Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Just saw "They Shall Never Grow Old" and I feel like I should like it better than I did. Everything was really well done: the archival restoration, voice over narration, the story arc they generated, but there was just something missing for me.

I think part of it is that it has a slightly whitewashed feel. It didn't quite gloss over the horror of war and trench warfare especially, but there was a bit too much glossed over in terms of struggle, misery and just how awful it all was. The bad stuff was hinted at, but not really explored. And yet that isn't fair, because there were gruesome photos and discussion of the loss of limbs or the extent of the dead or the scarcity of materials.

It just fell a little short of what I wanted. It might be as simple as the fact that there were no characters to understand the story through. No protagonist and so the conflict became distanced.

Vice.  I'm giving it a B.

Bale is great.  I think it was a pretty accurate portrayal of Cheney.  I liked how they handled his daughters sexuality.  In the end, when he breaks the third wall and addresses the audience, I think that was accurate too.  Yeah, he did a lot of bad stuff but I think that little rant he went on probably is how he really feels about what he did.

• Like 1

"Greta" was a movie about an older lady who sets traps to lure young women to her home in an effort to ease the pain of her own daughter committing suicide,after forming a friendship with the young women she becomes obsessed eventually kidnapping the women and killing them 

"Murser on the Orient Express..." in middle school I went through a Christie kick. I probably only understood 50% of the story at best.

A-; I kind've figured out the conclusion early on. However, I felt the cinemetigraohy, theme and acting were very strong. I saw others had issue with the storytelling....

The Wind Rises: Grade A: animated film from studio Ghibli. One of the most beautiful animated movies I've ever seen. The story is a tad long

but you won't care, you'll be so hypnotized by the spectacular animation. 

Gotti: Grade B; not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Travolta gives a pretty admirable performance as the beleaguered "Teflon Don". 

Movie is full of mob movie cliches and the soundtrack is right out "Goodfellas", but still, its a worth a viewing, at least. 

The Dirt, on Netflix.  Motley Crue's story.

I'm not sure how this movie got made in the Me Too era, and I really don't care.  It's dumb, it's fun (just like the members of the group) and does a pretty good job of describing the rise and fall of a quintessential 80s band.  It's a rock band biopic done right, it doesn't hold back.  While I liked Bohemian Rhapsody, it was sanitized.  And if Netflix was going to sanitize this, it would be terrible...but it's not clean at all.  

Of course the critics hate it 45% on Rotten Tomatoes, I'm assuming because it's not highbrow, but how could it be?...the audience seems to like it at 86%, which is a little higher than where I'd put it.  

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dirt_2019

This Rolling Stone review was a little over the top:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/the-dirt-movie-review-netflix-motley-crue-812049/

But what will really make you repeat those five words, at a turned-up-to-11 volume, is the moment that happens right before the Prince of Darkness tries to show these yanks how to party when it comes to ingesting Formicidae. We’ve watched Vince Neil (Daniel Webber), Nikki Sixx (Douglas Booth), Mick Mars (former Game of Thrones sadist-in-residence Iwan Rheon) and Tommy Lee(Colson Baker, a.k.a. Machine Gun Kelly) indulge in all sorts of bad behavior up to this point. They’re comparing groupie numbers for the tour; one of them makes a joke about that gang bang in Salt Lake City. High-fives are exchanged. And then Mars, giving his band mates the stink eye, says, “I happen to have respect for myself and the females of our species, unlike you animals.” You can feel it rising in you, like the wave of vomit that hits a person after they’ve chugged a whole bottle of Jack to take the edge off the coke they snorted off someone’s breasts. It’s unstoppable. You can’t hold it in. This is the point where you will shout [boom], shout [boom], shout, shout at your TV screen: Are. You. ****ing. Kidding. Me?!

I mean, get over yourself.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

(2018)

MV5BOTY4NDcyZGQtYmVlNy00ODgwLTljYTMtYzQ2

Seven years after the disappearance of her father, 21-year-old Lara has refused to take the reins of his global business empire, instead working as a bike courier in London while taking college classes.

Eventually she becomes inspired to investigate her father’s disappearance and travels to his last-known location: a tomb on an island somewhere off the coast of Japan.

Suddenly, the stakes couldn’t be higher for Lara, who—against the odds and armed with only her sharp mind, blind faith and inherently stubborn spirit—must learn to push herself beyond her limits as she journeys into the unknown. If she survives this perilous adventure, it could be the making of her, earning her the name tomb raider.”

I thought it was pretty good. Captured the spirit of the franchise and at the same time, created it's own unique story. Only thing I found a tad uncomfortable is that they are following the "Rise" playbook, making it something of an origin story. But perhaps that's what it needs.

And holy crap did Vikander prepare for her role. She looks like a mma fighter. I'm looking forward to the sequel. 

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

(2018)

I thought it was pretty good. Captured the spirit of the franchise and at the same time, created it's own unique story. Only thing I found a tad uncomfortable is that they are following the "Rise" playbook, making it something of an origin story. But perhaps that's what it needs.

And holy crap did Vikander prepare for her role. She looks like a mma fighter. I'm looking forward to the sequel. 

Better than the Jolie ones?  I remember seeing one of those in theatres a long time ago and thinking it was actually decent.  

Probably not the first one, but that's likely because at the time, Jolie was the spitting image of the more sexualized PS1 Croft, and the drop you right into a story with her in her prime, utilizing all her skills, weapons and tech.

The 2018 version made for a better overall movie imo because it made her more emotionally vulnerable and green, allowing for better acting, whereas the 2001 version, while more stylized, was basically "Lara Croft kicks everyone's ass."

• Like 1

The Highwaymen, the story of the two men that tracked down Bonnie and Clyde.  Woody Harrelson and Kevin Costner.  I think Harrelson is great, and I like Costner in most roles he does and this is one of them.  

It's on Netflix.  Really well done, the clothes, cars, guns, all top notch.  B+.  When you know how the story ends, yet it's still a bit suspenseful, IMO that's a good thing.  That, and the actual footage they show before the credits run was really cool, too.  

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight: B+. Surprisingly great story. Would have received a higher score if the animation was better (it isn't bad,

its merely adequate). 

• Like 1

I watched some 80s movies this week.  

Running Man 1987.  This movie takes place in the same universe as idiocracy right?  

Highlander 1986.  Sean Connery the Spaniard (ha!) and his pea**** feather cloak is comedy gold.  

Dune 1984.  How high does one need to be for this **** make any sense at all?  Did they contract out the closing credits to another studio?  

I have to ask, did people in the 80s not care about dialogue at all or was everyone just too high to notice the characters sound like robots trying to pass as humans?  Also, what’s with the flamboyant villains?

(I will probably watch all of these gloriously horrible movies another dozen times.)

I’m staying on this crazy train and watching DragonSlayer next.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

Dune 1984.  How high does one need to be for this **** make any sense at all?  

True Story:  I watched this movie with a friend at the Uptown Theater in DC when it came out and we were stoned as hell.  They handed out a pamphlet with some translations for the movie and I can remember giggling like a little girl.  The whole thing was ridiculous.  Even high, I don't think it made sense, but it probably was more enjoyable to watch that way.

• Like 3

I used to see pretty much anything at the Uptown just because of how awesome it was to see movies there. Plus, Ireland’s Four Provinces almost never carded.

Watched “The Dirt” this weekend. It was terrible and I loved it. 

8 hours ago, Destino said:

Running Man 1987.  This movie takes place in the same universe as idiocracy right?  

Highlander 1986.  Sean Connery the Spaniard (ha!) and his pea**** feather cloak is comedy gold.  

Dune 1984.  How high does one need to be for this **** make any sense at all?  Did they contract out the closing credits to another studio?  

I have to ask, did people in the 80s not care about dialogue at all or was everyone just too high to notice the characters sound like robots trying to pass as humans?  Also, what’s with the flamboyant villains?

(I will probably watch all of these gloriously horrible movies another dozen times.)

I’m staying on this crazy train and watching DragonSlayer next.  

Gonna watch the Mad Max trilogy at some point. And the OG Bladerunner

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Gonna watch the Mad Max trilogy at some point. And the OG Bladerunner

Good call, I haven't seen those Mad Max movies in forever.  Another good example of overly expressive leather clad punks as villains that the 70's and 80's loved so much. 

• Like 2

I've seen the first one. I think despite its surface appearance, it's all supposed to be a gradual descent into madness.

1 wasn't  probably what you'd call post apocalyptic even, rather a 1% futuristic police state-ish world on the brink, with him as sort of a state trooper,  going up against biker gangs on the desolate roads between the huge metropolises. Sort of functions as an origin story iirc. 

But I really liked it, and want to find a visually/audio enhanced collection, if it exists.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

The more I go back and watch 80s and 90s movies, the more I realize how unwatchable many of those movies are, because they are too long. 

I watched the movie "Quiz Show" the other day, which was widely praised back then, and I barely survived, it was so long. 

That's what I like about movies nowdays. Short, crisp and to the point. (except if its directed by Rian Johnson).   

Edited by Mournblade

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

The more I go back and watch 80s and 90s movies, the more I realize how unwatchable many of those movies are, because they are too long. 

I watched the movie "Quiz Show" the other day, which was widely praised back then, and I barely survived, it was so long. 

That's what I like about movies nowdays. Short, crisp and to the point. (except if its directed by Rian Johnson).   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bumblebee - a solid 8/10.  it's kind of kiddy and has quite a bit of cheesy/corny stuff but I overall enjoyed it.  Has a different vibe from the Michael Bay Transformers movies too.  Sound and visuals in this movie were pretty incredible.

Edited by purbeast