Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Ramming Our Heads Against a Wall

KDawg

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I personally would like Brissett to start.  I don’t think there is any risk of winning with him and it would help to see what the offense looks like with someone else at the helm.  It likely helps the new regime learn more about Sam without him playing.

I disagree only because the most important person to evaluate is Howell.

Who else are we evaluating on offense who’s going to be here?  Either they’re known or not going to be here. 

• Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I disagree only because the most important person to evaluate is Howell.

Who else are we evaluating on offense who’s going to be here?  Either they’re known or not going to be here. 

I saw this coming after the last Giants loss.  The likelihood things were going to get better for him after taking a bazillion hits in a lost season, going up against the toughest part of the schedule was slim to none.  I don’t think we can learn anything more about Howell by playing him.  It’s evident that the season has taken a toll on him to the point we could learn more about him watching someone else run the offense.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I saw this coming after the last Giants loss.  The likelihood things were going to get better for him after taking a bazillion hits in a lost season, going up against the toughest part of the schedule was slim to none.  I don’t think we can learn anything more about Howell by playing him.  It’s evident that the season has taken a toll on him to the point we could learn more about him watching someone else run the offense.

Possibly.  Then play Jake Fromm.

There is nothing to be gained by playing Brissett. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

“Ya know, Cheese is a guy tremendous versatility, ya know position flex can play C or G really poorly and also long snap poorly. Comes from a military family, probably”

What’s your basis for this? He played behind literally the same line (oh actually worse because C and LT backups were in) as Sam and looked superior. You just going to ignore that? Because it doesn’t fit the narrative that our line is the worst of all time and that’s why Sam takes so many sacks? Can’t be, you know, a combination of factors?

Two words: garbage time.

Game was already decided when Brisset entered.

Edited by El Mexican
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb up 2

Quote of the day by some delusional guy named Rivera before the RAMs game.

"If we win out, we still have a mathematical chance of making the playoffs"

- delusion #1 - "the possibility of winning out"

- delusion #2 - "still a mathematical possibility of making the playoffs"

• Haha 4

Ron is probably the only NFL coach who could draft a terrible long snapper to replace one who had been playing reasonable well....and leave other important positions uncovered by not tending to those other positions in the draft or FA.

I wonder if he realizes he won't be back next year and is already scouring the next draft candidates for another replacement long snapper.

As NIcki Jhabvala mentioned in her latest column, Cheeseman is now putting his teammates in danger.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/12/17/commanders-rams-takeaways-sam-howell-jacoby-brissett/

>>Commanders’ 28-20 loss to Rams exposes more issues in all three phases

>>.....and the long snapper is putting his teammates in danger<<

It's amazing, every week there is some version of them explaining this

Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 7.15.53 AM.png

I was listening to Loigan Paulsen on Dotson before the game on the pregame show.  He was brutal on him.  He said if he were a new coach, he'd want better weapons that what we got.  And while the scheme is part of Dotson's struggles some of it also is he doesn't play with urgency and isn't playing well period. 

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to Loigan Paulsen on Dotson before the game on the pregame show.  He was brutal on him.  He said if he were a new coach, he'd want better weapons that what we got.  And while the scheme is part of Dotson's struggles some of it also is he doesn't play with urgency and isn't playing well period. 

Next season is a big one for BSJ if he gets the chance to start again. Especially with the reports out of camp, I expected him to build on last season.

I don’t think you can count on Dotson next season as a starter. To Logan’s point, it is why I lean more toward one of the WR1s or Bowers if we don’t go QB in round 1

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, method man said:

Next season is a big one for BSJ if he gets the chance to start again. Especially with the reports out of camp, I expected him to build on last season.

I don’t think you can count on Dotson next season as a starter. To Logan’s point, it is why I lean more toward one of the WR1s or Bowers if we don’t go QB in round 1

Me too as to Wrs or Bowers.

I had high hopes for Dotson, wonder what happened.

• Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

His size not allowing him to separate especially when pressed and his hands have never been great been the greatest as he is more of a body catcher. I misjudged how much both of these would play into him as a pro. He had jukes in college that allowed him to separate that just aren't good enough in the pros. Also, he hands are just much worse than realized as without separation he must snag balls with his short catching radius...

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

His size not allowing him to separate especially when pressed and his hands have never been great been the greatest as he is more of a body catcher. I misjudged how much both of these would play into him as a pro. He had jukes in college that allowed him to separate that just aren't good enough in the pros. Also, he hands are just much worse than realized as without separation he must snag balls with his short catching radius...

McLaurin is having similar (but lesser) issues. Maybe some of it is on Howell. Maybe some of it is on playcalls. Maybe some of it is a lame duck regime.

I don’t know. 

But it’s exhausting.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, KDawg said:

McLaurin is having similar (but lesser) issues. Maybe some of it is on Howell. Maybe some of it is on playcalls. Maybe some of it is a lame duck regime.

I don’t know. 

But it’s exhausting.

Very exhausting! The thing with Terry is, he has better hands and is bigger to fight for balls. But yeah it's all of the above as well

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lack of play strength was an overlooked issue in hindsight.  I didn't see it coming either.  But the bigger and more surprising issue is his passivity.  Star wide receivers are alpha tough guys who have egos and demand attention.  Even when they are mostly nice about it like Terry, Terry still asserts his will and will flex on guys after he embarrasses them.  Dotson is really passive.  Nice kid but not a dog.

I had high hopes for that trade down, and thought it was gonna be one of our best trades and draft hauls at the time.  And Dotson's rookie season was promising for sure.  But now I view that trade down as just more evidence of how you shouldn't do it in the early first round when you've got a blue chipper on the board.  I didn't have Olave as a blue chipper, but I did have Hamilton, Linderbaum, Davis, and Lloyd as blue chippers.

We would have screwed up Hamilton though.  The Ravens are particularly clever in how they use him, and our defensive coaches are awful.  He'd have come here, been misused, and spent his time alternating between being out of position and getting hurt.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We have so many holes. We knew that. But it’s hard to look at this roster and realize we can and need to upgrade basically everywhere aside from punter. 

I’m not being facetious. This roster is a mess.

100% this roster is a mess and it starts with coaching. From top down these coaches are not getting it done. From a teaching standpoint, to a discipline (hold feet to the fire) to schematically, to talent evaluation. It starts with Ron and not instilling in the coaches an overall vision, standards, philosophy. It appears there is no communication between the staff and their individual functions. Its an absolute embarrassment. 3 weeks cannot come soon enough.

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We had another trade back offer into the later part of the first and could have grabbed Tyler Smith or Tyler Linderbaum and added another day two pick, while still grabbing Moore, Robinson, Pierce or a few other WRs that can be decent slot WRs.

• Sad 1