Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

32 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I loved the Ben Sinnott phone call. He was so excited and his two girlfriends both genuinely looked happy for him.

Wait until he starts dating a billionaire pop music star!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve gotten soft in my old age, watching the video with Peter’s and Quinn calling the draftee’s got my teary eyed for these guys. Hope they make it in the league.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)

JP Finlay on Mitch Rales' (co-owner 2nd only to Harris) recent podcast where he discussed how they intend to rebuild the fan base after decades of neglect and mismanagement.

Rales, to me, is first and foremost, an outstanding human being who happens to also be a great businessman. Those two things don't often go hand in hand.

He's the perfect, behind the scenes, compliment to Josh Harris. A true mensch.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

JP Finlay on Mitch Rales' (co-owner 2nd only to Harris) recent podcast where he discussed how they intend to rebuild the fan base after decades of neglect and mismanagement.

Good stuff.

Indoctrinating young kids is always a winning strategy to build up a fan base. Its both a short term and long term payoff.

I fully and 100% support the idea proposed by Rales. Its repeatable too, so you get the advantages with every new wave of kids.

That being said, I have always been a vocal backer of the multi-pronged approach when it comes to rebuilding the fan base and an excruciatingly obvious action does come to the very front of my mind in that regard.

Starts w/ Jumbo and ends w/ tron.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Rales, to me, is first and foremost, an outstanding human being who happens to also be a great businessman. Those two things don't often go hand in hand.

That video was excellent, and let’s be honest many of us (including myself) being in my early 50’s now and growing up in the 80’s and 90’s and the glory days of this great franchise are more then likely the only reason we are still fans of this team… had those days growing up not have happened I’m sure by now growing up outside of Baltimore and still working in Bmore City I would have jumped ship and been a Ravens fan … we need that type of franchise again and fan base for sure 

Edited by Command The 414
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I love where Mitch Rales talks about building a Hall of Fame next to a new stadium or HQ. Long overdue and there is so much they can do with that. You can tell they want to engage the fans and ex-players as much as possible. It's going to be fun to be a fan again.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Rales was arguably the most important part of the sale process.

I have some ~sources~ connected to the Harris group. Word is - actually I believe this was public - Josh needed to find a partner with deep enough pockets that their bid would clear the NFL's regulations on debt financing for a team purchase. The problem is, what kind of ultra-high net worth deep pocketed billionaire would be content to write a large check and then not have control over the operation?

Turns out it was Mark Ein who brought Rales into the fold and the rest is history. Ein is ultra-connected, dude was Joe Biden's landlord and is neighbors with Tony Blinken. He's prob the one spearheading the RFK efforts with Rales closely involved as well. But in any case, that's why Ein is so prominently featured in the HOG despite not having a large economic stake. And as far as Rales goes, it takes a truly humble guy to have that much skin in the game while relinquishing all formal control to your partner with sports experience. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Branding part of it but Id guess lack of star power is part of it.  RG3 for example sold a ton of jerseys.  With the early hype, Chase seemed to have a lot of jersey sales judging by training camp.

But especally under Bruce-Ron there was so little star talent.  If Daniels has some early success I bet he sells.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Branding part of it but Id guess lack of star power is part of it.  RG3 for example sold a ton of jerseys.  With the early hype, Chase seemed to have a lot of jersey sales judging by training camp.

But especally under Bruce-Ron there was so little star talent.  If Daniels has some early success I bet he sells.

If they put a reasonable product on the field for two years, solidify stadium plans and make a name change - merch will FLY out the door.

200.webp?cid=790b7611n585gie13kq1dd58pzw

:229:The Rook

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 2.46.02 PM.png

image.thumb.png.bfa144a834d57aa60645b9af699743ae.png

Every time I see it I laugh at it, like we all do.

Then I start to think how sad, frustrated, and unfulfilled Rivera must feel inside to have publicly said it in the first place and while I don't exactly feel sorry for him, it does give me pause.

We all know he was basically a decent guy (but a poor coach) who was stuck in a nearly impossible situation.

He tried valiantly m, but ultimately ineptly, and like so many others before him, he eventually succumbed to Snyder's inertial damping field that became the ruin and final resting place of many sterling reputations and careers.

Shame really.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Then I start to think how sad, frustrated, and unfulfilled Rivera must feel inside to have publicly said it in the first place and while I don't exactly feel sorry for him, it does give me pause.

We all know he was basically a decent guy and a poor coach who was caught in a nearly impossible situation.

He tried valiantly but ultimately ineptly, and like so many others before him, he eventually succumbed to Snyder's inertial damping field that became the ruin and final resting place of many sterling reputations and careers.

why is there this constant need to defend and make excuses for Rivera on this board like he is a bullied kid in the play yard? 

he didn't step in to a good situation with a crappy owner.. true, but everything else is his own doing!

1. Generally idiotic statements in the media and in the press, that frankly intelligent GMs just don't do

2. Criminal roster contraction and management

3. Atrocious drafting all around

4. Terrible hiring decisions of coaches and then giving them too much control

5. idiotically blind loyalty to players and coaches that didnt deserve it (cheeseman ring a bell?) 

He was SO bad as a GM/HC that that i can not find a single positive from his tenure here. This might be an unpopular opinion in this new whiny/ ****y world we now live in, but i also dont accept the "oh but he had cancer" excuse.

If battling cancer was effecting his ability to make proper decisions that much and he is truly the stand up guy that media makes him out to be .. then he should have retired for his own benefit and for the benefit of the team.

I also feel that the whole notion that Rivera is at least a "nice guy" overblown. Not that i really give a crap... Coaches arent paid to be nice guys, they are paid to win. The "nice guy" notion is probably propagated by the players that he keeps on the roster that have no business being there... and the GMs that rake Rivera over the barrel on trades, hang up the phone and then high five each other on how they once again took advantage of this buffoon.

But no, by all means... give him a participation trophy along with the ~30mil in salary that he got from the team and make excuses for poor old Ronnie

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not surprising at all. Looks a bit worse when you factor in that we were 27th in avg attendance so there were generally less fans at the games themselves spending this amount of money on food n booze.

Personally, I don't go out and throw money at 3rd party stuff as this guy suggests tho. I just have no desire to buy Commanders stuff and that's where it stops.

Daniels would certainly help the team merch sales and attendence cause this year if he balls out. Its gonna take more than that tho.

In the mean time, I'm just waiting.

Edited by FootballZombie

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am puzzled that Philli fans spend so little on alcohol. Its either a misprint or are they sneaking beers inside their boots?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, oraphus said:

why is there this constant need to defend and make excuses for Rivera on this board like he is a bullied kid in the play yard? 

he didn't step in to a good situation with a crappy owner.. true, but everything else is his own doing!

1. Generally idiotic statements in the media and in the press, that frankly intelligent GMs just don't do

2. Criminal roster contraction and management

3. Atrocious drafting all around

4. Terrible hiring decisions of coaches and then giving them too much control

5. idiotically blind loyalty to players and coaches that didnt deserve it (cheeseman ring a bell?) 

He was SO bad as a GM/HC that that i can not find a single positive from his tenure here. This might be an unpopular opinion in this new whiny/ ****y world we now live in, but i also dont accept the "oh but he had cancer" excuse.

If battling cancer was effecting his ability to make proper decisions that much and he is truly the stand up guy that media makes him out to be .. then he should have retired for his own benefit and for the benefit of the team.

I also feel that the whole notion that Rivera is at least a "nice guy" overblown. Not that i really give a crap... Coaches arent paid to be nice guys, they are paid to win. The "nice guy" notion is probably propagated by the players that he keeps on the roster that have no business being there... and the GMs that rake Rivera over the barrel on trades, hang up the phone and then high five each other on how they once again took advantage of this buffoon.

But no, by all means... give him a participation trophy along with the ~30mil in salary that he got from the team and make excuses for poor old Ronnie

why is there this constant need to defend and make excuses for Rivera... <clip> yada yada repeat of stuff that everyone already knows...

I love the passion!

Just question your comprehension of my original posts intent. 🙂

That could well be my fault, in that I could have explained my position in a way that you might have understood it better. I'll briefly attempt to remedy that now.

I didn't intend, as you put it, to defend or make excuses for Rivera?

He's an adult. He knew the problems that other coaches and GM s had experienced here. No one put a gun to his head. He negotiated a lucrative contract and came here fully aware of the reputational risks involved.

What you have called defending or making excuses for Rivera is actually my effort to express the shame-- I feel-- for this once proud and well respected man, who in desperate need of personal validition, resorted to making this pathetic statement...

image.thumb.png.9313389d04162ce6683f5abb0c2692c6.png

Those words are nothing less than a transparently self-serving effort to bring some minute semblance of validity to what is objectively-- his complete and total failure as coach, and general manager of this team.

And that he actually went ahead and said it, hoping that it would improve his situation, even though it only served to further debase what little honor he had left, is indeed a terrible shame, and something that continues to give me pause--- even though I sstill can't help but laugh when I read it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

why is there this constant need to defend and make excuses for Rivera... <clip> yada yada repeat of stuff that everyone already knows...

I love the passion!

Just question your comprehension of my original posts intent. 🙂

That could well be my fault, in that I could have explained my position in a way that you might have understood it better. I'll briefly attempt to remedy that now.

I didn't intend, as you put it, to defend or make excuses for Rivera?

I understood your post just fine...and it wasn't aimed at only you.. but also other posters who tend to defend or explain away Rons mistakes. 

We all know he was basically a decent guy (but a poor coach) who was stuck in a nearly impossible situation.

He tried valiantly m, but ultimately ineptly, and like so many others before him, he eventually succumbed to Snyder's inertial damping field that became the ruin and final resting place of many sterling reputations and careers.

It sounds like you're putting most of the blame on Snyder.. and while i agree that working for Snyder was no cakewalk.. it was not an "impossible situation" you make it out to be, and Rivera made his own bed with his own decisions that had little Snyder influence.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, oraphus said:

I understood your post just fine...and it wasn't aimed at only you.. but also other posters who tend to defend or explain away Rons mistakes. 

It sounds like you're putting most of the blame on Snyder.. and while i agree that working for Snyder was no cakewalk.. it was not an "impossible situation" you make it out to be, and Rivera made his own bed with his own decisions that had little Snyder influence.

I think the evidence overwhelmingly supports the conclusion that nobody could win with Snyder as the owner over the long haul, but who cares. lol

My last inflection on this argument will be to remind you that the entire reason for my posting anything at all on this subject was Rivera's self-serving statement, and my belief that it was the final act of a desperate man, well beyond reason, hope, or personal career redemption.

Regardless, this is a minor skirmish in an insignificant battle that's already been fought and won. 

Snyders gone, Rivera's gone, I suggest we conclude this cordially by saying-- good riddance to both of them! 

Onward and upward with a new cast of warriors. 

That's the battle we need to fight-- not some tempest in an old discarded  teapot.

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wow not surprising we are the near the very bottom of that list only out doing the Vikings but my goodness I can’t believe the high $ spent on the Bucs and the Cardinals… that is even more surprising imho….

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I used to be an apologist for Ron from three perspectives

A.  Dan Snyder was a horrible boss and EVERYONE working for him deserves to be graded on a curve.  I still feel that way.

B.  Lets give him time to see how his plan unfolds

C.  I thought he was building up to a big move (s) in year #4.

But he lost me the last off season.  He clearly wasn't building up to anything.  He's just a dude who runs at this speed and there is nothing he's ramping up towards.  The combination of watching his drafts not aging well combined with him having in my view a crap 2023 off season combined with a weird arrogance about him and combined with a weird fascination of trying to defend Dan Snyder -- he lost me.

If I had to conjure up what really pissed me off more than anything it would be his passionate defense of Dan Snyder.  If he wanted to claim to the bitter end that Dan was great to him and gave him everything he wanted than cool I'll take him at his word that in effect it was his own incompetence that made this team a loser not so much Dan. 

Becoming a Dan apologist coupled with his lack of urgency the previous off season coupled with his strange arrogance -- he lost me. 

I know Jason Wright seems to have many more haters here than Ron.  But I LOVE the fact that Jason kicked at Dan as he was leaving and clearly Dan didn't dig him for it including not even mentioning Jason in his exit press release.  Compare that to Ron who was kissing Dan's butt right to the bitter end.  I respect Jason over Ron on this front.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Just out of curiosity, why are we talking about Ron?

Until our local media decide to give him an image rehabilitation, just let him be.  

It's in the context of a roster overhaul juxtaposed the last off season where he was basically gloating that he gave the next regime a SB roster.

So irony coupled with feeling good with how it looks like we made a dramatc change for the better.

Heck even your boy Thor was on Galdi doubling down how he didn't like most of Ron's draft but thinks Peters killed it.  😎

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's in the context of a roster overhaul juxtaposed the last off season where he was basically gloating that he gave the next regime a SB roster.

So irony coupled with feeling good with how it looks like we made a dramatc change for the better.

Heck even your boy Thor was on Galdi doubling down how he didn't like most of Ron's draft but thinks Peters killed it.  😎

I couldn’t care less about Ron or Thor.  

Ron’s gone.

Thor’s an idiot.

Any questions?

5 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Shame really.

Rivera knew Snyder was one of the worst owners but got seduced by him and the Gm power Dan gave him. Yeah, no one could’ve predicted the off the field stuff of 2020 and name being changed but Skins were an organization to avoid.  Ron felt he didn’t to deserve to fired from Carolina; so he jumped at the opportunity here . I’ll prove everyone, I am right.

Ron should’ve taken a year off.   So there’s no pity for him at all. He made a deal with the devil.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1