Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

22 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Don't be surprised if Stroman finds his way into that group... especially with his ability to return punts and kicks.  

He looks pretty good returning and in coverage. Johnson flashed as well in the slot as well. I wouldn't mind bringing DRC in, but I also would be ok with what we have. If the front 7 plays really well, it's pretty easy to cover a secondary that might be suspect if your front 7 is good.

Just now, Morneblade said:

He looks pretty good returning and in coverage. Johnson flashed as well in the slot as well. I wouldn't mind bringing DRC in, but I also would be ok with what we have. If the frton 7 plays really well, it's pretty easy to cover a secondary that might be suspect if your front 7 is good.

This is exactly where I'm at.  I like that we're looking long term as well.  We have guys who are OUR guys.. I'd rather take a raw 23 year old guy who can develop, than a vet who's given me similar production in a small sample size.  

37 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Don't be surprised if Stroman finds his way into that group... especially with his ability to return punts and kicks.  

I think that's an underrated weakness of this team -- punt returns.  Stroman was lights out in that dept. in college.  Beat guys have said he's had a rocky camp but has picked it up of late.  So hopefully he has a chance.  Some of the beat guys have said Adonis hasn't looked hot -- Jay in an interview I listened to suggested said he's behind the others at the position but it makes sense considering he's a newcomer who wasn't in minicamp, etc. 

Jay as he should touted the guys in house in that interview but also said they will bring someone in.  Not sure if that alludes to DRC.  It's not that I think DRC is the be all and end all but he's a good versatile corner.  And I am not one that is hung up purely on who the starters are at corner.  Depth is huge.  I can't even recall a season where all our corners made it through the year healthy  - let alone spread offenses and teams being so dominant as to playing 11 personnel -- it demands multiple guys.

I just looked up DRC on PFF and ironically they ranked him right there with Breeland in their top 50 FA rankings before FA. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-top-50-unrestricted-free-agents-heading-into-2018-free-agency

34. Junior Galette, edge, Washington Redskins

On 258 pass-rushing snaps, Galette recorded a total of 37 QB pressures, the third-most on the team. Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith rushed the passer on 180 and 110 more snaps than Galette did, showcasing just how well Galette rushed the passer on a per-snap basis.

35. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Washington Redskins

On 69 throws into his primary coverage, Breeland allowed just 49.3 percent of those passes to be caught and a passer rating of just 75.6 on those throws.

36. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, New York Giants

A down year in 2017 shouldn’t negate the fact that DRC has recording an amazing 131 career plays on the ball since 2008. His 33 interceptions and 98 pass breakups have all totaled up to a career passer rating when targeted of just 79.9.

23 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

This is exactly where I'm at.  I like that we're looking long term as well.  We have guys who are OUR guys.. I'd rather take a raw 23 year old guy who can develop, than a vet who's given me similar production in a small sample size.  

Thinking about that point -- my perspective on this team post Guice's injury isn't optimistic -- and thinking about it from that perspective not sure if it matters adding veteran depth.  If I thought they were a serious contender -- it seems to me a no brainer.  so I recant a little of my DRC enthusiasm from that point of view.  To me this is likely a year where we develop guys and we can hang onto that -- don't see this team making a playoff run anymore.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thinking about that point -- my perspective on this team post Guice's injury isn't optimistic -- do thinking about it from that perspective not sure if it matters adding veteran depth.  If I thought they were a serious contender -- it seems to me a no brainer.  so I recant a little of my DRC enthusiasm from that point of view.  To me this is likely a year where we develop guys and we can hang onto that -- don't see this team making a playoff run anymore.  

I thought it was Reed and CT who made the difference between 7 wins and 11? Guice hurt me as much as anybody, but the season isn't over after losing a rookie that has never suited up for us before.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Orlando rubbed people the wrong way. His trash talk didn’t match his play. Was pissing off players and coaches. Just not a good fit .

If that's true then icutting him makes sense.  I hope though that it doesn't come back to bite them if they're down to their 5th or 6th CB if or when the injuries hit

37 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I thought it was Reed and CT who made the difference between 7 wins and 11? Guice hurt me as much as anybody, but the season isn't over after losing a rookie that has never suited up for us before.

I focused on Reed and CT because those were the guys who were injury prone.   Losing Guice to me is WAY worse.  Heck I'd take losing Alex over Guice because I don't think the drop off from Alex and Colt is as steep as Guice versus Kelley. 

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect Guice to be lost for the season -- it wasn't even part of my mindset.   You've seen and commented on my gushing about Guice going on for a long time, I've told you directly in some of our exchanges Guice could be the X factor that propels this team into the playoffs. 

So yeah you take out who I think is potentially a top 5 RB and replace him with a RB who I think is easily bottom 5 -- and bring back the same exact crew who ranked 30th in the league last year on the ground -- with the Giants now having Barkley and the Cowboys having Elliot for a full year -- call me crazy but I am not brimming now with sunshine for the season. 

Sorry to vegetarians for the analogy but its the best I can think of -- its like going from Ruth's Steak House to McDonalds.  If people don't think Guice was all that -- then I understand why they disagree but I saw Guice as a game changer who would change our pathetic run game into something special.  Going back IMO to that pathetic 2017 configuration is depressing to me -- unless Bryan Marshall or Bibbs gets a shot -- not that I think they are the goods but at least their is some possibility there.  Thompson saying they he was told he won't be 100% until November (I get he's going to play through it anyway) and said that he still feels pain when he receives contact -- is the kicker to my pessimism about the running game.

So I've gone from sky high optimism about the running game to the reverse.  Killer injury.  And I am far from the only observer who thinks that.  Will see.  Hope am wrong.  I am still headed to the Arizona game (Guice was the main reason why I was going) and hope they surprise me.   I am looking at you Robert Kelley. :D

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thinking about that point -- my perspective on this team post Guice's injury isn't optimistic -- and thinking about it from that perspective not sure if it matters adding veteran depth.  If I thought they were a serious contender -- it seems to me a no brainer.  so I recant a little of my DRC enthusiasm from that point of view.  To me this is likely a year where we develop guys and we can hang onto that -- don't see this team making a playoff run anymore.  

As devastating as the Guice loss is, I still think we can make a push for the playoffs.  I just don't fear NYG and DAL.  Probably a bad idea on my part, but they are very beatable... The Eagles of course are very good, but we have very winnable games on our schedule.  If we can get into this season and beat Arizona (who has lost their starting C and has David Johnson coming off injury) and Indy (Andrew Luck's 2nd game back), then we can try and win 1 of the next 3 (GB, NO, Car) and we're 3-2 going into our first home game vs Dallas.  Win that, then beat NYG the next week and we're 5-2 and we're in the drivers seat.  I understand it's the NFC East, but we all know those are toss up games.  I don't think it's THAT far fetched to see it go down that way.  Of course knowing the Redskins, we'll lose both of those NFC East games and the season will be looking very gloomy. 

20 hours ago, bobandweave said:

The team needs to get creative and add some talent to the RB Depth. One way they could do that is to look at who is a free agent next season. If the team holding rights to these guys are not going to keep this player past this season then maybe they wouldn't mind moving one of these guys for a draft pick now:

Alex Collins
C.J. Anderson
Charles Sims
Jay Ajayi
Latavius Murray
Mark Ingram
Peyton Barber
Ty Montgomery

The best RB available who is in a contract year didn't make your list, the whole reason I said make a call about Tevin Coleman is the fact the Falcons gave Freeman $47M last year and there's no way in hell they can afford him after this season, once he's gone they won't get much more than a 4th round compensatory pick in return.

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, I recall some folks defending that move.  At least the team cut that loss early.

this is the reason why that move was defendable.  Because they were signing him as a piece of the D, who they could cut if necessary.  He was never some crucial player, who if he failed was going to ruin the Skins defense.

1 minute ago, carex said:

this is the reason why that move was defendable.  Because they were signing him as a piece of the D, who they could cut if necessary.  He was never some crucial player, who if he failed was going to ruin the Skins defense.

I consider slot corner to be crucial.  I don't think anyone ever thought it was a move that would sink the team $ wise, but I certainly didn't feel comfortable with him being the top option there.  It's imperative that the youngins step up.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I consider slot corner to be crucial.  I don't think anyone ever thought it was a move that would sink the team $ wise, but I certainly didn't feel comfortable with him being the top option there.  It's imperative that the youngins step up.

considering how early they cut him, I'd say he was never really the top option

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think they had this idea coming into camp with Moreau, but brought in Scandrick as an option just in case.  He was the 'best' CB on the market that fit that particular role, that we could get on the cheap.... not that he was their 'top' option, but we needed to see what we had.   

2 minutes ago, carex said:

considering how early they cut him, I'd say he was never really the top option

Just now, OVCChairman said:

I think they had this idea coming into camp with Moreau, but brought in Scandrick as an option just in case.  He was the 'best' CB on the market that fit that particular role, that we could get on the cheap.... not that he was their 'top' option, but we needed to see what we had.   

If what the beat guys are saying is true this was about him being an Ahole that didn't mesh well at all with the team.

Perhaps he was insurance if in the event Moreau didn't step up.  A really bad insurance policy but insurance none the less.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If what the beat guys are saying is true this was about him being an Ahole that didn't mesh well at all with the team.

Perhaps he was insurance if in the event Moreau didn't step up.  A really bad insurance policy but insurance none the less.

Outside of what we already gave up, not much of a better option out there for what we paid.

13 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Right now we have 7 picks. They’re projecting we pick up four compensatory picks because of the free agents we lost. We won’t know 100% for sure until next February but yeah, they’re gonna be right. It’s been so long since we’ve had a compensatory pick. The idea of having four is kind of mind blowing.

Disregard number of picks was already pointed out.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Speaking of which, what's the deal with Holsey?  I expected him to make a run at slot CB

EDIT:  Just saw he's on the PUP for a "freak" table injury.  I think he could step up this year as well.

27 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Speaking of which, what's the deal with Holsey?  I expected him to make a run at slot CB

EDIT:  Just saw he's on the PUP for a "freak" table injury.  I think he could step up this year as well.

I THINK he's likely out til week 8, and I think missing the season is a possibility

I focused on Reed and CT because those were the guys who were injury prone.   Losing Guice to me is WAY worse.  Heck I'd take losing Alex over Guice because I don't think the drop off from Alex and Colt is as steep as Guice versus Kelley. 

I really hope you aren't serious? This is coming from somebody who was just as pumped for Guice as anyone.

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect Guice to be lost for the season -- it wasn't even part of my mindset.   You've seen and commented on my gushing about Guice going on for a long time, I've told you directly in some of our exchanges Guice could be the X factor that propels this team into the playoffs. 

I think it's a bit naive to think a position such as RB wouldn't potentially be lost. I LOVE Guice too and am super bummed and think it hurts us. But one man does not make a football team.

So yeah you take out who I think is potentially a top 5 RB and replace him with a RB who I think is easily bottom 5 -- and bring back the same exact crew who ranked 30th in the league last year on the ground -- with the Giants now having Barkley and the Cowboys having Elliot for a full year -- call me crazy but I am not brimming now with sunshine for the season. 

This just seems reactionary based off of hype. Guice hadn't played a down for us. Barkley hasn't played a down for the Giants. The Giants and Cowboys also don't have the type of front 7 we have. No one expects you to be brimming with sunshine after the terrible Guice news, but let's not compare the RBs in the division only and act like we are screwed. 

Sorry to vegetarians for the analogy but its the best I can think of -- its like going from Ruth's Steak House to McDonalds.  If people don't think Guice was all that -- then I understand why they disagree but I saw Guice as a game changer who would change our pathetic run game into something special.  Going back IMO to that pathetic 2017 configuration is depressing to me -- unless Bryan Marshall or Bibbs gets a shot -- not that I think they are the goods but at least their is some possibility there.  Thompson saying they he was told he won't be 100% until November (I get he's going to play through it anyway) and said that he still feels pain when he receives contact -- is the kicker to my pessimism about the running game.

So I've gone from sky high optimism about the running game to the reverse.  Killer injury.  And I am far from the only observer who thinks that.  Will see.  Hope am wrong.  I am still headed to the Arizona game (Guice was the main reason why I was going) and hope they surprise me.   I am looking at you Robert Kelley. :D

I really don't even necessarily disagree. Guice is a game changer, the others are not. But we won 7 games with a walking hospital last year, could have quite easily been 9. There was no Guice then. So this whole Guice getting injured means the season is doomed seems a bit over reactive based off of your personal feelings toward the player. I know you say you like to give second year guys a chance to prove their worth, but i don't really buy it because you seem so dismissive of any player that doesn't have rave film reviews in year 1. Be honest, were you high on guys like Ioanidis and Fuller going into year 2? Moses? Trent Murphy? I'm not saying Perine will be a star, but many of us were excited about him getting drafted last year also. Let's see what he's got. Thompson is a star in his own right. And Marshall/Bibbs intrigue the heck out of me. Even if they all stink collectively as bad as last year, it is in fact possible to have a successful year and make the playoffs. See you in ZONA :cheers:

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Everyone remember a few years back when the Skins brought in Justin Rogers one year and Greg Toler the next?  They made the team but were barely used.  That's the kind of move I thought Scandrick was

27 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

No one expects you to be brimming with sunshine after the terrible Guice news, but let's not compare the RBs in the division only and act like we are screwed.

The disparity of talent between 

Zeke

Ajayi

Barkley

Compared to Robert Kelley is massive and a huge disadvantage for the Redskins.

I'm not saying Perine will be a star, but many of us were excited about him getting drafted last year also. Let's see what he's got.

If not for a penalty Perine would have had another fumble last week. Personally have seen enough

Thompson is a star in his own right. And Marshall/Bibbs intrigue the heck out of me. Even if they all stink collectively as bad as last year, it is in fact possible to have a successful year and make the playoffs. See you in ZONA :cheers:

Possible yes, but those players are not the type you can give the ball to 20 times a game week after week. There is a problem here they have to address or the season narrative won’t change.

They know what this group gave them last year. Is Alex that much better then Kirk to lift that group of guys to better then bottom four in the league this year? I don’t think so. They were 7-9 with these guys last year and some of them are already making the same mistakes they did last year. Sirens should be sounding off right now about this situation imo 

I didn't like the Scandrick signing and have nothing to add about him being released.  I don't believe he has had any bearing on the roster and was likely brought in to see what he might be able to add to the group.  He added nothing, so he's been released. 

As for being excited about rookies...well, they're still rookies and regardless of their natural abilities, you don't know what you've got until it plays out in the games that matter and against teams that are playing to win.   Simply getting excited about their potential is all we're doing and there's no problem with that.  Probably an issue to be guessing that a player will come in on day one and change your season.  That's probably the biggest issue with over hype of the rookie crush.  We all do it.  

I was very hopeful for Perine to come in and provide some power running game that would accentuate the CT factor.  Perine fumbles.  His next fumble might get him sent home.  I'm not putting much stock in Perine, though I was happy with that draft pick.  I'm viewing the RB situation as an intangible and hope that whomever shows up in the preseason gets what they deserve.  If the team can simply allow for the guy who is doing the best job to carry the ball and coach can run the appropriate running scheme for his ability, then I'd be happy with that.  

Running plays on 1st down are not an issue.  Running on 1st down more than 50% of the time is an issue.  Let's hope coach does a better job of mixing up the play calling moving forward.  I think his job depends on it.  

6 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I really hope you aren't serious? This is coming from somebody who was just as pumped for Guice as anyone.

I think it's a bit naive to think a position such as RB wouldn't potentially be lost. I LOVE Guice too and am super bummed and think it hurts us. But one man does not make a football team.

I guess I am a naive, then. :) I am sure the running game will be more than fine.   

This just seems reactionary based off of hype. Guice hadn't played a down for us. Barkley hasn't played a down for the Giants. The Giants and Cowboys also don't have the type of front 7 we have. No one expects you to be brimming with sunshine after the terrible Guice news, but let's not compare the RBs in the division only and act like we are screwed. 

I don't think our overall talent matches up to any team in the division with Kelley as the featured RB.  Sorry.  I know you feel differently.  That's cool.  And the are you serious comment you throw at me -- right back at you, I feel just as strongly the other way about you being off. 

Be honest, were you high on guys like Ioanidis and Fuller going into year 2? Moses? Trent Murphy?

I was the guy who actually picked Ionnaidis as their pick on the draft thread before it went down in the 5th round.  I'd say I was an Ionnaidis guy before it was cool to be one from literally day 1 of him being a Redskin.  I was cool with Moses.  I was ok with Fuller my only hesitation about him was Cooley who I recall really attacked his college tape but I trusted Scot.  As for Murphy I was back and forth on him. But high on him initially.  I don't BS as for my opinions -- you should know that for better or worse.  When I say I typically give a guy the next year -- I do but it doesn't mean I am optimistic but open minded.

But we won 7 games with a walking hospital last year, could have quite easily been 9. 

Look I get your opinion I've heard it many times -- the Raiders game, imagine if they were all healthy, this team is really really good if it caught some breaks.  I just don't buy into your hype as fact.  It's to me potential.  Yeah I know you really really like this roster.  I like but don't love this roster.  What I liked most about it previously was there really wasn't a glaring weakness as for a unit.  But I don't buy that anymore -- with Guice out, yeah my gut is the running game is closer to stinking than it will be good. 

And yeah there are plenty of teams that are effected by losing one player if its a key player and the drop off to the next man up is huge.  To me the drop off is indeed huge.    You don't think my opinion about the Giants would change if Barkley is out for the year and Jonathan Stewart is their featured back?  I'd feel the same.  I don't care if they played a snap yet in the NFL -- Barkley, Guice are billed as likely stars for a reason.   Many of the really good backs start off great right away.

I'm not saying Perine will be a star, but many of us were excited about him getting drafted last year also. Let's see what he's got. Thompson is a star in his own right. And Marshall/Bibbs intrigue the heck out of me. Even if they all stink collectively as bad as last year, it is in fact possible to have a successful year and make the playoffs. See you in ZONA :cheers:

Usually when the beat guys say this is what they are hearing -- it mostly bears out when it comes to players.  The Johnson hype for example at nickel, I've been hearing that for weeks.  On Perine at the moment, I don't love what some of the beat guys have said that they heard from the coaches about him.  Just a couple of days ago I said lets give Perine the reigns over Kelley but guys like Hoffman-Russell-Standig collectively explained why they are hearing Kelley will be the guy not Perine.

Archived