Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

33 minutes ago, carex said:

it's irresponsible to make claims about the 2019 draft when the 2018 season hasn't been played

What part of they have 11 picks next draft are you saying is irresponsible for me to speak about? That’s all I said about the draft. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/4/27/17289736/the-redskin-front-office-draft-pick-accumulators-and-thats-a-good-thing

just one of many articles out there saying they have that many picks next year. I believe they have that many picks, how many do you think they have?

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

What part of they have 11 picks next draft are you saying is irresponsible for me to speak about? That’s all I said about the draft. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/4/27/17289736/the-redskin-front-office-draft-pick-accumulators-and-thats-a-good-thing

just one of many articles out there saying they have that many picks next year. I believe they have that many picks, how many do you think they have?

Right now we have 7 picks. They’re projecting we pick up four compensatory picks because of the free agents we lost. We won’t know 100% for sure until next February but yeah, they’re gonna be right. It’s been so long since we’ve had a compensatory pick. The idea of having four is kind of mind blowing.

3 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Right now we have 7 picks. They’re projecting we pick up four compensatory picks because of the free agents we lost. We won’t know 100% for sure until next February but yeah, they’re gonna be right. It’s been so long since we’ve had a compensatory pick. The idea of having four is kind of mind blowing.

actually right now we have six picks.  Adonis Alexander in the supplementary draft cost us a sixth

19 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I feel like our backs are better than they are getting credit for.  They're not game breakers.  They're not ever going to take over a game and absolutely dominate.  Those RBs are not easy to find, and we may have had one in Guice, but we have to wait another year to find out.  What they AREN'T is terrible.  I actually don't think we'd be better off with AP or Alf.  Alf made his hay under Shanny, and AP is still a free agent for a reason.  If our O-line can stay healthy enough, and Smith can be handed the ability to adjust at the line, I think we will see better output.  I think a lot of the playcalling last year was what held back the production numbers from the RBs because they were running into a stacked front.  If Smith has the freedom to hot route or audible in or out of a run play when necessary... It could be big.  

I just watched that Kelley cut he had a huge hole on the right ultimately but yeah unlike his first carry he didn't just run right into traffic.  I can't think of any running back that has poor vision on every play.  But I've re-watched enough Kelley cuts from last year to be convinced that the dude doesn't have it.  I think you either have vision or you don't.   I got my doubts about Perine, too based on last year but I like to give rookies a year learning experience -- doesn't give me a lot of confidence though if some of the beat guys are right and the coaching stuff has serious doubts about Perine, though.

The problem I have on selling optimism is we have to win in this division to have a shot at the playoffs and I don't see how we improve on the 1-5 record against the NFC East with the same crew versus the Giants now having Barkley and the Cowboys having Elliot for the whole year.  The Giants have beaten us multiple times (Dallas, too) when they can control the clock against us -- and they did it with scrubs, imagine now with Barkley?  And I doubt Payne solves the problem against them because Barkley is more of an outside zone runner as opposed to inside type.  I loved the prospect of matchup of Guice versus Barkley -- but Kelley versus Barkley, yuck.   And yeah I know there is more to winning than the running game but I don't think we are exactly killing it versus the division as to passing weapons either unless Reed ends up healthy. 

Bibbs to me and Marshall are my hope or some mystery dude they pick up.  The problem with the backs last year weren't that they didn't dominate but it was they were the 30th ranked running back crew.  It wasn't that they were mediocre but just not special but it was they were bad.  Maybe that will turnaround - but Kelley is the guy I am ruling out on that front.  Marshall and Bibbs, maybe.  I had some hope with Perine (in spite of his almost dead last ranking on DVOA) but listening to beat guys say he might not have even made the roster before Guice's injury and they don't trust him has made me pause.  Hopefully, they are wrong about that. 

As for them running against a stacked front.  I really didn't pay attention to that -- it would seem weird to me to stack the front a lot to stop the Redskins running game.  But its possible because of situational running where it often seems obvious when we were going to run.  I can see it so for Perine because he was in there for a bunch of short yardage situations. I can see it on first down since Jay runs so much on first.   The best I can find is this below.  Interesting that Darkwa (FA) was one of the guys facing a large percentage of stacked fronts. 

ffBc_dw9_bigger.pngRotoUnderworld @rotounderworld
FollowingFollowing @rotounderworld
More

Highest stacked front (8+ LB/DL) carry rates: 1. Marshawn Lynch: 21.3% 2. Chris Ivory: 17.9% 3. Leonard Fournette: 16.8% 4. Adrian Peterson: 14.1% 5. Jonathan Stewart: 11.1% 5. Javorius Allen: 11.1% 7. Darkwa: 10.5% 8. Collins: 10.4% 9. Gillislee: 8.7% 10. Henry: 8.5%

9 hours ago, TheShredder said:

They've got to get 1 yard more per carry and add about 5 more carries per game.  That's it.  A healthy line and continuity can deliver that 1 yard increase in the average over the course of a season.  It's not about rushing TD's, nor is it about 1,000 yard rushers.  It comes down to the consistent OL play.  If 4 out of the 5 Lineman are suiting up over a 16 game season they'll get what they need from the running game. Not worried about that because you can't do anything more now except go with what you've got.  Keeping a consistent OL group on the field is the key.  

and if Gruden remembers the running game is there.  He's a pass first coach and he has to get over that

I wouldn't be at all opposed to releasing John Q. Nobody so we can bring in somebody like darkwa for the rest of camp for a look but I also wouldn't be opposed to going into the regular season with what we have. 

Team chemistry is an often overlooked aspect of these things,  chemistry takes time to develop and these guys have been playing and and practicing together for a while now and it would have an unknown effect bringing in someone new.

The marginal upgrade in talent may not be worth it. 

I actually think they will use this game (the Jets game) as a barometer to figure out where they are at RB - (which is not in the best of places) and then when we break camp and start having more closed practices they might bring some guys in to try out... 

Our running game is not going to be good this year - which sucks - I had unrealistically high expectations for Giuce - but factors lead into the running game being terrible last year - not least of which was the rotating offensive line issues, and the fact that the RBs themselves kept getting injured - I can not see a scenario where we come out of the next two games with the guys we have intact - it is just how it goes and has gone with us.  

Perine and Kelly are bruising backs but they lack vision - I still have hope with Perine but he has to show something that he is clearly not doing in practice....   

1 minute ago, carex said:

and if Gruden remembers the running game is there.  He's a pass first coach and he has to get over that

With me with Jay, I like him a lot as a play caller.  I think Callahan calls the runs and on that front IMO too predictable.  13 personnel sets.  First downs.  Too much reliance on the duo -- which requites TEs holding the edges.   They like to run a 2nd time right after a successful run.  I never tried to chart their runs but I suspect opposing defensive coordinators can sort of get a feel for the play calling on the ground.   It's a whole different story as to the passing game which I think is hard to predict and stop.

They had a really good play action game regardless because IMO Kirk and the O line was good at selling the run.  I presume and hope they won't miss a beat on that front with Alex and the wrinkle of read option might make the run a little more unpredictable. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for them running against a stacked front.  I really didn't pay attention to that -- it would seem weird to me to stack the front to stop the Redskins running game.  But maybe?  I can see it on first down since Jay runs so much on first.   The best I can find is this below.  Interesting that Darkwa (FA) was one of the guys facing a large percentage of stacked fronts. 

ffBc_dw9_bigger.pngRotoUnderworld @rotounderworld
FollowingFollowing @rotounderworld
More

Highest stacked front (8+ LB/DL) carry rates: 1. Marshawn Lynch: 21.3% 2. Chris Ivory: 17.9% 3. Leonard Fournette: 16.8% 4. Adrian Peterson: 14.1% 5. Jonathan Stewart: 11.1% 5. Javorius Allen: 11.1% 7. Darkwa: 10.5% 8. Collins: 10.4% 9. Gillislee: 8.7% 10. Henry: 8.5%

I'm with you on Kelley.  His vision does worry me, but that run he had was nice.  Something you see that makes you HOPE he's been working on his RB IQ as much as he has his body. 

I do however think we can be successful against our division because while yes, the Giants added Barkley, but they're O-line is anchored by a rookie, 2 guys you've never heard of, Ereck Flowers, and the highest paid tackle in football.  They just dont scare me.  They probably SHOULD because they're the Giants, but for some reason I'm not worried about them.  The same with Dallas having lost Dez and Witten.  Dak has nobody to throw to, and they're gonna kill him and Zeke if they aren't careful.  Philly obviously worries me... but I absolutely see us capable of going 4-2 or 3-3 within the division.  Of course we're the Redskins and we pick the weirdest times to play well for divisional games, but who knows?   

Regarding the 'stacked front' it was the wrong term for me to use.  My point was that defenses did not fear us beating them over the top, so they were constantly focused on the LOS and attacking down hill.  They may have only had 7 guys in the box, but without any real threat behind them, the LBS and S can take that extra half second to focus on the RB and attack run plays.  That's why the PA was so effective last year.  How else can you explain a VERY effective PA, yet a very ineffective run game?  If we can use Richardson and Doctson to stretch the field more, it's got the ability to open up the run game.  If the FS has to drop back an additional 5 - 7 yards to account for a guy like Richardson, that's additional time / space we have to work with.  That allows us to get the blocker to the 2nd level, get a guy like Perine through the initial line instead of running into a wall.  

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, I recall some folks defending that move.  At least the team cut that loss early.

Me not among them.  I thought it was a meh signing.   I did like the McPhee and Richardson signing.  Overall, I'd grade their FA as a D this off season. I was disappointed, I did like the 2017 FA crop for a change.  But 2018 to me is same old same old -- in short it was not enough. 

The positives here is hopefully it means that Danny Johnson is the goods.  I like that they have some young corners but worry about depth. Corner is one position that you almost always test the depth. 

Catching up with Finlay's tweets among them they have reached out recently to DRC -- the dude isn't young but IMO he's much better than Scandrick.  He's one of the guys I wanted this off season.

When it comes to the corner debate sometimes I get hit with is don't you like Dunbar?  My response is yeah I like Dunbar but I like depth especially when it comes to DT and CB -- there is typically much attrition at that position let alone sometimes you need 3 or even 4 corners on the field at the same time.

1. Doesn’t mean he’s coming. But there is interest. Also means this Scandrick move didn’t happen overnight

ead

#Redskins reached out to Dominique Rodgers Cromartie last week, per source.

Here’s the truth: Scandrick never fit in with Redskins defense. Players, coaches, they just didn’t get along. A veteran with a big opinion. Doesn’t always work out.

4. More

Redskins really like their young corners. That’s true. Dominique Rodgers Cromartie also remains unsigned. That’s true too.

9 replies20 retweets68 likes

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, I recall some folks defending that move.  At least the team cut that loss early.

I felt like the Scandrick signing was a response to DRC not taking their offer. I didn't mind the idea of having another vet in the room for depth (if needed), but I'm definitely glad we didn't need OS this year.

I'm glad the younger players performed well enough to push him out.

I still wouldn't be against bringing in DRC for the right price.

6 minutes ago, Tay said:

I felt like the Scandrick signing was a response to DRC not taking their offer. I didn't mind the idea of having another vet in the room for depth (if needed), but I'm definitely glad we didn't need OS this year.

I'm glad the younger players performed well enough to push him out.

I still wouldn't be against bringing in DRC for the right price.

Apparently, Scandrick also didn't fit in with the team.  From the bits and pieces I read, it would appear he had too much opinion, not enough play.

I'd agree though on DRC.  Obviously it'd be great if the cheap youngins take care of it but that's a lot to expect.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I had/have no problem with them signing Scandrick. He was virtually free insurance policy that they decided quickly they did not need. No harm what so ever bringing him in. There is $1M in dead money but adds $1.5M in CAP savings. I do agree it's good they see it early and moved on. 

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I had/have no problem with them signing Scandrick. He was virtually free insurance policy that they decided quickly they did not need. No harm what so ever bringing him in. There is $1M in dead money but adds $1.5M in CAP savings. I do agree it's good they see it early and moved on. 

Yep exactly. Their approach to FA very much seems to be let's kick the tires on a bunch of guys to serve as veteran insurance in case the homegrown youngins aren't ready, or who knows maybe we uncover somebody. But they move on quickly if it doesn't work out. Very similar to what the Patriots do actually.

I know the FO gets criticized for their performance in FA, but I don't think for a second that they are watching film on a guy like Scandrick in the offseason and are convinced he's an upgrade. He was a body and camp competition. I had serious doubts Scandrick was going to make it myself because of Moreau/Dunbar. Sounds like he was also a character, so glad they cut their losses. If DRC would take 3-4 a year, I wouldn't be upset. But I'm totally cool rolling with the young guys behind J-No.

1.) Norman

2.) Dunbar

3.) Moreau

4.) Johnson

5.) Alexander

With Holsey coming off PUP at some point.

16 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Yep exactly. Their approach to FA very much seems to be let's kick the tires on a bunch of guys to serve as veteran insurance in case the homegrown youngins aren't ready, or who knows maybe we uncover somebody. But they move on quickly if it doesn't work out. Very similar to what the Patriots do actually.

I know the FO gets criticized for their performance in FA, but I don't think for a second that they are watching film on a guy like Scandrick in the offseason and are convinced he's an upgrade. He was a body and camp competition. I had serious doubts Scandrick was going to make it myself because of Moreau/Dunbar. Sounds like he was also a character, so glad they cut their losses. If DRC would take 3-4 a year, I wouldn't be upset. But I'm totally cool rolling with the young guys behind J-No.

1.) Norman

2.) Dunbar

3.) Moreau

4.) Johnson

5.) Alexander

With Holsey coming off PUP at some point.

Don't be surprised if Stroman finds his way into that group... especially with his ability to return punts and kicks.  

6 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Totally blanked on him! Yup he will be in the mix as well with one of them maybe going on the PS.

And gruden also mentioned texada as one of the reasons he let scandrick go but nobody seems to reporting on him at all in camp

Archived