Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

Kind of curious as to when Hanky Panky and DRC will sign....... are they in a holding pattern to wait for someone to get hurt?  Seems like a big gamble to me. 

All of the unsigned free agents (maybe not the ones who decided to retire) are pretty much in a holding pattern now. If you are still unsigned at this point, it means that most front offices (including the coaches) don't feel you are potentially any better than what they have now.  You will likely be available after training camp if they need you or earlier if there is an injury or someone craps out early.  Teams do run the risk that this may happen to someone else sooner than them but smart FOs do want to extend their real rosters as much as possible.

On 6/18/2018 at 4:33 PM, tmandoug1 said:

Kind of curious as to when Hanky Panky and DRC will sign....... are they in a holding pattern to wait for someone to get hurt?  Seems like a big gamble to me. 

I am thinking these guys are in holding patterns until camp and guys starting getting hurt which increases their leverage.  Guys getting hurt years back brought us Jason Taylor and TJ Duckett in panic trades.

For me I've been giving the FO some slack as for their lack of activity thinking they have something else up their sleeve but time is running out.  Bruce mentioned something to the effect of pouncing on a surprise cut -- I presume in the D Jax/Norman style.   No real though surprise cuts have happened. 

If the idea is to use the extra cap room to resign Preston Smith -- I'd be ok with that but I am not sure that's what they are cooking.  It's plausible to me based on how they handled this years FA crop that they will let Preston go next year.  Hope they don't let him go though.  

I have some concerns about the secondary and depth at OLB and you got some good options on that front out on the market still. 

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If the idea is to use the extra cap room to resign Preston Smith -- I'd be ok with that but I am not sure that's what they are cooking.  It's plausible to me based on how they handled this years FA crop that they will let Preston go next year.  Hope they don't let him go though.  

I have some concerns about the secondary and depth at OLB and you got some good options on that front out on the market still. 

Just curious why you think they'll let Preston go - doesn't seem to make much sense when we're better off keeping one of our better young (and homegrown) guys on D.

On 6/18/2018 at 2:33 PM, SkinsGuy said:

I think it was the latter rather than the former.

Galette is the kind of guy would have no problem blaming his agent in his tweet if that is what happened. He seems pretty blunt and outspoken most of the time. Most likely, it was his own pride that got in the way.

So was this 2 year/$10 million offer was what Galette was referring to as "slave money"? :huh:

I was pulling for Galette,when we signed him a thru both injuries..Hoping he’d heal,come in and play to his younger form..His comments and attitude is what turned me off,I mean we stuck by him thruout two Major injuries/surgeries,rehabilitation and handled him with baby gloves during the season only to have him mouth off(blah,blah-Pay me starting “like I’ve done something for my team” money)..I think he got exactly what he deserved!!..pure entitlement,and grandiose attitude-I know at my job I get paid for what I do and show what I’m worth,not sit back and demand a dime because I THINK I’m worth something without earning it..2yr/10 million,yeah poor you!!..ya should’ve blown out both ur ankles again trying to sign that deal fast enough but as you now see won’t get that from anyone else..(Karma bit ya brother,enjoy!!!)

6 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Just curious why you think they'll let Preston go - doesn't seem to make much sense when we're better off keeping one of our better young (and homegrown) guys on D.

I hit that in an earlier post.  And my take really is I can see it go either way.  There are some here who seem to think its slam dunk what they are thinking and what they will do and that is lock him in.  I don't see it as slam dunk for these reasons.

A.  Typically they lock up their potential FAs that they keep -- if they are among their big players -- the off season before FA or early in the season.  (in other words, this year).   There is still time but it hasn't happened yet. 

B.  They seem to have a locked in view of the value of their players and prefer not to veer off course on that.  I think Preston can be a case (similar to Kirk because of the same idea) where the players is valued more in the open market than in house. 

Case in point to me is O. Vernon.  Like Preston he was a young and emerging pass rusher.  The Dolphins didn't want to pay him like he arrived whereas the Giants where willing to pay him like that.  That tends to happen with pass rushers.  So it wouldn't shock me that the team and Preston's agent might see his value differently.   And in turn the Redskins decide to let Preston hit the market and would rather get the third round comp pick back in return than pay Preston lets say 14 million.

So in a way I think Preston's value might preclude a deal.   Preston hasn't been hurt -- played in every game.  He's young and emerging.  I get not everyone here loves the guy.  I like him.  And, I think he will get a lot of love in the open market.  Just like franchise QBs don't hit the market often - ditto for young pass rushers.  And it wouldn't shock me that Preston's agent values him as a 12 sack kind of guy based on potential whereas the Redskins FO say dude you are an 8 sacks guy, we like you but you haven't arrived yet.  And the agent goes to Preston turn down that deal, we can do better in the open market.

Or something like that?  To me its 50-50.  If it were me I'd pay the man.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hit that in an earlier post.  And my take really is I can see it go either way.  There are some here who seem to think its slam dunk what they are thinking and what they will do and that is lock him in.  I don't see it as slam dunk for these reasons.

A.  Typically they lock up their potential FAs that they keep -- if they are among their big players -- the off season before FA or early in the season.  (in other words, this year).   There is still time but it hasn't happened yet. 

B.  They seem to have a locked in view of the value of their players and prefer not to veer off course on that.  I think Preston can be a case (similar to Kirk because of the same idea) where the players is valued more in the open market than in house. 

Case in point to me is O. Vernon.  Like Preston he was a young and emerging pass rusher.  The Dolphins didn't want to pay him like he arrived whereas the Giants where willing to pay him like that.  That tends to happen with pass rushers.  So it wouldn't shock me that the team and Preston's agent might see his value differently.   And in turn the Redskins decide to let Preston hit the market and would rather get the third round comp pick back in return than pay Preston lets say 14 million.

So in a way I think Preston's value might preclude a deal.   Preston hasn't been hurt -- played in every game.  He's young and emerging.  I get not everyone here loves the guy.  I like him.  And, I think he will get a lot of love in the open market.  Just like franchise QBs don't hit the market often - ditto for young pass rushers.  And it wouldn't shock me that Preston's agent values him as a 12 sack kind of guy based on potential whereas the Redskins FO say dude you are an 8 sacks guy, we like you but you haven't arrived yet.  And the agent goes to Preston turn down that deal, we can do better in the open market.

You make great points to me..we’ve either struck out on FA,or the guys we have brought in only played “meh”..I like his upside,he continues to get better(although his stats do not reflect it but he is right on a QB’s ass in a large percentage of the plays he’s in on)..I think he’ll only get better as he develops even more,a good piece to keep and continue to build a defense with(as much as ppl think we’re just one great player away from a SB,it takes all the guys on the field to play at a certain level,and I think he does!!!)..I wouldn’t hand him a blank check and tell him to fill it in with what he thinks hes worth,but I’d definitely make it enough to keep him around(hell,if the rumor is true and we offered Junior G 2yr/10mil,then I think he somewhere in the 7-9mil range all day just on what he’s shown what he’s capable of alone!!)..GO AND SIGN THAT MAN!!!

2 hours ago, Mr.Will said:

I was pulling for Galette,when we signed him a thru both injuries..Hoping he’d heal,come in and play to his younger form..His comments and attitude is what turned me off,I mean we stuck by him thruout two Major injuries/surgeries,rehabilitation and handled him with baby gloves during the season only to have him mouth off(blah,blah-Pay me starting “like I’ve done something for my team” money)..I think he got exactly what he deserved!!..pure entitlement,and grandiose attitude-I know at my job I get paid for what I do and show what I’m worth,not sit back and demand a dime because I THINK I’m worth something without earning it..2yr/10 million,yeah poor you!!..ya should’ve blown out both ur ankles again trying to sign that deal fast enough but as you now see won’t get that from anyone else..(Karma bit ya brother,enjoy!!!)

Yeah, Galette was disappointing this offseason.

The Redskins stuck by him the whole time when he blew out his achilles, then blew out his other one the next year. He is able to play this year, but didn't really "wow" anyone.

Then this offseason he starts mouthing off on twitter like he is the greatest OLB in the NFL and saying stupid things like the Redskins only offered him "slave money" (which turned out to be a generous 2 year/$10 million deal).

I think we see now why New Orleans kicked him to the curb.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good post. I think and hope we get it done this off season for the very reasons you just laid out. His market value is probably 14-15 M a year, especially if he has a big year. I think getting it done this offseason we could offer 12-13 with the idea we are getting a good deal if he performs big this year. I think it’s a smart play and will be upset at the FO if they let him walk because I don’t envision Ryan Anderson being able to take over that spot and see Preston as someone who continues to grow as a player.

36 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Good post. I think and hope we get it done this off season for the very reasons you just laid out. His market value is probably 14-15 M a year, especially if he has a big year. I think getting it done this offseason we could offer 12-13 with the idea we are getting a good deal if he performs big this year. I think it’s a smart play and will be upset at the FO if they let him walk because I don’t envision Ryan Anderson being able to take over that spot and see Preston as someone who continues to grow as a player.

I am not a scout obviously or football expert.  But I think anyone of us can tell a lot by watching the coaches tape and I had some time to kill during recent weekends and I just slowed down the tape and just focused on the D line for about 10 games.  In doing so, I was more impressed than I thought I would be with Preston Smith (i liked him before but watching him closely I ended up liking him even more).  I think the dude can become one of the better pass rushers in the league.  He was decent against the run, too.  But yeah you can see him being a handful to the LT and even if he doesn't always gets sacks -- to quote Gregg Williams as to what he would say to his defenders make them feel you -- you can see the QB feels him.  He's a threat often. 

Ryan Anderson got more reps than I thought he did especially in certain games like the SD one.  You can see enough of him to get a feel for his season.  And to say you can see the difference between him and the others and that includes Galette would be an understatement.  Anderson didn't come off as much of a threat at all -- If I was a QB I'd actually smile if I saw Anderson come in the game -- I'd take it as a breather.  He mostly subbed for Kerrigan on the left side.

Hopefully last year was an aberration for Anderson.  But for me as a lay person just slowing down tape -- Preston to me looks like could be a breakout star.  As for Anderson -- I believe every player deserves year 2 to grow -- but if he plays like that again, it wouldn't shock me if he's another 2nd round bust.  We've had a lot of bad luck in the 2nd round (better luck in the 3rd) sans Preston, ironically.  And I think Guice will tear it up as a 2nd round stud. too.

So to your point, if that money is held for Preston, I am 100% on board with that.  But I don't think that's slam dunk.  But hope they do it.  

On the same point shout out to Thinking Skins who touted Francis.  Francis didn't blow my socks off but he had some good games against the run playing nose and right-DE -- often lined up against the guard.  

18 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

This may not be the popular answer but I think they are going with Apke if something happened to Monte during the season. And I’m ok with that. 

As of now, that looks like a mistake.  Of course they probably have Everett penciled in as the #3 so far... though I’d guess they push Swearinger to FS in that case (as they seemed to last year).  

Given the nature of the position (FS that is), the difficulty adjusting to it, Swearinger’s ability to fill in there, and Apke’s rawness, I wonder if a guy like Blanding is more apt to get PT ahead of Apke (as a SS).  I’m also looking forward to seeing Smithson’s growth. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan212689 said:

This may not be the popular answer but I think they are going with Apke if something happened to Monte during the season. And I’m ok with that. 

I can't see them going with Apke if something happens to Nicholson. Even the team has talked about his greenness.

Everett would probably be the replacement. Unless they sign someone else.

I don’t want to get too down on Apke, but as of now my guess is he only makes the team because of ST play.  He does have the advantage of competing vs 2 guys that are unproven (Smithson/Blanding), and a 3rd ( Everett) that might be a better STer than safety (and is a FA next year).  I’m hopeful he can be coached up/developed in the next year or two to serve as the backup to Nicholson and can become a ST ace in the meantime.  Not a great return on a 4th round pick, but not bad either.  

Apke shouldn't be the backup safety he can't cover and takes bad angles, something the last line of defense CAN'T do, the only thing he offers is straight line speed. And if this were any other player that needed this much "seasoning" everyone would be yelling "why waste a roster spot on player "X" when they can't help the team right now".

Blanding is a better tackler and knows how to take angles better than Apke and Fish Smithson is better than either of them plus he was on PS last year so he knows the defense better than the others as well so I'd put my money on Smithson.

On 6/18/2018 at 1:33 PM, tmandoug1 said:

Who is Hanky Panky? The only person I can think of is Leonard Hankerson, but he hasn't been in the NFL since 2015.

Apke will pleasantly surprise many. I respect the comments above but Apke may be our smartest saftey already. His skill set fits well with what they ask out of the FS spot.

No he’s not a big hitter but he’s more than willing tackler with phenomenal speed that actually translate to the field. 

Hail

Archived