Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Glad there are folks like you, finding the cheaters...

Hope you find a job you like soon. Chin up!

thank you. Trust me its rewarding finding those doing some truly despicable things(sad thing is when you are too late in catching it. Like someone overdosing because the doctor just wrote off on a billion pills. I've already got a few cases at the FBI and such. I may be gone but they'll be calling soon for my testimony. Shame though I could have probably gone into the FBI with alittle more time at that position. My boss said that was what she was grooming me for. She took me out to lunch to talk. She's not happy. The VP has been talking to the state about any chance of me moving there. They know me up there for previous cases I've had to meet with them about.

In the next few weeks, I'm going to dive head first into the magical world of fermentation. Kimchi, pickles, kombucha, all sorts of things. I've been flirting with it for a while and now I'm just about ready.

I heard an interview with the author of this book on the radio the other day and it went onto my short list of food books:

The Art of Fermentation by Sandor Katz

Check this out. I don't know how much you cook at home, but save the onion skins, celery waste, carrot peels, whatever you normally throw out and put it in a container in the fridge. It'll last for weeks. Freeze it even.

When you have a few cups worth or more, throw it in a pot with enough water to float it. Put some black peppercorns and thyme or dried whatever. You can even save the stems from herbs you may have used in the previous week, just leave them in a dry place like the counter and just use them. No salt though. Simmer all that for an hour or so and strain it. You have veggie broth. Add stuff and you have soup.

Do the same with uncooked chicken bones and you have chicken broth, fish carcase and you have a fume (fish broth).

Char onions and ginger and you have Pho. What the french do, is take the cow shanks and whatever other large bones you have, coat them in tomato paste and roast for a few hours and then do what I said above with them in the water, but you'll need to roast the bones for 3-6 hours to really get that flavor.

Once strained, if you cook your stock (any of them) down a little more and remove any impurity that comes to the top, then your stock becomes broth and it'll have a nice rich taste. Some people will add egg whites to it and skim them off to remove further impurities and make it crystal clear, but that's getting into the consume world. The impurities are more for looks than anything.

Once you've made broth (or soup base(the more you reduce it, after straining it, the more intense the flavor becomes)) you can freeze it in ice cube trays and when you make pasta, you can use one cube to make a sauce better or a couple cubes and make a bowl of soup, just by heating it up and throwing in noodles or veggies or chicken or fish. You can jar it and it will keep for 6 months or more or just freeze it in large containers and have broth or soup for a long long time.

You can even call your friends to come over for chicken noodle Pho. ;)

---------- Post added May-20th-2013 at 11:02 AM ----------

In the next few weeks, I'm going to dive head first into the magical world of fermentation. Kimchi, pickles, kombucha, all sorts of things. I've been flirting with it for a while and now I'm just about ready.

Actually I do cook a fair amount and you have pretty much described how I make chicken soup from leftover whole chicken. But chicken soup is a long way from Pho. I'm aware of roasting bones but have never really tried it. But I may after reading this.

Or I could just go to the one of a dozen Pho shops that have opened up here in suburban MD. :)

Just bought the engagement ring for my gf today. Hope I can keep this secret better than Christmas presents haha

Good Luck to you sir :)

----------------

Feels so weird to be up right now. A normal day during the week I'd be in bed cuz I'd have to get up at 5:45-50. Instead I allowed my friends to talk me into some PS3 play. Then again getting away from all the crap for a few hours that has happened in the last day might not be such a bad thing.

Feels so weird to be up right now. A normal day during the week I'd be in bed cuz I'd have to get up at 5:45-50. Instead I allowed my friends to talk me into some PS3 play. Then again getting away from all the crap for a few hours that has happened in the last day might not be such a bad thing.

Been a little over a month since I hooked up the PS3 again. It is a good stress reliever. It's always good to find a way to clear your mind of the day to day bull****.

Not gonna lie...I like this new custom avatar thing. What a great picture.

I think the change is good, though I will miss the black background (dunno, maybe it comes back as the board gets the finishing touches over the next month or so). Everything seems a little easier to access, plus there's the "Like" feature, which is awesome, as well as the custom avatar feature. I'm not even sure what mine is gonna be yet.

I definitely like the fact that you no longer have to worry about either going with no avatar at all (which is pretty bland) or going with one that 200 other people will have. Plus I feel that it will give posters more of an identity.

Damn Wilbon hates the Shanahans :lol:

On PTI the topic of RG2 is brought up, and almost immediately, as Emperor Palpatine instructed Luke, Wilbon let's the hate flow, lol. Said the Shanahan's "Don't give a damn!" about Griffin, besides the fact that "He's their mealticket.". Dude had a look on his face like Shanahan ran over his son (or in Wilbon's case, McNabb) with a semi.

When asked about the possibility of Shanahann calling RG2 and telling him that the lines of communication would always be open, but to refrain from making public comments like that, Wilbon interrupts Kornheiser and says "I'd tell him to go to hell. Straight to hell. No pit stops."

My man is salty as hell, all because the Shanahan's wouldn't put up with McFatass Dude has so much salt he might mess around and stop his own heart.

I think you can criticize all you want, but eventually, you have to know where the line is, and not to cross it. I don't think people should be allowed to say crap like that without explaining themselves (to a degree).

Watching View From The Top, don't ask why. Gwyneth Paltrow is looking hot.

Yup--i'm one of those who think so too---and while this is not a good pic, it looks like Jennifer Aniston's been toning her slender form for her stripper role (the pic popped up on my Comcast home page).

JENNIFER-ANISTON_zps2c359359.jpg

Digging the avatar function.  

I'm still on the outs with Jennifer Lawrence, who never told me she was going to be shooting a movie in my neighborhood.  I never should have believed the pillow talk.

Watching View From The Top, don't ask why. Gwyneth Paltrow is looking hot.

I just watched Iron Man 3 today.  I even told my wife, I don't know what it is, but GP looks better and better the older she gets.  I used not to be attracted to her, now she is pretty hot and I don't usually like really thin women.

Archived