Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rappaport, Jack Del Rio/ Vieselmeyer Fired. Ron will run defense for rest of Season

Reaper Skins

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera with a roster that is average in age as to the rest of the league but he's determined to convince people he has a bunch of high school players that he's trying to mold

I will concede this: since they traded Sweat and Young and with the injury to Forrest, the defense has more inexperience. 

Butler is in his second year, Martin is in his first, and a couple of the DEs are rookies. Forbes is a rookie.  

So what was a very veteran group is less veteran now than it was.  

Which doesn’t excuse anything.  It’s still not like we have 8 rookies out there.  

And there are no rookies playing on offense. 

So Ron’s point is still not valid.  And he shouldn’t stop saying it.  

36 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I find your infatuation with stuffed Toucans disturbing.🤔

I actually used the reference again just for you to see if you would catch it. :P 

• Haha 2

Theoretically, this could have a beneficial effect on the defense. If the scheme Del Rio was running wasn't working due to communication failures, stripping everything down to basics and building from there could be more effective. 

Doubt that's the approach they take though. Couple that with the personnel and the upcoming opposition, I doubt we'll see much difference.

So all in all an empty gesture. 

37 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

When Synder did this, y’all crucified him. 

hmmm

This season is on Snyder though. I propose that the 10-6 record from his first season when he took over too late to get his little fingers into everything and start his version of the process (the one where you **** everything up) be stricken from his win - loss totals as an executive and be replaced with the ****ty record from this season when Harris took over too late to begin fixing his mess.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Well, now I’m intrigued. How will Rivera stand with his arms crossed in the same position for four quarters if he’s responsible for calling and coordinating the defense?

It will be very interesting, bc all kidding aside, does Ron have the mental capacity to be calling a defense at this stage?   The knock on him has been slow to adjust, late to challenge plays, etc.  Now he is going to step it up, and I don't see how he is going to be successful.  Which is fine, better draft pick is ok with me. But the new drinking game will be every time the opposing offense is snapping the ball, if our defense is scrambling to get set, DRINK!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Csup said:

To me it comes across as Ron’s desperate attempt to save his job when it’s a foregone conclusion most of the coaching staff will be fired at the end of the season.

I find it hard to believe Ron isn't 100% certain he is done at the end of the year.  If anything, I'd guess this is just an attempt to not have a locker room that has completely given up.  Show them that he will make moves to see if there is any improvement.  But no way he thinks he has a shot to be the head coach next year, or GM, or doorman.  He is done and he knows it.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I find it hard to believe Ron isn't 100% certain he is done at the end of the year.  If anything, I'd guess this is just an attempt to not have a locker room that has completely given up.  Show them that he will make moves to see if there is any improvement.  But no way he thinks he has a shot to be the head coach next year, or GM, or doorman.  He is done and he knows it.

Totally agree w/you. And I might be the only person that feels this way but even if in some way this team turns it around these last 5 games, there is no way RR should be the HC in 2024, if he is, then clearly Josh Harris isn’t the owner we needed or wanted…. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Csup said:

It’s petty because it looks like Ron is trying to scapegoat JDR.   To me it comes across as Ron’s desperate attempt to save his job when it’s a foregone conclusion most of the coaching staff will be fired at the end of the season.

My statement is predicated on the fact that Harris did not insist JDR be fired.  I assumed this was a Rivera move.

I highly doubt this is any type of survival tactic.  He’s kept this dude on through many Fire Del Rio calls before.  At some point it’s tough to explain to your boss why you are keeping a DC and a secondary coach of the 32nd rank defense that gives up 30+ every week.  If this was a survival tactic, it would have happened much sooner. 

• Like 1

There is no way Ron thinks that #1, this change is going to cause them to run off a bunch of wins and #2 that this is going to save his job.  No way.  So why did he make this move when he has said over and over that he was not going to fire coaches.  There is only one answer.   Josh Harris, despite what his statement says, made this call.  He had to do something to save face with the fan base.  He is looking to the future.  This is a band aid that gets him to the end of the season with Ron and then they all go.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

The ownership including the 20 partners will be facing paying Rivera and all his coaches one more year of salary while they are not on the team.

Then they will be hiring a new GM and coaches.  A lot of salaries to deal with and I just hope they don't keep Ron just to save on salary.  Everyone needs to go.

I hope Keim or some other reporter who follows the team can get player reactions to Rivera taking over the defensive responsibilities tomorrow.  Eye rolls and no comments

perhaps?

Also, is it true that the other coach who was fired only had a high school coaching background? If true that is unbelievable.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

The ownership including the 20 partners will be facing paying Rivera and all his coaches one more year of salary while they are not on the team.

Then they will be hiring a new GM and coaches.  A lot of salaries to deal with and I just hope they don't keep Ron just to save on salary.  Everyone needs to go.

I hope Keim or some other reporter who follows the team can get player reactions to Rivera taking over the defensive responsibilities tomorrow.  Eye rolls and no comments

perhaps?

The cost of paying the old regime and the new regime will not matter at all.  Harris just spent 6.05 billion on this team, and he knows investing in the right people is the best way for ROI.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Yeah this "he's trying to save his job" stuff is nonsense to me.  I've never seen such obvious tells from a coach on the hot seat.  He is blah blah blah-ing his way through everything, laughing and shrugging his shoulders at questions and visibly doesnt move during games.  The last time he moved his body during a game was when Slye drilled that 60+ yarder weeks ago.  It was nice to see him happy there lol.  

If anything he's doing the fans and Harris a favor.  He's not stupid. "I'll watch this ****ty defense and you guys will get your high pick".  It's anything but desperate what he's doing, and we've seen coaches do desperate embarrassing **** to try to keep their jobs.  

I like Rivera through all this. Many of us have been in this boat in our professions:  you rely on the people around you to "do their job", they don't, you get **** on because it's your job to make them better and you eventually fizzle out either because you think you're forever surrounded by idiots, or you just don't have it in you anymore. I think he's ready to be done and we're getting a mix of "**** it" and trying to be graceful about it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

I believe he knows he's toast at the end of the year too yeah.

Him saying he's not concerned about it, or that his future isn't on the table now, makes me think he already had this conversation with Josh earlier this year and things are already settled. Maybe Josh went with something like "go to the playoffs and win a game or two and I'll reconsider it".  But besides that, Writing has been on the wall since Josh bought the team.

And that's definately a move to try to save the locker room D more than anything, if he wasn't pleased with JDR Defense he had 3 years to fire him. I doubt Ron calling plays will change much, is the schemle doesn't change, players will still look lost.

But for whatever reason, this franchise loves to stick to crappy DC.

Anyway, firing a coach in season has never done anything or saved anybody. This D is not gonna turn into a playoff contender with Ron calling plays. Maybe they'll be a bit tightier and give 24/27 points isntead of 30/40. That would help a bit, but we aren't finishing 5/0. Maybe 1/4 or 2/3 if we're lucky. Which is still what we woul have done with JDR calling plays...

• Like 1

Where are all my emergency pods damnit!!!!  I get the beat reporters are probably doing a delayed thanksgiving because they had to travel yesterday but damn it, show some professionalism, blow off your families and get me my emergency pods!!!!

EDIT: and Keim’s just dropped while I was typing the post.  Another reason why Keim is the best.

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 2