Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

I don’t buy the whole “Hankins will affect the development of our young guys” stuff. Dline is as rotational a position as it gets, everyone will get reps. What you want is to have as many players as possible who deserve as many of those reps as possible, to the point where every single rotation is good to elite. 

Hankins will only increase that possibility. Never mind the fact that Hankins himself is pretty damn young at only 26 years old. 

Dline is a position that’s so significant, so impactful, that you need to be more flexible with the common thinking of team-building principles. Just like QB. 

So while it’s normally correct to say something like “don’t overspend in FA or in general”, or “don’t trade draft picks”, you should get a little bit more flexible at those two positions. It’s rare to see a contender without very good to elite QBs and very good to elite Dlines. 

That being said, it’s no longer a pressing need once we drafted Payne, so the only way it’d make sense to sign Hankins is if his price has come way down.

And even though Phil Taylor is more of a traditional NT whereas Hankins is more versatile, I think he’s actually the biggest hindrance on the roster to signing Hankins. It’s a bit overkill with both. My fear is that Taylor’s legs just can’t hold up and that even if he makes it out of the preseason, they won’t last an entire season. We have zero evidence to think otherwise. :/ 

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:
Why it’s not crazy to still want Hankins:

I understand this point of view. Depth and Strength on the DL. From my perspective the youth of the DL should be taken advantage of by maximizing the reps and experience gained by training camp and this season. Would Hankins help on the short term? Sure. However I believe we are setting the foundation of having a good line this year and a great line next year due to experience.  The remaining cap needs to be spent on extensions for Brandon and Preston. In two or three years Allen, Payne or Ion could be nasty. Heck.... it could be this year but you have to take an educated guess...

12 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

I understand this point of view. Depth and Strength on the DL. From my perspective the youth of the DL should be taken advantage of by maximizing the reps and experience gained by training camp and this season. Would Hankins help on the short term? Sure. However I believe we are setting the foundation of having a good line this year and a great line next year due to experience.  The remaining cap needs to be spent on extensions for Brandon and Preston. In two or three years Allen, Payne or Ion could be nasty. Heck.... it could be this year but you have to take an educated guess...

I get this, as well, which is why I said if Hankins cost has come down considerably. 

That being said, I think we’re assuming too much about how much it affects extending Scherff/Preston. We don’t really know how much the money we’ve saved is about them in the first place, or how flexible the team will be next year in their minds (they might have guys they already know they’re likely to move on from to free up space). 

And I think Hankins’ age is being too overlooked. He’s just turned 26 in March. He doesn’t have to be a short term signing, nor does he affect the youth of our Dline. In fact, he can help by pushing out an older guy like Hood or Taylor. 

I’m an extremist when it comes to Dline, so I get that not everyone is going to see it like this. I’d even be willing to lose a Preston Smith for Hankins (if it meant a long term signing), and I’m one of Smith’s biggest fans. But it’s close. Smith is pretty much a Dlineman himself. 

If signing Hankins truly hinders us from extending both Smith and Scherff, then I’m not for it. But then I have to look at Allen and the resource management under him that has lead us to this point. 

Hankins at Nose with Payne and Allen at end would be a destructive 3-4 DL. Kerrigan, Payne, Ioannidis, and Smith could then be the starters in the 4-2. Our defense could be elite for years if the secondary pans out. 

With that DL, we could face Barkley and Elliott twice a year and not be constantly gouged.

I don’t know why anyone even talks about Phil Taylor. He is never healthy and is a year older than his last unhealthy year. Anything you get out of him is sheer luck. He looked great last preseason. But, you can’t plan personnel moves around having Phil Taylor available. 

All of that being said, I think we will be rolling with what we’ve got. I don’t expect any major outside signings. 

12 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Good news about the Colt McCoy extension.. he's always had a spot in my heart after going into Dallas and beating the Cowboys on a Monday nighter.. just saying..

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

McCoy has done well for himself here. Good money being a back up QB these days.

Remember someone was calling for him to start during the RG3/Kirk "controversy". Was it LaVar Arrington?

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t know why anyone even talks about Phil Taylor. He is never healthy and is a year older than his last unhealthy year. Anything you get out of him is sheer luck. He looked great last preseason. But, you can’t plan personnel moves around having Phil Taylor available. 

I agree that Taylor’s health is a good reason to let him go and give reps to some younger guys. But he is so dominant when healthy. If he is pencilled in as a back-up, situational player, keeping his snap counts down, then that is a benefit to this team especially since he’s so cheap. But I could live without him as well simply because of his injuries. 

Other news: Hard to believe Malik McDowell was cut by the seahawks. I guess his head injury will take years to heal. Had Allen not fallen to us I thought we couldve drafted him last year. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24200774/seattle-seahawks-waive-malik-mcdowell-35th-overall-pick-2017-draft

Just to play Devil’s advocate, everyone here is saying that we should not sign Hankins because we need to save our cap room for Brandon Scherff’s new contract. There is very little positional value at guard.

I think Scherff’s contract is likely going to be at least 10-12 million per year? Would you rather spend that on a guard or spend it on a DT? 

I think a stats stats guy might let Scherff walk, take the comp pick, and spend less money on Hankins, who has more positional value. 

1 hour ago, Dancing Bear said:

Remember someone was calling for him to start during the RG3/Kirk "controversy". Was it LaVar Arrington?

Yeah and isn't there rumors that Jay has a crush on Colt something like that LOL..idk

part of me wonders how we would do if he was handed the reins, I was part of that group.. would have rather seen the job handed to Colt then paying out the big bucks we did for Alex/paying Kirk.. but I've always liked Alex and always wanted him on my team so I'm happy either way of course I'm a Redskins fan lol

18 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Just to play Devil’s advocate, everyone here is saying that we should not sign Hankins because we need to save our cap room for Brandon Scherff’s new contract. There is very little positional value at guard.

I think Scherff’s contract is likely going to be at least 10-12 million per year? Would you rather spend that on a guard or spend it on a DT? 

I think a stats stats guy might let Scherff walk, take the comp pick, and spend less money on Hankins, who has more positional value. 

I just had to quote this for idiocy in the purest. Youre talking about a dt that plays first and second down versus an ol that blocks for your rb, protects your qb and plays every down. 

28 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

7 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I just had to quote this for idiocy in the purest. Youre talking about a dt that plays first and second down versus an ol that blocks for your rb, protects your qb and plays every down. 

It reminds me of good ol' Mikey Wilbon lamenting the Redskins drafting Chris Samules over Peter Warwick, because they got Joe Jacoby as an UDFA.

34 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

no. 

Scherff is one of the best Guards in football

Hankins is going to be a rotational piece

Our current D-line might have the highest ceiling of any D-line the Redskins have ever fielded

no

1 hour ago, JaxJoe said:

Other news: Hard to believe Malik McDowell was cut by the seahawks. I guess his head injury will take years to heal. Had Allen not fallen to us I thought we couldve drafted him last year. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24200774/seattle-seahawks-waive-malik-mcdowell-35th-overall-pick-2017-draft

I would have drafted him as well...I thought he was a stud, even though he was so raw.  But the fact is, the kid made a critical mistake, he has been medically cleared to participate and he just turned 22 years old.  I would sign him immediately.

I'm interested to see what we do with Hogan now. I thought we traded for him because Colts contract coming to an end and we needed to groom a backup. That 3rd QB roster spot is a valuable spot. 

Ive been fine with signing Dez all along for the right price as long as he knows he isn't a high priority target so pouting on the sideline won't be tolerated. He has lost a step between the 20s but he can still run into the end zone and win a jump ball. We suck in the red zone, the more targets we have in there the better. I like our chances in the red zone with Reed in the middle, Dez on the outside and Guice in the backfield.

McDowell had potential but had not been that productive. I also didn’t like JPP coming out because he was projected mostly on potential. That turned out okay. 

Just yo be spear re scherff and Hankins, I would sign scherff. Hankins will be on his 3rd team in 3 years and that’s likely for a reason. I just found the argument interesting.

I would still be in favor of signing both however and suspect we could do so from a cap standpoint. I think Smith can take a team deep, but only with an excellent defense and running game.

32 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

I'm interested to see what we do with Hogan now. I thought we traded for him because Colts contract coming to an end and we needed to groom a backup. That 3rd QB roster spot is a valuable spot. 

I’m doubt they keep him - going to be enough tough cuts as is - unless he really shows a lot of course.  

Archived