Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Just now, Bacon said:

They're both likable, player-centric, defensive-minded HC retreads who made it to one SB and fell short. It's an on-brand hire for us.

There's not much to be excited about here until the rest of the staff is hired. Hopefully some innovation comes through elsewhere.

One went back to being a DC and built one of the best defenses in the league for multiple seasons. The other went from a losing season as head Coach in Carolina to the Head Coach here the next year. They arent similar at all. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What's the first thing Quinn must address in Washington?

Keim: Finding a top offensive coordinator. While Quinn's downfall in Atlanta was his defense, the offense needs to be addressed first in Washington. The Commanders will likely select a quarterback with the second pick in the 2024 draft, so it's imperative that Quinn has a well-developed offensive plan.

That means not only the coordinator but also the quarterbacks coach. He'll also need to have a good succession plan in place in case his coordinator excels and quickly leaves for a head-coaching position. Washington currently has Eric Bieniemy as the offensive coordinator and Tavita Pritchard as quarterbacks coach. Both are under contract for 2024.

Houston made it work after hiring a defensive-minded coach in DeMeco Ryans and picking a quarterback at No. 2 to play for first-year offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik.

Quinn had his greatest success in Atlanta with Shanahan as his coordinator. The offense, with quarterback Matt Ryan and receivers Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley, ranked first in points and second in yards in 2016. The offense ranked top 10 in yards in each of Quinn's final three seasons and was top 13 each year in scoring as well.

Finding a quarterback is second on the to-do list.

Thanks for sharing. This bit is what worries me most. We need lightning to strike twice essentially. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

One went back to being a DC and built one of the best defenses in the league for multiple seasons. The other went from a losing season as head Coach in Carolina to the Head Coach here the next year. They arent similar at all. 

AND had personnel control, for which he was clearly not qualified.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MintHillSkinsFan said:

Makes me want to vomit.  New ownership, same stupid decisions.  Another Jerry Jones agent sent to wreak havoc and keep our team down from within.  Norv, Alvin Harper, Deion, Scott Turner, it never ends well bringing cowboy retreads into DC.  Prepare for several more years of mediocrity. 

Now I'm sure they'll add icing to the cake by drafting the head case qb from USC.  I'm just glad I'm not as emotionally invested in this team, or the NFL in general as I was when I was younger.  Sundays on the golf course are beautiful in the fall......

These two statements make me wonder how you reacted when you were younger.  I'm glad you have mellowed down to "vomit".

;)

:229:The Rook

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He did a great job in Dallas, championship game aside, but I'm not sure what that has to do with him as a head coach. Not everyone is at their best in that role. 

Hopefully he stays out of personnel decisions, uses his connections to bring in some creative coordinators and brings some fire and motivation to the players that they sorely lacked this year under Ron. I'm sure Dan will be motivated to prove himself as an HC after the way things ended in ATL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

Got to get the right OC for Maye or Daniels. I can see Quinn as the motivator type, but I guess he forgot to motivate that defense when the Pack came to Dallas. 

Might want to read a little bit about the circumstances surrounding his D on that single occasion.

18 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Keim, the most reliable reporter on the Commanders, have been saying for a while now that Johnson was not a lock, Quinn was very high, and they had not settled on any particular candidate when Johnson withdrew and Macdonald took the Seattle job.  Yet so many seem to take rando aggregator takes to buy that Commanders got spurned by their top choices and had to settle on Quinn.  Just having a Twitter account or YouTube channel doesn't make one a reliable source of info. 

To be fair, the CBS pregame show (Phil Simms) said that Johnson to Washington was happening. That’s a bit different than a fan blog or YouTube channel.

Just now, Ball Security said:

To be fair, the CBS pregame show (Phil Simms) said that Johnson to Washington was happening. That’s a bit different than a fan blog or YouTube channel.

To be fair, wasn't he also the one who said Bezos was going to be the owner.. ?

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Quinn is big into that tee shirt over long sleeve **** that I pull off. We got that in common.

Are people in your life telling you you’re pulling it off? 

IMG_3487.jpeg

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Classing Quinn as the football hire and Ron has the character hire when Ron’s record of 76-67-1 in Carolina is better than Quinn’s 43-42 is a new one.

It's like the reverse of the character assassination dumps after an unpopular firing or cut or trade. Desperately trying to get the fan base on board with a selection every one and their mother knows wasn't 1st, or 2nd choice. Hey, it could be Zorn, I'm not saying it's that bad, but it aint good either, it's very much a similar tier to Riverboart Ron, recycyling a lesser Gruden etc, with arguments suggesting why it might be better, or worse, depending upon your perspective.

To me, it's basically blah, I find it nearly impossible to believe this will be the guy that will take us to the promise land. Double digit win land? Maybe, promise land or consistent contention? Zero evidence of to support either conclusion, and for me anyway, I prefer hot, younger, more modern coordinators, to retreads, always. Doesn't mean it works (mostly it fails) but retreads with a proven .500ish or worse track record pretty much NEVER succeed, w/only rare exceptions, like the humungous one that is Bellichick.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Any time you make historical references, it's not a good sign. Andy Reid didn't get fired because he was losing but because he couldn't get over the hump. His overall record is not bad, but it feels like Ron 2.0 on certain levels. 

16 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

Got to get the right OC for Maye or Daniels. I can see Quinn as the motivator type, but I guess he forgot to motivate that defense when the Pack came to Dallas. 

Oh Dallas always blows it. Carolina could of come in there and beat them. It's the curse of Jerry Jones firing Jimmy Johnson and won't end until Jerry is not in charge anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall haveing a longish exchange with @Voice_of_Reason about Quinn early on. 

I want to clarify for everybody else's benefit, this longish exchange did NOT include me pushing for Quinn.  It was simply a discussion back and forth.

I wanted an offensive guy also.  I thought it was going to be Johnson.  I was cool with that.  However, I had more concerns about Johnson than most. 

I started saying in October that Quinn probably deserved a second shot at HC, though probably not here.  Well, part of this came true: he's getting his second shot, but he's getting it here.

The one absolute positive I can take from this is Quinn does strike me as somebody who is somewhat introspective.  I would imagine in the last 3 years he has done some reflection on what worked and what didn't work in Atlanta.  He also has solidified himself as one of the best DCs in the game.  So, it's very possible we're getting a better version of the coach than the one who left Atlanta 3 years ago.  

This is so different than Ron, who went from one HC job directly to the next, and CLEARLY had no self reflection because he brought basically the entire staff and half the players who got him fired in Carolina with him to help him get fired in Washington.  

We'll have to see how the staff plays out.  But I think lumping Ron and Quinn together because they're both defensive HCs who are on their second team is simplifying things too much.  

Now we wait and see how the staff fills out.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

Any time you make historical references, it's not a good sign. Andy Reid didn't get fired because he was losing but because he couldn't get over the hump. His overall record is not bad, but it feels like Ron 2.0 on certain levels. 

Reid was 8-8 then 4-12 in his last two seasons as Eagles head coach. He has since gone on to be the best coach in the NFL. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Reid was 8-8 then 4-12 in his last two seasons as Eagles head coach. He has since gone on to be the best coach in the NFL. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8e2f2f3e4bdf787950e420ecdc41096c.jpeg
“so you’re telling me there’s a chance” - Ron Rivera, somewhere 2024

Edited by mh86
  • Haha 1

Just now, kingdaddy said:

It’s a QB driven league. The biggest indicator of Quinn will be successful or not will be who we select with the second overall pick. Quinn’s fate as a head coach is tied to that decision. Nothing else matters if that selection is a bust. It’s game over for Quinn here and ever being a HC again.

There is probably a 10% chance we hit on that pick. If we do, then the view of Quinn will be changed forever because he is smart enough to surround that pick with coaches who will develop him.