MassSkinsFan

NFL.com: Browns waive Manziel (and other Browns related stuff--MET)

Recommended Posts

Thank ****ing god I was poor and unknown when I was that age.

 

Yeah but there are 32 first round picks every year and most of them have their heads on straight. Johnny is a rare kind of hot mess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but there are 32 first round picks every year and most of them have their heads on straight. Johnny is a rare kind of hot mess.

 

I'm assuming KoolBlue was a rare kind of hot mess at that age, too, just without any funds to maximize the mess and make it grow lol...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Browns name RGIII starter.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/sports/football/browns-name-robert-griffin-iii-as-starting-quarterback.html?_r=0

CLEVELAND — There were plenty of signs pointing to Robert Griffin III’s being named the Cleveland Browns’ starting quarterback.

 

Coach Hue Jackson, who had promised to reveal his top quarterback before the team’s first preseason game, on Friday against Green Bay, decided to make it official on Monday.

 

“It’s time,” Jackson said. “Robert has earned the right to be named the starting quarterback of the Cleveland Browns. He fully understands the responsibility, and I feel he is ready to handle this role.”

 

Griffin beat out 37-year-old Josh McCown for the starting job, leaving McCown’s future with the Browns in doubt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Griffin got the starting QB spot, but he had that last year at this time as well.

We know how that ended up. :)

I hope Jackson didn't set this in stone.

Edited by SkinsGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hue Jackson as the new head coach has a lot on his plate.   He had to make this move.  RGIII is still a name and at this point the benefit of doubt given him as a result of change of scenery is in play.   He'll get people watching, which is kind of one of the goals of the league and its partners.   Not much else to say  about a rebuilding org.   

 Coach Jackson may actually get something done in Cleveland.   I didn't make a study of his one year stint as head coach of the Raiders but I did see a couple-few games and my eye-test impression was that his team had some more competitive fight and fire than comparable Raiders teams of that immediate era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, starting Griffin was more or less a no-brainer, unless he just vomited all over himself in training camp or something lol...

The browns are a rebuilding, rebooting team with a young roster and a new head coach. If McCown reaches his ceiling this season they might go 7-9, but he's toast after this year due to his age. If Griffin reaches his ceiling this year they might go 9-7 but will have in him a much younger QB they can continue to develop next season and extend the season after that if they are wanting to. This season is as much an assessment as it is anything else...try and see if Griffin can be salvaged, try and see which of their 142 WRs can catch lol...try and see if their arrow can be said to be pointing up at the end of the season instead of swirling around in a circle.

And as said above, even if they're still losing Griffin alone will make the Browns relevant, at least for awhile. Nobody anywhere is gonna give two ****s about the Browns losing week after week with McCown behind center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the very least, you can expect some sort of offense with RGIII chucking it up to Corey Coleman and trying to get a track meet started- that's about all of the hope I have for the offense for the Browns, though if RGIII is humbled from what happened with us, I wish him nothing but the best.  This is a team that is clearly rebuilding, and if RGIII works out for them, then they have a QB moving forward.  If not, it isn't like it was all of the sudden a lost season for them. 

As for Jackson, I hope Haslam stays out of things and lets the football guys do their thing.  I think Jackson can be a successful coach, I just don't know why he picked the Browns where he gets to deal with another crazy owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert started hot, then ended the drive with an INT across the middle on the 1 yard line. Hard to tell who's fault though, it looked like the TE cut off his route when he should have cut hard into middle of field, and he also never looked back for the ball, but there may have been way too much traffic to even attemp that throw.  His first throw to Pryor might have actually gone for a TD if Pryor didn't fall down to make the catch.

 

That said, RG3 mostly looked like the QB we remember,  pretty efficient when the 1st read is open and it's  quick pass, but it all changes when he has to sit back in the pocket and scan the field.

 

Edited by NoCalMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Robert started hot, then ended the drive with an INT across the middle on the 1 yard line. Hard to tell who's fault though, it looked like the TE cut off his route when he should have cut hard into middle of field, and he also never looked back for the ball, but there may have been way too much traffic to even attemp that throw.  His first throw to Pryor might have actually gone for a TD if Pryor didn't fall down to make the catch.

 

That said, RG3 mostly looked like the QB we remember,  pretty efficient when the 1st read is open and it's  quick pass, but it all changes when he has to sit back in the pocket and scan the field.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06LE_4UEUts

Definitely looked like the TE cut it off. Weird, he planted to make the cut and look like he stumbled a bit.

Edited by STBonecrusher21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

That said, RG3 mostly looked like the QB we remember,  pretty efficient when the 1st read is open and it's  quick pass, but it all changes when he has to sit back in the pocket and scan the field.

 

Just now catching the replay. Nice opening shot downfield but he's getting the **** knocked out of himself as he releases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TK said:

Just now catching the replay. Nice opening shot downfield but he's getting the **** knocked out of himself as he releases. 

 

Yup, that's what I saw as well. He inexplicably gets hit on almost every single pass, and each hit looks devastating. I hope he doesn't hurt himself again. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

 

Yup, that's what I saw as well. He inexplicably gets hit on almost every single pass, and each hit looks devastating. I hope he doesn't hurt himself again. :/

Over/Under= 4 games.

 

I'll take the under.

He's going to be playing behind Joe Thomas and 2-4 turnstyles, and thats before RG3 makes them looks 15x worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It still seems curious why the Browns would hand him the starting job.  They dont watch the film?  Hasnt played in a year, the last game film wasnt impressive.  The tape alone should warrant a competition through a few preseason games, even if he's the frontrunner going in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It still seems curious why the Browns would hand him the starting job.  They dont watch the film?  Hasnt played in a year, the last game film wasnt impressive.  The tape alone should warrant a competition through a few preseason games, even if he's the frontrunner going in.

The competition is content. McCown supposedly told Hue to start Robert.

Its unfortunate. I don't think Rob can change his game from the starter position. Coaches just try to change the offense to meet his shortcomings. Doomed, but I'm rooting for him

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It still seems curious why the Browns would hand him the starting job.  They dont watch the film?  Hasnt played in a year, the last game film wasnt impressive.  The tape alone should warrant a competition through a few preseason games, even if he's the frontrunner going in.

What do the Browns have to lose?

You are certain what you are going to get with McCown.  Atleast with Griffin, you have a former #2 overall pick ROY to align with the QB whisperer in Jackson.  If anyone's going to revive his career  it's him.  If not, they have a high pick to find a guy in 2017.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What do the Browns have to lose?

You are certain what you are going to get with McCown.  Atleast with Griffin, you have a former #2 overall pick ROY to align with the QB whisperer in Jackson.  If anyone's going to revive his career  it's him.  If not, they have a high pick to find a guy in 2017.  

 

Football games?  The object of the exercise is still to win, is it not?  Even if expectations are low. 

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  If he proves to be the best choice, so be it.  I just don't think it serves Griffin or the Browns if he doesn't play his way into the starting job and earn it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per TMZ...

 

RG3 eating bowl of cereal this morning and banged knee on table. Seen grasping and MRI pending, stay tuned.

 

 

 

 

J/K, but seriously, how in the world does he seem to take a career ender every game. Now I can say it without holding my breath, this kid is just not built for NFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I taped the game (repeat) on NFL net, but I'd of liked to see that 1st hit? I don't think they showed a replay of the actual hit, but it looked like the usual RGIII scraping himself off the turf afterwards.. Poor dude gets lit up just about every play.. It was rather amusing watching a different team shoot themselves in the foot though.. Run into the punter to extend one drive, then fumble the kick/punt after a safety on the next.. Oof.. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

I taped the game (repeat) on NFL net, but I'd of liked to see that 1st hit? I don't think they showed a replay of the actual hit, but it looked like the usual RGIII scraping himself off the turf afterwards.. Poor dude gets lit up just about every play.. It was rather amusing watching a different team shoot themselves in the foot though.. Run into the punter to extend one drive, then fumble the kick/punt after a safety on the next.. Oof.. lol

He gets hit like that because he doesn't sense the pressure (actually moves to it) and doesn't let go of the ball till the last second (holds it too long).

So he gets nailed.

I saw the same Griffin that we got frustrated with here. So much athletic ability, but just doesn't do well in the pocket.

I think he finished 4-8 for about 60+ yards and an INT.

Edited by SkinsGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.