Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Ramming Our Heads Against a Wall

KDawg

Sam Howell experiencing the ups & downs of being a first year starter in a new offense, behind a terrible O-line?  You don't say!? I would have never expected it.  I guess next you're going to tell me that he may struggle against the 49ers defense.   Come on already.  Are we really doing this again as fans?  4 Mins of decent looking play by Brissett in the 4th quarter of a game in which the outcome was already determined is all it's going to take.

This fanbase, never disappoints.

• Like 15
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Sam Howell experiencing the ups & downs of being a first year starter in a new offense, behind a terrible O-line?  You don't say!? I would have never expected it.  I guess next you're going to tell me that he may struggle against the 49ers defense.   Come on already.  Are we really doing this again as fans?  4 Mins of decent looking play by Brissett in the 4th quarter of a game in which the outcome was already determined is all it's going to take.

Sam has had more time in this offense than Brissett and the difference was night and day. Scary Terry actually looked like Scary Terry for the first time this year. Brissett saw the field a lot quicker than Sam. 

With that being said, how did the Jets not call Washington about Brissett? 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Sam has had more time in this offense than Brissett and the difference was night and day. Scary Terry actually looked like Scary Terry for the first time this year. Brissett saw the field a lot quicker than Sam. 

Can’t take much away from Brissett. Late in the game, the Rams were playing off a bit and coasting and they didn’t prepare for Brissett. Terry also got more separation in the deep ball than I’ve seen from him all year… can’t pin that on Howell. 

then it took 8 plays to score from the 1 and 4 minutes. Not exactly lighting the world on fire.

I don’t blame Jacoby, either. The OL stinks.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

Brissett threw a duck that looked like it was going to be picked off until Terry reminded us all of the Heinicke era and muscled it down to get the catch.  I guess I can give Kudos to Brissett for targeting Terry, but I believe I remember Howell doing the same thing earlier when Terry got open and had his left hand being held down by the defender which led to an incompletion. (Why no flag was thrown, who knows).  Again, look at the situation.  Late in a game that was already determined Brissett had a a couple of good looking drives.  Is that really all it takes?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Brissett threw a duck that looked like it was going to be picked off until Terry reminded us all of the Heinicke era and muscled it down to get the catch.  I guess I can give Kudos to Brissett for targeting Terry, but I believe I remember Howell doing the same thing earlier when Terry got open and had his left hand being held down by the defender which led to an incompletion. (Why no flag was thrown, who knows).  Again, look at the situation.  Late in a game that was already determined Brissett had a a couple of good looking drives.  Is that really all it takes?

And Sam was panicking and rushing bad throws all day. One that probably should have been another pick six. 

Nobody's going to say that Brissett's the guy, but he was playing the same team behind the same OL. There's no debate, Terry looked elite in the short time Brissett was on the field. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 3
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

He’s not a rookie on a 4-5 year contract with an expected (or hoped) growth curve that we can be patient and watch play out. Sorry, we can tell ourselves he’s different than the average 5th round QB all we want and how actually, if you followed things, he has secret pedigree. But in reality, fair or not, he needed to make a certain impression this season to cement his future.

All opportunity is not created equal and it doesn’t matter that it’s not fair—he is not just facing normal young franchise QB struggles because he is not seen as a young franchise QB.

He doesn’t have the leash or the organizational belief. His only hope was to ball out against all odds and impress the next staff we’ll have and that hasn’t happened. Acting like that’s no big deal and fans are being ridiculous about it is kind of ignoring reality. He didn’t have 3-5 years to massage out all the quirks, and he needed to show MAJOR upside to offset the negatives. He hasn’t been showing that for about a month now and there’s three more games to go. It may get ugly. It’s not all his fault at all—he was dealt a tough hand—but you’re ignoring a lot of important context here talking about Howell like he’s a 1st round pick that anyone is invested in. He was a longshot who needed to make the most of his shot in a bad situation. If we’re seeing the best he can manage, he’s probably done—bad roster and bad coaching or not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Can’t take much away from Brissett. Late in the game, the Rams were playing off a bit and coasting and they didn’t prepare for Brissett. Terry also got more separation in the deep ball than I’ve seen from him all year… can’t pin that on Howell. 

then it took 8 plays to score from the 1 and 4 minutes. Not exactly lighting the world on fire.

I don’t blame Jacoby, either. The OL stinks.

Doesn't Brissett get the "he doesn't get 1st team reps" argument? The ball was coming out of his hands a lot faster and at the very least, he gave his best players chance to make some plays. 

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

And Sam was panicking and rushing bad throws all day. One that probably should have been another pick six. 

Nobody's going to say that Brissett's the guy, but he was playing the same team behind the same OL. There's no debate, Terry looked elite in the short time Brissett was on the field. 

Sam is Ramsey’d at this point. Holding the ball, happy feet, throwing off his back foot, missing open receivers, forcing passes. 

Brissett came in and looked like a veteran backup in garbage time. 

Im not sure why people are trying to make Brissett a thing but it’s painful.

Howell stunk and looks cooked. That doesn’t mean Brissett is much better because he had a 10 play drive with 8 of them from the 1.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 2

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

He’s not a rookie on a 4-5 year contract with an expected (or hoped) growth curve that we can be patient and watch play out. Sorry, we can tell ourselves he’s different than the average 5th round QB all we want and how actually, if you followed things, he has secret pedigree. But in reality, fair or not, he needed to make a certain impression this season to cement his future.

All opportunity is not created equal and it doesn’t matter that it’s not fair—he is not just facing normal young franchise QB struggles because he is not seen as a young franchise QB.

He doesn’t have the leash or the organizational belief. His only hope was to ball out against all odds and impress the next staff we’ll have and that hasn’t happened. Acting like that’s no big deal and fans are being ridiculous about it is kind of ignoring reality. He didn’t have 3-5 years to massage out all the quirks, and he needed to show MAJOR upside to offset the negatives. He hasn’t been showing that for about a month now and there’s three more games to go. It may get ugly. It’s not all his fault at all—he was dealt a tough hand—but you’re ignoring a lot of important context here talking about Howell like he’s a 1st round pick that anyone is invested in. He was a longshot who needed to make the most of his shot in a bad situation. If we’re seeing the best he can manage, he’s probably done—bad roster and bad coaching or not.

It really is crazy how the league works, I’d argue Sam has looked much better than his rookie contemporaries like say a Bryce Young or Pickett in Pittsburgh, but his draft status does matter. He has to prove he can play beyond all doubt while a first rounder has to prove that he can’t.  If you’re not 6’5” 230 GMs just aren’t gonna put their job on the line for you, period, but they will if you are and suck.  See Carson Wentz…

I really think Sam can be the guy but he’s probably not gonna get the opportunity. Watching the Colts yesterday I couldn’t help but think that Gardner Minshew could be the guy. He’s got a good enough arm, can play, has moxie, but no GM is gonna gamble on Gardner Minshew.  It’s just how football is, QBs have to be the best looking guy on the field / best athlete, big tall with pedigree, if not you’re just a placeholder until they find that guy who looks the part…

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

This happens quite often in the NFL. Then guy plays the next week and can’t move the football, takes sacks and turns it over like the other guy.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

If Sam has a career in the nfl it won’t be here.

You have a new owner. A change is coming in 3 weeks. You will

have a new Gm and new coach. Sam had to do the extraordinary to even be considered as qb1 in 2024.

Considering how crappy of a team we have, along with our crappy coaches;Sam’s chances of success were limited.

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

In his final personnel move with the Commanders, Ron Rivera signs LS Cameron Cheeseman to a 3 year $12m extension!

“Ya know, Cheese is a guy tremendous versatility, ya know position flex can play C or G really poorly and also long snap poorly. Comes from a military family, probably”

11 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

If Brissett had played behind the OL for as long as Howell, he’d be Ramseyed as well.  Or in a coma. 

Hell, if damn near anybody played behind this ****show, they’d be looking for the exit.  

What’s your basis for this? He played behind literally the same line (oh actually worse because C and LT backups were in) as Sam and looked superior. You just going to ignore that? Because it doesn’t fit the narrative that our line is the worst of all time and that’s why Sam takes so many sacks? Can’t be, you know, a combination of factors?

• Haha 2