Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe that drafting Cousins has placed excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think it speaks volumes when you state the team should have went BPA and then start disqualifying positions. That's some absurd, twisted logic right there.

No kidding. You can draft the best player available, as long as he's not a QB...because the rules say you can only draft one....and we can't break the rules now can we.

No way. RG3 has elite talent. Cousins is a nice security blanket, who is good. That all.

it seems that some in the media who have been trumpeting Luck and Griffin as being far and away the best two QB prospects in this draft...now suddenly feel that Griffin is threatened by a guy nobody projected to be starting material for the next couple of seasons in the NFL...if EVER.

A lot of what gets lost in this whole thing is that we weren't targeting another quarterback. He just fell to us and was the best player available on our board.

If Nick Foles or Brock Osweiler "falls to us", we don't draft them. And it was quite shocking to me that Denver and Philly went with Osweiler and Foles over Cousins. Osweiler is 6'7", and I don't see the big arm on him everyone else sees. He's just a big kid who has crappy mechanics. It's like picking Curtis Painter in the second round, only bigger and without the college production (which says a whole lot, doesn't it?). Nick Foles is another guy with a "theoretical big arm", but his upper half is completely disconnected from his lower half. He's got two left feet, is skitish in the pocket and has really inconsistent mechanics. Even Seattle talking Russell Wilson over Cousins (and I like Wilson) was a shock to me.

Cousins was clearly the next best guy on the board after Luck, RGIII, Tannehill and Weeden all went off the board. And the teams that needed quarterbacks or wanted quarterbacks really reached for guys with "potential" over a guy like Cousins, which was dumb. Denver is now staring down a situation where, if Peyton gets injured, they have Caleb Hanie...and Brock Osweiler as back-ups.

...Elway may be one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, but great evaluator of quarterback talent...let's just say Mike didn't rub off on him.

But yeah, if Cousins isn't there in the fourth round, we don't make that pick. We reached a point where the value and the future need for a quarterback was to good to pass up, so we took him.

I don't know. I want to say no but Rex and Beck happened. I don't know what Kyle and Mike will do with QBs... They're going through them like Gruden used to. I wouldn't say yes at this point but with this team I prefer a wait and see approach.

But yeah, if Cousins isn't there in the fourth round, we don't make that pick. We reached a point where the value and the future need for a quarterback was too good to pass up, so we took him.

:applause: :applause: :applause: Great post. I have to say your posts are probably the ones I most consistently agree with. You have common sense, and seem to get it.

I don't know. I want to say no but Rex and Beck happened. I don't know what Kyle and Mike will do with QBs... They're going through them like Gruden used to. I wouldn't say yes at this point but with this team I prefer a wait and see approach.

I think this is different.

I still don't think Mike really knew that McNabb was as bad as he ended up being. As for Rex and Beck, they were kind of quarterbacks by attrition---the two guys we appeared to be targeting and liked, Locker and Dalton, both were off the board before we could draft them and we didn't love them quite enough to trade enough to get them, like we tried to for Bradford and did with RG3.

Gruden was just ill-equpped to deal with rookie quarterbacks and preferred to have established veterans. The problem with that being that, when you go with established vets, they've got a really small shelf life. The only guy Gruden ever really "developed" was Chris Simms, and injuries did him in.

Mike's "problem" is that when he sees a quarterback that he thinks can help him win, he's willing to do whatever it takes to get them, regardless of the consequences. And if that guy doesn't really exist, he searches for value and is willing to utilize what he has; it's the different between a guy like Brian Griese, and a guy like Cutler.

Gruden preferred season vets over young rooks, and rolled with the old guys, who could never really grow with the team and take the Bucs to the next level, and never seemed interested in drafting a franchise guy (see: skipping over Aaron Rodgers, Something that plagues the West Coast Offense, Bill Walsh coaching tree guys (the older guys, like Mike, Holmgren, Reid, even Gruden) sometimes is that they think they can take pretty much any quarterback and turn them into a starter if they learn the system. I think after the Griese years, and then the falling out with Plummer, Mike finally realized the best way to win is to develop and win with your own quarterback for the long term and the long haul.

Gruden prefers veterans and lower round guys and that's pretty much the way he's going to always be, hence why we'll probably never see him coach again unless he can go somewhere that has all the pieces in place and he can roll in and do what he did in Tampa Bay.

No way. We gave up the picks and drafted Griffin III as our franchise QB. Some of these talking heads have said "the minute RG3 has a bad stretch the fans will be calling for Cousins." That is complete bull****. The city has embraced RG3 and we know the path we are on. RG3 was most likely notified and reassured before this pick was announced.

Cousins is good young depth and insurance and he, if anything, is putting pressure on the other RG3. Cousins is a good character guy, good QB, and as we have all said before has the potential to be someone we can trade for picks down the road. If we don't then he becomes our own Don Strock and "Mr. Reliable".

Btw, if anyone hasn't read it, here is what Gregg Rosenthal from NFL.com has to say about it all.

Criticism of Redskins' Kirk Cousins pick misplaced

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828c2383/article/criticism-of-redskins-kirk-cousins-pick-misplaced?module=HP11_content_stream

---------- Post added May-1st-2012 at 05:41 AM ----------

I don't think Snyder would let it get to that point. Mike & son would be 86'ed before this had time to to turn into a mess. Snyder knows what he potentially has in RG3 in regards to marketing, ticket sales, etc. RG3 is his chance to right the ship and he won't let anything get in the way.

Let´s be honest, the dude has just been drafted in one of the worst places when talking about pressure. It will be mega huge. We all saw the part where he entered the FedEx field at the draft party, 20.000 fans going crazy, shouting his name. A lot of people expect miracles from him.

Then don´t forget Shanahan, who puts his name on the line by investing a boat load of picks in this guy.

The media and fans have expectations that are probally way to high...but he needs to deal with that pressure every day until he wins a Super Bowl. Everyday, 24/7.

Cousins doesn't chance that.

it seems that some in the media who have been trumpeting Luck and Griffin as being far and away the best two QB prospects in this draft...now suddenly feel that Griffin is threatened by a guy nobody projected to be starting material for the next couple of seasons in the NFL...if EVER.

My point exactly!!! RG3 is an elite level talent, and as good as Cousins is he is not elite!!! He is no more of a threat to RG3 than Rex Grossman. In fact Rex grossman is why we made this pick. If you notice they only signed Rex to a 1 year deal. The writing was already on the wall. Point blank we needed a competent backup quaterback, and Cousins provides us with just that. Anyone who thinks they gave up two 1st round picks and a second for RG3 so he can sit on the bench behind Cousins is not smart!! there is no controversy RG3 is our franchise quaterback and Cousins is his backup. Even Cousins knows that!!!! No way he believes that there is a chance in hell he starts. Which is the only problem i have with the pick. Cousins deserves to go to a situation where he has an opportunity to be the starter. He can become a very good starting QB in the NFL along the same lines as Brad Johnson, but he is not a franchise quaterback.

Well, the kid was crowned the savior of this entire storied franchise over a month ago. I can't begin to imagine anything creating more pressure than that.

Spending a late round pick on a third string QB can't possibly make it any worse and in fact, if I was RG3, I'd rather have another rookie to learn with along with one vet, as opposed to 2 vets looking over my shoulder, especially with one being a failure.

Lets just say in two years, we are in the middle of a playoff run at ehh about 7-1 then Griffin gets hurt and has to miss about 4 games. Everyone could certainly come to appreciate this pick much more. Its a great insurance policy

Very simple question for the poll. Do you believe that the Redskins drafting Kirk Cousins somehow places excessive and unnecessary pressure on RG3?

If RGIII is threatened by competition, he's not gona' last two minutes in this town where the starting QB of the Washington Redskins is only slightly less talked about/ important with many than the dude in the big chair in that big White House down Pennsylvania Avenue.

NO PRESSURE, NO DIAMONDS!

NO is the answer to your I'm sure rhetorical and somewhat facetious question.

additional questions I ask for the discussion:

Do you agree with the draft pick?

Do I really have to go through my views on it again?

It was a terrible move when the pick was handed in for me. And nothing I've heard or read since trying to justify it has swayed that opinion.

IMHO, this team, right here, right now, at this stage of our rebuild had ZERO need to take a QB at a slot we could potentially of gotten major contributor. If not a starter in a position of need. Not least a guy who in all probability won't even be dressed on game days this year. No question we need QB depth, but not so high in the year we give up so much for RGIII. You want a back-up 'project?' Take one later on. Even if we're looking at trade value down the line (which won't be as high as has been mentioned by many. Aside from the fact he hopefully won't see the field outside of pre-season. he's been inconsistent through college. Talented no question. But inconsistent. And if Kolb and Cassell haven't scared teams off from giving up high picks on the basis of a game or so's body of work, I don't know what will.). BPA? So he was the BPA ..... for the future ..... in a position we hope he'll NEVER see the field in. Novel approach to BPA to be kind.

In most any other year, it's a great pick. But not this year, where this teams currently at; at the position it was made.

I honestly still don't get nor agree with that pick at this time no matter how anyone try's to justify it. At all. But regardless .....

Do you see Cousins as competing for the back-up job, or potentially competing for the starting job?

Yes to the former, in 2013 and beyond. NEVER to the latter. We have our starter for the next decade and more. NOBODY is effecting that bar him falling flat on his face which I can't imagine even if I try.

Do you believe that if RG3 struggles throughout the season, that the fan base will call for Cousins?

Yes. But unless he's got the best football brain in history and picks up the system completely in one off season, along with executing everything they ask to perfection in practice and pre-season; he's not even being activated on game day in 2012 bar injury. Let alone seeing the actual field.

Hail.

If it does it was one of the worst trades in NFL history.

You guys really have a warped sense of the value of a fourth rounder. There's a very clear pecking order here. The only thing that upsets it is if Cousins turned out to be Joe Montana or Tom Brady and if that happens every Redskins fan should be overwhelmed with joy.

Archived