Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Browns waive Manziel (and other Browns related stuff--MET)

MassSkinsFan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000642579/article/johnny-manziel-waived-by-cleveland-browns

Johnny Manziel, a freewheeling quarterback once thought to be the savior of Browns football in Cleveland, but who ended up succumbing to a litany of off-the-field problems that doomed his short tenure in the AFC North, was officially released on Friday, the Browns announced.

Almost two years ago, the Browns selected Manziel with the No. 22 overall pick in the 2014 draft, ahead of Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr. Both have since been named to the Pro Bowl.

More at Link

His statement was hilarious. Here's a translation I came up with:

"I'd like to thank the Browns for the opportunity they gave me (that I continued to **** away). We all hoped that we were building what could be a championship team for Cleveland, although in the meantime I was too busy partying".

Everybody knew it was going to be a mistake when they made the pick. Haslam then fires his GM and coach who obviously never wanted Manziel in the first place. From day one Pettine sounded like Gruden being questioned about RG3 after the Tampa game. Every single interview.

Haslam didn't replace Snyder. He actually one upped him on the Snyderatto Meter of Ineptitude.

• Like 1

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-willing-to-give-up-third-round-pick-for-kaepernick/ar-AAgIBB3?li=BBnb4R7

Browns willing to give up 3rd round pick for Colin Kaepernick, but trade hinges on contract redo, sources say

CLEVELAND, Ohio --- The Browns are willing to give up their third-round pick for 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, but the trade is contingent on restructuring Kaepernick's $19 million a year contract, sources told cleveland.com

The 49ers want a second-round pick, but might be willing to take the Browns' third considering it's the second pick in that round, No. 65 overall. Kaepernick wants out, and the Broncos, who were the front-runners in the sweepstakes on Thursday, are also reluctant to part with a high pick.

Besides, they traded for Mark Sanchez on Friday and are prepared to start him in 2016. They're no longer as desperate as they seemed.

The Broncos' second-round pick is No. 63 overall, just two notches ahead of the Browns' third-rounder. Their third-rounder is No. 94 overall, and that might not cut it for the 49ers.

more at link

I think that a change of scenery would do wonders for Kap.  That and the ability to read a defense and get rid of the ball quickly.

But I like Hugh.  Maybe he can work miracles.  

The biggest insult to Griffin would be if somehow Johnny got a job before him.  Wow, that would really sting. I don't see it happening though.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-willing-to-give-up-third-round-pick-for-kaepernick/ar-AAgIBB3?li=BBnb4R7

Browns willing to give up 3rd round pick for Colin Kaepernick, but trade hinges on contract redo, sources say

more at link

I'm so glad that the Redskins' days of negotiating deals in the media like this are seemingly over.

• Like 2

I've got some friends from there who are Browns fans, and I just feel so bad for them.  The Browns are just a disaster, and I don't see that changing anytime real soon.  Plus, they play in one of the tougher divisions in the NFL.  I don't know why anyone goes to those games, unless it's to root for the other team. 

Man Haslam screw up when he bought that team. Holmgren had that team set up for success. They had some really good young talent and multiple first round draft picks for a couple of years in a row. Haslam buys the team, they waste the draft picks on busts. The thing is Holmgren, while not a genius, did a great job setting them up. The only piece missing was a quarterback. The four first round picks that were eventually wasted could have been used on someone Mike liked like a David Carr.

• Like 1

Not sure how drafting Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden is setting them up for success.

Thank you.  Holmgren was HORRIBLE as a GM.  He was stripped of that roll in Seattle as well.  I can't even fathom how someone can consider what he did while in Cleveland a success or even moving that team towards success.  Here are his drafts with the Browns below.  Please explain how this is setting them up for success.

2010 ROUND PLAYER POSITION UNIVERSITY NOTES

1 Haden, Joe CB Florida Pick 7

2 Ward, T.J. FS Oregon Pick 6 (38)

2 Hardesty, Montario RB Tennessee Pick 27 (59) (From Cowboys through Eagles)

3 McCoy, Colt QB Texas Pick 21 (85) (From Patriots through Raiders)

3 Lauvao, Shawn OL Arizona State Pick 28 (92) (From Jets)

5 Asante, Larry SS Nebraska Pick 29 (160) (From Jets)

6 Mitchell, Carlton WR South Florida Pick 8 (177)

6 Geathers, Clifton DE South Carolina Pick 17 (186) (From Panthers)

2011 ROUND PLAYER POSITION UNIVERSITY NOTES

1 Taylor, Phil DT Baylor Pick 21 (From Kansas City)

2 Sheard, Jabaal DE Pittsburgh Pick 37

2 Little, Greg WR North Carolina Pick 59 (From Cowboys Atlanta)

4 Cameron, Jordan TE USC Pick 102 4 Marecic, Owen FB Stanford Pick 124 (From Atlanta)

5 Skrine, Buster DB Chatanooga Pick 137

5 Pinkston, Jason OT Pittsburgh Pick 150 (From NY Giants via Minnesota)

7 Hagg, Eric DB Nebraska Pick 248

2012 ROUND PLAYER POSITION UNIVERSITY NOTES

1 Richardson, Trent RB Alabama Pick 3 (From Minnesota)

1 Weeden, Brandon QB Oklahoma Pick 22 (From Atlanta)

2 Swartz, Mitchell OT California Pick 37

3 Hughes, John DT Cincinnati Pick 87 (From Denver)

4 Benjamin, Travis WR Miami Pick 100

4 Johnson, James-Michael LB Nevada Pick 120 (From Denver)

5 Miller, Ryan OG Colorado Pick 160 (From Denver)

6 Acho, Emmanuel LB Texas Pick 17 204

6 Winn, Billy DT Boise St. Pick 205

7 Wade, Trevin DB Arizona Pick 245

7 Smelley, Brad FB Alabama Pick 247

Edited by Taylor 36

• 2 months later...

I'm figuring the OP won't mind me modifying the thread and title, all things considered. I didn't want to start a new thread for this, nor did I just want to dump ii in one of the 3  :huh:  :wacko:  :P  rg3 threads in this forum because to me the team itself is still the main theme here---it's a team that like Detroit and SD, has often had so many great pieces accumulated in many seasons over the last decade or so yet still comes up short. But the qb position as a whole is also very interesting, just as in philly.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/5/28/11805636/football-outsiders-founder-says-browns-have-one-of-the-worst-qb-depth

Football Outsiders founder says Browns have one of the worst QB depth charts in the past decade

Football Outsiders Founder Aaron Schatzdecided to rank the NFL's 10 worst quarterback depth charts of the past 10 years. Cleveland has had some pretty bad depth charts over the past decade. Fortunately, there were other teams at the top of the list, but the Browns did just sneak on at No. 10 with their 2016 group of quarterbacks.

<edit>

Josh McCown will start if Griffin doesn't. McCown, of course, had that amazing half-season for the 2013 Bears, but based on DVOA ratings, that was the only year in his career he was ever above average. He had the worst DVOA in the league in 2014, and his QBR that year ranked ahead of only rookie Blake Bortles. Last year, McCown was a bit better (23rd in DVOA and 22nd in QBR), but he's going to be 37 this year, making him the third-oldest QB in the league behindTom Brady and Drew Brees.

Third on the depth chart is Cody Kessler, a third-round rookie from USC with a dismal minus-201 QBASE. (The average QBASE for prospects since 1998 is 437, and the only quarterback with negative QBASE to eventually make a Pro Bowl was Brian Griese.) 2014 UDFA Connor Shaw is also around for training camp.

To gain some perspective, the worst quarterback depth chart went to the 2011Washington Redskins for their combination of Rex GrossmanJohn Beck, andJonathan Crompton. The only other team to make the list from 2016 are the New York Jets (Geno SmithChristian Hackenberg, and Bryce Petty), but that situation would get much better if Ryan Fitzpatrick decides to sign on the dotted line.

Schatz also listed other teams he considered but did not crack the Top 10. Two of those "honorable mentions" were the Browns -- in 2010 (Jake DelhommeSeneca Wallace, andColt McCoy) and in 2013 (Brandon WeedenJason Campbell, and Brian Hoyer).

more at link

Clicked on this thread expecting news that Manziel was dead/missing/on the run.

Anyway, for a long time I've had two side teams that I follow outside the Skins during a season. I don't root for them. Really just use them to kill the rest of my Sundays. When I started this I picked the two most miserable franchises I could think of: Detroit and Cincinnati at that time. Thought it would be fun to watch them attempt to grow up (and also make me feel better about the Skins). It's long overdue but congrats Cincy, you've been promoted. And sorry Cleveland, you're now my official cluster**** squad. It's gonna be fun.

(And Detroit, you're not good enough to get promoted and not ****ty enough to be entertaining. With Megatron gone, you're just boring. Don't let the door hit you in the ass.)

Haha Manziel is such a clown. What an idiot. At this point I don't even feel sorry for the piece of ****. He was supposed to host a family party in the hamptons this weekend, but didn't show up for his helicopter ride, and isn't answering his phone. GROW THE **** UP!!! Get the help you need, and stop being an immature dumb ****.