Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe that drafting Cousins has placed excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

No it doesn't at all... The Cousins pic says two things:

1. Rex is on a 1 year deal and they will NOT resign him after the season.

2. Once Rex is gone they want to make sure that they have a backup who already knows the system, and is on the cheap side... (Not the $10 mill contract that Orton signed with Dallas)...

I mean...we're missing a first round draft pick in next year's draft for the precise reason that we needed to draft our franchise quarterback. Just eyeballing the class of quarterbacks who could come out next year, it looks A LOT worse. Basically, no one we could get in 2013 is going to be better than Cousins. And given that we don't have a first round pick, wouldn't next year's draft picks be better spent on surrounding RG3 with all the talent those picks can buy? This year, we had the "luxury" of having a solid quarterback prospect fall right into our lap, which allows us to spend all our picks next year drafting more pieces and more weapons.

And as for the "we could've gotten starters"...first, your chance of getting starters after the 4th round is something like, 25%. But nearly every position that keeps getting bought up, we either drafted people at, or signed people in free agency.

LB? We drafted Keenan Robinson, plus resigned London, plus added Kehl and Goff, and we've got Riley, and Renzo is our swiss army knife. We've got depth at both the outside linebacker positions with Rak, Kerrigan, Rob Jackson and Markus White.

OL? We drafted 3, in addition to resigning Kory, resigning Will, signing James Lee....we kind of actually have depth there.

Safety? This class of safeties sucked. Once Brandon Taylor was off the board it was game over, man, game over. Every other safety was a raw guy who wasn't going to make much more of impact than Cousins will, and the same goes for corner, once guys like Casey Heyward and Dwight Bentley were gone.

I commend our front office for following their board and not stretching for a dude that couldn't contribute. Every position people complaining about, we either hit through the draft or we signed in free agency. So why does this Cousins pick, regardless of the round, catch so much flack?

This is SO media-driven. Please stop listening to those blow-hards. You don't give up all the picks we did to land RGIII, to have a QB controversey based off of another QB selected in Round 4. Think about it...Kirk Cousins vs. RGIII. You need a quality back-up in this league and HOPEFULLY Cousins becomes that man.

Absolutely not, and like the poster above me, is almost completely media-driven.

There is a reason we drafted RGIII, to be the god damn starter. Is it so outlandish to say we can't simultaneously groom a suitable backup? I think not.

Drafting him wasn't unnecessary.
I'm talking about the here and now and at present drafting Cousin was not neccessary because we already have a back-up QB for this year.
You'd rather draft a raw rookie to backup RG3 next year, most likely in the absence of Rex? If RG3 goes down, we throw the rook to the wolves? Or would you rather have a guy with a year in the system as our #2 in 2013? Answer that question on its face
Umm you're probably talking to the guy that detests Rex the most.

If Cousins is really on point he can win the back-up spot as rookie, Tyrod Taylor won the back-up job to Flacco as rookie.

In fact I'm hoping Cousins is good enough to pull a Tyrod Taylor and make Grossman an afterthought.

Seriously, whre's the uproar over that. Dude got all that money to be a backup, yet we're getting crucified over this.

Because Dallas are a top notch NFL franchise, with one of the best FOs in the league, who does things the right way. Which makes them SB contenders every season..

stupid-idiots-73178520439.jpeg

I have been thinking the same thing, regardless of who the back-up is, if RG3 struggles, there will be a call to bring on the back-up. If its Grossman, it will be " at least he won some games for us...he has the experience" etc etc, if Cousins is the back-up, there is nothing to say to support puttin him or atleast there isnt much to say other than "give him a chance" RG3 would have to be real bad to put an unproven 4th round pick in....So I agree, less pressure.

AND why isnt the football media giving the other teams heat for passing on him thru 4 rounds.

I honestly believe it REDUCES the pressure on RG3. Hear me out.

Imagine that you are at a college party. Now, imagine that you are a 16 year old at a college party, that you went to with all of your college friends. Who do you feel has the advantage at "socializing" with the other college members? Obviously your college friends.

Imagine you went to the same party, with other friends your age. You would feel much more comfortable, and probably feed off of the competition. I am of the minority, but I think the Cousins draft pick will actually EASE the transition for RG3 into the NFL. Why compete with people 10 years older than you, when you can compete with someone your own age? That would bring the best out in RG3. Maybe this is what Shanahan had in mind all along.

Umm you're probably talking to the guy that detests Rex the most.

If Cousins is really on point he can win the back-up spot as rookie, Tyrod Taylor won the back-up job to Flacco as rookie.

In fact I'm hoping Cousins is good enough to pull a Tyrod Taylor and make Grossman an afterthought.

That wasn't my question.

You were against drafting Cousins this year. Defining it is unneccessary.

My question is: Would you rather have a QB with a year of experience under his belt in 2013 directly backing up Griffin (regardless of his role this year) OR a fresh rookie being Griffin's direct backup?

Yes, I'm absolutely 100% positive a guy with a nationally recognized nickname, who's won the Heisman and led his college to more football glory than they've ever known, who was drafted with 3 first round picks and a second, has been meeting with his coaches since his pro day, has the world in the palm of his hand, is shaking in his boots and being kept up at night because Kirt ******* COUSINS is sitting on the bench and will have to prove he's a better investment than 66 other guys before he makes the team.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what Griffin is thinking. He's just terrified.

Get real people, Kirk Cousins has nothing to do with Robert Griffin and EVERYTHING to do with Rex Grossman at backup. A pro-ready QB was brought in so that the team doesn't have to depend on Rex sooner rather than later.

I dont think its excessive pressure, but its unecessary pressure.

This was a luxury pick that the Skins simply could not afford, given the glaring holes at RT, S & CB.

I would rather have a solid Tackle who could play both RT or LT (in case Trent starts puffing again).... RG3 has to be protected and I am not sure the oline in place is up to the task at the moment.

The Skins have now spent 5 picks in the next three years on the QB position: 4 to draft RG3 and 1 for Cousins.

That wasn't my question.

You were against drafting Cousins this year. Defining it is unneccessary.

My question is: Would you rather have a QB with a year of experience under his belt in 2013 directly backing up Griffin (regardless of his role this year) OR a fresh rookie being Griffin's direct backup?

The former. But that could of been just as easily achieved with the same back-up/ project in a later round.

This is destined to run and run and run and run and run and run and run .......

Hail.

With or without Cousins, the pressure is already on Griff, an extreme amount and most believe he can handle it.

Competition, competition, competition.

There is no real competition with a lame duck Rex, who says he would like to tutor (for better or worse) a young QB.

I actually think that Griff will enjoy the camaraderie he'll have with Cousins, both in the same boat, rookies with high expectations relative to their given talents.

There should be competition between the two rookies, a brotherhood of learning. Two smart guys in the classroom comparing notes, having at it on the practice field, one-upmanship, the whole caboodle.

Weirdness could happen if ego’s get out of control but if the judgment that both are smart and character guys is valid then that shouldn’t be a problem.

In the end, Griff’s given talents should shine through and it’ll be for the better with Cousins pushing it along the way.

One thing I actually agreed with Stephen A. Smith on yesterday, was when he said that if RG3 is as good as we say his is, then he shouldn't be affected by the presence of Cousins on the roster. And I think he is that good.

Drafting Cousins in the 4th and releasing John Beck was a great move to upgrade the depth of the QB position, nothing more, nothing less.

I dont think its excessive pressure, but its unecessary pressure.

I don't agree. I think no matter when you do it, bringing in another free agent or draft pick for depth at the QB position was necessary. I think over the long-term this will be the best move. Two experienced guys brought in the same year, who have learned the system together.

Some people have tried to draw comparisons to Shuler and Frerotte. I remember those times well, and the situation was completely different. Different management, different era, different coach, different front office. Different expectations even, the team was just coming off it's most successful period ever.

With or without Cousins, the pressure is already on Griff, an extreme amount and most believe he can handle it.

Competition, competition, competition.

There is no real competition with a lame duck Rex, who says he would like to tutor (for better or worse) a young QB.

I actually think that Griff will enjoy the camaraderie he'll have with Cousins, both in the same boat, rookies with high expectations relative to their given talents.

There should be competition between the two rookies, a brotherhood of learning. Two smart guys in the classroom comparing notes, having at it on the practice field, one-upmanship, the whole caboodle.

Weirdness could happen if ego’s get out of control but if the judgment that both are smart and character guys is valid then that shouldn’t be a problem.

In the end, Griff’s given talents should shine through and it’ll be for the better with Cousins pushing it along the way.

Good post, and I think you're right on this. We got two of the highest character guys in the entire draft, and they both happen to play quarterback, the position where you need natural leaders. This is a good situation for a franchise to be in.

The former. But that could of been just as easily achieved with the same back-up/ project in a later round.

Not if Mike Shanahan decided that no other quarterback was worthy of a selection, or fit his system as well as Cousins.

Archived