Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Drug Goes From $13.50 a Tablet to $750, Overnight

Springfield

• 7 months later...

Martin Shkreli Wants You To Punch Him In The Face (Really)

The pharmaceutical executive who wanted to make HIV patients pay through the nose for medication is now willing to get punched in the nose for charity.

Martin Shkreli, aka Pharma Bro, said he is currently auctioning off the chance to punch him in the face to raise money for the family of Mike Kulich, his former PR consultant who died in his sleep on Saturday morning.

Kulich, 29, left behind a young son who had just finished treatment for leukemia.

Shkreli promised to match the winning bid “to a certain point,” and is willing to let the winner use a proxy puncher such as Mike Tyson to land the blow.

The winner can also film the punch for posterity.

So far, demand seems fairly high, according to Shkreli.

Click on the link for the full article

• 11 months later...

Martin Shkreli is in jail with terrorism and mob suspects, and no Internet

Inmate No. 87850-053 has no Internet access.

That could be the least of the inconveniences ahead for “Pharma Bro” Martin Shkreli, whose online rantings about Hillary Clinton prompted a judge this week to revoke his bail and put him in the Metropolitan Detention Center, a fortress-like federal jail that also houses terrorism and mob suspects.

MDC — as the Brooklyn, N.Y., lockup for 1,800 men and women is known — has over the years drawn complaints ranging from sexual assaults to the lack of fresh air, sunlight and recreation.

Federal prison officials wouldn't discuss Shkreli's conditions, though his lawyer says Shkreli is in with the general population. All defense attorney Ben Brafman would say of Shkreli's two nights locked up so far is that he “is doing reasonably well under very difficult circumstances.”

Shkreli, a boyish pharma executive best known for jacking up the price of a life-saving drug 5,000%, had been allowed to remain free on $5-million bail after his conviction last month in an unrelated securities fraud scheme involving two hedge funds he ran.

But Shkreli's Facebook posting offering a $5,000 bounty for a strand of Clinton's hair — with the follicle — was the last straw for U.S. District Judge Kiyo Matsumoto, who agreed with prosecutors that he should be put behind bars until his sentencing for securities fraud early next year.

Shkreli is facing up to 20 years in prison on the most serious charges. But he had brashly predicted in livestreamed rants that he would never see the inside of a prison because of sentencing guidelines — and that even if he did get prison time, it would be just a few months at a minimum-security “Club Fed.”

“I'll play basketball and tennis and Xbox and be out on these streets in four months,” he boasted to the New York Daily News just minutes after his conviction.

That's hardly what Shkreli will be experiencing at MDC, where he will stay for at least four months until his Jan. 16 sentencing.

hqdefault.jpg

9 hours ago, twa said:

Federal hell, throw him in county lockup.

Most people in county don't watch news, they have no idea who he is.  Not in their wheelhouse.

1 hour ago, Bang said:

He'll show up to his hearing missing his front teeth.

~Bang

Not in fed.  Rather rare there, but we can hope.

We'll see him next as miserable but smug, because he thinks he'll skate.  With the current admin, anything could happen. 

I hope hell greets him sooner rather than later, but we all have some hope for our society to be responsible and correct.

• 5 months later...

Usually boisterous and defiant, Shkreli spent most of the three-hour hearing, dressed in a dark prison uniform and black glasses, staring down into his lap. He cried as he told the judge that “poor judgment led me here. … The only person to blame for me being here is me.”

“I am not the same person I was during the MSMB era,” he said referring to his now dissolved hedge funds. “I apologize to all of the investors. I am terribly sorry I lost your trust.” At one point during his statement, Shkreli was handed a box of Kleenex.

giphy.gif

It feels good that this particular troll got his comeuppance but he's one of many examples of greed that weighs down our medical system.

An Out-Of-Network Lab, An Elaborate Urine Test And Then A Surprise Bill

After Elizabeth Moreno had back surgery in late 2015, her surgeon prescribed an opioid painkiller and a follow-up drug test that seemed routine — until the lab slapped her with a bill for $17,850.

A Houston lab had tested her urine sample for a constellation of legal and illicit drugs, many of which Moreno says she had never heard of, let alone taken.

"I was totally confused. I didn't know how I was going to pay this," said Moreno, 30, who is finishing a degree in education at Texas State University in San Marcos, and is pregnant with twins.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/02/16/585548181/an-out-of-network-lab-an-elaborate-urine-test-and-then-a-surprise-bill

and if you're an innocent soul thinking this was just a mistake:

"Sounds real fishy," added Charles Root, a veteran industry adviser. He wondered if the lab had "misplaced the decimal point," because such a test should cost a few hundred dollars, tops.

The lab disagrees.

Sunset's billings "are in line with the charges of competing out-of-network labs in the geographical area," lab attorney Justo Mendez said in an emailed statement.

Welcome to America, where you can wander into what seems like routine medical care and leave owing a small fortune.  All without providers having to be make the cost clear to you prior to incurring the charges.  

Shkreli, a former hedge fund manager and entrepreneur, earned his unflattering nickname by raising the cost of the drug from $13.50 per pill to $750 per pill. After a Bloomberg reporter suggested it cost around $1 to make, Shkreli acknowledged the drug cost “very little money” to make.

He faced an onslaught of criticism for what was perceived as blatant price-gouging that put the cost of care for some patients out of reach. He also didn’t do himself any favors by explaining how he was motivated by profits

His company, Turing Pharmaceuticals, raised the price of the drug very quickly after acquiring it, claiming it would use the profits to develop a new drug with fewer side effects. The company says it is now testing several new alternatives. Daraprim has been around for more than six decades, and is used to treat toxoplasmosis, an infection that can be life-threatening to people with weak immune systems ― like AIDS patients.

HuffPost contacted a representative Vyera Pharmaceuticals, Turing Pharmaceuticals’ new name. A company representative confirmed that Daraprim still costs $750 out of pocket, with a reduced price for patients who meet certain federal poverty guidelines. (For example, a household of two people must not exceed a $48,720 annual income.)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/martin-shkreli-aids-drug-price-the-same_us_5aa3117fe4b07047bec694cb

While we're all celebrating this guy going to prison, that evil thing he did never stopped.  Meet the new boss.... 

• 1 month later...

Pharma bro fraudster Martin Shkreli sent to federal prison in New Jersey after being denied minimum security camp

"Pharma bro" scammer Martin Shkreli has been sent to a federal prison in New Jersey to serve the remainder of his seven-year sentence after being denied his request for a minimum-security federal camp.

Shkreli, who had been in a Brooklyn federal jail since September, was shipped Tuesday to the low-security Fort Dix Federal Correctional Institution in New Jersey, according to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons.

The prison is located on the U.S. military base at Fort Dix, about 80 miles from New York City, where Shkreli lived, and 30 miles from Philadelphia. It houses 3,945 inmates.

Shkreli, 35, in March had asked to be sent to the minimum-security camp adjacent to another federal prison in Pennsylvania, FCI Canaan.

His sentencing judge endorsed that request. But the Bureau of Prisons has the last word in determining where to place its inmates.

Shkreli's lawyer Benjamin Brafman declined to comment Wednesday.

Brafman previously said that Judge Kiyo Matsumoto's ruling last September that Shkreli was a public danger would prevent him from being sent to a minimum-security camp because of BOP guidelines.

16 minutes ago, China said:

Shkreli, who had been in a Brooklyn federal jail since September, was shipped Tuesday to the low-security Fort Dix Federal Correctional Institution in New Jersey, according to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons.

I've been there (visiting family, not as an inmate myself). It's not a nice place and very poorly run. Don't be surprised if he gets his ass kicked in there.

13 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I've been there (visiting family, not as an inmate myself). It's not a nice place and very poorly run. Don't be surprised if he gets his ass kicked in there.

I think getting his ass kicked....would be the least of his worries as far as his ass...

Archived