Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Last time you went to Church???

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I hadn't been in years with the exception of X-Mas eve to pacify my mom. My wife wanted me to start going, so I went here and there for a year or so. It's been about 2 years since I've been. I just don't have the passion for it. I'm Catholic, so mass to me seems so redundant anymore. I hate the pomp and circumstance of the sitting, kneeling, then sitting again. I feel like a show-pony. The prayers to me are so rehersed, I don't even think 75% of the people in there really mean them. As someone who is agnostic at this point in my life, I never really get the itch to go back.

And should weddings, funerals and bingo really count as "going to church?" I don't think so.

Pretty sure I haven't gone since the end of my sophomore year in high school, so that'd make 6 years. I was baptised and confirmed Methodist, but also spent some time drumming at a catholic church.

To be honest I don't miss it. I found most of the people associated with my church were incredibly hyprocritical, and the sermons usually made me question our church as opposed to personal comfort.

I'll probably start going again when I start a family / have kids. I am glad I had it in middle school for the values and developing my own spiritual relationship. I see no reason to think I won't want the same for my kids, and when the time comes they can make a decision for themselves if they want to keep going.

A week last Sunday, when a few of us got together to hold our own remembrance service for the 96 at St Nicks down in town. (We'd been in touch with the Rector of Liverpool for some time over opening a church up out of hours, which he kindly did with St Nicholas. Sadly, with all the Titanic celebrations, the church couldn't spare any members of the clergy. But for a few lads 'winging it', we did a far more respectful and dignified service than the circus side show the service at the ground has become.).

I almost wrote a piece on here about how the 15th of April is my most feared/ hated day of the year, but even 23 years on I was finding it too hard to put into words, so I gave up and left it.

As for regular church attendance, Easter was my last visit. I've become a lot better and more regular visitor over the last few years after I happily rediscovered a relationship with God, but still not as regular as I probably should be.

Hail.

Being a Catholic school kid- I am partial to Catholic masses but haven't been since 8th grade

Dating an Episopalian- I go when she goes (which due to her work schedule hasn't been recently)

Being best friends with a Greek Orthodox kid- 1993 Easter Mass

Being Muslim- Was at the Mosque a month ago for Friday prayers

A week last Sunday, when a few of us got together to hold our own remembrance service for the 96 at St Nicks down in town. (We'd been in touch with the Rector of Liverpool for some time over opening a church up out of hours, which he kindly did with St Nicholas. Sadly, with all the Titanic celebrations, the church couldn't spare any members of the clergy. But for a few lads 'winging it', we did a far more respectful and dignified service than the circus side show the service at the ground has become.).

I almost wrote a piece on here about how the 15th of April is my most feared/ hated day of the year, but even 23 years on I was finding it too hard to put into words, so I gave up and left it.

As for regular church attendance, Easter was my last visit. I've become a lot better and more regular visitor over the last few years after I happily rediscovered a relationship with God, but still not as regular as I probably should be.

Hail.

You'll Never Walk Alone, friend. Hail

Palm Sunday and Easter.

Other than that, not much the past year or so.

Honestly I feel much more comfortable on Sunday generally not having to worry about going to church and taking up time with it.

Last night ... I was on a run and needed to take a dump.

Hope you took toilet paper with you.

:ols:

I went about two months ago. I skipped all of Holy Week, which I don't feel particularly good about, but it is what it is.

My faith runs very deep. Sometimes I wish my desire to participate in a faith community matched.

Wow, I had to do a search on it, and just reading the wiki article nearly brought me to tears, I just kept picturing myself with my son in the middle of that mess. Simply tragic.

I delivered flowers to a church two weeks ago... does that count?

lol, not sure, because I wasn't really expecting people to count stuff like funerals and weddings.

Still, see a lot of people look at this issue sort of the same way I do. Glad to see Hokie's response because I was curious about non-christians as well with Mosques. Getting the terminology right for thread title and OP was a headache, figured ya'll would know what I was talking about...

Just wondering, as I recently took a "quiz" and am an Agnostic Athiest...but where do you athiests/non-believers plan to have a funeral? Someone earlier in the thread mentioneed they were a non-believer and only go to church for funerals. That made me think about my funeral, hopefully more than 60 years from now...but seeing as I don't practice a religion or believe in any one religion/God...having my funeral at a church would seem hypocritical.

I do the major ones, Christmas Eve, Easter and any time something family related necessitates I go. I use to go weekly up through high school. I just hate church politics. Seems those people should be the most christian but people are always talking about other people, who has the right vision for the church etc. And they always try to get you to sign up for something.

I believe in Jesus, the Church and the resurrection ... I just like to do it in my own way. I prefer to do good acts and deeds (volunteer in a christian way) rather than sit for an hour singing and listening. I prefer an active relationship with Jesus.

Just wondering, as I recently took a "quiz" and am an Agnostic Athiest...but where do you athiests/non-believers plan to have a funeral? Someone earlier in the thread mentioneed they were a non-believer and only go to church for funerals. That made me think about my funeral, hopefully more than 60 years from now...but seeing as I don't practice a religion or believe in any one religion/God...having my funeral at a church would seem hypocritical.

That's an interesting question on the whole funeral aspect. My question to you, what quiz did you take that said you were an agnostic atheist? Those are two completely different positions, even if they accidentally get lumped together terminology wise sometimes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought agnostics are still kinda waiting for "proof", while atheists reject the whole idea of their being a God, period.

That's an interesting question on the whole funeral aspect. My question to you, what quiz did you take that said you were an agnostic atheist? Those are two completely different positions, even if they accidentally get lumped together terminology wise sometimes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought agnostics are still kinda waiting for "proof", while atheists reject the whole idea of their being a God, period.

It depends on your definition. One way of looking at it is as follows:

A theist believes in god

An atheist is without belief in god.

A gnostic believes something with certainty

An agnostic does not claim to have that certainty.

So with these definitions ...

A gnostic atheist would reject the idea of god.

A gnostic theist might be quite evangelical

An agnostic atheist thinks it all very unlikely but is open to the idea of something supernatural, but probably not one that takes attendance on Sundays or cares about shellfish, sexuality etc.

An agnostic theist is probably a Methodist. :silly:

Archived