Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I want to be clear. I’m not arguing you’re wrong. I’m arguing that it’s not open and shut. There are advantages to both jobs, and Chicago. And others. It’s not black and white. 

I understand, but I think that this job will be harder to fill.  All we really have as an advantage over other teams is cap space.  We don’t have the #1 pick to draft Caleb Williams (plus another Top 10 pick), and we don’t have a franchise QB/LT like the Chargers have.  Add in the fact that our facilities are garbage tier, and that we play in a garbage heap called Fed-Ex Field, I’m having a hard time seeing how we’re more attractive of a job than Chicago or LA.  Maybe we get lucky.

38 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It takes time to replace talent, especially if they are getting rid of most of what they have first.  Amd that's if they get it right, they already got it wrong once.

Sure, but we are talking about how attractive a job is to a GM or coach candidate.  They are going to assume that they are going to get it right.

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The Chargers won’t win 9 games this season… and wouldnt have even if Herbert was healthy the last two. He was awful before he went out last week.

That team is in a bad situation.

While I agree franchise QBs are an organizational flipper… they aren’t everything. You need other pieces. The Chargers are lacking a lot of those other pieces. They are a mess. 

To your question: I’d rather be the Commanders situation. They are set up better for the long term. 

When you factor the stadium and such in that changes things, too, of course. But from a football standpoint Washington has more room to grow/mold/quick turnaround. 

I don't know if I completely agree that the Chargers were that far away from being a contender with Herbert.  The last two weeks they have not had Herbert and got outscored 24-7 and 63-21 and -59 point differential.   With Herbert they were 5-7, but had a positive 17 point differential meaning they were a little bit better than their record indicated.  I don't think this Chargers team was really that different from teh teams that went 10-7 and 9-8 the past couple years, I think this team was just losing close games.  That said the last couple weeks they have collapsed and the difference between Herbert and Stick doesn't explain a lot of what happened the past couple weeks.  I think the team kind of gave up

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I don't know if I completely agree that the Chargers were that far away from being a contender with Herbert.  The last two weeks they have not had Herbert and got outscored 24-7 and 63-21 and -59 point differential.   With Herbert they were 5-7, but had a positive 17 point differential meaning they were a little bit better than their record indicated.  I don't think this Chargers team was really that different from teh teams that went 10-7 and 9-8 the past couple years, I think this team was just losing close games.  That said the last couple weeks they have collapsed and the difference between Herbert and Stick doesn't explain a lot of what happened the past couple weeks.  I think the team kind of gave up

This.  It’s rare that we get to see teams quit on their HC in real time, but that’s what happened on Thursday night.  That team quit on Brandon Staley.  It was embarrassing watching the Chargers D give up the plays that they did to Aidan O’Connell and the Raiders (a team that couldn’t even score a point 4 days earlier).  Staley was probably the worst coach in the NFL, and Thursday night provided a deep dive into why he was the worst.

Edited by samy316

Chi's opening has the unfair advantage of pretty much locking in that #1 pick right now.

If we finish w/ draft pick 2 or 3 It would monumentally increase the attractiveness of our openings as it allows new hires to jump on the job due to falling in love with someone in the draft.

Similar to Chi and Williams, if a candidate loves Maye/Daniels/Harrison, and we can guarantee one or two of them will be there when we pick, that's a pretty strong lure.  We can't guarantee that right now tho.

By reputation and rumors to those close to him, Josh is willing to spend.  I know he spent a lot of money to obtain the team.  But for him to be strapped and be frugal would be a radical departure for him.  For other teams, he will outspend for FO people, GMs and go state of the art with facilities, etc.  And Josh has more or less already said that this team is the most important to him as to his legacy.

He's already spent more money on upgrading the stadium versus Dan in like 20 years if I recall.  And they are just getting started.  They are about to pour in much more from what I heard.

Already heard a couple of reporters say that GM prospects found Josh charming in the owners meeting setting.

A national reporter (Russini) and a local (Keim) both referenced that they get the vibe Harris is going to spend big in FA this year.

So I am not expecting anything even close to Josh being cash poor for the off season.  Every indication is the opposite.

Where the cash stuff might have some bearing is the stadium. That's billions.  And I doubt Josh can self finance.  But even for that, I've heard multiple reporters say now Josh's heavy preference is RFK.  If it was all about money, Maryland would be the no brainer choice.  They already own the land and the Maryland Governor has already flat out said he'd be aggressive including proving funding for it

I firmly believe this will be a desirable job.  The ownership group, the draft capital and salary cap space as well as being a former storied franchise would be appealing to a lot of candidates.  

Herbert is going nowhere.

I am not a big Jon Allen guy, always felt he was overrated, but if they trade him as has been discussed here then they have only 1 legit DL on the roster.  A strength suddenly will be a big need that will need to be addressed.  

I can’t believe I’m on the side of this job being fairly desirable. I’ve been one of the most negative on this roster and the position the franchise is in for years, including after Harris was hired. But the cap space, a potential top 5 pick and a blank slate is a selling point. I’m not a NFL GM candidate, but I’d be allured by this job

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

I think this position is more desirable than most of the others too. Yeah we got a bazillion holes, but we have money and draft assets to fill a bunch of them.

Outside of the facilities, which you gotta assume will get at least a little bit better in the short term, The only major drawback is that weird pseudo stipulation from that article that @Skinsinparadise posted a few days back where our GM and Head Coach will likely need to be more charismatic with the media and fans due to the need of rebuilding the fanbase. That means there are kinda some non-football elements that will need to be dealt with alongside the position in order to truly be successful here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

The roster we had going into this season that we thought was so talented, turned out to be severely overrated with LOTS of holes.

And the Chargers roster isn't? They won 5 games, WITH Justin Herbert. Plus they're about ~$60m over the cap in effective cap space. Dean Spanos doesn't have the best reputation as an owner either. Allen is aging and has one more year on his deal, Bosa is constantly hurt, Williams is hurt, Eckler is a FA, I think. Mack is 33? Derwin James is good, but he's injury prone and likes to get Personal Fouls. They have Slater, sure, but then what? The don't have the room to make a bunch of moves.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

I'm going to join this current off topic tangent on desirability of open hc/ front office position because I just heard Jay Glaser say that "everyone" from coordinators to coaches to gms to agents are saying it is L.A. that's the hot spot.

He noted a new state of the art training facility and very energized fan base along with a lot of existing talent on the roster along with how Herbert's perceived by the actual NFL people in these positions. For whatever that's worth.

And I do feel a tad guilty cuz this tangent  would be good material in the other thread more appropriate for it.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 3

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lions had basically the same record we did last year.  Half a game difference.  That's it.

Shows what an off season of stepping on the gas does -- good draft, adding offensive weapons versus our version of stepping off the gas.

My point is this rebuild doesn't have to take forever.  It does take forever, if you draft poorly and have no sense of urgency but that regime will be gone soon. 

Comparing us to Detroit heading into last offseason is an enormous stretch. They had a +26 point differential, we were -22. More importantly, they finished 8-2. Everyone knew they were a team on the rise. Absolutely no one thought that about Washington. 

They also had an extra top 10 pick int eh draft and a ton more cap space to use. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I can’t believe I’m on the side of this job being fairly desirable. I’ve been one of the most negative on this roster and the position the franchise is in for years, including after Harris was hired. But the cap space, a potential top 5 pick and a blank slate is a selling point. I’m not a NFL GM candidate, but I’d be allured by this job

You should be a candidate, you'd be the best GM we've had since Bobby B. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Jets, Bears, Pats, Titans wins all on the early slate wishlist 

All of a sudden the Bears defense is legit....since they dealt for Montez it's like the entire defense got better. They fly to the ball and their d-line is physical as hell. They could easily win to day if Fields just plays safe and makes a few plays. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

Sure, but we are talking about how attractive a job is to a GM or coach candidate.  They are going to assume that they are going to get it right.

Assumptions get you killed.

They still need to convince other coaches and pending free agents (whenever they get the cap space to do so).

Anytime I hear $41 million over the cap for a nonplayoff roster I see hot mess that will take more then a year to remedy. 

How long are rebuilds supposed to take?  Anybody ask him how he feels about gutting the roster and waiting until it's playoff ready again?

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

And the Chargers roster isn't? They won 5 games, WITH Justin Herbert. Plus they're about ~$60m over the cap in effective cap space. Dean Spanos doesn't have the best reputation as an owner either. Allen is aging and has one more year on his deal, Bosa is constantly hurt, Williams is hurt, Eckler is a FA, I think. Mack is 33? Derwin James is good, but he's injury prone and likes to get Personal Fouls. They have Slater, sure, but then what? The don't have the room to make a bunch of moves.

Exactly.

It's not caphell, but worse then people think if they keep saying Chargers have good players but have get rid of them to jus get under the Cap, forget replacing them.

This is similar like watching GS refuse to trade Curry knowing they don't have any good options to make another run before he retires.  The type of rebuild needed to resolve Chargers situation is going to waste a good chunk of Herbert's career, it shouldn't be crazy if there's a QB in this draft that's better then him to do this rebuild the right way.

Love to see what offers they turn down, could be franchise altering from a draft capital standpoint.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

there's only 32 of them in the entire NFL, and only a few become available every year.  There's no such thing as an NFL GM job that's not desirable

3 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

They also had an extra top 10 pick int eh draft and a ton more cap space to use. 

A ton of cap space?   We are coming at it with a lot more cap space than the Lions did.   Probably 5 times as much.    The 2nd round and 3rd round picks is likely going to end up about a wash between the two teams with both teams having 2 picks in both rounds around the same likely place.

The rest is likely us picking 4-5ish in the first with them having in the first round two picks #12 and #18.

Mueller who was GM of the year, years back, articulated it better than I can.  That is, you can rebuild and step on the gas much easier in recent years than years back -- more trades, college players are more pro ready (pro game mirrors college more), more cap room -- the cap has gone up more dramatically, etc.  He goes now, you can do it 1-2 years and you don't have to slow play this. 

I agree.  Dolphins, Lions among others aren't taking forever.  Accumulate picks. Hit those picks.  Add talent.  If they ride this back with Howell, I'd say close to 100% that what Keim and Russini have heard about them ready to be aggressive in FA will indeed happen.  It's nuts IMO not to considering context.  Howell is only cheap for another two seasons.  Now if they draft a QB instead, I could see more of a slow play.  

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/3/12/23636179/detroit-lions-salary-cap-space-amount-2023-free-agency

Where the Detroit Lions' salary cap space stands ahead of 2023 free agency

$32.6 million - $10.3 million = $22.3 million available at this time.

Edited by Skinsinparadise