Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Ramming Our Heads Against a Wall

KDawg

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

My theory is that Sam is tired. Dude has the most reps in the league right now and his arm is probably just lagging. But he can't say that because this is his dream. He is going through his sophomore slump in his second 10 games. Dude will have like 2 seasons worth of starts. Not really but he's up there. I bet he's tired right now. 

And been a beaten man over the full season. It has been crazy that he has been able to stay healthy physically. Mentally, well, he looks shell shocked and the defenses are teeing off on him. With a rebuilt OL and a better weapon or two he should be able to stand minimally as a good backup for the next few years. Maybe seeing Brissett let the ball fly it will give him inspiration to get back out and try letting it fly like him.

2 hours ago, “Misdirection” said:

To read that even kdawg appears to be jumping off the Howell train fills me with both sorrow and clarity lol

theres 3 games left to prove otherwise I suppose, but I’m finding peace with going QB in R1 the more Sam struggles down the stretch 

I mean we all thought the Texans had one of the worst rosters in the NFL coming into the season and all they do is draft a blue chip rookie QB and a blue chip DE and now they’re 8-6 and in the playoffs

Big part of the problem is we have no blue chips players. We have the DT but there not even top five for the position. We need to get some blue chip talent.

Edited by Redskins 2021

9 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

My theory is that Sam is tired. Dude has the most reps in the league right now and his arm is probably just lagging. But he can't say that because this is his dream. He is going through his sophomore slump in his second 10 games. Dude will have like 2 seasons worth of starts. Not really but he's up there. I bet he's tired right now. 

He was coming off a bye week.  

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

He was coming off a bye week.  

He's taken 500+ reps. Imagine running a 100+ miler. And taking a day off and being told to do s marathon the next day. You couldn't. That's what I'm saying. It's the limitation if the human body. We were questioning it all year, why not now? 

23 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

And been a beaten man over the full season. It has been crazy that he has been able to stay healthy physically. Mentally, well, he looks shell shocked and the defenses are teeing off on him. With a rebuilt OL and a better weapon or two he should be able to stand minimally as a good backup for the next few years. Maybe seeing Brissett let the ball fly it will give him inspiration to get back out and try letting it fly like him.

This too. 

8 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

Don’t worry, just like every year come August around here people will tell you the roster is all better now (remember “who needs an O-line” guy?) and yell at you when you dare to project anything less than a .500 or better 

Im not being facetious either.

I use it too, but every time I see facetious spelled it mesmerizes my brain.  Looks like ‘face-time-us’… 

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47evaas12t36sudm091gj

Edited by lovemaskins

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think the keys to the running game are BRob and the FB. When they're both playing I think it can do well. And provided a alternative in the passing game and protection for Sam. 

Yeah, but when they actually started leaning on the running game to be a significant part of the early game game-plan, the offense stalled badly.  Robinson only missed one game.  

This is a season long problem.  

You have to just embrace who you are regardless of criticism.  When they were at their best, they were a significant pass-first team with quick reads and rhythm passing.  When they replaced some of the quick passes with runs, they started to struggle.

I don't know if that's more correlation with or without causation.  But it is true.

I would like to see them get back to what they were doing earlier in the year.  Let the Chris Russell's of the world go nuts and pass the ball 45-50 times a game.  Don't try to be different. Get Sam some easy throws right off the bat, get him in rhythm, and then see what happens.

Too often his first couple passes are in known passing situations.  Stuffed run on first down, catch-up run on second down, known passing situation on third down, incomplete or sack. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

He's taken 500+ reps. Imagine running a 100+ miler. And taking a day off and being told to do s marathon the next day. You couldn't. That's what I'm saying. It's the limitation if the human body. We were questioning it all year, why not now? 

Playing QB once a week is not like running marathon. And he sure did not have to do it 2 days after running 100 miles. He had a week off.  I have no doubt he is beat up but his physical health is no excuse for being wildly inaccurate and making bad decisions.  

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Playing QB once a week is not like running marathon. And he sure did not have to do it 2 days after running 100 miles. He had a week off.  I have no doubt he is beat up but his physical health is no excuse for being wildly inaccurate and making bad decisions.  

Sure it is. His mental health is probably not great either (from a football standpoint, I’m not talking his mental every day health… work health…) knowing he gets obliterated on the regular.

But… he has control over his actions and he didn’t manage to overcome those obstacles so… that’s on him, too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Sure it is. His mental health is probably not great either (from a football standpoint, I’m not talking his mental every day health… work health…) knowing he gets obliterated on the regular.

But… he has control over his actions and he didn’t manage to overcome those obstacles so… that’s on him, too. 

Is he shell shocked from all the hits? I can totally buy that. But to say he is tired, physically or mentally, after a bye week is something I can't buy.  

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Is he shell shocked from all the hits? I can totally buy that. But to say he is tired, physically or mentally, after a bye week is something I can't buy.  

I think that’s what was meant by tired.

I’d say he’s been Ramsey’d for sure. His body language yesterday seemed so different. Just… confused… down… no excitement at all… no smiles. Dude just looks tired (from the beatings).

And I’ll add this, part of that is absolutely on him. But a big part of that was the abysmal offensive line that our FO and HC put together.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think that’s what was meant by tired.

I’d say he’s been Ramsey’d for sure. His body language yesterday seemed so different. Just… confused… down… no excitement at all… no smiles. Dude just looks tired (from the beatings).

And I’ll add this, part of that is absolutely on him. But a big part of that was the abysmal offensive line that our FO and HC put together.

No the poster I quoted said he was physically tired, used running a marathon 2 days after a 100 mile run as an analogy. To me he looks more frustrated than physically tired.  His head is down because they are losing badly and he is playing poorly is my thought.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

5 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I've seen some hot takes that Sam shouldn't be around next year, and I just find that bewildering.

If the new staff is drafting their QB in this draft I would expect Sam to be gone. A new rookie cant have a previous young starter sitting on the bench behind. Plus Sam does have some trade value still. Best to clean the slate and start from scratch if that is the way we are going. 

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

He was on RG3's podcast last week and mentioned how long and brutal the NFL season is. It was harder than he expected. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He was on RG3's podcast last week and mentioned how long and brutal the NFL season is. It was harder than he expected. 

College seasons are 12 games. Big diff to jump to 17 games of taking beatings from grown men vs 12 against teenagers. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

No the poster I quoted said he was physically tired, used running a marathon 2 days after a 100 mile run as an analogy. To me he looks more frustrated than physically tired.  His head is down because they are losing badly and he is playing poorly is my thought.  

Yeah. I'm just saying the physical movement of taking the arm motion up and down making a throwing motion 500+ times plus practices plus the plays that don't count plus the off-season. It all adds up. 

Why is it so unreasonable to think of? It's not in baseball. I'm college they do 12 games. They hit the rookie wall, sophomore slump, etc. with 500+ why can't he be going through that? 

The highest passing attempts are all by NFL vets

Brady 2022 733

Stafford 2012 727

Brady 2021 719

Herbert 2022 699

Bledsoe 1994 691

Manning 2010 679

Ben Roethlisberger 2018 675 

Etc

The only one that's comparable is Bledsoe but he was in his second year with a year of NFL reps 475 atts in his first year. So he got to come in and not kill his arm. 

It's like SH is being made to do a 100 miler and only trained for a 10 miler or even a marathon. He's not going to hold up. 

• Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah. I'm just saying the physical movement of taking the arm motion up and down making a throwing motion 500+ times plus practices plus the plays that don't count plus the off-season. It all adds up. 

Why is it so unreasonable to think of? It's not in baseball. I'm college they do 12 games. They hit the rookie wall, sophomore slump, etc. with 500+ why can't he be going through that? 

The highest passing attempts are all by NFL vets

Brady 2022 733

Stafford 2012 727

Brady 2021 719

Herbert 2022 699

Bledsoe 1994 691

Manning 2010 679

Ben Roethlisberger 2018 675 

Etc

The only one that's comparable is Bledsoe but he was in his second year with a year of NFL reps 475 atts in his first year. So he got to come in and not kill his arm. 

It's like SH is being made to do a 100 miler and only trained for a 10 miler or even a marathon. He's not going to hold up. 

I just never heard anyone say he looked physically tired in his previous game, so it's hard to imagine that set in after a week off is all I'm saying.  i have no doubt the season, especially a season like this, is a grind. I do believe such a long season full of hits has taken it's toll.  But no I do not believe throwing across his body into coverage or flat out missing throws is because his arm is tired.  

• Like 1

The end of season can't come fast enough for all of those players.

One thing for sure in seasons like this, hits hit harder, it's harder to get healthy and you're more than likely playing at 80% max instead of playing at 100%. You never seem to make that little effort when you have to because you're more tired than usual.

It's mostly psychological, but in seasons like this most of the players have already given up because you just aren't winning games.

So Sam would probably look less tired if we were 10-4 instead of 4-10, even with the same number of throws and hits taken behind a porous OL.

But we're 4-10 and that makes everything a bit worse.

And all of that fall on the HC.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I just never heard anyone say he looked physically tired in his previous game, so it's hard to imagine that set in after a week off is all I'm saying.  i have no doubt the season, especially a season like this, is a grind. I do believe such a long season full of hits has taken it's toll.  But no I do not believe throwing across his body into coverage or flat out missing throws is because his arm is tired.  

We've just never heard of a player being on this accelerated growth program before. 

• Thumb up 1