassment to this organization than all of the others of the Snyder era.....combined. There's nothing wrong with being optimistic, but I think we also need to stay realistic about what might or might not happen.

Geez, with all this negativity, you may as well go find another hobby. You know what, sometimes in life (like the past 20 years with the Redskins) you get burned. It's your ability to lick your wounds and come out fighting again that makes the difference. There really is no point in living in the past. Too many fans want to continue to piss and moan about the past 20 years. Yes, it sucked. Past tense. The front office, particularly Mike and Bruce, want to go forward with this team and so do I. Who gives a **** about Shuler and Gus. Both are retired and have ZERO to do with 2012. Neither does Sonny and Billy or Jay and Doug. Our fans need to man up and look forward to this year. Not 1993.

Geez, with all this negativity, you may as well go find another hobby. You know what, sometimes in life (like the past 20 years with the Redskins) you get burned. It's your ability to lick your wounds and come out fighting again that makes the difference. There really is no point in living in the past. Too many fans want to continue to piss and moan about the past 20 years. Yes, it sucked. Past tense. The front office, particularly Mike and Bruce, want to go forward with this team and so do I. Who gives a **** about Shuler and Gus. Both are retired and have ZERO to do with 2012. Neither does Sonny and Billy or Jay and Doug. Our fans need to man up and look forward to this year. Not 1993.

:applause:

Man, we just don't hear that POV expressed enough, we are moving ahead and looking over your shoulder through old tears isn't part of the plan.

Cousins will be the 3rd Emergency QB this year. Next year Rex's contract will be up and he will be gone as Cousins steps into the backup role.

If we waited to draft a Qb next year as some are advocating, then that means Rex is around for yet another year. This saves us cap room next year with the second round of cap penalties. But hey we could have drafted yet another OT and had 3 on the practice squad this year instead of 2.

To add to this, it could be the FO is looking ahead and recognizing that whoever they would draft for this role next year won't be as highly rated a player at such a bargain price.

Cousins will get a lot of preseason work, and then will probably be inactive all 16 games.

Some folks are satisfied with saying "we can get a vet backup", and they don't look at who these vet backups are. This is how you end up with the Rex Grossmans and Matt Leinarts of the world on your team. Unfortunately, the last 12 years have taught a generation of fans to live in the moment, that planning for the future is not important.

~Bang

My first post on ES! Here goes...

I'm not quite following the logic of the pressure on RG3. Is it that RG3 must win in the preseason or else Cousins will start? Is it that RG3 must win immediately in the regular season or Cousins will beat out Rex and take RG3's spot? Or is it just that if RG3 doesn't win immediately, the majority of the Skins fans will be calling for Cousins? I think the first two scenarios are ridiculous. And if by chance the last scenario happened, it would be less about Cousins, and more about giving anyone else a shot. Any player, coach, staff, or anyone in the front office, with partial exception of the owner, has the pressure of being replaced at some point if they don't perform well. So it's obvious that RG3 has pressure, but what has changed since drafting Kirk Cousins?

Now if we had drafted Cousins to seriously compete for the starting position this year, then that would change everything. But we clearly didn't. As a matter of fact, no team did. The fact that he wasn't even drafted until the fourth round tells me that none of the 32 NFL teams were expecting him to compete for the starting QB position on their team. So what does it matter to RG3 that we drafted him?

Post of the millenium. Nice job

You know what, sometimes in life (like the past 20 years with the Redskins) you get burned. It's your ability to lick your wounds and come out fighting again that makes the difference. There really is no point in living in the past.

Well said. That's good advice in general. I do want to believe that this team will finally begin seeing better days starting in 2012.

So you are saying that it is okay to draft backup CBs, LBs, RTs and D-linemen with a fourth round pick but not a backup QB, right?

So you are saying that it is okay to draft backup CBs, LBs, RTs and D-linemen with a fourth round pick but not a backup QB, right?

After signing several CBs, LBs, OL in free agency and drafting 3 DL last year.

We have needs!

We have a need for fans to notice when needs are addressed.

~Bang

Archived