Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

43 minutes ago, max21 said:

Absolutely no way The Predator is worse than Venom, to each their own but that’s laughable. I usually critic movies harshly but I thought Venom was not a bad movie, I’m surprised it’s gets such negative reviews. Not Hardy’s best movie but I thought it was a decent flick. 

I honestly cant remember more then 3 seconds of venom. I can recite the entire terrible plot of Predator in my head though. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, max21 said:

Absolutely no way The Predator is worse than Venom, to each their own but that’s laughable. I usually critic movies harshly but I thought Venom was not a bad movie, I’m surprised it’s gets such negative reviews. Not Hardy’s best movie but I thought it was a decent flick. I did watch the movie Snatch last night, probably one of my favorite movies I’ve seen lately. Funny as hell and a bunch of good actors, could barely understand Brad Pitt at times but he was awesome in it. 

Agreed.

The new Predator movie was really really bad, although I was slightly entertained while watching it.  Venom was pretty damn bad too but when he started talking to Venom in his head, it took a turn for the better.  Some of those conversations had me rolling.  I don't know if it was supposed to be funny or not but I laughed.

• Like 2

Saw Glass over the weekend.  It was...okay.  It was a slow burn like most of M Night's movies, but the payoff was a little disappointing.  It was definitely interesting and his take on certain aspects of the comic book genre were interesting.  Thought the acting was great.  James Mcavoy steals the show IMO and supplies a lot of the humor.  I'd be interested to see something like the Horde/Beast in a MCU movie as a villain/anti-hero.  That character is so well done.   

Spoiler

The Hydra style secret society twist I felt just didn't get over right.  It was a cool idea, but it didn't really get into what their purpose was other then to hide the fact to society that super humans exist.  Which is there to just go against Mr Glass wanting to show the world they do exist.  Although I do like how he outsmarted the Dr and the whole let them battle at the city's largest skyscraper was a ruse.  

Edited by drowland
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, drowland said:

Saw Glass over the weekend.  It was...okay.  It was a slow burn like most of M Night's movies, but the payoff was a little disappointing.  It was definitely interesting and his take on certain aspects of the comic book genre were interesting.  Thought the acting was great.  James Mcavoy steals the show IMO and supplies a lot of the humor.  I'd be interested to see something like the Horde/Beast in a MCU movie as a villain/anti-hero.  That character is so well done.   

Reveal hidden contents

The Hydra style secret society twist I felt just didn't get over right.  It was a cool idea, but it didn't really get into what their purpose was other then to hide the fact to society that super humans exist.  Which is there to just go against Mr Glass wanting to show the world they do exist.  Although I do like how he outsmarted the Dr and the whole let them battle at the city's largest skyscraper was a ruse.  

I'll give Glass a C-.  It was okay.  The pace for most of the movie was slow.  I thought the final act was stupid and I hated the ending.  I felt M Night couldn't figure out. how he wanted to end the story and he came up with ****.

I also Replicas.  It gets a D+.  Nothing special about it. Guess, Keannu needed something to do; when not doing John Wick,

Baraka. (1993, dir. Ron Fricke).  After a long holiday season, I decided to get back to my cinema roots and dive into one of my favorite pieces of film.  There is no dialogue.  No plot, or not one that would fit into what our idea of a movie plot is.  Just moving images.  Kinda like watching Planet Earth without the narration.  That's it.  And it's amazing.  

For me, Baraka is a bit of a spiritual journey.  It takes the viewer around the world, exploring ideas such as religion, modernism, man vs. nature.  Some of the time lapse photography is the most breathtaking you will ever find.  

I don't have much else to add on it, it's one of those films that defies categorization.  I wanted to share it here, in case some of you might like to take the journey yourself.  I want to be clear, if you think movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey are boring, then this is not the film for you.  It is an acquired taste.  But if you like photography, I think you'll be impressed.

I suggest the Blu Ray and running it on the biggest screen you can find.  Mesmerizing stuff.  (4/4)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Friend of mine came over earlier this evening and we somehow ended up watching this movie on Netflix called Polar.  It's got Mads Mikkelson in it and a couple of other cool cameos, I won't spoil it if anyone decides to watch it.

Basically, he's a hitman two weeks from retirement and his company that he works for is trying to screw him on the 8 million owed to him at the end of his contract by killing him.  There's more to it than that, but that's the basic plot.  A group of hitmen trying to kill a hitman.

It could have been so much better than it was.  In a way, really disjointed.  You've got Mikkelson, who's really good, in these really well shot noir scenes...and then a minute later, you've got this rag tag group of hitmen that are on his trail, and they're depicted in this 2000s really annoying, way over the top "Smokin' Aces" type style that was popular 10-15 years ago.  And the bad guy that's heading it all up is just more annoying than bad.  Didn't really have a reason to hate him, just thought he was bad in a B movie kinda way.  

There's a lot of violence, a couple scenes that reminded me of John Wick from a choreographed perspective.  There's some t & a.  There's some funny scenes.  

But it's a 2 hour movie that's about 20-30 minutes too long.  If they'd had tightened it up, found a better bad guy and maybe gotten rid of some of that Smokin Aces vibe, it could have been really good.  But I'm just giving it a C.  

• Like 1

The Lego Movie 2 - Gets a solid B.  A good but not great sequel.  Kind of hard to capture the magic or the original movie.  The kids will like it though.

Cold Pursuit - Liam Nelson getting revenge. A solid B- movie.  Actually, the body count was kind of funny in a way.

Netflix's "Bright", get a surprising B. I finally watched this movie with Will Smith.  Netflix, actually did a decent job.

Also, finally saw "Happy Death Day" and it gets a B.  I enjoyed the horror groundhog day movie and will see the sequel this weekend.

• Like 1

Saw a mix of older and newer movies recently:

Truman (with Gary Sinise): A. Long movie, but really not a dull moment. Truman was a fascinating President, because he was really just a fairly

ordinary middle class American who lucked into the Presidency, then faced some of the greatest challenges that a President has ever faced (eg. dropping the A-bomb on Japan, the Korean War). Gary Sinise is brilliant (as usual) in the lead role.  Highly recommended.

The 12th Man: A-. Based on a true story of how a Norwegian resistance fighter escapes the Nazis and makes his way through the wilderness all the way to Sweden. Watch in the original Norwegian language with English subtitles. Tremendous.  

JFK (I'd never seen it before): C. Just way too long. Its a shame, because Oilver Stone is a great director and makes a gorgeous, stylish film. But the films drags on forever. 

Reign of the Superman (DC Animated) : A-. One of the better animated movies DC has released in a long while. After the Death of Superman at the hands of Doomsday, Metropolis is invaded by a group of new Supermen -- Superboy, Android Superman and Cyborg Superman. Its up to Lois Lane to determine what is going on. 

MacArthur: C+. Douglas MacArthur is titanic figure in American History, but Gregory Peck is the wrong guy to play him. Peck gives a stiff, lifeless performance here. 

Edited by Mournblade
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@TryTheBeal!
Your take on Suspiria is lies.
Worst movie ever...
No ides how people can claim it is so scary.

Happy Death Day 2U
First was better.... all arounr... C-?

My family just watched Oscars.... BlackKklansman, Green Book, First Man, and Bohemian Rhapsody are on my list to watch.

6 hours ago, Fergasun said:

@TryTheBeal!
Your take on Suspiria is lies.
Worst movie ever...
No ides how people can claim it is so scary.

Uh, I specifically said that it wasn’t really scary and didn’t work purely as a horror film.

Anyway, The Incredibles 2 was a pretty big letdown.  B- at best.

Instant Family was a lot better than I thought it'd be.  Great job by the child actors so it tugged on the heart strings a bit.  B.

Second Act was surprisingly not terrible. J-Lo still got a phat ass.  C. 

The Death of Stalin was really good.  Anything Buscemi, Timbor, and Isaacs should be mandatory viewing.  A. 

Creed II was pretty solid.  Drago was a great bad guy and his Russian symphony intro song at the end was kick ass.  B+. 

Creed II

Spoiler

I can't lie, when they went all hero fighter almost dies and needs to find himself, and then Stallone took him to that desert training facility, I was like "oh Christ, here we go with this cornball ass **** I'd expect in a Vin Diesel movie."  But by the end of the Adonis/Drago training montage, I was pumped the **** up and ready to throw them hands :headbang:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2019 at 9:01 AM, Chew said:

Creed II was pretty solid.  Drago was a great bad guy and his Russian symphony intro song at the end was kick ass.  B+. 

Creed II

Hide contents

I can't lie, when they went all hero fighter almost dies and needs to find himself, and then Stallone took him to that desert training facility, I was like "oh Christ, here we go with this cornball ass **** I'd expect in a Vin Diesel movie."  But by the end of the Adonis/Drago training montage, I was pumped the **** up and ready to throw them hands :headbang:

I liked Creed II.  The thing about all the Rocky/Creed movies is...you know what's going to happen.  There are no secrets.  There's no mysteries.  Rocky/Creed finds himself down on his luck, finds some adversity, gets a wakeup call, there's a sick training montage and he comes out on top.  That's pretty much every Rocky/Creed movie.  AND IT WORKS EVERY TIME.  IT NEVER FAILS.  Even the Rocky 6 movie, where he's an old man, was still a blast.  Rocky V wasn't great, only because I think Rocky IV was so damn good and it was kinda hard to live up to.

I watched A Star Is Born last night, I liked it.  Good chemistry between Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.  My issue with it was that it covered a lot of ground REALLY fast and didn't really give any insight as to how long it took to get her from bar singer to award winning performer.  3 weeks?  3 months?  A year?  That said, I'm giving it a solid B.  Lady Gaga has some awesome acting chops, I hope she makes more movies.  I wish I liked her music because I like her.

• Like 1

Finally saw Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse...fantastic movie, MUCH better than I expected.

Green Book...entertaining and fantastic acting by the two leads, but a little too conventional in certain aspects in the service of putting a certain sheen on the story and characters. Still good, though.

Abducted In Plain Sight...bat**** insane documentary lol...I could barely process some of the events that actually took place.

BlacKkKlansman...good movie but overrated. Adam Driver was actually damn good in the movie, and Spike's direction was more mature than in other movies he's directed.