Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

14 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I am worried about his pocket presence and ability to avoid sacks.

It's hard to avoid sacks when Howell constantly has five or six players immediately in his face from all three sides. 🙂

He has shown the ability to move and get out of harm's way (hence the number of rushing TDs he has), but even the most evasive QB in the league wouldn't stand a chance with the terribly inferior pass blocking of Washington's current o-line.

Edited by SkinsGuy
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I am the opposite.   I am confident in his ability to gain the respect of his teammate and stay cool and calm and command respect in the huddle.   

Add in his toughness and resilience. What player or anyone for that matter, not respect his ability to take hits, jump up and go right back to it. 

19 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I am worried about his pocket presence and ability to avoid sacks.

This may be worthy of concern. The issue is, without a decent OL, how can we be sure. Also, if he was to get a better OL how much can his decision making and pocket presence improve.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

What I'm thinking about is on these off schedule plays who is he finding. I need to look it up but it's obviously not Terry and Johan very often. Heinicke would scramble then find Terry. That's one key difference between the two. 

Brian Robinson has made a lot of it thoiugh

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RVAskins said:

The problem I have with that thinking is that there's a good chance you're going to get your QB killed sooner or later. Look how often Burrow has been injured. I want to build a team for long term success, not a one and done.

As long as Joe Burrow is the QB in Cincy their window is open. I have no idea how anyone can't see how this one player alone changed their team's future considerably.  

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He was an idiot for writing it when he did.  

It’s not debatable.  

It was a typical Washington Post hit piece.  

Well it is obviously debatable because we are debating it.  😁

We can spend all day defining bust but it seems pretty clear that Boz was more right than wrong as Chase was not offered a 5th year and was traded for a 3rd round comp pick.  Nobody expected that to happen on the day he was drafted.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Well it is obviously debatable because we are debating it.  😁

We can spend all day defining bust but it seems pretty clear that Boz was more right than wrong as Chase was not offered a 5th year and was traded for a 3rd round comp pick.  Nobody expected that to happen on the day he was drafted.  

He was wrong and stupid 6 games in.

Ge became right, but he had no way of knowing he was going to be proven right after the end of Young’s rookie season.

I really don’t care that much about Young.  My overall point is the media, print and radio (because we no longer have TV coverage of the team) is absolutely low IQ, rabble rousing, play to the lowest common denominator, dumb as poop drek which lowers the IQ of the fanbase. 

56 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As long as Joe Burrow is the QB in Cincy their window is open. I have no idea how anyone can't see how this one player alone changed their team's future considerably.

He’s now on his second major injury in 4 years.  And with a right wrist injury which appears to be very serious, who knows if he’s going to be the same when he gets back.  

He also has had a torn ACL.  

So, to your point, he’s great when he’s there.  But how long will he be there?

6 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

I think you need two years to judge for any QB, even when they are in a good environment. First rounders tend to get that time, and more - and if Sam had been taken in the first round, I think most people would be saying "give him another year with better support". 

In a vacuum this is fair. But we don’t exist in a vacuum, we exist in an offseason where we may have to make a tough decision with the only top-5 draft pick we may earn for the next decade. Who knows, but that’s certainly plausible. So if the next regime isn’t 100% sure about Howell, they have to weigh how to use that pick—even potentially on a QB. This was always why it was gonna be tough for Howell to prove himself quickly enough to ensure his status under the next staff, and the roster and coaching haven’t done him any favors. But if you’re the new GM/staff you can’t just blindly give him another year to see if he can develop further IF there’s a potential franchise QB staring you in the face who you like more. If. Because if you’re wrong, that’s a regime-killer. So you have to consider it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, c slag said:

Whom would be the better player between Alt from ND and Olu from Pa?

These are names (although I can't pronounce Olu's whole name) I consistently see as possible first round picks 

I like Fashanu over Alt, but neither would be BPA for me if we pick top five.  I'm going to have the top of the draft as:

1 - Williams

2 - Maye

3 - Bowers

4 - Harrison

5 - Daniels

6 - Verse

7 - Nabers

8 - Fashanu

Probably.

If we win a game or two down the stretch and end up picking ~8, then Fashanu becomes a lot more interesting to me.  But at 4?  I'd be thinking QB or one of the elite pass catchers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Who do we need to be rooting for/against today to help our draft position?

Anyone with 4 wins we want to win. The Saints winning and the Broncos losing will also help the SOS tiebreaker with the Giants. The Giants/Packers game is doubly nice if the Giants can pull that off. It will give them 5 wins, which is probably our ceiling. Plus it will weaken their SOS. The Jets and Bears pulling off an upset would be fantastic, but highly unlikely 

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He was wrong and stupid 6 games in.

Ge became right, but he had no way of knowing he was going to be proven right after the end of Young’s rookie season.

I really don’t care that much about Young.  My overall point is the media, print and radio (because we no longer have TV coverage of the team) is absolutely low IQ, rabble rousing, play to the lowest common denominator, dumb as poop drek which lowers the IQ of the fanbase. 

He’s now on his second major injury in 4 years.  And with a right wrist injury which appears to be very serious, who knows if he’s going to be the same when he gets back.  

He also has had a torn ACL.  

So, to your point, he’s great when he’s there.  But how long will he be there?

I stand by my position that Boz was more right than wrong when we look back at Chase Young's career in Washington. He was on it early and he appears to have been correct so no I don't see that as an example of low IQ media coverage.  

As for Borrow he will be in Cincy, and as a result they will be in the conversation of contenders, for a long long time.  Your injury points are pure speculation with no medical basis  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

24 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As for Borrow he will be in Cincy, and as a result they will be in the conversation of contenders, for a long long time.  Your injury points are pure speculation with no medical basis  

There were reports his wrist injury was extremely serious. He's already had an ACL injury.  There were some questions whether the wrist injury was possibly a career threatening injury.  I didn't make those up.

16 hours ago, RVAskins said:

The problem I have with that thinking is that there's a good chance you're going to get your QB killed sooner or later. Look how often Burrow has been injured. I want to build a team for long term success, not a one and done.

That's an easy problem to solve:  get the QB you truly believe is going to be the guy you have for the next decade +, and if you don't believe you can protect him right away, sit him.  Boom.  End of story.

If there is THAT GUY that you believe in available when you are drafting high enough like we will be,  (and you aren't convinced about the incumbent QB on roster), you ALWAYS draft the QB.  You have zero idea when you will be drafting in such rarified air again.  The incumbent may be good enough to keep you around .500 for most year, thus, making it all but impossible to trade up for that blue chip prospect you just love without mortgaging everything.

This day and age, everyone seems to think because you drafted a QB in the first round that you just HAVE to play him regardless of the state of the line.  That's just hogwash.  The most important thing in the NFL is the QB.  Nothing is even a close second.  You get them when you can and figure out a plan around that guy, even if it means sitting him his rookie year to keep him healthy.  That's hardly a novel concept.  

If Harris and the new GM are not convinced Howell is the guy and they are within quality range of drafting a QB that they truly believe in, I have no problem with them selecting that guy.  FA, scheme, and future drafting for O line (plus sitting the dude his rookie year) are all perfectly acceptable solutions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Redwards said:

That's an easy problem to solve:  get the QB you truly believe is going to be the guy you have for the next decade +, and if you don't believe you can protect him right away, sit him.  Boom.  End of story.

If there is THAT GUY that you believe in available when you are drafting high enough like we will be,  (and you aren't convinced about the incumbent QB on roster), you ALWAYS draft the QB.  You have zero idea when you will be drafting in such rarified air again.  The incumbent may be good enough to keep you around .500 for most year, thus, making it all but impossible to trade up for that blue chip prospect you just love without mortgaging everything.

This day and age, everyone seems to think because you drafted a QB in the first round that you just HAVE to play him regardless of the state of the line.  That's just hogwash.  The most important thing in the NFL is the QB.  Nothing is even a close second.  You get them when you can and figure out a plan around that guy, even if it means sitting him his rookie year to keep him healthy.  That's hardly a novel concept.  

If Harris and the new GM are not convinced Howell is the guy and they are within quality range of drafting a QB that they truly believe in, I have no problem with them selecting that guy.  FA, scheme, and future drafting for O line (plus sitting the dude his rookie year) are all perfectly acceptable solutions.

It’s actually not that simple nowadays. Coaches are fired in a year or less if the teams aren’t showing improvement. And it’s not just Reich, it’s become a bit of a thing lately. 

You don’t have the ability to bench your high first round QB and survive anymore. 

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It’s actually not that simple nowadays. Coaches are fired in a year or less if the teams aren’t showing improvement. And it’s not just Reich, it’s become a bit of a thing lately. 

You don’t have the ability to bench your high first round QB and survive anymore. 

49ers did it.  Chiefs did it.  Packers did it.

It really comes down to the management of the team and what they think.  Some teams have impatient management that can't see the big picture.  Some don't.  We will finally have management that can see the big picture running things here.

And if you have a situation where the GM and owner and coach are on the same page (especially in the beginning stages of a real rebuild like we need), then it's not a huge deal.  Harris has already stated that we may need to take a step back and that there are no shortcuts.  

I would find it extremely hard to believe that IF our new GM (whom Harris will empower) selects a QB that he truly believes in and the coach sits him a year in order to better protect him (assuming that our FA work has not done enough to build at least a satisfactory O line to protect right out of the gate) that the new coach would be in trouble.  Harris and the new management will know that bad state of things from the jump and know it'll take time.  They won't hold it against the new coach if we have to sit the QB a year.   I'm not worried about that at all.  Our owner is patient and knowledgeable.  Now...some of these other owners may very well be a different story.  

For the record, I'm down with whatever the new management decides.  If they want to build around Howell, I trust their judgement.  If they want to go QB, I'll trust that, too.  Basically, I'm just freaking psyched that I can actually trust the people in charge again.  LOL!!  😅

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep. I’m taking a QB if he’s there and you don’t pass on one drafting this high. You’re basically looking to rebuild and traded both of you’re book ends. With new management and the jury still out on Matt Howell you pull the trigger. 

Who’s to say when the next time the Commanders will be drafting this high. 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2023 at 1:25 PM, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

This is good work, @JamesMadisonSkins.  Sad that we are already looking at "ways to get the highest draft pick possible" with 5 weeks left in the season, but it is what it is.  But has anyone checked in on @kleese recently?   He's probably holed up somewhere figuring out a scenario where we could win all four games left and still get in the playoffs at 8-9!  :)

Careful what you wish for, JMS, I'm a UNC grad and I've watched every minute of every Howell and Drake game the past 5 years.... and as much as I love Howell, Drake's upside is clearly higher.  I really do NOT want to have to be playing against him twice a year for the next 10 years.

I am with you the last thing I want is for Giants to end up with Maye. I don’t want them with Daniels either.

If they escape QB Hell, then IMO they cement themselves as the third best team in the division 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Bears are playing legit good football at the moment. I think they will finish way better than us.

Fiields when I watch him is so much better when he’s running a lot like today. Their defense has played well of late.

Pats defense and Jets defense look strong too.

The 2 teams in the mix for top 5 with both a bad defense and offense are the Commanders and Giants as the season progrssses 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am with you the last thing I want is the Giants to end up with Maye. I don’t want them with Daniels either.

If they escape QB Hell, then IMO they cement themselves as the third best team in the division 

This is why we have to finish ahead of them in the draft. Trade back right in front of them for someone who wants Daniels and isn’t afraid to do something stupid to get him. Las Vegas, I am looking in your direction 

• Like 1