Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Last time you went to Church???

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This is not a socialogial debate thread, just an honest question.

I know I haven't been in the last year, and I've been thinking about it since my mother-in-law asked me the same question. I didn't want to hurt her feeling our anything like that, and didn't make too many excuses. I told her I can feel just as close to God sitting in my car in traffic as I can in a church. The difference? There typically aren't any other people in my car except for me.

Anyway, I don't feel particularly horrible about this, but it's been starting to itch lately. Wondering if anyone else feels that way sometimes. I don't know or understand everything, and faith helps me deal with that. If I did take a Sunday off from work, it'd most likely be my grandma's church up in DC. Outside of that, I don't see myself going to service every Sunday. I couldn't even if I wanted to right now.

Weddings, funerals, and baptisms for me. Have many family members working in the industry but honestly stopped going as a kid when my parents were divorced....was a family thing back then and that changed. Nothing against goes as I said many of my family go and are Pastors/Ministers, organized religions are just not my cup of tea. I was born and raised Catholic and was baptized but never confirmed (see divorce blurb) and then instead of just giving money to the church, they required not just donations but donations via cash but had to be via printed envelopes which seemed almost an attendance tracking thing which to me is just stupid. God bless all that believe and go as I know it brings great solace and relief to the masses but I'm more of a truther in respect to the supreme being and I pray and speak to God in my own way which should be seen as as valid as going to an organized mass. IMO

There are a few times I try to speak to god. I have a spot in the middle of the woods I go to with a bible. I figure in the middle of his creations, with his words taking my meaning are the greatest version I can interpret.

---------- Post added April-24th-2012 at 12:49 AM ----------

There are a few times I try to speak to god. Usually when I have no other choice...usually when it really matters. If it's something I can possibly handle' date=' I try to handle it myself..I have a spot in the middle of the woods I go to with a bible. I figure in the middle of his creations, with his words taking my meaning are the greatest version I can interpret.[/quote']

There are a few times I try to speak to god. I have a spot in the middle of the woods I go to with a bible. I figure in the middle of his creations' date=' with his words taking my meaning are the greatest version I can interpret.

---------- Post added April-24th-2012 at 12:49 AM ----------

I feel you on the whole interpretation aspect of it. My dad explained to me a big thing about church is people coming together to try an interpret really what the Bible is trying to say. I tried reading the whole thing, but lost time after Deuteronomy (which put a bad taste in my mouth) and skipped around to eventually complete Revelations. I want to eventually finish reading Ruth because I feel its a really great story.

This is a topic that can easily get set to flame with the wrong word choice. That and a couple other things make me to this day uncomfortable about religion in general.

The last time I went to a church service ( other than weddings & funerals) Norv was our coach, Terry Allen was our leading rusher and Stephen Davis was a rookie. It was '96 :doh:

If we could find a non threatening, non-denominational church then we might go on occasion because Sunday school would probably be good for our kids.

Just this past weekend for a funeral, unfortunately. We go every so often when my wife's parents are in town since her father is a pastor and her mother works in church youth groups, but we rarely go of our own accord. The last time we tried, our daughter flipped out (after about 1/2 an hour) when we left her in the toddler nursery and we haven't been back since.

Archived