Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you want McVay back in 2017???

Renegade7

Do you want Sean McVay back as Redskins OC in 2017???  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Sean McVay back as Redskins OC in 2017???

Matt Cavanaugh is on board, and as the mentor for the QBs, I think he'll continue to do a fantastic job. And if called upon to assume play-calling duties, I would trust him to do an effective job as Boy Wonder's replacement. That makes me rather ambivalent about whether our OC comes back next season or not. It's not as if we're going to lose his offense. This is Jay's offense, after all.

Hey, this is what position coaches all aim for -- that shot to be a HC. I'm rooting for him because he wears the burgundy & gold. I hope he gets to realize his dream, and that he ends up with an organization that'll fully support what he's trying to accomplish. And when he makes that leap, I hope he'll put down the cell phone and just focus on his work. No need for self-promotion; let your work do the talking.

I think this is another poll that I think is just plain stupid.  Apologies for being so frank!

So we made the playoff last year and just missed the playoffs this year despite having one of the worst defenses in franchise history in both years... actually we finished with winning record for two straight seasons....  I guess people are frustrated because we had a such a "winning" culture in past 20 years!  

This is same level of question as asking f we should let Cousins walk or if we should move on from our current GM/HC....  

Guys... Why are we in such a hurry to blow things up???  Defense I can understand but this desire to blow everything up just doesn't make any sense...

3 hours ago, sjinhan said:

I think this is another poll that I think is just plain stupid.  Apologies for being so frank!

So we made the playoff last year and just missed the playoffs this year despite having one of the worst defenses in franchise history in both years... actually we finished with winning record for two straight seasons....  I guess people are frustrated because we had a such a "winning" culture in past 20 years!  

This is same level of question as asking f we should let Cousins walk or if we should move on from our current GM/HC....  

Guys... Why are we in such a hurry to blow things up???  Defense I can understand but this desire to blow everything up just doesn't make any sense...

I don't think this is stupid question nor the same as talking about getting rid of Cousins.  I do believe between Jay and Callahan, they come come up with better run plays, more WCO, and better redzone calls then McVay who very well could end up leaving anyway.  Offense was not perfect, far from it.  I wouldn't be mad if he left, I don't believe we'd go backwards here.

3 hours ago, sjinhan said:

Completely agree...if Snyder has a decent head on his shoulders no one will walk...except Barry...he should be running..

I wouldn't say McVay is so much the problem as it is the personnel. You can't have a successful redzone offense with smurf receivers. DJax must go, he's not a number one wide receiver. He essentially a slot guy and we have a younger cheaper version of that. It's also why the Eagles struggled in the redzone for all those years. Also, DJax is a horrible run blocker....absolutely horrible!

I like Garcon, hopefully we can work something out. If Dotson can stay healthy next year, we'll be better in the redzone. The only legitimate threat we have down there is Reed and Davis, Reed can't stay healthy. Give McVay some good weapons for redzone offense, it'll improve.

This is getting Ridiculous.  For years we (Fan Base) have been SCREAMING for a real rebuilding process.  For consistency as opposed to always trying to spend our way to a quick fix.  

Back to back winning seasons for the first time in almost 20 years.  Half a game out of the playoffs with a terribile defense that we 100% ignored the focus on.  One of the top offenses in the league with all sorts of franchisee records and this board is full of "Get rid of the OC! Let the QB walk!!"

The FUNNEST thing is then its usually followed up with "Im ok with spending the next 2 years rebuilding..."

NO..NO YOU ARENT!! You have proved that because we are AHEAD of schedule in THIS rebuilding and you are screaming to blow it up!!

*"YOU" is not any one poster but the overall posts of many....

This is a general question that I've never really known the answer to- is it McVay's scheme or Gruden's? And who is actually calling the plays? 

I LOVE the route trees- whoever is responsible for those, then I want them back. 

whoever is responsible for the dive plays, or the end zone fades, or horribly executed screen passes- they can go suck a lemon.

as a general rule, I would prefer continuity here assuming a) we're tagging or extending colt, and B.) we're firing Barry

McVay comes off to me like another in the Kyle Shanahan mold.  The next generation of new, young, brilliant-minded coordinators who know how to design really good schemes and designs, however too often get caught up in trying to get too cute in the actual play calling department.  They are guys that at this stage in their careers you have to decide whether you are willing to allow them to learn their growing pains under your watch or not.

Quick question for you all saying we passed to much.

Was Joe Gibbs a running coach or passing?

Answer -He was both.

What made Gibbs so GREAT (And a lot of coaches so great) is they would review their players, review what they were good at, and design a game plan that made the most of their talent and minimized their weakness.

Its great to say "We need to run more". But if Running more just lead to more 3 and outs or 3rd and longs because our talent was in the passing game - then is that really the way to go?? 

Offense sets team records two years in a row.

I'll take him.

I think the triumvirate of Gruden, McVay and Cousins are worth keeping. Development requires time, and the chemistry is there.

I think it's premature for him to be a head coach, but i only base that off of gut feeling. He's only been a coordinator for two seasons, and i don't see it as adequate prep for being a head coach. 
'Course, Denver has a defense that can mask a lot of deficiencies.

~Bang

My one complaint with McVay is that he seems to never be able to deviate from the script. I am not just referring to the game plan, but also the idea of adding some misdirection/ trick plays into our playbook. I am not advocating for a hook and ladder or flea flicker every game, but during the times where our O goes stagnant (Giants, Panthers games) why not try to get the offense flowing with something out of the ordinary?

Another gripe -- it seems as if every run is right up the gut. Can we please incorporate some jet-sweeps, tosses, etc to at least keep the opposition guessing? 

Sweet Jesus if we attempt another low percentage 50 yard bomb play on 3rd and 1 I'm going on a 3 state killing spree. 

The guy is obviously an asset.  I like how they call things that play to Cousins strength.  Hopefully he can find a cure for this cute play calling and we can challenge next year with a better defense.

Guys, the fact that McVay has been consistently praised in the NFL media, and that he's being interviewed for two HC jobs means he's doing alright.  At 30 years old.

I want that on my team, growing and learning his craft.

He DOES have to figure out the RZ before next season though.

He has lots of good plays in his playbook.

He just needs to get better about situational awareness.  

Right now his biggest weaknesses are:

- not taking advantage of momentum on turnovers

- not gameplanning his playbook to take advantage of other teams injuries, where backups are playing, mismatches etc.

- Predictability on when a running play will occur.

Archived