Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Browns waive Manziel (and other Browns related stuff--MET)

MassSkinsFan

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

It still seems curious why the Browns would hand him the starting job.  They dont watch the film?  Hasnt played in a year, the last game film wasnt impressive.  The tape alone should warrant a competition through a few preseason games, even if he's the frontrunner going in.

It's because they aren't fans, they're coaches.

And his closest competition went 1-4 for 5 yards, is 36 years old and has zero to offer the franchise past this year (and has barely anything to offer them this year). McCown's biggest asset to any team is being their backup.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

It's because they aren't fans, they're coaches.

And his closest competition went 1-4 for 5 yards, is 36 years old and has zero to offer the franchise past this year (and has barely anything to offer them this year). McCown's biggest asset to any team is being their backup.

Two sets of coaches (and probably half the league) basically thought he couldn't play.  Its got nothing to do with fans.

But that's not even my point.  My point is about competition.  The last time he got handed the job without competing for it, you saw how that turned out.  It'd be one thing if he were their 1st rd pick they were hitching their wagon to, but he isnt.  

Edited by justice98

Looked like the exact same QB we have seen. Throws a pretty ball if his first read is open. After that, look out. The game is too fast for him. Maybe it will slow down for him at some point, but only if he survives the gazillion hits he's going to take.

Guy attracts contact like no QB I have ever seen. Kirk probably takes less hits in a season than RG3 does in a game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Two sets of coaches (and probably half the league) basically thought he couldn't play.  Its got nothing to do with fans.

But that's not even my point.  My point is about competition.  The last time he got handed the job without competing for it, you saw how that turned out.  It'd be one thing if he were their 1st rd pick they were hitching their wagon to, but he isnt.  

And one set of coaches apparently thinks he CAN play. Fans follow conventional wisdom. Coaches tend to follow their own assessments. That's what it has to do with fans.

As for competition, even McCown said it's best for the team for whatever competition there is to be over asap.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

And one set of coaches apparently thinks he CAN play.

Yeah, about that... it's been a while since watching RGIII play but doesn't he have a top quality throwing arm?  Of the stretch-the-field variety?  I'm thinking Hue Jackson and Pep Hamilton realize the pass-happy nature of the league, hence the 142 receivers and a cannon arm to get it to 'em are what they're going for.

And a settled starter at QB means desperately needed reps  are regularly apportioned properly.   I say "desperately" because the team needs to build chemistry and they're way behind their division rivals in that regard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, velocet said:

Yeah, about that... it's been a while since watching RGIII play but doesn't he have a top quality throwing arm?  Of the stretch-the-field variety?  I'm thinking Hue Jackson and Pep Hamilton realize the pass-happy nature of the league, hence the 142 receivers and a cannon arm to get it to 'em are what they're going for.

And a settled starter at QB means desperately needed reps  are regularly apportioned properly.   I say "desperately" because the team needs to build chemistry and they're way behind their division rivals in that regard. 

Pretty much yeah to all of that.

Doesn't even come close to meaning Griffin will start succeeding but I do get the logic behind the coaches' decisions and actions.

I'm proud of RG3.  Going 4/8 for 67 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, and 1 fumble was arguably his best preseason performance since 2012, capping it off with his team taking a 2 point lead on the interception he threw.  He's really coming back strong.  It's an unconventional way to score points but I admire Griffin's desire to put points on the board no matter what it does to his own personal stat sheet.  In the preseason since 2012, Griffin has thrown 3 INTs, fumbled 5 times, and scored 0 TDs.  He is averaging fewer than 1.6 adjusted net yards per attempt since 2012, and if we were to penalize fumbles at the same rate as INTs, his career ANY/A in preseason would actually be negative.

Among QBs who were penciled in as their team's day 1 starter, RG3 could potentially have the worst preseason stat line in NFL history.  I haven't done the research, but I can't imagine there are many guys out there who were crowned as day 1 starters on 5 separate occasions whose career preseason stat line is worse than this:

43/72 (59%) for 445 yards (6.2 y/a), 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 10 sacks, and 7 fumbles.

Edited by ncr2h
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

* can't tell if that's actually a serious post...any time you throw an interception and fumble the football, and score 0 TDs, it's a bad performance. The only reason they got that 2 points was cause their defense was able to tackle the guy in the end zone for a 1 yard loss. 

He was being sarcastic. :)

20 hours ago, velocet said:

That is why they drafted Corey Coleman with a first rounder this year and people thought it was a reach......they wanted to establish the deep pass threat. 

22 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I do get the logic behind the coaches' decisions and actions.

Right, because...

3 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

That is why they drafted Corey Coleman with a first rounder this year and people thought it was a reach......they wanted to establish the deep pass threat. 

which in turn answers the question...

On 8/13/2016 at 8:34 AM, justice98 said:

They dont watch the film? 

Must have been when examining tape before the Browns even signed him they were all "that arm tho'".   

Teams run vanilla plays during the preseason as we all know for reasons we understand but I think coach and coordinator wanted that awesome 49 yard pass against the Packers in the first preseason game on film for the benefit of this season's opponents.   If there is any credible deep passing game it means defenses have that much more real estate to account for, and they hate when the O gets something behind them.   This obviously benefits the running game when the opposition's D can't regularly commit more numbers in the box.  

If Rob, Pep and Hue can all get on the same page with each other about the system they run,  Rob can get functional about reading blitzes and stay healthy  I'd be tempted to say they have a shot to make some noise this season.  I can't really try to say that until  I learn more about their defense.

Absolutely not defending griffin as he's definitely the cause of a lot of the hits he takes, but I think a big part of it is also teams being aware of his fragility and putting as many hits on him as possible. It's the same thing we saw his rookie year with teams laying hits on him well after a play.

Griffin is still the same horrible qb we saw here in Washington. Doesn't scan the field well. Doesn't feel the pressure coming. As a result, takes more hard hits than any qb I can ever recall.

Still in disbelief that the Browns took a chance on this guy. Especially Hue. He will regret not taking a qb in the draft to develop of his own. I would have taken Wentz and never looked back.

• Like 1

Robert Griffin III: I’m a grittier player now

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/12/robert-griffin-iii-im-a-grittier-player-now/

Disclaimer: this interview was given before he was knocked around by the Packers last Friday. 

Griffin, now the Browns’ starting quarterback, told Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com that he is mentally tougher now than he was before.

I think I’m just grittier,” he said. “All the experiences I had in Washington helped build character, because character isn’t anything that you just show, it’s what happens when no one’s watching. It’s what you do when you have to go through something. I think what happened to me there built that up in me. We want to be a gritty football team here in Cleveland, the ability to play in any kind of weather, to play at any time. Want to play on the blacktop? We’ll play you there. That’s what coach preaches, and that’s what was built up in me through my time in Washington to where I can just come out and play and have fun.”

• Like 1

Besides the fact that his accuracy/pocket presence/ability to read defenses are all below average, the long-term problem with RG3 is his innate ability to take a ridiculous number of hits. Whatever it is, he gets knocked around so much, and you really don't see that with other QB's. Is it because he holds the ball too long? Whatever the case, that combined with his small frame is going to be his downfall. His body can't handle the punishment. It might be different if he was Roethlisberger or Newton, big guys that can absorb punishment. But RG3 is like a gazelle out there, with a bunch of lions after him.

Honestly I don't think the interception was a bad throw.  I have no idea what the tight end was thinking - you have to bend your route toward the middle of the field once you clear the LB, otherwise the QB has no hope of getting you the ball.  Also I confess that I'm a little bitter that Barnidge made the Pro Bowl over Jordan Reed - cmon, that's gotta be a joke.

The real cause for concern with RG3's performance, IMO, was the fumble.  RG3 is a fumble machine.  And you'd expect that from a guy who gets sacked a ton like he does.  But the unforced errors like botched snaps and botched fumbles (the latter of which seemed to magically disappear last year) just make things that much worse.

I scanned a headline on Yahoo that he and his wife are getting a divorce.  What a shame, they just had a baby less than a year ago, yeah?  That's too bad.  I can't even pretend to know either one of them personally, but hadn't they been dating since high school and remained steady all the way up until now?  I am sure there was stuff going on we didn't know about but still, unfortunate.

8 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I scanned a headline on Yahoo that he and his wife are getting a divorce.  What a shame, they just had a baby less than a year ago, yeah?  That's too bad.  I can't even pretend to know either one of them personally, but hadn't they been dating since high school and remained steady all the way up until now?  I am sure there was stuff going on we didn't know about but still, unfortunate.

Maybe she didn't want to live in Cleveland? :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Haha, that would be a pretty petty reason to break up a family.

IDK. Have you been to Cleveland?

Well, I haven't, but I've seen pictures. Seems like a reasonable reason to get a divorce.