Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We seem to do really well with players that SF thinks are done.

Smith, Davis...

We should go shopping in SF more often.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm as hopeful about Smith as the next guy, but it seems a bit early to call our deal with him great when he hasn't finished his first training camp with us yet.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Uhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm as hopeful about Smith as the next guy, but it seems a bit early to call our deal with him great when he hasn't finished his first training camp with us yet.

It's a reflection of my high confidence in him.

I would bet money on it.

I see no reason whatsoever not to believe in him.

Hmm I am wondering if they have junior on standby with Anderson struggling with back issues .... although they are not the same player we might need McPhee more in first and second downs and then bring junior in as a pass rush option..

11 hours ago, skinsOLfan said:

Hankins was cut by the Colts because they're switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 front and they didn't feel like he fit their new scheme, had nothing to do with him being lazy or anything else.

The hankins Colts deal was only really a one year deal anyway dressed up as a three year doohicky  ... I just think mr Hankins needs to get a much better agent - because mr potson has totally misplayed the market 

On 7/27/2018 at 9:37 AM, Anselmheifer said:

Just to play Devil’s advocate, everyone here is saying that we should not sign Hankins because we need to save our cap room for Brandon Scherff’s new contract. There is very little positional value at guard.

I think Scherff’s contract is likely going to be at least 10-12 million per year? Would you rather spend that on a guard or spend it on a DT? 

I think a stats stats guy might let Scherff walk, take the comp pick, and spend less money on Hankins, who has more positional value. 

Pure lunacy! :hitfan:

Hail Em Up!

3 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

The hankins Colts deal was only really a one year deal anyway dressed up as a three year doohicky  ... I just think mr Hankins needs to get a much better agent - because mr potson has totally misplayed the market 

I'd go get him. Its only a matter of time before 2 of our guys go down. Or 3. You can't have too many monster D lineman.

7 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

He is a project camp arm. Why did anyone think otherwise?

Depends what you mean by "project arm". The team did give up something to acquire Hogan. Admittedly it wasn't much (swap of 6th round picks), but it was still something (interestingly, the Redskins swapped down from pick 188 to 205 to acquire Hogan. But then traded back up to 197 to pick Shaun Dion Hamilton. In retrospect, they could have just ignored Hogan and stayed at 188 and taken Hamilton).

The team also desperately could use a young arm at QB. With Smith at 34 and McCoy turning 32 before the season, it would be nice to have some youth at the position. As most teams want 3 QBs on the roster (even if one of them is on the practice squad) combined with the fact that no other QB is in camp, you'd think the odds of Hogan sticking around in some fashion are pretty high. Plus, McCoy was set to be a free agent after the season (no longer the case with his extension, but was the case when the team acquired Hogan), there's some thought as to who will be the back-up if/when McCoy leaves. For salary cap purposes, it would be far cheaper to have a younger player fill that role.

Hogan is a former 5th round pick who has played much of the last 2 seasons on Cleveland's active 53 man roster. So I think many thought he had a good shot at making the final 53 back in April. If reports are to be believed, his performance to date is not inspiring. That combined with McCoy's extension suggest the team is not particularly impressed with Hogan. At this point I doubt he makes the 53, but he is probably a prime candidate for the practice squad (because who else would the team bring in at this point?). Though I suppose if the team was looking for Cleveland's QB cast-offs, they maybe should have held out for Cody Kessler. Jacksonville got him for a conditional 7th rounder and he's a former 3rd round pick. 

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I would hate to see him go. ..god I hate even recommending it because I believe he's an up-and-coming excellent defensive end but I think Preston Smith and a second-rounder should land us Earl Thomas.. especially seeings how that one defensive end or whoever it was left for Philly..I mean philthy sorry

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

As much as I would hate to see him go. ..god I hate even recommending it because I believe he's an up-and-coming excellent defensive end but I think Preston Smith and a second-rounder should land us Earl Thomas.. especially seeings how that one defensive end or whoever it was left for Philly..I mean philthy sorry

Are you assuming smith is going to walk once he hits FA?  i am hoping the skins pay up to retain him, even if it's at 12 to 13 aav, but even if you are assuming Preston walks and it's essentially just for a 2nd (and the contract that we will give Thomas), I'm not sure I make the trade for a safety on the downside of his career.  Reminds me of Jason Taylor trade, although Taylor was older.

However, trading Preston and 2019 1st rounder for Khalil Mack, I'd jump at that, but I doubt the raiders would settle for that.  Maybe gruden is getting frustrated with the holdout and wants to set the tone for his next term?  Maybe throwing in Reed or Norman, who might not be skins at this time next year anyway, might do it?  Or another pick that's not a first rounder?  I know it's all speculation, but it's an interesting discussion.

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Are you assuming smith is going to walk once he hits FA?  i am hoping the skins pay up to retain him, even if it's at 12 to 13 aav, but even if you are assuming Preston walks and it's essentially just for a 2nd (and the contract that we will give Thomas), I'm not sure I make the trade for a safety on the downside of his career.  Reminds me of Jason Taylor trade, although Taylor was older.

However, trading Preston and 2019 1st rounder for Khalil Mack, I'd jump at that, but I doubt the raiders would settle for that.  Maybe gruden is getting frustrated with the holdout and wants to set the tone for his next term?  Maybe throwing in Reed or Norman, who might not be skins at this time next year anyway, might do it?  Or another pick that's not a first rounder?  I know it's all speculation, but it's an interesting discussion.

no I don't see Preston Smith going anywhere unless he's used in a trade if our intentions are to keep him then yeah they'll extend him.. I think Earl Thomas still has plenty in the tank.. don't get me wrong if we land Mac out of this and lose Norman or Smith though I'd hate to lose Norman.. I don't think Norman will be gone this time next year nor will reed(and i would freak if we traded kerrigan..hes gonna retire a skin..same as Trent)especially if reed and Smith, Alex Smith that is have a big year..

4 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

no I don't see Preston Smith going anywhere unless he's used in a trade if our intentions are to keep him then yeah they'll extend him.. I think Earl Thomas still has plenty in the tank.. don't get me wrong if we land Mac out of this and lose Norman or Smith though I'd hate to lose Norman.. I don't think Norman will be gone this time next year nor will reed(and i would freak if we traded kerrigan..hes gonna retire a skin..same as Trent)especially if reed and Smith, Alex Smith that is have a big year..

I hope smith, Reed, and Norman are here for a couple more years.  That means smith got extended, Norman remains elite, and Reed is staying healthy.  I think the only area we disagree is how much longer Thomas will remain elite, although Ed Reed stayed a beast for a long time, so you never know.  Another thing to think about is how addition of thomas effects roster.  I think it means we definitely keep five safeties.  Thomas and swearinger definitely won't play ST.  will Nicholson?  Makes you almost have to keep Everett for ST, and apke and blanding make 5.  And I'd hate to see them only keep 5 cbs, bc that means getting rid of a young kid with potential, so which position takes the hit?  Huge domino effect.  But if the price is right, there is confidence that ET can sustain success for a few more years, then that last guy on the roster probably won't matter too much.  Be interesting to see what happens.

I know I was being sarcastic in another thread about Roy Helu, Evan Royster, and Lache Seastrunk being better than what we have but.... Who we got out there? We just finished our first preseason game, there HAS to be someone out there. Alfred Morris certainly, but I refuse to believe there's no one better than Kelley, Bibbs, Marshall, and Perine.

26 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I know I was being sarcastic in another thread about Roy Helu, Evan Royster, and Lache Seastrunk being better than what we have but.... Who we got out there? We just finished our first preseason game, there HAS to be someone out there. Alfred Morris certainly, but I refuse to believe there's no one better than Kelley, Bibbs, Marshall, and Perine.

Fans could run better than fatass Rob or the fumbling bumbling Perine, at this point Jones would be an upgrade over those two

Archived