Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm curious how much influence Eugene Shen has on our draft. I know he's an analytics guy but is he more of a gameday analytics guy(so he works more with the coaches) or a roster-building analytics guy(so he works more with Peters)?

So he’s done both from what I read. In Miami he drilled down on analytics as it relates to evaluating personnel—college prospects, Free Agents, and contracts. But with us (and in Jacksonville at some point I believe) he’s in charge of the entire analytics operation. So other analytics employees work for him. All we really know I think is that he won’t be the “in the booth” analytics guy during games—so I would assume he’s less gameday strategy and more roster building theory.

So Peters will probably get bundles of reports from him and his staff on players and use them (or not) to his heart’s content. And Quinn will get info on opponent tendencies and gameday decision-making and use that (or not) to his own heart’s content. But my impression is that there’s no “authority” for Shen and his people, simply more information for the decision-makers. Which is normal pretty much everywhere except for during Sashi Brown’s limited tenure as Brown’s GM, where he operated as a perceived pure analytics guy and was maybe a little ahead of his time (and for a bad org), then took a step back, and is now President of the Ravens organization which obviously has a healthy respect for analytics but also a deep, long history of being heavily scout/evaluator-led. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Conn said:

So he’s done both from what I read. In Miami he drilled down on analytics as it relates to evaluating personnel—college prospects, Free Agents, and contracts. But with us (and in Jacksonville at some point I believe) he’s in charge of the entire analytics operation. So other analytics employees work for him. All we really know I think is that he won’t be the “in the booth” analytics guy during games—so I would assume he’s less gameday strategy and more roster building theory.

So Peters will probably get bundles of reports from him and his staff on players and use them (or not) to his heart’s content. And Quinn will get info on opponent tendencies and gameday decision-making and use that (or not) to his own heart’s content. But my impression is that there’s no “authority” for Shen and his people, simply more information for the decision-makers. Which is normal pretty much everywhere except for during Sashi Brown’s limited tenure as Brown’s GM, where he operated as a perceived pure analytics guy and was maybe a little ahead of his time (and for a bad org), then took a step back, and is now President of the Ravens organization which obviously has a healthy respect for analytics but also a deep, long history of being heavily scout/evaluator-led. 

That's fair. Thanks.

I ask because the analytics really creates a divide among the QBs, and Harris being an analytics guy probably doesn't hire Peters if Peters doesn't have the same line of thinking.

DQ, Peters and the new regime reminding Payne of his 'Bama "daze"...

Washington Commanders Star Daron Payne Compares Team's 'New Feeling' to Alabama Days

Defensive tackle Daron Payne describes the new feeling throughout the Washington Commanders organization.

ISAIAH DEANDA DELGADO APR 06, 2024

image.thumb.png.d456a03238536d2007fdd0b5e52d9636.pngGeneral Manager Adam Peters and head coach Dan Quinn have brought a new energy to the Washington Commanders, and players are already feeling it in the offseason. 

Star defensive tackle Daron Payne explained what the current vibes in Washington feel like for Commanders’ players.

“It’s definitely a new feeling,” Payne said in an interview with Scott Abraham. I got this feeling when I was a freshman going into Alabama, and I got it again when I was a rookie coming here. It feels like the same type of energy.”

bleav in bears

x

undefined

Daron Payne (94)

Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

“It’s definitely a new feeling,” Payne said in an interview with Scott Abraham. I got this feeling when I was a freshman going into Alabama, and I got it again when I was a rookie coming here. It feels like the same type of energy.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Payne also said that he’s been training with the guys this offseason, which could be a great sign of things to come in the future, considering how many new additions to the team’s defense have been made in free agency, such as future Hall of Fame linebacker Bobby Wagner. 

Last year, at age 33, Wagner led the league in tackles while setting a new career high for his combined single-season total of 183. Wagner now joins Payne and Jonathan Allen on a defense that struggled last year, but the organization expects to turnaround considering that Quinn is a defensively-minded coach with multiple Super Bowl appearances from his involvement with teams like the Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons. 

Washington may be in a rebuilding, but the team is still loaded with talent on its defensive line even after moving defensive ends Chase Young and Montez Sweat at last year's trade deadline. 

Allen and Payne are old Alabama teammates who have found individual success in their careers. They have combined for three Pro Bowl appearances in the last three seasons. 

The hope is that Peters' additions to the team’s roster and Quinn’s presence will be enough to change the Commanders’ culture and shift the energy from being upset with losing that Allen vocalized a year ago, into becoming a winning environment going forward.

• Like 6

Josh Harris is changing us from a laughingstock to a well-run professional football team. For the first time in a long time, I feel good about our direction.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

This new hire doesn't exactly match the thread title but it's worth noting and it's close enough.

Josh Harris doesn't do F minus. I love that about him and his approach.

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

This new hire doesn't exactly match the thread title but it's worth noting and it's close enough.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/commanders-hire-new-director-of-rehabilitation-and-senior-physical-therapist

What's crazy to me is that so many other teams have had this position in place (or something with the same function and different name) for years and this is the first time we are doing it, per the Commanders won website. Its so disappointing to me that Snyder never took winning seriously. It was always a cash grab. 

I think of all the times I told my folks not to get me anything Redskins/Commanders/WFT related so as not to pay that man, and they did it anyway. Yuck. Always the most disappointing Christmas gifts. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, Llevron said:

What's crazy to me is that so many other teams have had this position in place (or something with the same function and different name) for years and this is the first time we are doing it, per the Commanders won website. Its so disappointing to me that Snyder never took winning seriously. It was always a cash grab. 

I think of all the times I told my folks not to get me anything Redskins/Commanders/WFT related so as not to pay that man, and they did it anyway. Yuck. Always the most disappointing Christmas gifts. 

Snyder wanted to win. He just had no idea how to build an actual winning organization and top notch infra structure. Remember, he made his billions as a glorified telemarketer. He doesn't understand things like synergy, efficiency, leadership, organization etc. etc. This is the same guy who didn't know how to use email. His approach was that we can just throw money at star players and we'll win without building up any of the necessary behind the scenes stuff that the real top notch franchises do. 

Harris on the other hand is a finance/hedge fund guy and those dudes are all about finding competitive advantages and not having inefficiencies. Its in their lifeblood. I'm sure it killed Harris when he saw how poor our infrastructure was in areas where there is no salary cap and in a few years time they'll be completely resolved.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Snyder wanted to win. He just had no idea how to build an actual winning organization and top notch infra structure. Remember, he made his billions as a glorified telemarketer. He doesn't understand things like synergy, efficiency, leadership, organization etc. etc. This is the same guy who didn't know how to use email. His approach was that we can just throw money at star players and we'll win without building up any of the necessary behind the scenes stuff that the real top notch franchises do. 

Harris on the other hand is a finance/hedge fund guy and those dudes are all about finding competitive advantages and not having inefficiencies. Its in their lifeblood. I'm sure it killed Harris when he saw how poor our infrastructure was in areas where there is no salary cap and in a few years time they'll be completely resolved.

I don't disagree with your post.  Dan clearly did not know how to build a winning franchise.  However, I would also call him cheap.  He had no problem spending money on players, but he didn't care about the facilities.  The wives complaining about baby changing stations is a one of many many small examples.  Redskins park is outdated and just plain poor.  Dead last in the player association survey is just not good.  Dan never bothered or cared to spend money to improve the working conditions.

Harris is simply doing it how it should be and better than many other owners.

That’s interesting. Have there been any hints or rumors that we’re redesigning anything in the short term or do we think it’ll wait until there’s a final referendum on the current branding in the coming years? 

• Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Was not sure what thread to put this in.

It kinda fits here I guess.

Xximage.png.b4059f1178b420f7b90011b82bd7c6ed.png

I like this helmet look more than their main one.

1 hour ago, Conn said:

That’s interesting. Have there been any hints or rumors that we’re redesigning anything in the short term or do we think it’ll wait until there’s a final referendum on the current branding in the coming years? 

Haven't heard anything, but my guess is that since they've put any potential name change on the back burner (for now) that any potential uni change is on the back burner of the back burner, so to speak.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Conn said:

I just remembered we're not supposed to discuss this topic.

My bad.

Edited by redskinss
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

I honestly don't think we'll rebrand.

I know they say it's not a priority but my opinion is that's a line.

A brand is too important to let fester, if you're going to change it, it's imperative that you do it quickly so that the current brand doesn't continue to cement itself. 

I honestly know nothing about branding, so this is an uneducated opinion but I pretty firmly believe it.

Edited by Tyler Spiers

On 4/7/2024 at 5:06 PM, CommanderInTheRye said:

DQ, Peters and the new regime reminding Payne of his 'Bama "daze"...

Washington Commanders Star Daron Payne Compares Team's 'New Feeling' to Alabama Days

If only Mathis could get motivated somehow instead of playing in a daze

Edited by DWinzit
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Don’t expect an improved Sean Taylor statue if Josh’s Iverson one is any indication:

At least that looks like a statue and not a mannequin from the GAP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s when that other not to be named issue might be addressed; when the new stadium has started construction.

You will want that taken care of by then.

Right now, the most important thing on the menu is getting a deal for the new stadium.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/015/commanders-coach-dan-quinn-making-most-second-chance

Dan Quinn took the extra two weeks the NFL affords to new coaches at the start of the offseason program, kicking off his first one in Washington on April 2. Over the years, those have generally been used to get a jump on players lifting together, meeting with new coaches, and getting a jumpstart on installing new schemes.

And all of that has been mixed into the Washington Commanders’ past two weeks in Ashburn.

But the more important stuff, as Quinn sees it, had nothing to do with X’s and O’s.

To kick off the offseason program, he gave his assistant coaches and players a homework assignment, asking them to put together their version of “My Story.” Each would be a PowerPoint presentation, with pictures, to show teammates and colleagues their why.

“In the first couple weeks, I really just want the connection—player to player, coaches with players,” Quinn says. “That’s at the top of the pile. I’ve always felt like you can coach people to the depth of that relationship. The better you know somebody, the harder and deeper that coaching can go. If it’s just surface level, it’ll be surface-level coaching. As we’re building these relationships from coaches to coaches and players to players, and there's a lot of new players in the locker room, we’ll get good, but we have to get good in the locker rooms and the meeting rooms first.

“That connection and the way we talk, and past that, the spirit of competition, whether it’s in the weight room, doing workouts, talking s--t, having fun, pushing each other to see where it can get to, that’s where

the real competition is. It’s you and me going out to train or run and pushing one another to see how good we can get.”

That ties the two baseline tentpoles of Quinn’s new program—connection and competition.

Truth is that’s not much different than what he’d emphasized in Atlanta over five-plus seasons, including three trips to the playoffs and a Super Bowl appearance. The competition piece is, in part, borrowed from the Pete Carroll program that Quinn worked in twice. The connection element is something that’s always been Quinn’s own. So, the Commanders aren’t getting a totally different guy that the Falcons got nine years ago.

That said, if the bones are the same, the body around them has changed. Quinn was fired about a month after his 50th birthday—back in October 2020—and rather than wallow, the ever-positive coach took the spot he was in and turned it into a pivot point. He learned more about himself, and what he did well and didn’t in his first shot at being an NFL head coach, to prepare himself to be better, and especially if a second chance came along.

That second chance is here. He’s arrived with a new owner, and, alongside new GM Adam Peters, has been armed with the No. 2 pick in the NFL draft to address his new franchise’s decades-long quarterback need. As such, he’ll attack this one a bit differently—and with lessons learned informing the differences in who he is now as a coach.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1